Author Topic: wierd food phobias, quirks and aversions  (Read 30809 times)

AliEli

• Stubble
Re: wierd food phobias, quirks and aversions
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2016, 07:11:44 AM »
Another one who can't stand the smell of bananas.  They smell like white out or petrol to me, and small amounts smell very strongly.  Blurgh :(

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2016, 07:43:18 PM »

Raisins. Just gross.  Although I realize this is mostly psychological.  My dad would make me eat them whenever I had a stomachache.  And I had a lot of stomachaches as a child.  Craisins are, for some reason, just fine.

On a grammatical side note; Nauseated is when you feel ill.  Nauseous is when you're making other people feel ill.  Which usually doesn't happen until after you've felt nauseated first. ;)  I feel like this is an important distinction.

I've never heard of raisins as a home remedy for stomach aches.  Does that actually help?

Cilantro apparently tastes like 'soap' to roughly 4-14% of the population because they have the gene OR6A2 that's good at detecting aldehydes which are found in both cilantro and soap.  So - those people literally taste cilantro differently than those who lack that gene.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/why-does-cilantro-taste-bad-like-soap_n_7653808.html

I don't remember them being particularly helpful.  I think that for a long time, my parents thought my stomach issues were constipation related, and he was trying to help that particular thing.

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2016, 12:00:24 AM »
Great thread! Fun to see I'm not totally abnormal, anyway.

Bananas, tuna, and eggs (especially hard-boiled) are things I would only eat after days of starving. Although, oddly I will eat souffle that I make myself and egg drop soup. Quiche is on the edge-the texture bothers me especially if it's room temp or cooler. I can taste banana in anything, even bread or a smoothie. Ugh, no. I cried in front of my elementary school because they served tuna sandwiches unexpectedly one day for lunch. As a child, I would basically have to leave the room if any of these things were being eaten by others. I will move a trash can with a banana peel to another room if possible.
Other things I've worked on and made progress with, such as: spicy (picante) food; beans (pinto are a no but black beans are ok); beets (taste like dirt but can handle it ok); cilantro (can at least pick it out rather than abandoning entire dish but yeah still tastes soapy).

Totally understand a bunch of the other aversions, like different foods not touching on the plate, and people reaching into chip/popcorn containers. I will only share those with DH.

Nancy

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2016, 05:15:10 AM »
I used to be one of the people who couldn't eat cilantro. When I was younger, even the smell of it in someone else's food or in the supermarket would be overpowering. It shot right up my nose and registered as danger - not edible, chemicals detected. My uncle had the same issue but grew out of it. When I turned 30, I started being able to eat it, and I love it.

Someone upstream asked what cilantro tastes like. Best I can describe: a bit spicy like black pepper and bright. It sort of enhances other flavors and lends a strong, fresh taste to the meal. Yum!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:54:39 AM by Nancy »

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
Glad to know I'm not a complete weirdo. I can't stand eggs either. I used to eat them all the time before the age of two but now the taste and texture makes me want to puke.

Mayonnaise is a no-go as I can't stand the sliminess of it. I used to like it but grew out of it in my late teens. I also can't eat McDonald's or Burger King anymore. The food just tastes like garbage to me now. As for mustard I like it a lot more now, and like to have more mustard than ketchup on my burger, a 2:1 ratio of mustard to ketchup is good.

Okra is nasty and so are grits. My Dad loves both but Mom, bro and I are like 'oh hell no'. Grits just have this wet dirt texture I don't like.

As for people shoving their hands in the chip bag or touching my food? If it's Mom, Dad, or my brother I don't care. Everyone else, you better pour that in a bowl and eat it or I will cut you for getting your germs on my food.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
Glad to know I'm not a complete weirdo. I can't stand eggs either. I used to eat them all the time before the age of two but now the taste and texture makes me want to puke.

Mayonnaise is a no-go as I can't stand the sliminess of it. I used to like it but grew out of it in my late teens. I also can't eat McDonald's or Burger King anymore. The food just tastes like garbage to me now. As for mustard I like it a lot more now, and like to have more mustard than ketchup on my burger, a 2:1 ratio of mustard to ketchup is good.

Okra is nasty and so are grits. My Dad loves both but Mom, bro and I are like 'oh hell no'. Grits just have this wet dirt texture I don't like.

As for people shoving their hands in the chip bag or touching my food? If it's Mom, Dad, or my brother I don't care. Everyone else, you better pour that in a bowl and eat it or I will cut you for getting your germs on my food.

My husband hates mayo unless it's homemade. And he will marginally tolerate the organic trader joe's mayo- if you are desirous of mayo in your life, maybe give one of those a try! Otherwise, avocado makes a great "moisten up a sandwich" options, with less ick factor for most people =P

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2016, 09:42:26 AM »

My husband hates mayo unless it's homemade. And he will marginally tolerate the organic trader joe's mayo- if you are desirous of mayo in your life, maybe give one of those a try! Otherwise, avocado makes a great "moisten up a sandwich" options, with less ick factor for most people =P
Man, I miss avocados.  Since moving to Canada from California I've never been able to swallow (pun intended) the prices here for that perishable green gem.  The other day I saw rock-hard avocados at our grocery store for $2.99 each.  Even at CostCo they're often approaching $2  a piece. no thank you... trying to eat more locally anyhow... sigh...

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »
I've never had avocado before. I want to try it but how do I know if its still good or if its going bad? I've heard they go bad quickly and I don't want to pick one that's almost expired. Are they good on sandwiches? What do they taste like?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »
Ooooh.  I forgot one.  Condiments.

Fuck mustard, relish, ketchup, and mayo.  Gross.

I eat burgers and sandwiches with cheese, tomato, onion, and lettuce on them.  I eat hotdogs plain, with cheese, or chili.  Fries are eaten with vinegar only.

All of those standard condiments at the top of the page are puke inducing, and were one of the reasons I stopped eating fast food many years ago (they kept putting them on my damned orders even after specific requests to leave them off.)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »
I've never had avocado before. I want to try it but how do I know if its still good or if its going bad? I've heard they go bad quickly and I don't want to pick one that's almost expired. Are they good on sandwiches? What do they taste like?

They turn kinda black/brown when they're bad.  Normally they should range from light yellow to medium green on the inside.  If they're ripe they're very soft and can almost be spread like butter.

Taste-wise avocado is like a slightly lighter, mild salt-less butter with a hint of green flavour.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2016, 09:52:11 AM »
Good ones are almost creamy in texture, similar I'd say to cream cheese.  The flavor isn't very strong, but because they have some fat they carry and amplify other flavors in your sandwich. You should be able to scoop out an avacado with a spoon. 

To pick one out - they should be soft to the touch but not gooey... maybe a similar firmness to squeezing the base of your thumb when you are making a fist. Best trick I've learned is to try to 'pop' off the tip of the avacado where it was attached to the stem.  If it comes off easily with just a little pressure from a fingernail it is ready.  IF there's mold inside that cavity move on to another one.

EVen hard avacados will ripen if left on the counter or in a paper bag with an apple (which gives of ethlyne gas). Check them every day or so.

Have you never eaten guacamole??

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
Good ones are almost creamy in texture, similar I'd say to cream cheese.  The flavor isn't very strong, but because they have some fat they carry and amplify other flavors in your sandwich. You should be able to scoop out an avacado with a spoon. 

To pick one out - they should be soft to the touch but not gooey... maybe a similar firmness to squeezing the base of your thumb when you are making a fist. Best trick I've learned is to try to 'pop' off the tip of the avacado where it was attached to the stem.  If it comes off easily with just a little pressure from a fingernail it is ready.  IF there's mold inside that cavity move on to another one.

EVen hard avacados will ripen if left on the counter or in a paper bag with an apple (which gives of ethlyne gas). Check them every day or so.

Nope never had guacamole. The only 'mexican' (and I use that descriptor loosely) is soft shell tacos at Taco Bell. I hate spicy food as it aggravates my acid reflux and there are two mexican joints in my town. One got my grandfather and three other family members sick and the other always has a huge wait time and isn't cheap. So I've never had Mexican or Mexican-style food. I want to branch out a bit and broaden my culinary horizons.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2016, 10:02:35 AM »

Nope never had guacamole. The only 'mexican' (and I use that descriptor loosely) is soft shell tacos at Taco Bell. I hate spicy food as it aggravates my acid reflux and there are two mexican joints in my town. One got my grandfather and three other family members sick and the other always has a huge wait time and isn't cheap. So I've never had Mexican or Mexican-style food. I want to branch out a bit and broaden my culinary horizons.

Well, I'd say Mexican food (one of my favorites) is a good place to start. 
To start - not all mexican food is spicy.  I think Mexican food is up there with Chinese food in the sense that many american "Mexican restaurants" are poor satires of the real thing.  Mexican cuisine goes back thousands of years and has a focus on fresh veggies and texture combinations.  While certain dishes can be very spicy many will use braised chicken/goat/pork with fresh veggies and fresh cheese (queso fresco) alongside some corn tortillas (always corn).
Darnit... now I'm hungry...

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »
Mmmm I'm getting hungry too now. You know I've never had Chinese either. We really need to branch out.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2016, 10:14:35 AM »
Mmmm I'm getting hungry too now. You know I've never had Chinese either. We really need to branch out.
As in... you've never had real authentic Chinese food (many Americans haven't), or you've never even had Chinese food from your local take-out Chinese place?

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2016, 11:04:03 AM »
I was thinking of chinese take-out. But I've never had authentic Chinese either.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2016, 11:04:40 AM »
I was thinking of chinese take-out. But I've never had authentic Chinese either.

Have you had thai food?

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »
Nope. My town is kinda small. Not much here in the way of culture or food. Unless you count the BBQ festival we have every October.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2016, 11:11:29 AM »
Nope. My town is kinda small. Not much here in the way of culture or food. Unless you count the BBQ festival we have every October.
Wow.  I've been learning to cook authentic Chinese food.  Let me know when the BBQ festival is - I'll sleep on your couch and cook you Chinese food in exchange for a chance to go to a real BBQ festival (sadly, Québecers have no idea what southern BBQ is - and I grew up spending every summer in NC).

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2016, 11:13:49 AM »
I don't think my folks would do for that lol. But if I lived alone you could sleep on my couch.

The BBQ festival is generally the last Saturday in October. Just google Lexington, NC BBQ Festival.

Know any good, cheap Chinese recipes?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2016, 11:29:20 AM »
I don't think my folks would do for that lol. But if I lived alone you could sleep on my couch.

The BBQ festival is generally the last Saturday in October. Just google Lexington, NC BBQ Festival.

Amanda, I grew up in the south and had never had any Mexican or Chinese food until I was a full adult, too. I'd never really had anything but southern country cooking, actually. But you'll be happy to hear that Mexican and Chinese are healthy and cheap and easy to cook at home once you get going. Try at a restaurant – ask for something mild.  See what you like, and then just Google for ways to cook that. It's easy to get started, and there's no rush – you can start slowly.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2016, 11:44:02 AM »
I looked at the menu for a chinese place in town and it looks good. I think I'd like to try the Beef Lo Mein. And now that I think about it I think I ate some vegetable lo mein in college at a movie we watched for intro to anthropology. It was pretty good so maybe the beef lo mein will be too. And the prices look good at just $4.95 for a small size. Maybe I'll take Mom there tomorrow while Dad and Bro go to the car show in Charlotte.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
I looked at the menu for a chinese place in town and it looks good. I think I'd like to try the Beef Lo Mein. And now that I think about it I think I ate some vegetable lo mein in college at a movie we watched for intro to anthropology. It was pretty good so maybe the beef lo mein will be too. And the prices look good at just $4.95 for a small size. Maybe I'll take Mom there tomorrow while Dad and Bro go to the car show in Charlotte.
While I love authentic Chinese cuisine I'm also a sucker for the American-takeout variety too.  Two things I'd encourage you to try: General Tso's chicken and Mushu Pork.
General Tso's has a sweet-sour taste I love and mushu pork has plenty of veggies and it all gets wrapped up like a chinese burrito.  Yum!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2016, 11:50:47 AM »

Just to be clear I was completely joking about the couch thing.

As for cheap Chinese recipes... yes, but they require finding a lot of unique ingredients you may not already have, like seasame oil, bean paste, Shaoxing wine (more like a vinegar), water chestnuts & Sichuan peppercorns.  All are cheap (except the Shaoxing wine, but it lasts forever) but you need a good chinese grocery store or an online order to find a lot of the stuff.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »

As for cheap Chinese recipes... yes, but they require finding a lot of unique ingredients you may not already have, like seasame oil, bean paste, Shaoxing wine (more like a vinegar), water chestnuts & Sichuan peppercorns.  All are cheap (except the Shaoxing wine, but it lasts forever) but you need a good chinese grocery store or an online order to find a lot of the stuff.

Ha ha I know you were joking. ;) I think I'll stick with the take-out variety then. And after looking up restaurants online I also found a mexican place I wanna try. Oh food I love you. That is my budget weakness. I can't eat crappy food just to save a buck anymore, I just can't do it.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2016, 05:18:19 PM »

"Require" is a fairly flexible idea, though. I cook good Chinese at home all the time and I've never had any of those things,  mostly because they're impossible to get here.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2016, 10:13:57 PM »
I strongly dislike chocolate. In all forms. The waxy cheap stuff tastes like wax, and the expensive stuff tastes bitter. It's not a phobia, I can eat for politeness sake when I must. But I do. not. like. it. People find this very weird.

I'm generally pretty brave with food. The only time has really backfired was the uni adventure. I managed to swallow it, but it was a very near thing.

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2016, 11:43:22 PM »
I wil not store any food in my fridge that is not in a clear or original container.  This Is a result of when I was a teenager and got a glass of OJ from the fridge.  Only to pull off the lid after drinking it to find the entire container coated in green slime.  I puked immediately.  Still have adverse reactions even now some 20 yrs later.  Clear containers ONLY!!!

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2016, 01:57:04 PM »
I wil not store any food in my fridge that is not in a clear or original container.  This Is a result of when I was a teenager and got a glass of OJ from the fridge.  Only to pull off the lid after drinking it to find the entire container coated in green slime.  I puked immediately.  Still have adverse reactions even now some 20 yrs later.  Clear containers ONLY!!!

Ewwww. Reminds me of the time I heard my roomie in my last year of college go 'oh hell no!' at around midnight. I walked into our room and saw her scraping her tongue and saying ' I should've looked at the dip before scooping it out and eating it'. She showed me the container and it had green spots inside it. Yuck!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »

Ewwww. Reminds me of the time I heard my roomie in my last year of college go 'oh hell no!' at around midnight. I walked into our room and saw her scraping her tongue and saying ' I should've looked at the dip before scooping it out and eating it'. She showed me the container and it had green spots inside it. Yuck!
I once drank from a half-full can of sprite and ended up with about 50 ants inside my mouth! 

My brother once put a goldfish in a glass of kool-aid and gave it to my sister.  She drank 3/4 of it before she saw the tail! 

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2016, 12:46:28 PM »
*gags* I would've killed my brother if he did that to me. I accidentally picked up a can of grape soda and went to drink it and found out there was no soda, just ashes from my grandmother's cigarettes.

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »
You people are weird.  My only hard rule for food is no sexual organs; no mountain oysters or the like for me.   Other than that, I’ll try most anything as long as I’m not the only one eating it.

Tacos de ojo (tacos filled with with cow eyes), now that’s a food that I would avoid eating again.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2016, 12:43:30 AM »
Any colored food, like skittles or m&ms, must be arranged in very specific patterns based on number, and eaten accordingly, with rearranging.

Okay, I must confess:

HOW MANDALAY EATS M&MS

Pour out bag on desk
Separate into groups by colors
Count the number of candies in each group
Start eating from the largest group
When the largest group has the same number as the next largest, include the second group
Add each group when the count matches
The last round should be one of each color
Ignore coworkers who say "that's gotta be the weirdest thing I've ever seen."

Fortunately, that seems to be my only food-related quirk.

bahahahahaha

I do this with Starburst. Which I love but rarely eat.