Author Topic: Women's March: What should my sign say?  (Read 29498 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Re: Women's March: What should my sign say?
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2017, 08:29:59 PM »

I'm not going to rehash the excellent popular vote vs. elector college discussion that has already occurred here. Suffice it to say, the popular vote doesn't matter. The only thing that matters, under the current system, is the electoral college. Deal with it.

I have to say, this attitude of "Deal with it" makes me want to vomit.  I hear this all over the place.  Dude, we're okay with the fact that the man won the electoral college vote and we will accept the peaceful transition of power.  That's not our argument.  We also feel that, as Americans, we have a responsibility to have our opinions and voices heard on subjects that are important to us.  If you believe that because our candidate didn't win the election, then we have lost the right voice our opinions, then there is something very wrong with your understanding of our Constitution. 

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2017, 06:34:27 AM »
Another way to have your voice heard is to watch the petitions that are circulating at whitehouse.gov.

Here's one that started right after inauguration to force Trump to release tax returns. It needs 100k signatures and 60 days for a response from Potus.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2017, 08:10:43 AM »
I wasn't planning on going to the Women's March in Vancouver (Canada) at all.  Then I woke up this morning and knew I had to go, cancelled my other plans and am heading out for our march.  I know I will really regret it if I don't go.  The way Mr. Trump talks about women is not decent and that is why I am going. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2017, 10:12:17 AM »

I'm not going to rehash the excellent popular vote vs. elector college discussion that has already occurred here. Suffice it to say, the popular vote doesn't matter. The only thing that matters, under the current system, is the electoral college. Deal with it.

I have to say, this attitude of "Deal with it" makes me want to vomit.  I hear this all over the place.  Dude, we're okay with the fact that the man won the electoral college vote and we will accept the peaceful transition of power.  That's not our argument.  We also feel that, as Americans, we have a responsibility to have our opinions and voices heard on subjects that are important to us.  If you believe that because our candidate didn't win the election, then we have lost the right voice our opinions, then there is something very wrong with your understanding of our Constitution.

Agreed! A common argument is that protestors and activists are whiny, typically coming from the same people who say, if you want something to change, do something about it.

Well, okay! We're doing something about it!

I wasn't planning on going to the Women's March in Vancouver (Canada) at all.  Then I woke up this morning and knew I had to go, cancelled my other plans and am heading out for our march.  I know I will really regret it if I don't go.  The way Mr. Trump talks about women is not decent and that is why I am going. 

Whoo pachnik!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »
Here's an article with some photos of signs.

My two favorites are the Marry Poppins and Grease inspired ones:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/01/21/the_best_protest_signs_from_the_women_s_march_on_washington.html

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2017, 12:00:14 PM »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/01/21/the_best_protest_signs_from_the_women_s_march_on_washington.html
The Mary Poppins one is a scream! I am a sucker for word play jokes.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »

Wow. I can't even...

I think Trump is an arrogant, narcissistic loose cannon, but damn, these signs make me feel embarrassed that I have the same anatomy as what's shown on many of them.

This is what I would call a horrible example of groupthink. Not impressed.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »
My favorite sign from today was "The Lannnisters at least paid their debts."

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2017, 05:06:20 PM »

Every single one of those is excellent. Bravo, smart people.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2017, 06:46:16 PM »

The Mary Poppins one is a scream! I am a sucker for word play jokes.

As far as I know that was coined by Randy Rainbow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldfF6chin5s

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
Women's Rights: Not Up For Grabs.

I put this on my most mustachian of signs: free and eco-friendly. I accidentally dumpster-dove my sign, which had been abandoned on a subway car.

I wrote on the back "Women's Rights: Not Up for Grabs."
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:16:04 AM by MonkeyJenga »

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2017, 08:23:06 PM »
Loved all of the signs I saw today, including the ones here!  A fantastic show of fellowship from some awesome and witty ladies (and the men who support them).

My two favorites, which I saw online, were, "I love naps, but I stay woke" and "Make Margaret Atwood Fiction Again."

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2017, 09:11:46 PM »
I got a chuckle out of: If my vagina shot bullets it would have less regulation.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2017, 12:07:31 AM »

The concentation camp survivor sign was very powerful.

The funniest sign I saw today was:
"I Have seen better cabinets at Ikea"

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2017, 02:17:43 AM »

I loved the one of the uterus putting its finger up.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2017, 09:22:07 AM »

The concentation camp survivor sign was very powerful.

The funniest sign I saw today was:
"I Have seen better cabinets at Ikea"
I think she (lady in wheelchair) was referencing the Japanese-American internment camps they had in the US during WWII. When US citizens of Japanese decent were rounded up BY OUR OWN GOVERNMENT and placed camps in remote camps for years. Absolutely horrible violation of civil rights and human rights.

Oops, i meant internment camps.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2017, 12:34:05 PM »
Saw a sign that read:  We shall overcomb

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2017, 02:16:50 PM »

Pussies scratch and bite--Beware!

Iris, I actually saw a sign like this on the street! Did not get a photo though.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »

Wow. I can't even...

I think Trump is an arrogant, narcissistic loose cannon, but damn, these signs make me feel embarrassed that I have the same anatomy as what's shown on many of them.

This is what I would call a horrible example of groupthink. Not impressed.
I'm sorry you feel that way.  I've felt that way about using certain words and showing my "womanhood" on many occasions too.  But you shouldn't feel embarrassed about your body, or your sex, or any words you choose to use, especially when others have used the words to hurt you.  This march, the women and men that I met there, and their signs, all made me feel more powerful and I don't think I'll feel any shame about being a woman any time soon.  Don't let misogyny win -- drop the shame! 

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »
I LOVED the elderly Japanese woman with the sign about the internment camps. DAMN. Those were all good, but that's the one that made me sit up and want to applaud that woman, both for the amazing sign and for getting out there.

Our sign simply said "Not A Sexual Object". I figured people needed reminding about that, since there seems to be some misunderstanding on the topic.

Miss Piggy - why on earth would you be embarrassed? Seriously, a uterus is making you embarrassed? That's like being embarrassed because you have toes and other people choose to put pictures of other toes on a sign.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2017, 03:25:23 PM »
Miss Piggy - why on earth would you be embarrassed? Seriously, a uterus is making you embarrassed? That's like being embarrassed because you have toes and other people choose to put pictures of other toes on a sign.
Perhaps it was the vagina dentata sign?

This one -

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2017, 03:34:29 PM »

This one -

If she'd said she was grossed out, sure. But embarrassing? Why and how?

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »

She never said she was embarrassed by what was on the signs, she said she was embarrassed to share anatomy with the women holding the signs.

Either way, is it such a stretch for you to imagine why someone might be embarrassed by the representation of genitalia? Why are you so appalled by that, and why is being embarrassed about it such a poor response in your eyes?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »
Well, to be fair, Trump's remarks about grabbing women by the pussy basically ushered in the era of that word being heard in public. And seen in print. And not bleeped out of television broadcasts.

Really, these signs are not the cause. They're the effect.

So, you know... Thanks, Trump.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »
Well, to be fair, Trump's remarks about grabbing women by the pussy basically ushered in the era of that word being heard in public. And seen in print. And not bleeped out of television broadcasts.

Also, one of my friends was saying that she had to explain to a few coworkers what 'golden showers' are. Thanks, Trump.

I still don't see how the representation of genitalia is supposed to be embarrassing. If they were showing pictures of Miss Piggy's actual genitalia or womb, sure. But a representation of them? Come on, they show those to 5th graders and I would hope that people would get over the nervous tittering at about the same age.

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »
Also, one of my friends was saying that she had to explain to a few coworkers what 'golden showers' are. Thanks, Trump.

I still don't see how the representation of genitalia is supposed to be embarrassing. If they were showing pictures of Miss Piggy's actual genitalia or womb, sure. But a representation of them? Come on, they show those to 5th graders and I would hope that people would get over the nervous tittering at about the same age.

You're contradicting yourself. People should be open and unembarrassed about genitals, but thanks a lot Trump for ushering in golden showers and the P word...

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2017, 07:12:21 PM »

This one -

What do I find embarrassing? The complete and utter lack of class that was displayed.

I'm not trying to insult anybody or speak for anyone else. This is just one woman's opinion (mine).

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2017, 07:18:28 PM »

This one -

What do I find embarrassing? The complete and utter lack of class that was displayed.

I'm not trying to insult anybody or speak for anyone else. This is just one woman's opinion (mine).

Are you not in favor of free expression and the idea that it's problematic to hold women to standards of decorum they have no say in defining? Additionally, as was said above, in this instance the "classless" messaging was very obviously a direct response to specific classless behavior of our commander in chief. Seems exceptionally appropriate to me.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2017, 07:22:40 PM »
I really hate the P-word, and I'm a person who prefers decorum, so I see where Miss Piggy is coming from. But this was women taking back a term, just like African-Americans took back n----r.  I will not stand in their way, though I will not join them.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2017, 07:23:39 PM »

This one -

Are you not in favor of free expression and the idea that it's problematic to hold women to standards of decorum they have no say in defining? Additionally, as was said above, in this instance the "classless" messaging was very obviously a direct response to specific classless behavior of our commander in chief. Seems exceptionally appropriate to me.

I was simply answering the question that was asked. We're all entitled to our opinions.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2017, 07:38:03 PM »

You're contradicting yourself. People should be open and unembarrassed about genitals, but thanks a lot Trump for ushering in golden showers and the P word...
I'm not certain why this would be embarrassing either... are sexual acts still this taboo in this day in age?

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2017, 08:57:55 PM »
Another way to have your voice heard is to watch the petitions that are circulating at whitehouse.gov.

Here's one that started right after inauguration to force Trump to release tax returns. It needs 100k signatures and 60 days for a response from Potus.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

And 3 days later it has 282,504 signatures. Not that there is any chance that Trump will release his returns. There is bound to be something harmful to him there, or he would have released them already.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2017, 10:02:28 PM »

And 3 days later it has 282,504 signatures. Not that there is any chance that Trump will release his returns. There is bound to be something harmful to him there, or he would have released them already.

I just struggle to believe that anything in there is more harmful than the things he says and tweets on an average day.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2017, 11:12:40 PM »

I'm not certain why this would be embarrassing either... are sexual acts still this taboo in this day in age?

To some people, they are. Especially older people.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2017, 11:18:31 PM »
To some people, they are. Especially older people.

I keep forgetting that Trump is 70 years old. Clearly my perspective on what is 'old' is changing as I age myself.

Gal2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE - 2031
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »

Yeah. So, if I'm holding a sign with a depiction of my "pussy" being diseased -- that's supposed to make me feel empowered?-- My first thought when seeing these gross signs, is if that's how your genitalia are feeling and present themselves (like, if you feel your vagina has teeth), you probably need to get checked by a doctor. You've likely caught some disease and need a dose of antibiotics (at the very least).

Really, you're showing depictions of your vagina to 5th graders? -- that will likely get you jailed.  That's NOT okay. We reserve stuff like that for educational settings, medical visits and discussions with parents at home. I certainly wouldn't have been okay with you talking with my 5th grader about his (or your) genitalia. Yeah. Highly inappropriate.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2017, 08:31:55 AM »

Yeah. So, if I'm holding a sign with a depiction of my "pussy" being diseased -- that's supposed to make me feel empowered?-- My first thought when seeing these gross signs, is if that's how your genitalia are feeling and present themselves (like, if you feel your vagina has teeth), you probably need to get checked by a doctor. You've likely caught some disease and need a dose of antibiotics (at the very least).

Really, you're showing depictions of your vagina to 5th graders? -- that will likely get you jailed.  That's NOT okay. We reserve stuff like that for educational settings, medical visits and discussions with parents at home. I certainly wouldn't have been okay with you talking with my 5th grader about his (or your) genitalia. Yeah. Highly inappropriate.

Have I sorted the quotes out correctly?  I think the above is what should have been intended.  To which I have two comments -

1. Vagina dentata is not a disease.  As depicted on that sign, it is a feminist reclaiming of a folk tale.

2.  I took Sister X's comment about showing depictions of genitalia to 5th graders as being a reference to sex education at school, and can't see how else it could be taken.  Nothing inappropriate about that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:43:41 AM by former player »

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2017, 08:40:50 AM »

I just struggle to believe that anything in there is more harmful than the things he says and tweets on an average day.
If it showed he was poor, it would hurt HIS opinion of himself. 

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Gal2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE - 2031
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »

[/quote][/quote]Yeah. So, if I'm holding a sign with a depiction of my "pussy" being diseased -- that's supposed to make me feel empowered?-- My first thought when seeing these gross signs, is if that's how your genitalia are feeling and present themselves (like, if you feel your vagina has teeth), you probably need to get checked by a doctor. You've likely caught some disease and need a dose of antibiotics (at the very least).

Really, you're showing depictions of your vagina to 5th graders? -- that will likely get you jailed.  That's NOT okay. We reserve stuff like that for educational settings, medical visits and discussions with parents at home. I certainly wouldn't have been okay with you talking with my 5th grader about his (or your) genitalia. Yeah. Highly inappropriate.[/quote]

Have I sorted the quotes out correctly?  I think the above is what should have been intended.  To which I have two comments -

1. Vagina dentata is not a disease.  As depicted on that sign, it is a feminist reclaiming of a folk tale.

2.  I took Sister X's comment about showing depictions of genitalia to 5th graders as being a reference to sex education at school, and can't see how else it could be taken.  Nothing inappropriate about that.
[/quote]

A public area with several thousand people is not the same as a 5th grade classroom governed over by a professional teacher -- you do get that, right?  The reason that we don't flop our genitalia out indiscriminately for little kids to see is because it's inappropriate. Cartoons/drawings of genitalia aren't any more appropriate.  It's why most parents aren't letting their kids watch adult cartoons.

And I'm wondering what "folk story" you're referencing?  Surely, there must be some long-ago tale from a particular culture that depicts a woman's mutilated genitalia dominated by teeth? -- Do all the women holding such signs share a common culture? (otherwise it would be culture appropriation, and we'd hate to see that) It's not a folk story that I've ever encountered.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2017, 09:31:34 AM »
And I'm wondering what "folk story" you're referencing?  Surely, there must be some long-ago tale from a particular culture that depicts a woman's mutilated genitalia dominated by teeth? -- Do all the women holding such signs share a common culture? (otherwise it would be culture appropriation, and we'd hate to see that) It's not a folk story that I've ever encountered.

A simple google search could have answered your question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagina_dentata

Vagina dentata (Latin for toothed vagina) describes a folk tale in which a woman's vagina is said to contain teeth, with the associated implication that sexual intercourse might result in injury, emasculation, or castration for the man involved.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:34:03 AM by Freedom2016 »

Gal2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE - 2031
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2017, 11:18:31 AM »

A simple google search could have answered your question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagina_dentata

Vagina dentata (Latin for toothed vagina) describes a folk tale in which a woman's vagina is said to contain teeth, with the associated implication that sexual intercourse might result in injury, emasculation, or castration for the man involved.

Do you really think that it's culturally appropriate for all those progressive gals to be publicly misappropriating that folk tale? Seriously -- I thought you "progressives" were all about keeping sacred traditions sacred.  Obviously the giant-man-eating-vaginas aren't a universal folk-tale. 

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
Do you really think that it's culturally appropriate for all those progressive gals to be publicly misappropriating that folk tale? Seriously -- I thought you "progressives" were all about keeping sacred traditions sacred.  Obviously the giant-man-eating-vaginas aren't a universal folk-tale.

Huh? 

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »

Huh?

I dunno. Looking like another low post count instigator to me.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2017, 11:35:36 AM »

Huh?

I dunno. Looking like another low post count instigator to me.

I try not to let partisanship get in the way of understanding others' points of view - I can respect a religious person being concerned that sex in the streets is bad. But here - yeah, Gal2016 is just looking for a scrap from what I see.

Unless I misread all this - Gal, do you have a specific beef, or are you just hating on feminists in general?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This might belong here. Its from this blog - please click through to give the writer credit and support.

You Are Not Equal. I’m Sorry.
A post is making rounds on social media, in response to the Women’s March on Saturday, January 21, 2017. It starts with “I am not a “disgrace to women” because I don’t support the women’s march. I do not feel I am a “second class citizen” because I am a woman….”

This is my response to that post.

Say Thank You

Say thank you. Say thank you to the women who gave you a voice. Say thank you to the women who were arrested and imprisoned and beaten and gassed for you to have a voice. Say thank you to the women who refused to back down, to the women who fought tirelessly to give you a voice. Say thank you to the women who put their lives on hold, who –lucky for you — did not have “better things to do” than to march and protest and rally for your voice. So you don’t feel like a “second class citizen.” So you get to feel “equal.”

Thank Susan B. Anthony and Alice Paul for your right to vote.

Thank Elizabeth Stanton for your right to work.

Thank Maud Wood Park for your prenatal care and your identity outside of your husband.

Thank Rose Schneiderman for your humane working conditions.

Thank Eleanor Roosevelt and Molly Dewson for your ability to work in politics and affect policy.

Thank Margaret Sanger for your legal birth control.

Thank Carol Downer for your reproductive healthcare rights.

Thank Sarah Muller for your equal education.

Thank Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Shannon Turner, Gloria Steinem, Zelda Kingoff Nordlinger, Rosa Parks, Angela Davis, Malika Saada Saar, Wagatwe Wanjuki, Ida B. Wells, Malala Yousafzai. Thank your mother, your grandmother, your great-grandmother who did not have half of the rights you have now.

You can make your own choices, speak and be heard, vote, work, control your body, defend yourself, defend your family, because of the women who marched. You did nothing to earn those rights. You were born into those rights. You did nothing, but you reap the benefits of women, strong women, women who fought misogyny and pushed through patriarchy and fought for you. And you sit on your pedestal, a pedestal you are fortunate enough to have, and type. A keyboard warrior. A fighter for complacency. An acceptor of what you were given. A denier of facts. Wrapped up in your delusion of equality.

You are not equal. Even if you feel like you are. You still make less than a man for doing the same work. You make less as a CEO, as an athlete, as an actress, as a doctor. You make less in government, in the tech industry, in healthcare.
You still don’t have full rights over your own body. Men are still debating over your uterus. Over your prenatal care. Over your choices.

You still have to pay taxes for your basic sanitary needs.

You still have to carry mace when walking alone at night. You still have to prove to the court why you were drunk on the night you were raped. You still have to justify your behavior when a man forces himself on you.

You still don’t have paid (or even unpaid) maternity leave. You still have to go back to work while your body is broken. While you silently suffer from postpartum depression.

You still have to fight to breastfeed in public. You still have to prove to other women it’s your right to do so. You still offend others with your breasts.

You are still objectified. You are still catcalled. You are still sexualized. You are still told you’re too skinny or you’re too fat. You’re still told you’re too old or too young. You’re applauded when you “age gracefully.” You’re still told men age “better.” You’re still told to dress like a lady. You are still judged on your outfit instead of what’s in your head. What brand bag you have still matters more than your college degree.

You are still being abused by your husband, by your boyfriend. You’re still being murdered by your partners. Being beaten by your soulmate.

You are still worse off if you are a woman of color, a gay woman, a transgender woman. You are still harassed, belittled, dehumanized.

Your daughters are still told they are beautiful before they are told they are smart. Your daughters are still told to behave even though “boys will be boys.” Your daughters are still told boys pull hair or pinch them because they like them.

You are not equal. Your daughters are not equal. You are still systemically oppressed.

Estonia allows parents to take up to three years of leave, fully paid for the first 435 days. United States has no policy requiring maternity leave.

Singapore’s women feel safe walking alone at night. American women do not.

New Zealand’s women have the smallest gender gap in wages, at 5.6%. United States’ pay gap is 20%.

Iceland has the highest number of women CEOs, at 44%. United States is at 4.0%.

The United States ranks at 45 for women’s equality. Behind Rwanda, Cuba, Philippines, Jamaica.

But I get it. You don’t want to admit it. You don’t want to be a victim. You think feminism is a dirty word. You think it’s not classy to fight for equality. You hate the word pussy. Unless of course you use it to call a man who isn’t up to your standard of manhood. You know the type of man that “allows” “his” woman to do whatever she damn well pleases. I get it. You believe feminists are emotional, irrational, unreasonable. Why aren’t women just satisfied with their lives, right? You get what you get and you don’t get upset, right?

I get it. You want to feel empowered. You don’t want to believe you’re oppressed. Because that would mean you are indeed a “second-class citizen.” You don’t want to feel like one. I get it. But don’t worry. I will walk for you. I will walk for your daughter. And your daughter’s daughter. And maybe you will still believe the world did not change. You will believe you’ve always had the rights you have today. And that’s okay. Because women who actually care and support other women don’t care what you think about them. They care about their future and the future of the women who come after them.

Open your eyes. Open them wide. Because I’m here to tell you, along with millions of other women that you are not equal. Our equality is an illusion. A feel-good sleight of hand. A trick of the mind. I’m sorry to tell you, but you are not equal. And neither are your daughters.

But don’t worry. We will walk for you. We will fight for you. We will stand up for you. And one day you will actually be equal, instead of just feeling like you are.

~ Dina Leygerman, 2017
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:53:12 AM by Prospector »

zoltani

« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2017, 12:51:43 PM »
I saw that Donna Hylton (Hilton) was a speaker at the women's march in Washington. I am very disturbed that they are giving this woman a voice and holding her up as some kind of hero or inspiration. It is really sickening and extremely hypocritical. For me it taints the movement. 

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
my sign had the star emoji, angry cat emoji, and resist fist then the words "resist. survive."
painting it took about 10 minutes and i gave it to a teen girl when i was heading out from the boston commons march.

awesome signs here :)

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »
I think that many on the right were hoping that one or more of the following would happen:

1. the women's march would get low turnout
2. the protestors would break laws/cause riots

Because these things did not happen, they've had to turn to lesser partisan arguments. The signs were gross/think of the children!/stop whining/omg the trash/the marchers were fat/vagina dentata is cultural appropriation (tbh-this one is my favorite). I take heart that the marches caused Trump distress BECAUSE THE MEDIA REPORTED THEY WERE SO MUCH BIGGER. Because of this, he had a crap first weekend, his inner circle is plotting to get rid of his press secretary, and the first steps towards him being one and done are in place.  We can't stop Trump's agenda for the next two years, but we can do our best to limit the damage by making it politically costly to align with him.  And the way to do this is to emphasize and reemphasize what an idiot conman he is.  His core supporters won't budge, but independents will peel off. How many people do you know who talk proudly about their vote for W? 

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2017, 03:02:39 PM »
The march is really not a big deal to conservatives, because we know we have the power at the moment, and we're happy.   Demonstrations, shrug.  Go wear your pussy hats and red for teachers and have fun while our guys get some stuff done.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
The march is really not a big deal to conservatives, because we know we have the power at the moment, and we're happy.   Demonstrations, shrug.  Go wear your pussy hats and red for teachers and have fun while our guys get some stuff done.

To bait this thread shows your colours in a bad way. What good are you hoping to get from your comment?

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2017, 04:04:31 PM »

To bait this thread shows your colours in a bad way. What good are you hoping to get from your comment?

Kbecks, please refrain from speaking for an entire ideology when all you have to say is deliberately inflammatory.

I'm conservative, and I support anyone's rights to march for any reason they see fit, even if I don't agree with everything they're marching for, or that government funded abortions are a human right.  Frankly, I still think Trump was a better choice than Clinton, while absolutely recognizing Trump does not cultivate a air of respect for women.  I understand the desire to speak out as a counter balance to that, and hope he locks that shit down and does some of things I'd hoped he would do.