Author Topic: Wifi signal amplifier?  (Read 1952 times)

max9505672

• Bristles
Wifi signal amplifier?
« on: September 29, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »
Hey guys!

I am currently living in a quite small apartment with 2 roommates and I am having ussies with the WiFi signal when I am in my room, which isn’t that far from the router. I basically only stream videos (YouTube or Netflix) and I frequently can’t watch in good HD quality (which I can when I am closer to the router) or even worst, I often have to pause a video/movie to let it load

So I was wondering if I should look for a better router or look for a WiFi signal amplifier (usually cheaper from my limited research). I have never used an amplifier and would like advices on different models and also on general functioning. Is it working well and worth it?

Thanks!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Wifi signal amplifier?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »
before you buy anything, try these tips.  I just learned them the other day and it helped a lot

https://www.johnytube.com/watch/yt/UygPcBCFRrA/want-faster-wifi-here-are-5-weirdly-easy-tips

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »
I got a signal amplifier, when it works it works.  But there seems to be some voodoo involved in when it wants to work.  I would try the other DIY options listed above first. 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 04:53:02 PM »
Cheapest most reliable best solution? Run a wire to your laptop. In small apartment, I would just do this.

If you are stuck with wifi, the solution is not going to be as easy as adding signal amplifier. Lots of things can impact your wifi, such as:
- How old is your router? There are different router using different wifi protocol with different speed.
- How old is your laptop? Can your wifi run at the same speed as the router?
- Signal amplifier is not going to help if the bottleneck is the router or the laptop.
- If you are living in multi-apartment building, everyone has wifi routers. The signals from your neighbors may interfere with yours - that is why I suggested wired solution.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »
Cheapest most reliable best solution? Run a wire to your laptop. In small apartment, I would just do this.

If you are stuck with wifi, the solution is not going to be as easy as adding signal amplifier. Lots of things can impact your wifi, such as:
- How old is your router? There are different router using different wifi protocol with different speed.
- How old is your laptop? Can your laptop wifi run at the same speed as the router?
- Signal amplifier is not going to help if the bottleneck is the router or the laptop.
- If you are living in multi-apartment building, everyone has wifi routers. The signals from your neighbors may interfere with yours - that is why I suggested wired solution.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 03:28:34 PM »
Try changing the Wifi channel in the router's settings in case of interference - older routers don't choose one automatically.

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 07:12:01 PM »

- How old is your laptop? Can your wifi run at the same speed as the router?
That’s actually a great suggestion! A little far but I can probably do it. Cheap and reliable, just how I like it!