Author Topic: Why Progressives Elected Trump  (Read 27235 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Why Progressives Elected Trump
« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2018, 07:38:09 AM »
This entire thread is an attempt by Trump supporters to ransom potential votes in exchange for ending freedom of speech for anyone who doesn't agree with the sexist, racist, homophobic, and plain cruel actions of the administration and it's supporters.

Fuck negotiating with terrorists.

shenlong55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2018, 07:50:41 AM »
Here’s another point: ultimately, what we say here on the forum doesn’t matter. What candidates say doesn’t matter if all Trump voters do is watch Fox News or get their sources from Facebook shares. I mean, I really do get on some level what you’re saying. It’s not like I can really make or break an election, though, living in a blue state (nor am I even a dem haha). Candidates in town halls, like your example, may make a difference IF Trump voters show up. Better public speeches and televised debates, most likely yes.

For the record, I don’t spend basically any of my time canvassing my neighbors or telling them they are racists for voting Trump. It kind of feels like this is what some of you think of us who vent frustration in an Internet forum... I keep my thoughts to myself. Even my friend, who I used to think highly of before really sitting down and trying to understand her reasons (shocked me quite a bit), I keep silent. I still hold out hope she’ll come around. She, though, voted Trump in a blue state. Her vote counts about as much as mine.

Just want to take a moment to enlighten the left on how Trump was elected since most still dont have a clue and this will impede their efforts to take back control of government. Addressing your bolded statement above, at least for my individual case (and there are MANY more like me):  I'm a Trump voter, I have never been a Republican and probably never will be one, I never watch or listen to FOX news, Infowars, etc, I rarely ever use Facebook, I am highly educated (PhD), am not even the slightest bit racist (am in an inter-racial marriage), and am very well read in politics, international affairs, economics.

I dont listen to what Trump SAYS, he's off the rails with regard to language. I watch what he DOES (this is good advice for any politician or person for that matter). And watching what Trump DOES, I have zero regrets in my vote, I am deeply satisfied with it. Does that mean I approve of everything he does? Certainly not. But I stand by my choice. And to reiterate, there are many more out there like me. Until the left stops demonizing/identifying Trump voters as all dumb racists fux, they will get nowhere.

Just my 2 cents.

On second thought, are you really a persuadable voter?  If all of us agreed en masse to nod respectfully while you explained your total satisfaction with Trump and repeatedly pointed out how not racist and extremely smart you are, would that have any impact on your voting habits?  "deeply satisfied" is about as full-throated support for Trump I've seen here.  If you are deeply satisfied, he's doing what you want, and your voting has nothing to do with how the opposition acts.  So, the only thing that impacts you is the unpleasant social pressure from your fellow smart and not racist peers. 

Why doesn't anyone ever demand that Trump supporters stop stereotyping us?  Maybe we'd vote for Trump if his supporters stopped calling us snowflakes or thugs.

As indicated above, I am not totally satisfied with Trump; hell, no politician has ever delivered in totality, come on man!

You should not vote for a President just because someone stops calling you names (e.g. snowflake/thug). It sounds like a bad voting strategy, but I am assuming you said it tongue in cheek.

Has anyone else noticed that a Trump supporter just said that you shouldn't vote for a president because someone did the thing that some people are saying "the left" should do to get the support of Trump voters?

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2018, 08:09:31 AM »
This entire thread is an attempt by Trump supporters to ransom potential votes in exchange for ending freedom of speech for anyone who doesn't agree with the sexist, racist, homophobic, and plain cruel actions of the administration and it's supporters.

Yeah.  Trump supporters want to vote for him but also avoid the unpleasant social consequences.  This is very self-serving. 

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2018, 09:30:59 AM »

lol ok

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #254 on: August 09, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »

I object to being falsely labeled as a Trump supporter.

I object to your false assertion that I am trying to prevent people from criticizing the trump administration, or criticizing people who advocate sexism, racism, or homophobia.

I sincerely ask that you retract both assertions.

TrudgingAlong

• Stubble
« Reply #255 on: August 09, 2018, 10:11:31 AM »

You should not vote for a President just because someone stops calling you names (e.g. snowflake/thug). It sounds like a bad voting strategy, but I am assuming you said it tongue in cheek.

I did, and you kind of made my point for me.  No one votes for someone because of name calling by opposition supporters. It may be annoying and slightly hurtful that the kind of people you are surrounded by (just hazarding a guess-you are a PhD in an interracial relationship) think Trump is a racist dickhead and don't think too highly of his voters either.  But you aren't going to Trump Harder in response.  You are already Trumping about as hard as you can.  I misquoted you as saying you were totally satisfied, but you did say that you were "deeply satisfied" with your vote.  That's pretty epic support.  I think you'll find most people in these parts are like "eh-he sucks BUT HILLARY" as the highest level of support. 

Anecdata: I followed maizeman's advice for years. I was silent during the Bush years when people were busy measuring spots on Mt. Rushmore for him and shitting on democrats for daring to protest the war.  I was patient and kind when I explained my ideas in favorable conditions.  I listened to those same people who were "just asking" about whether Obama was born in the US. I patiently explained why those theories were untrue.  What did it get me?  Jack shit.  Those same people proudly voted for Trump.  Guess what?  Now I call them out, make fun of Trump's idiotic mistakes, and generally don't pull any punches.  And you know what?  Those people are silent now.  But they aren't my audience.  My audience is the people around them who don't want the shame of being a Trump voter to stick to them.  Because the more shameful it is, the harder it is to capture the social movement and excitement that lead to Trump in the first place.  If it's embarrassing to say you were at a Trump rally, maybe you won't go.  If talking about voting for Trump is just going to get you endless grief, you'll stop talking about it.  How did I learn this strategy?  From the Bernie Bros who jumped down the throats of Hillary voters to the point where they had to gather in private social media groups.  It's effective.  It kills excitement and that sense of in-group belonging that Trump used to great effect. 

We are on the same team, and we are just kicking around strategy at this point on how to get Trump out of office.  My strategy will work on some voters, patient and kindness will work on others.  But every time I hear about some poor Trumper who can't get a date, I think about all the dudes reading that article and thinking "shit-if I vote for Trump, I'm never going to get laid".  That's motivation right there.

Yep, gotta admit that’s where my thoughts go. Being nicer isn’t going to catch a Trump voter who thinks Trump is doing it right, despite what he says. Nothing I say about how wrong he is about immigrants has swayed anyone I knew who was sure they are the source of all wrong, as just one example. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:13:24 AM by TrudgingAlong »

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: August 09, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »
Anecdata: I followed maizeman's advice for years. I was silent during the Bush years when people were busy measuring spots on Mt. Rushmore for him and shitting on democrats for daring to protest the war.  I was patient and kind when I explained my ideas in favorable conditions.  I listened to those same people who were "just asking" about whether Obama was born in the US. I patiently explained why those theories were untrue.  What did it get me?  Jack shit. 

You consider 8 years of a liberal presidency, guaranteed access to healthcare, government subsidies to guarantee poor families have access to life saving treatment, the biggest expansion of the social safety net in a generation, "jack shit"?

TrudgingAlong

• Stubble
« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2018, 10:20:54 AM »
Of course this is the internet. It’s not social media, however, where most of the political influence is made.

I realize we are rapidly approaching a conversational impasse (if we're not there already), but I am curious about the reasoning and/or evidence that lead you to the above conclusion.

Also what are the significant qualitative differences you see between an internet forum (like this one) and social media?

Mostly the audience. We’re this tiny corner of the internet where people actually try to formulate an opinion and consider someone else’s viewpoint. It’s literally the only reason I’m still engaging here, heh. Personally, I don’t think we’re as far apart as it seems, and a real face to face would probably confirm that, but, yay, internet. Most people on the net don’t seem to communicate that way anymore, though. Forums seem to be dying out compared to what I remember them being. A couple I once belonged to actually shut down when everyone started posting on FB most of the time.

Facebook and Twitter are toxic cesspools of chest beating, memes, and a whole lot of insults. After the last election, I stopped posting anything political after realizing it really didn’t make a difference. Ironically, though, it seems a whole lot of what happened on FB and Twitter last election DID. I doubt the Russians spent so much money creating fake accounts and spreading fake news there because it didn’t work. Pizzagate a great example. I don’t like what social media has become and barely use it anymore, but it’s still there, sigh, and not going away anytime soon.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: August 09, 2018, 11:00:54 AM »
I agree we're probably a lot less far apart than it may seem from this discussion (just because it's natural to focus on the areas of disagreement rather than agreement).

Also agree that FB/twitter etc are a toxic cesspool when it comes to political discussion. I got so much happier once I set up strong filters to remove political posts from each before I can see them (whereas the only filter I use on this forum is for a single journal thread I'm trying not to engage with).

Also agree that political discussion (whether organic or from international sources pretending to be organic) on social media clearly did move the needle on the last election.

My guess is that political discussion on forums is qualitatively similar in its potential to influence people's perceptions and ultimately political decisions, even though quantitatively the effect is clearly much smaller just because the audiences are so much smaller (and because presumably we're small enough to not be worth targeting with fake accounts).

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: August 09, 2018, 12:18:30 PM »
Anecdata: I followed maizeman's advice for years. I was silent during the Bush years when people were busy measuring spots on Mt. Rushmore for him and shitting on democrats for daring to protest the war.  I was patient and kind when I explained my ideas in favorable conditions.  I listened to those same people who were "just asking" about whether Obama was born in the US. I patiently explained why those theories were untrue.  What did it get me?  Jack shit. 

You consider 8 years of a liberal presidency, guaranteed access to healthcare, government subsidies to guarantee poor families have access to life saving treatment, the biggest expansion of the social safety net in a generation, "jack shit"?

Oh-that stuff is great, and I'm happy we got it.  But that came about because liberals banded together and voted for it.  Too bad it's all in danger now because people elected Trump.  And some salty people had to vote for Jill fucking Stein.  And let me tell you, conservatives didn't take their frustration with Obama in 2008 and try to engage in meaningful and polite dialogue with liberals.  Nope.  They put tea bags on their hats and held up Obama=Hitler signs and voted in the likes of Devin Nunes et al.  And no one said "oh, conservatives are so uncivil.  I worry that it will make their message ineffective." 

Conservatives have been concern trolling liberals into soft-pedaling their message like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown for years.  I'm tired of it, and I'm ready to take the fight to them.  And, I think it's working.  That's why they are squawking about it.  Because it turns out that Ivanka wants to go to spin class and Scott Pruitt wants to go out to fancy restaurants just like all the filthy elitist liberals they are supposed to hate.  That's the real reason they are complaining-because we are making them uncomfortable, and they'd rather we shut up while they put kids in cages.  And that's happening all the way down to their voters.  Shutting up is what they want.  Let's not indulge them.  Because they don't respect us more if we are polite-they despise us for our weakness.     

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #260 on: August 09, 2018, 01:18:44 PM »

Oh-that stuff is great, and I'm happy we got it.  But that came about because liberals banded together and voted for it.  Too bad it's all in danger now because people elected Trump.  And some salty people had to vote for Jill fucking Stein.  And let me tell you, conservatives didn't take their frustration with Obama in 2008 and try to engage in meaningful and polite dialogue with liberals.  Nope.  They put tea bags on their hats and held up Obama=Hitler signs and voted in the likes of Devin Nunes et al.  And no one said "oh, conservatives are so uncivil.  I worry that it will make their message ineffective." 

Conservatives have been concern trolling liberals into soft-pedaling their message like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown for years.  I'm tired of it, and I'm ready to take the fight to them.  And, I think it's working.  That's why they are squawking about it.  Because it turns out that Ivanka wants to go to spin class and Scott Pruitt wants to go out to fancy restaurants just like all the filthy elitist liberals they are supposed to hate.  That's the real reason they are complaining-because we are making them uncomfortable, and they'd rather we shut up while they put kids in cages.  And that's happening all the way down to their voters.  Shutting up is what they want.  Let's not indulge them.  Because they don't respect us more if we are polite-they despise us for our weakness.     

It appears you completely misunderstand my position (Why would I be telling republicans that they should change their message so they have a better chance with voters? I don't want them to win.), and reading through the lines, it sounds like you are actually questioning my political affiliation because I disagree with you on the most effective tactics to achieve my goals.

I do not support trying to mold the democratic party into a mirror image of the republican party. I think trying to do so is actively counter productive to achieving real and lasting political change.

I'm not sure what else there is to say. *shrug*

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: August 09, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »
maizeman-my apologies. We are on the same team, and we want the same thing.  We need people like you out there doing your thing.  I'll be doing my thing, too.  Trust me-I'm not a dick in person.  But I'm not going to bite my tongue any longer.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: August 09, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »

The democrats need to actually stand for something other than opposing and hating on Trump.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/09/democrats-oppose-trump-republicans-passive

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: August 09, 2018, 05:13:37 PM »
Trump needs to stand for something besides rolling back all Obama’s achievements.

If you don’t understand or can’t read the Democrats platform, then the problem is your reading comprehension and complete failure to do any sort of critical thinking.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #264 on: August 09, 2018, 05:15:56 PM »
Trump needs to stand for something besides rolling back all Obama’s achievements.

See, YOU just prove my point.  It's all about Trump.  And I bet you didn't even read the article I linked to, speaking of reading comprehension.  LOL

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #265 on: August 09, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »
maizeman-my apologies. We are on the same team, and we want the same thing.  We need people like you out there doing your thing.  I'll be doing my thing, too.  Trust me-I'm not a dick in person.  But I'm not going to bite my tongue any longer.

Thank you, Wexler.

I think we just fundamentally disagree about the best path to the same end goal and we both really really want that end goal. And that's okay. Best -MM

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #266 on: August 09, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »

See, YOU just prove my point.  It's all about Trump.  And I bet you didn't even read the article I linked to, speaking of reading comprehension.  LOL

What was your point? Other than to post an opinion piece of one person's perspective of the Dems platform. Do you agree with this person's assessment of Trump or only his assessment of the Dem's platform?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:44:05 PM by MasterStache »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #267 on: August 09, 2018, 05:43:50 PM »

What was your point?

That for Democrats it seems to be mostly about opposing Trump, hating on Trump, rather than having their own message about what they're for and getting that message out.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/09/democrats-oppose-trump-republicans-passive

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #268 on: August 09, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »

What was your point?

That for Democrats it seems to be mostly about opposing Trump, hating on Trump, rather than having their own message about what they're for and getting that message out.

The author says you should also oppose Trump and pretty much puts what he stands for through the ringer (to put it nicely). Do you agree with this? OR did you just cherry pick the parts that seem to rip on Dems?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #269 on: August 09, 2018, 06:14:54 PM »

What was your point?

The media decides to make everything about Trump.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »

What was your point?

The author says you should also oppose Trump and pretty much puts what he stands for through the ringer (to put it nicely). Do you agree with this? OR did you just cherry pick the parts that seem to rip on Dems?

The point for linking to that article was that it aligns with the point I was making as opposed to making a comment based on an article.  I do agree with some of the comments about Trump, although going on about that is contrary to the point I was making in the first place.  As I've stated before, I very much want to see the dems take back at least one chamber of Congress.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: August 10, 2018, 04:10:32 AM »
Sigh....missing the point as usual.  I was mocking the clickbait title of that article.

Dems have a detailed policy platform which anyone actually arguing in good faith would know about.  Hillary had policy coming out her ears, but no one cared.  Trump draws all eyes and boosts ratings so the media covers him, and the dems are forced to respond.  If they didn’t, the headline would be “Dems don’t push back against Trump”

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. 

The real question is, what do the Republicans stand for these days?  Because with them, I have no fucking clue anymore.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #272 on: August 10, 2018, 05:49:28 AM »

What was your point?

The point for linking to that article was that it aligns with the point I was making as opposed to making a comment based on an article.  I do agree with some of the comments about Trump, although going on about that is contrary to the point I was making in the first place.  As I've stated before, I very much want to see the dems take back at least one chamber of Congress.

The Dems do have a valid platform. Not sure your point is valid.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #273 on: August 10, 2018, 09:04:48 AM »

What was your point?

From the article:

"A Washington Post poll last year showed a majority of registered voters thought the Democratic party stood for nothing other than being against Trump."

That goes in line with the point I made about getting the message out.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:08:01 AM by DreamFIRE »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: August 10, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »

What was your point?

From the article:

"A Washington Post poll last year showed a majority of registered voters thought the Democratic party stood for nothing other than being against Trump."

That goes in line with the point I made about getting the message out.

As a registered Democrat, I completely agree. I believe that the party has a platform, but not so sure it's coherent. And they clearly are not doing a good enough job communicating it to people. If you have to go to the party's website to find out what it even is, then you're losing the battle. Only total wonks will do that. Everybody in this country should be able to hold up one hand and list the points of their platform while counting off on their fingers.

I can't even do that. And I pay a hell of a lot of attention to this stuff.

TrudgingAlong

• Stubble
« Reply #275 on: August 10, 2018, 09:50:53 AM »
These are good points. I agree the Dems aren’t doing a good job communicating what they will DO. I noticed upthread that when you try to explain why what Trump is doing, someone defending him and calling me “the left” completely ignored my very specific comment.

Their examples are things like the economy (already doing well when Trump took over), jobs (once again, already very low numbers when he was elected - I find it curious no one has a concrete example of people being put back to work), and judges. Okay judges, although I think the Republicans scammed their way into the that one, I can’t argue there, but the rest? Thank you, Obama.

Wages haven’t gone up at all, despite the big tax bill for corporations. Foreign policy is in the toilet, tariffs might derail that “great economy” and the jobs numbers, immigration is a bigger mess than before (despite Trump fast tracking his immigrant in laws to citizenship, the hyppocrite). Oh, and instead of fixing healthcare like he promised, he’s just done everything he can to make it worse, and clearly has zero concrete plan to solve it.

I’m still waiting for a Trump supporter to really get into the weeds with that stuff. They’d prefer to talk about how we hate him irrationally because he talks shit.

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #276 on: August 10, 2018, 10:23:37 AM »
I would be interested to see how things turn out in KY6. Lt. Col. McGrath understands the importance to reach out to the rural and working class in the district. At the same time she's a bit on the more progressive side (namely for "new generation of leaders" and some other stuffs), maybe it might still work out in her favor.

According to herself, she sat on a runway on 9/11 with missiles strapped on her fighter-jet waiting orders to shoot down civilian planes to defend the general public. I wouldn't want to underestimate the resolves and determination from someone like that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #277 on: August 11, 2018, 01:55:36 PM »

I object to being falsely labeled as a Trump supporter.

I object to your false assertion that I am trying to prevent people from criticizing the trump administration, or criticizing people who advocate sexism, racism, or homophobia.

I sincerely ask that you retract both assertions.

Well, I've had time to sulk about it, but you're right.  I retract my false assertion in your case, and apologize.  I do kinda feel that there are people in this thread who are doing exactly what I outlined, but you're certainly not one of them.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #278 on: August 11, 2018, 06:52:25 PM »
Thank you @GuitarStv, I appreciate it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!