Author Topic: Women's March: What should my sign say?  (Read 29406 times)

Cranberries

• Stubble
Re: Women's March: What should my sign say?
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2017, 10:29:18 PM »
I'm going with one of these: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/amplifierfoundation/we-the-people-public-art-for-the-inauguration-and

Probably I'll go with the women in the flag headscarf, but I may go for  one of the other Shepard Fairey prints. Words feel pretty useless right now, and a good propaganda poster feels very right.

I believe the artwork should be downloadable from the Amplifier Foundation on the 19th, and it will be published as full page ads in the Washington Post on January 20th for people to make signs out of.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:34:36 PM by Cranberries »

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2017, 08:17:46 AM »
Women's Rights: Not Up For Grabs.

I'm totally using this, and I'll get a picture. Thank you for fixing my sign-related indecision!

My friend is doing A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution, which I also like.

edmundblackadder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »
There's also the signs available for printing at https://www.wokegiant.com/protest-signs/

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »
Following

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »
Some great ideas and links posted already! Here are some more great ones that are downloadable (including the Fairey ones), I'll probably blow one up and paste it to a board, and then put a saying on the other side like "united" or similar.

http://theamplifierfoundation.org/wtp_wmw_highresart/

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2017, 12:44:16 PM »
I have a friend marching with a bunch of balloons that all have "NO" written on them. I don't get the symbolism of the balloon, but it seems like a good visual.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »
A friend and I are thinking of going to the one in Ann Arbor and we though about doing two signs:

Sign 1: In Soviet Russia
SIgn 2: Pussy Grabs You!
This is good

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »
I have a friend marching with a bunch of balloons that all have "NO" written on them. I don't get the symbolism of the balloon, but it seems like a good visual.

Probably a lot easier to tie balloons to yourself than to carry a sign for 3+ hours :-)

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »

Actually, this is a great idea for maximum visibility!

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2017, 01:02:15 PM »
 Use my all-purpose go-to slogan for whenever I'm not quite sure exactly what I am complaining about:

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »
Free Ivanka!

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »
Mine might say:

Healthcare is a HUMAN right!

But I'm not sure.  Healthcare is the most direct issue I am concerned about today.
I am pro-choice, but my Oklahoma family would forever disown me if pictures of myself holding a prochoice sign were ever to become public.

Anyone have catchy healthcare slogans?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2017, 01:45:33 PM »

I think I will use this on one side, and some friends of mine in different states are interested in it, too! You just might go viral, Jakejake! Will send pix. Actually, it might be fun to have a bunch of balloons with "Women's Rights" on them plus a sign with an arrow pointing to them, saying "Not Up for Grabs".

Everyone, here are some valuable tips on staying safe. http://lifehacker.com/5859590/how-to-protest-safely-and-legally

In Manhattan, I don't expect much pushback from the local government or general population ( why is it that Trump is not popular in most areas where he did much business?) but elsewhere there may be tussles.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2017, 01:46:19 PM »
Mine might say:

Healthcare is a HUMAN right!

But I'm not sure.  Healthcare is the most direct issue I am concerned about today.
I am pro-choice, but my Oklahoma family would forever disown me if pictures of myself holding a prochoice sign were ever to become public.

Somewhat healthcare related, but also applicable to a broader range of issues:
"People > Profit" or "People over Profit"

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2017, 01:51:02 PM »

"Patients, not profits"
"Healthcare, not warfare"

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
Thanks for the great ideas.  These are way better than the ones I was thinking of doing.

pirate_wench

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2017, 10:21:13 PM »
I'm flying to Mexico Friday and missing the marches, but thought I would be a one woman and baby march in Cabo! Was also wondering what to put on a sign. I have my inauguration day t-shirt "No Es Me Presidente" but maybe I'll make a sign that says "I matter".  Or, "Children matter once outside the womb; healthy children and families deserve universal health care", Or "Trump, get off my lawn". " I Love My Neighbors, to the North AND the South" "My America is more than fetuses and wealthy white men" "Women are more than reproductive organs" Breathe, breathe, breathe.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2017, 05:44:33 AM »
I'm a little worried it might rain here this weekend, and my scooter shorts out in the rain. I may have to just bring a stool and park myself with a sign in front of City Hall (where our march is starting). I wonder if I could write something on my umbrella...hmmm...

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2017, 06:13:03 AM »

I like this one. 

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2017, 06:25:03 AM »
"No Es Me Presidente"
Just change it to "No Es Mi Presidente" if you do this one.  Me would be pronounced meh in Spanish

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2017, 08:14:10 AM »
Still looking for something to put on the other side of my poster.  I'd like it to say something about religious/racial tolerance, or the environment.

SPLC has printables here at any rate:
https://www.splcenter.org/news/2017/01/13/southern-poverty-law-center-official-supporter-women%E2%80%99s-march-washington

Edited to add more ideas:
Stop Putting Arsonists In Charge of the Fire Dept.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me (with picture of Statue of Liberty)
If not us, then who? If not now, then when?
Show Quality: Support Equality!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:47:20 PM by Poundwise »

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2017, 10:08:45 AM »
Tweet This!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2017, 10:46:04 AM »
I also like "Have you no sense of decency, Sir?"  Because you know, those are the words credited with starting the takedown of McCarthyism.  And Roy Cohn was a mentor of Trump.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »
"Have you no sense of decency, Sir?"

This might be my favorite. 

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »
I've also been trying to come up with a sign; there's just too much to say.

Some that I liked:
We should all be feminists
Get your tiny hands off my pussy
Liberty and justice for ALL
Trump for unpresident
Such an illegitimate president, sad!
Delete your account
Putin's puppet
Pussy riot
The end is near
Epic fail
This is the way the world ends
Rage against the dying of the light

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
"Is it too Late to Abort The Donald?"

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »
Your Twitter is Twaddle

Pussies scratch and bite--Beware!

Your words are not Golden (but your showers are!)

Stop with the Tweets Already

Dignity and Brains--Get some!

So many of these on this thread are hilarious!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:19:03 PM by iris lily »

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2017, 04:10:24 PM »
"Is it too Late to Abort The Donald?"

LOL!

Thanks for the ideas. This has pushed me over the edge, so I think I will take a sign with me. (Might cause a stir on the bus!) Also, I'm going to put a sign on the kiddo carrier, but I don't want to say what here just in case a picture of it is put on the internet. (I'm a bit protective of her identity, which is frankly the only reason I'm at all paranoid about my own.)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2017, 04:12:51 PM »
Ooh! I just realized, though, that if someone else is taking their kid and wanted to use "Baby's First Protest", that would be an awesome thing to put on a stroller or carrier. :)

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »
Isn't it a bit ironic to go to a rally and have to ask others for advice on what your sign should say? If you don't have anything to say, why are you so eager to say something? What is your goal? To be funny and get on tv?

This is the attitude, where being loud is more important than having something to say, that got you into this mess in the first place.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2017, 05:47:32 PM »
Isn't it a bit ironic to go to a rally and have to ask others for advice on what your sign should say? If you don't have anything to say, why are you so eager to say something? What is your goal? To be funny and get on tv?

This is the attitude, where being loud is more important than having something to say, that got you into this mess in the first place.

You're being disingenuous. I think you know that we have plenty to say, but don't know how to compress it all into a few memorable words. I think you just disagree with the motives behind the march, in which case, start your own topic instead of being snide.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »

You're being disingenuous. I think you know that we have plenty to say, but don't know how to compress it all into a few memorable words. I think you just disagree with the motives behind the march, in which case, start your own topic instead of being snide.

In case the poster here is being earnest - I think that his comment could be interpreted as "Being loud and trying to get more TV time is how Trump won the Election" - forgive me by putting words in your mouth Poundwise - I could be entirely wrong. The trick of it is that this does work. Look no further than the oval office tomorrow to see its effect. For women to take that same space will take events like this. And to get these events into the press takes making messages which are clever, impactful, and make people take stock of their beliefs.

Some of those messages will be spoken, but for most, they will take the shape of a slogan on a sign.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »

What mess did I get myself into now? 
Like I stated earlier in this post, I have plenty to say. But my sign will be small precisely because I do NOT want to be on tv. So I want to get a clear and concise message across in a few short words that fit on a small sign but that can still be read by someone more than a pussy-grab away.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2017, 09:58:17 PM »

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2017, 09:58:59 PM »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2017, 11:06:14 PM »
Nice job, SomedayStache. The tiny hands are a nice touch!

Saw this one on Twitter, apparently from today's rally in NYC... made me laugh.

I tried to go to the rally after work, but it was much bigger/more crowded than I anticipated, and I had to be somewhere by 7PM so I bailed. I read that 25,000 people showed up, which seems totally nuts considering I don't know anyone who went or anyone who even mentioned thinking about going. Compare to the march on Saturday where I know several people traveling to DC and a lot (10+) of people marching in NYC including someone leading an actual marching band.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2017, 04:10:13 AM »
Here are a few that are ready fo printing at home

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w7d16ads1q4h8h9/AACM7r2qBU_SmDYrQ6jkz9bva?dl=0

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2017, 06:41:15 AM »
Nice job, SomedayStache. The tiny hands are a nice touch!

Saw this one on Twitter, apparently from today's rally in NYC... made me laugh.

I love this one, think I'll do something similar.  Just looked up what is more popular than Trump with his 41% approval rating and it's pretty funny.  IRS 42%, DMV 50%, middle seats on airplanes 44%.  I should probably end the sign with sad.  Or Way down, big trouble, dead! Or Failing Pile of Garbage. 

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2017, 07:09:05 AM »
Here are mine.  All ideas were borrowed. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2017, 07:47:31 AM »

In case the poster here is being earnest - I think that his comment could be interpreted as "Being loud and trying to get more TV time is how Trump won the Election" - forgive me by putting words in your mouth Poundwise - I could be entirely wrong. The trick of it is that this does work. Look no further than the oval office tomorrow to see its effect. For women to take that same space will take events like this. And to get these events into the press takes making messages which are clever, impactful, and make people take stock of their beliefs.

Some of those messages will be spoken, but for most, they will take the shape of a slogan on a sign.

If forumname123 had said, "being loud is more important than having something to say, that got us into this mess in the first place," it would have been less snarky sounding.  But the poster did not say it that way.

That said, I am beating myself up over not being more active before the horse got out of the barn.  My fault for feeling that as an independent, I was above the ugly little mud-scuffle between Democrats and Republicans.  THAT kind of attitude is partially how we got into this mess in the first place.  Anyway, I am fixing my ways.

How about the following graphic to accompany "Women's Rights: Not Up For Grabs"? Unfortunately I am no artist either!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2017, 08:02:51 AM »
I love this one, think I'll do something similar.  Just looked up what is more popular than Trump with his 41% approval rating and it's pretty funny.  IRS 42%, DMV 50%, middle seats on airplanes 44%.  I should probably end the sign with sad.  Or Way down, big trouble, dead! Or Failing Pile of Garbage.

If you have any extra room on your sign, or if you wanted to put something on the back - you could end it with "The only thing with lower ratings than Trump: CONGRESS!" 

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2017, 11:23:21 AM »
So many great ideas! I will be making multiple signs :)

One I'm thinking of is "Fired Up! Ready To Go!" (Obama's chant)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2017, 11:31:16 AM »

That could be interpretted as "lets go, Trump agenda! Drain the swamp! Make America great again!! " etc. which is fine if thats what you intend.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »
Some gorgeous printables here:
http://theamplifierfoundation.org/

I'm going to print a few out and pass them out if I run into people who want to join on the fly.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2017, 01:33:36 PM »

That could be interpretted as "lets go, Trump agenda! Drain the swamp! Make America great again!! " etc. which is fine if thats what you intend.

Oh, interesting, that wouldn't have occurred to me. Probably less likely the interpretation if the other side of the sign says "A woman's place is in the Resistance" :)

Beardog

• Bristles

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2017, 05:55:22 PM »
Any chance that you might consider that you're at odds with the majority of folks in this country and that's why you still have to protest "this shit" (whatever said shit might be)?

Since Hilary Clinton won the popular vote and DJT takes office with the lowest popularity of any president in recent history, I think it's pretty safe to say that the majority of folks in this country are in agreement with me.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
I'm not going to rehash the excellent popular vote vs. elector college discussion that has already occurred here. Suffice it to say, the popular vote doesn't matter. The only thing that matters, under the current system, is the electoral college. Deal with it.

How the electoral college works is irrelevant to my post.  The fact is that DJT has very little popular support at this point in time. 

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »
I left my posterboard at work because I was distracted by the torrential rain. Guess I'll have to dismantle a cardboard box. Whoops!

Hopefully things will be clearer tomorrow.