Author Topic: Women's March: What should my sign say?  (Read 29490 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Women's March: What should my sign say?
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:43:36 AM »
When I attend the Women's March on Washington later this week, I'll carry a small (8 1/2X11) size sign.  Any great ideas on what my sign should say?  I can hand write it, or if images are involved, I can print and duct tape to my small cardboard.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Women's March: What should my sign say?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:52:42 AM »
Shouldn't it say something about whatever is important to you personally? What's your reason for marching?

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »
Shouldn't it say something about whatever is important to you personally? What's your reason for marching?

I agree.  Why are you marching?  For women's rights?  Healthcare?  Other reasons?  Put that on your sign.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »
PTF, I'm wrestling with this exact same problem for the march in NYC.

Tween son begs me not to put anything too catchy for fear that I'll end up on national media and embarrass him.

I've been thinking about something on the lines of "Knowledge/Ethics/Humility" so I doubt he has anything to worry about!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:40:21 AM by Poundwise »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:42:10 AM »
All the regular reasons.  Women's rights; Right to choose and use my own brain; No to cronyism; Nyet to Nepotism; Don't take healthcare away, etc. etc. 

But I only have a small space to write an important message.  The clearest message I want to send is "Fuck Trump", but that's not really very productive and it's not clear on what I really want.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:18:32 AM »
I'm planning to go to a local march in VT (I can't make it to DC this weekend).  My sign with either say

"women's rights are human rights"
or
"no cuntry for old men"

I'm also working on some https://www.pussyhatproject.com/  hats to wear at the protest. 

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 08:33:41 AM »
The clearest message I want to send is "Fuck Trump"

Bad idea. He may want to accept the offer.

But seriously, do I live under a rock? I have only heard about these marches on this forum. Nowhere else. Maybe because I'm not on Facebook?

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 08:52:15 AM »

But seriously, do I live under a rock? I have only heard about these marches on this forum. Nowhere else. Maybe because I'm not on Facebook?

The march sprang up pretty quickly.  Most of it was circulated on facebook.  I haven't seen any news outlets talking about it.

https://www.womensmarch.com/

There are a lot of sister marches for those of us not able to get to D.C.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »

The march sprang up pretty quickly.  Most of it was circulated on facebook.  I haven't seen any news outlets talking about it.

https://www.womensmarch.com/

There are a lot of sister marches for those of us not able to get to D.C.

Okay...I figured it might be Facebook-driven. Thanks for sharing.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »
I've been seeing them on FB. Here in the Bay Area I've seen at least three: SF, Oakland, and San Jose. I'm going to rearrange my Saturday plans for next weekend so I can take my little family to one of them. The only protest I have ever been in up to this point was when I was a student in France, because: cultural experience. I didn't even know what we were protesting. This is one of those times where I think I'll look back on this and be glad I participated.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 08:58:46 AM »

I'm not on FB either. I didn't hear about the marches anywhere... I had to search for them!

Some more:
Experience Over Tweets Nepotism
Give Us Good Government
You Can't Tweet Solutions to Complex Problems

Okay, so there's a reason why I'm not in advertising...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:17:54 AM by Poundwise »

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 09:06:44 AM »
I haven't decided on my sign, either, and since I'll be in a scooter and therefore shorter than everyone else, I'm not entirely sure I need one at all.

As far as how I found out: I donate to Planned Parenthood and The Center for Reproductive Rights and got e-mails from them. The next day at work, lots of people were talking about it who had found out through social media (this board is about as social as my media gets).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 09:11:24 AM »
rights"
"no cuntry for old men"

Please use that one.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »

I've been hearing about the march practically since the election.  Back in the day I ran a website concerning women's issues, and as a result I've gotten floods of emails about the march.  I didn't know about the marches in different cities until recently, though (Richmond's, such as it was, was yesterday).  But if you're not involved in stuff like that, yes, this was mostly on social media. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 11:03:47 AM »

I'm not on Facebook.  Maybe I hear more about it because I live in Washington DC.  There has been a ton of coverage and it came in waves:

Immediately after election, the idea made the news and all the women-haters attacked asking where was this march when xyz happened.
Around Thanksgiving time, the second wave of articles came out explaining that there were no approved permits yet, no organization, and no one knew where the march would occur.
First week of December, third wave of articles came out explaining the permit approval process by the National Parks Service and how no one has had permits approved yet, etc.
Second week of December, the articles focused on the women who started the march with an idea and how they weren't professional event planners but that they had found some activists with experience getting permits who had joined the march idea
Late in December, NPS started approving permits and the Women's March was granted a permit to congregate and march
Early January, the stories on the pink hats started getting more attention with some people for them and some against. 
Last week, the news articles have been focused on the groups attending and coming by bus, car, transport, and plane and how there are 200 bus spots reserved at RFK stadium for the inauguration and 1800 reserved for the next day's march on Washington. 

I read the Washington Post, and that has had a lot of articles about it, but also all of my neighborhood blogs, alerts, and announcements tell me all the road closings due to any event.  So any time there is an event that is expected to severely limit transportation around the area, I get an email alert with the reason why.  The District is also filled with people who are pretty politically active, so it's kind of hard to not hear about what's happening anywhere.  Sometimes I run into neighbors at the mailbox who tell me what's happening on the Hill "right now".  I fully expect over the next 3 days to have 3 or 4 offers of tickets to the inauguration from Senator so-and-so's office, blahblahblah.  I don't know any of those people and I hate politics, but I have neighbors who are staffers and they are almost all nice (and very smart) people. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »
rights"
"no cuntry for old men"

Please use that one.

I may have to modify my sign and have two sides to it.  Because that really made me LOL. 
Some really good ones so far....please keep them coming.  I'd love to find another one.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »
I like "Women's Rights Are Human Rights" or, if you want to be irreverent - "Pussy Grabs Back!"

I've been hearing about the marches a lot on Facebook but also in random real-life conversations. A lot of my friends here in NYC are participating in the local march and some are going down to Washington. I've talked to 3-4 people who are heading to DC, and they're all part of big groups (e.g. my friend's colleagues all got together to rent a bus for their office to all go down together). There are also a ton of local "anti-inaugural" events this weekend which are fundraising to fight for women's rights and other causes.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 01:29:23 PM »
I've been thinking of something along the lines of:

Love babies? Protect their earth.

It's not perfect, but somehow tying together the idea that if every sperm is sacred, then maybe trashing the planet is kind of hypocritical.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »
How about something like "Let's Nominate a Decent Candidate in 2020!!"

Because had the Dems put up a decent candidate, Trump would not have been President elect.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »
I'll be making a trip to Seattle this weekend to march. I wish I could join in D.C., but it's so far and expensive.

Here are the signs I'm considering. This keeps me up at night!

RESIST
Illegitimate President (along with a picture of the white house flying a Soviet flag)
Women's rights are human rights.
Hands off our rights.

I'm also half-jokingly considering putting together a gingerbread cookie white house and adding a Soviet flag to the lawn and marching with that as a 3-D sign. I just happen to have a Trader Joe's white house cookie set that was sold during the election. A friend brought it over and we never put it together because the election results were so depressing. It makes me sad everytime I see the box in my kitchen.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
I'm also half-jokingly considering putting together a gingerbread cookie white house and adding a Soviet flag to the lawn and marching with that as a 3-D sign. I just happen to have a Trader Joe's white house cookie set that was sold during the election. A friend brought it over and we never put it together because the election results were so depressing. It makes me sad everytime I see the box in my kitchen.

That's a great idea. Even if you could just kind of glue the front cookie pieces to a piece of cardboard to make it more 2D (but easier/less fragile). You could put a Soviet flag over it, and a gaudy gold-glitter sign saying something like "TRUMP TOWER ANNEX".

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »
Oooh, good ones!  I'm also considering using his own words, such as a particularly stupid tweet from his own account, with his image, etc. 

I can't figure out how to copy it here without "liking" it, so I'll just leave this page  http://mashable.com/2016/03/21/donald-trump-best-tweets/#sdwkHXa_Nsq0  I'd use the one that says "This election is a total sham and a travesty. We are not a democracy!", which he tweeted on the day Obama won re-election in 2012. 

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
That's a great idea. Even if you could just kind of glue the front cookie pieces to a piece of cardboard to make it more 2D (but easier/less fragile). You could put a Soviet flag over it, and a gaudy gold-glitter sign saying something like "TRUMP TOWER ANNEX".
OK, you've pushed me over the edge of crazy idea to trying to make it happen. I think the cookie is a combined comment on "women's work" and the fragility of our democracy.

Maybe I'll smash it at the end. Or... invite the crowd to eat it.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 03:08:52 PM »
Oooh, good ones!  I'm also considering using his own words, such as a particularly stupid tweet from his own account, with his image, etc.

Maybe instead of giving attention to his Twitter feed (which I think he must like), make a sign out of Hillary's "Delete your account" tweet...

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »
Women's Rights: Not Up For Grabs.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 03:22:01 PM »

I think you just won the Internet.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »
If someone uses that, please post up a photo of the sign for me! :)

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:14:58 PM by RedwoodDreams »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 03:42:56 PM »
---------------
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:46:54 PM by 2Birds1Stone »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 04:30:08 PM »
I like this one too!  Thanks!

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 04:39:58 PM »

OK...this is awesome!  I'm using it in San Diego.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »

The St. Louis gathering is getting local press for the usual St. Louis  reasons*. On the day of the march, I am sure it will be covered as the protest it is.

* race wars. Not enough diversity in the steering committee.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:53:13 PM by iris lily »

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 06:12:31 PM »
I'm going to the Chicago march and today a friend and I made signs. Mine say:

Hate and greed have no place in the White House
Hands off Medicare, ACA, and Planned Parenthood
The Handmaid's Tale wasn't meant to be a how-to manual

I told my friend today, "there's so much to protest, I don't even know where to start!" :/

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 10:30:22 PM »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 02:11:14 AM »
I've been seeing them on FB. Here in the Bay Area I've seen at least three: SF, Oakland, and San Jose. I'm going to rearrange my Saturday plans for next weekend so I can take my little family to one of them. The only protest I have ever been in up to this point was when I was a student in France, because: cultural experience. I didn't even know what we were protesting. This is one of those times where I think I'll look back on this and be glad I participated.
ysette9, I'm not sure where you are in the bee-you-ti-ful Bay Area, but I know there's one in Walnut Creek, too. Alas, it's the weekend of our library book sale, so we are sending one to represent many. She has a great sense of humor, so I may share some of these with her. She's very proper, so I don't want to shock her. Every book sale we vie for the funniest book title*, so she may be up for it, we'll see. I don't do FB. I heard about it from my Library friends and on Next Door.

https://womensmarchwccc.wixsite.com/march

*Our leading favorite book titles (Apropos of nothing, just plain old humor):
Hers: Dancing Naked In Fuzzy Red Slippers
Mine: I Still Miss My Man, But My Aim Is Getting Better

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 04:37:46 AM »
Grab him by the election 2020

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 05:25:39 AM »

I told my friend today, "there's so much to protest, I don't even know where to start!" :/
I don't think you meant the last line (bolded) as a suggestion, but THAT is how I feel. I think this nails it and if you don't mind, I'll use it on my sign. Thank you! 

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 07:05:32 AM »
How about something like "Let's Nominate a Decent Candidate in 2020!!"

Because had the Dems put up a decent candidate, Trump would not have been President elect.

If the Republicans put up a decent candidate, Trump would not have been President elect.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 07:08:28 AM »
"Refreshments to be provided by the men's auxilliary."

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 07:10:42 AM »
"So Angry, I made a Sign"

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 07:13:29 AM »

I don't think you meant the last line (bolded) as a suggestion, but THAT is how I feel. I think this nails it and if you don't mind, I'll use it on my sign. Thank you!

Rules for road signs apply: distill down to base message. Aim for as few words as possible.

"So much to Change.
Where to Start?"

Or to evoke action:

"So much to change;
Let's get Started!"

Or to convey action:

"So much to change;
We've only just begun!"

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 08:01:05 AM »

Have at it!

I also thought about making one like the one I saw a photo of an elderly woman holding once. Something to the effect of "I can't believe I STILL have to protest this shit!"

edmundblackadder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 08:35:46 AM »
I'm in the middle of reading Audre Lorde's SISTER OUTSIDER right now, so I'm going to try to fit
“Sometimes we are blessed with being able to choose the time, and the arena, and the manner of our revolution, but more usually we must do battle where we are standing.”
on my posterboard. It feels important to elevate the voice of a black lesbian, you know?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:41:15 AM by edmundblackadder »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
"Sad!"

"Authorized Personnel Only"

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 09:03:53 AM »

Is that from the John Stewart/Stephan Colbert rally a few years ago? I saw some of the best signs ever at that event! I may have even taken a picture of that sign :)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 09:05:53 AM »
A friend and I are thinking of going to the one in Ann Arbor and we though about doing two signs:

Sign 1: In Soviet Russia
SIgn 2: Pussy Grabs You!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:06:13 AM by StarBright »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 12:03:03 PM »
Make America great again Keep America Great
we will love Trump ... if he brings us single payer HC
Drain the new swamp
Abortion is murder should be safe, legal, and rare

Fixed a few things for you.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 04:25:13 PM »
Make America great again Keep America Great
we will love Trump ... if he brings us single payer HC
Drain the new swamp
Abortion is murder should be safe, legal, and rare

Fixed a few things for you.

^ Looks like a great march sign to me with the added corrections.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2017, 09:13:01 PM »
Is that from the John Stewart/Stephan Colbert rally a few years ago? I saw some of the best signs ever at that event! I may have even taken a picture of that sign :)

Yes, I think so. And inspired by this comic : http://wondermark.com/175

Secret Agent Mom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2017, 10:28:16 PM »
Wow, these are great!  I guess I will be making my signs the next few days.  We found a local march, and my girls are happy to be able to go.  This election has changed us, changed me, and changed their future.  I have never been to a march or protest, but this election was too much.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!