Author Topic: Why do you drink coffee?  (Read 22629 times)

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
Re: Why do you drink coffee?
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
Cuz I likes it.  Also take 2 Benadryl every morning for allergies, and the coffee cancels out the sleep inducing side effects. 

SharkStomper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2017, 08:59:53 PM »
Because they assign me labels if I drink whiskey at 8 AM.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2017, 12:34:56 PM »
Because I still work (12-16 hr days) and remaining alert is a matter of survival. I never drink coffee at home and won't drink it again after I retire.

msmarieh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Married woman on a journey to FI
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2017, 01:00:20 PM »
I've never ever been a coffee drinker. I can't even stand the smell of it, much less the taste.

I am a chocolate/sweets addict, with hot chocolate being my drink of choice. Since I don't even like tiramisu or mocha cake or coffee ice cream, I am quite certain I will never have a desire for coffee and I can't say I particularly care. LOL ROFL I have never had a wish to develop a taste for it.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »
Coffee = Nectar of the Gods!!!!!

My co-worker bought me this and hung it in my office

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »
It's free. If you drink it at work, that is.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have paid for coffee in the last 10 years. They all involved some sort of grueling travel itinerary that required caffeine for me to stay awake.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »
Love coffee - smell and taste:) Enjoy the ritual of a cup of coffee first thing in the morning, with minimal cream and sugar. Black on occasion.
Usually one or two cups - sometimes a cup in the afternoon.
We have a Ninja coffee bar, occasionally use my Italian mocha/espresso pot.
I grind my own beans and switch off between different brands.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2017, 08:33:52 PM »
I joined the Navy.

Do I really need to say more?

tavore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
I never drank coffee until I figured out immersion cold brewing. Now, DW claims I've spoiled her for any other coffee.

For those who dislike the taste but love the smell, try a making a cold brew yourself. It's very smooth, much less acidic, and can even make the crappiest beans taste expensive. All you need is a mason jar and coarse-ground coffee, a funnel, a couple of pieces of paper towels to filter it out while decanting, and 12-16 hours of brewing time. My magic ingredient is jaggery. I put in just enough to balance any lingering acidity, but not so much that it feels sugary. Add some cream, or raw ground chocolate, and it tastes like heaven!

I limit myself to one cup in the morning. I usually don't need caffeine to feel awake. The aroma always puts me in a much better mood.

cacaoheart

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2017, 02:54:32 AM »
I started drinking a big 20 ounce mug of coffee that was half milk and lots of sugar with my dad at age 7. Around age 13 I got into yoga and fasting, and switched to just drinking water and green tea for the next several years. Then at 24 my now-wife got me a french press because she likes the smell of coffee but doesn't drink much herself.

8 years later I drink mostly aeropress or french press at home, and have 2 moka pots, a yama vac pot stove brewer (gift from a friend, I find it's better for making black tea), turkish coffee pot, and chemex filters that I mostly use with a canning funnel for straining cold brew. I have 3 grinders, first a cheap blade grinder that now mostly gets used for grinding spices, a modified hario manual burr grinder that's good for when I want to grind quietly or without power, and for the last few years I've used a baratza encore burr grinder. Espresso interests me but I'm not sure if/when I'll make the jump to a $500+ grinder and $1000+ machine.

I used to bring my own coffee to work, but lately the new machine there has been good enough that I can drink theirs black, so I now have one less thing to bring with me. At home I have 1-3 cups of coffee per day, typically followed by tea throughout the day. I tend to have medium roasts black or add a teaspoon of sugar and an ounce of milk or cream to a good dark roast. Frothing the cream and sugar before adding the coffee makes it something my wife loves stealing from me. We have 30+ bags and jars of looseleaf tea, with lots of oolong, black, and some green, white, and pu-erh. Most tea is perfect with nothing added. My wife loves going to the local tea shop. Right now she's on a mission to try all their oolongs, and I'm enjoying the adventure.

I tried roasting some green beans from Sweet Marias with a stove top popcorn roaster but for now am sticking with Trader Joes/Whole Foods at $7-10 per pound, going through ~a pound every 10 days. I can have a cup then take a nap, but rarely will I do much in the morning before I've had a cup or two. I enjoy the flavor and process. It probably doesn't make me much more alert at this point.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:57:27 AM by cacaoheart »

Little Aussie Battler

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2017, 03:53:49 AM »
Two young kids and an employer who frowns on me falling asleep at my desk.

Although I've significantly reduced my intake, and now have 1-2 espresso's from the office kitchen instead of buying 5-6 double macchiato's from the coffee shop downstairs.

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
One day if I become super spendy, I will still drive a 10+ year old car, but my kitchen will have a $500 coffee grinder and a la pavoni espresso machine. Hey my cup is empty!

Buy a used La Pavoni Europiccola on eBay. They rarely need more than a light cleaning and new gaskets to keep them going for decades. Get an Orphan Espresso hand grider, like the Lido. You can spend less than $500 for both and use them for the rest of your life.

iceberg8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2017, 01:45:42 PM »
Because I can throw it in compost :D

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »
This might seem like a silly question, but I genuinely am curious! Caffeine, even in tea upsets my stomach. And I never really liked the taste of coffee unless it had a lot of creamer/sugar. But maybe I'm just not used to it? It seems that people refuse to cut out coffee for money-saving purposes, so maybe I'm missing out on life...

Why do you drink coffee? For the caffeine, taste, both? Are you actively trying to quit?

Did you always like it or is it really an acquired taste? If my body doesn't like coffee, is that something I will get used to over time?

How much do you spend on coffee in a year (including cost of coffee maker, cups, creamer, etc)? Is it slowing your retirement? What are some frugal ways to drink coffee? Bulk order online, etc?

Why do I drink coffee? Because it's delicious and keeps me happy and prevents the wholesale slaughter of my coworkers.

I drink mine black and pretty strong. I have 2 different coffee makers I use on a regular basis, the first is a French press that is my go-to during the week, the 2nd is a pour over that I use more on the weekends. I grind my coffee beans fresh and even have a hand grinder for camping.

Grounds go in the compost bin.

I didn't drink coffee until after college and started working in my current field which is stressful, very boom or bust/cyclical and can have crazy hrs(70 hr work weeks). My dad drank the folgers instant junk growing up and that is pretty bitter when you aren't used to it.

Definitely an acquired taste. Started drinking w/ creamer or milk and sugar, but have cut down to no cream/no sugar with the exception of occasional shot of baileys on the weekend. 

We buy the coffee in bulk when on sale(3-4 lb's at a time) and put in the freezer. No idea how much I spend on it over a year as the purchase of coffee is part of the grocery bills, but I assume at the high end under $300 annual, so $13 a month per person.  Funny thing is I expect this to go up once we retire because when camping/on the weekend, we can go through 2 or 3 pots a day vs just one in the morning during the week before work. On the weekends/well camping we put the excess into Oggies (vacuumed sealed containers) that will keep warm for the rest of the day so we can have a hot cup of coffee whenever we want.

The first cup of coffee is our ritual in the morning to help us wake up and get going.

I am not caffeine sensitive, I can drink a huge amount of coffee with no negative impact(jitters, ect) and can drink right before bed with no issues.

happylife17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
I have a love/hate relationship with coffee.  I started drinking it around 23 while in college and significantly increased my consumption while I studied for my CPA exam.

Currently I drink about 3 cups every morning.  It is a habit, if I don't have it then I feel like something is off and not quite right.  It is also an addiction, if I don't have it then just don't talk to me and get ready to face my wrath.  I tried plenty of times to quit, my body goes through horrible withdrawal symptoms and the most I have lasted is 1.5 days.  It's a vicious cycle.  I would like to one day be off coffee but realistically this will not happen until I quit my day job.  I love the taste, smell and feeling of holding my hot cup but I hate that I am so dependent on it.

I used to drink Starbucks daily (and as a result watched my bank account dwindle down rapidly), now I brew my coffee at home.  Coffee is included in my grocery budget so I don't really know how much I spend yearly but I buy a big bag at Sams for about $19.  This bag lasts me about 2 months.

Sidenote - $19 at Starbucks will buy about 4 venti lattes or 7ish cups of coffee. Not worth it!

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
About 20 years ago, I used to drink a few cups of regular coffee every day at work.  It was free.  I would get headaches on the weekend and eventually realized it was caffeine withdrawal.  I wasn't drinking coffee at home back then.  After I made the connection, I started drinking decaf most of the time and limiting myself to only one cup of regular coffee unless I'm unusually tired, such as when I only get a few hours of sleep.

gmdv

• Stubble
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »
1. I'm addicted
2. It's free at work
3. Good appetite suppressor

I only have one cup in the morning so it doesn't affect my sleep that much.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »
I don't drink coffee, but I sure love the smell of it.*

For that matter, I've never been a smoker, but I think that very first drag of someone else's cigarette, particularly if lit with a match, smells good, too. Once the cigarette starts burning and giving off smoke, ack, gross, disgusting, get that stinky thing away from me!!! I know that's weird. Fortunately, I live in a place where smoking is banned in all public places and in all multi-family housing.

Happily, coffee is not.

*Coffee smell anecdote: A friend's husband worked at a fancy high-end coffee roastery. A guy asked to have their used burlap sacks. He asked him what he was going to do with them and the guy said he used them to groom horses. Apparently the horses loved the coffee smell. One day, he dropped off tickets for a horse race. My friend and her husband went. Seems the tickets admitted them to a very swanky owner's box. Yup, the guy in the old truck who collected the burlap bags. They placed a small bet on a random horse and won $800. Not a bad payback for recycling some burlap bags.

ATR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
- It's delicious
- It's social (everyone in my small office takes a quick break and we have a coffee together, usually after lunch or in the later afternoon)
- Caffeine when needed!
- Did I mention it's delicious?

I drink a shot of espresso with steamed milk and a smidge of sugar. Coffee and espresso as well as milk and sugar are provided by work at no charge. On the weekends I usually have a latte in the morning. Overall cost is quite minimal as most of my consumption is at work.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2017, 03:00:38 PM »
Because it's a perc of the job.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2017, 03:18:56 PM »
Because it's a perc of the job.

thanks for the laugh!

vatacvalves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2017, 09:55:53 PM »
 I drink coffee basically because I depend on caffeine now. If I missed drinking coffe or other caffeinated beverages I get headaches all the time. But my doctor says it will not last if I will not drink coffee for a day or so. But what the heck we can't miss our regular drinking of coffe can we?

I also sometimes drink it to stay awake when I need to. You know school projects and stuff.

But sometimes I drink coffee just for plain leisure. Who doesn't want the taste of coffee? Seriously?

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2017, 10:24:50 PM »
Because coffee is one of the three pleasures that don't try to kill you.