Author Topic: Who will be our second walrus?  (Read 144931 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Who will be our second walrus?
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »
huh.  Seems I just "leveled up". 
Strange, I don't feel any different...

No, the Handlebar covers 1000-2499. You've got another 480ish until Magnum.
Oh.  Then will I feel the power of mustachianism flow through my veins?

Then you'll be like this:

I get a ferarri at 2500 posts?  Cool!  Do I have to ride around with that goober though?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2015, 11:21:23 PM »
Unless there is a flurry of holiday posting, the walrus club will remain status quo through the end of the year.  In January, however, GuitarStv, 2ndTimer, and scrubbyfish appear poised to join within ~10 days of each other.

That is, of course, if current momentum continues unchanged....

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2015, 01:31:31 AM »

Unless there is a flurry of holiday posting, the walrus club will remain status quo through the end of the year.  In January, however, GuitarStv, 2ndTimer, and scrubbyfish appear poised to join within ~10 days of each other.

Good. Our monthly meetings have gotten a little stale.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 08:19:19 AM »
Unless there is a flurry of holiday posting, the walrus club will remain status quo through the end of the year. 

Walrus-watching has lost its allure now that the club's ranks have grown.  Wake us up when someone approaches the next threshold.  Any bets on who will be anointed our first Nipple Hair Stache?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 12:06:27 PM »
Any bets on who will be anointed our first Nipple Hair Stache?
Anointed?  Nah, I give ARS credit for better taste.

OTOH, castigated - as you suggested - is more plausible....

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 12:38:21 PM »
OTOH, castigated - as you suggested - is more plausible....

Well, in my view (and, based on the tidbit below from the latest post on the main site, the view of our gracious host), achieving an unreasonably high post count is itself good cause for castigation.

Quote from: Mr. Money Mustache Himself
Even Reddit or Slashdot or (gasp) the Mr. Money Mustache Forum are geysers of consumption temptation. You can get valuable information from these sources if you consult them when you actually need that information, but you can’t get more happiness by consuming more of them than necessary.

To fix the problem, you need to very consciously stop the binge.

Thankfully, because I take vastly more than I give, my own severe overindulgence in forum consumption is not fully reflected in my post count, so I will be spared the public-shaming-via-extreme-mustache-level-branding.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »
TheGoblinChief passed me a while ago... he's gonna have to host Margarita Mondays now.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2015, 07:39:06 PM »
TheGoblinChief passed me a while ago... he's gonna have to host Margarita Mondays now.

How does one become a "registered member" anyway?  And what do I have to do to get an invite to Margarita Mondays?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2015, 07:52:37 PM »

How does one become a "registered member" anyway?  And what do I have to do to get an invite to Margarita Mondays?

Margarita Mondays are for walrii so just get to 5k posts

To become a member you must register

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
well I'm about to get a Magnum stash so I'll take guy and you can have the car.  He's still that age right?  So who is the newest walrus anyways?

GuitarStv made it a week or two ago, 2ndTimer is a few days away, but scrubbyfish went backwards ~a thousand posts so she won't be joining any time soon:

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »

GuitarStv made it a week or two ago, 2ndTimer is a few days away, but scrubbyfish went backwards ~a thousand posts so she won't be joining any time soon:

Mega post/account delete?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2016, 10:32:36 PM »

Don't know the how (or when or why or...), just the what.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2016, 12:59:05 AM »

Don't know the how (or when or why or...), just the what.

Scrubby probably missed a magnumstache probation meeting

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2016, 07:14:41 AM »

Foul play among the reigning walrusocracy seems more likely.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2016, 07:19:00 AM »

The amount of politics among the 1% posters is crazy.

Don't get me started on the lobbying.

I can't deny the free steaks are great, though.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2016, 08:25:45 AM »

The amount of politics among the 1% posters is crazy.

Don't get me started on the lobbying.

I can't deny the free steaks are great, though.
We - are - the 99%!!
Our posts will not be ignored!!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »

Scrubby has the annoying habit of going back and deleting posts when she wants to stop following a thread. My old journal was littered with replies to comments from her that made absolutely no sense in context anymore.

Is it that hard for people to use the notify button versus the show new replies?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »

Scrubby has the annoying habit of going back and deleting posts when she wants to stop following a thread. My old journal was littered with replies to comments from her that made absolutely no sense in context anymore.
AS i noted before, it's really annoying and inconsiderate to delete threads that have been responded to in a thread... it just leaves the entire thread with holes and makes for some difficult reading.

Is it that hard for people to use the notify button versus the show new replies?
Personally, I hate using the notify button.  I get notification after notification, vs just clicking on 'show new replies' when i actually want to read a thread.  otherwise i ignore it. 
But I see scrubbyfish's frustration with not being able to 'unfollow' a thread.  After a few papes most threads go off the rails and I stop reading them, but they keep popping up. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2016, 08:54:03 AM »

The notify button is annoying, cause it sends you emails.  If it showed you a page of threads you were subscribed to, like the replies to your post, it would be usable.

I agree with nereo, I almost never delete posts of mine.. there's two exceptions I can think of.  But I understand the draw, and it's her choice.

I think most of her going backwards was deleting her first two journals.  They were like 30+ pages each.  1000 replies is a lot though.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2016, 08:58:21 AM »
Eh, I guess I don't mind the emails. That way I can see when there's a reply without going to the forum.

If it's an inbox clutter issue, just create a filter that puts the emails in a separate folder that's not your main inbox?

Any thought of trying to migrate the forum to a platform that does offer a feature like that? Or building that in this software? Plenty of software engineers here. No idea how hard that would be. Probably hella hard.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2016, 09:02:51 AM »
Any thought of trying to migrate the forum to a platform that does offer a feature like that? Or building that in this software?

Don't tell me you actually believe the old party line that this forum's software lacks the ability to enable thread unfollowing -- it's pure subterfuge.  Arebelautocrat obviously keeps the feature turned off as a ploy to sow frustration and incentivize post-deletion so his obscene lead in the post-count race remains unchallenged.

Edited to correct a typo (changed "incentive" to "incentivize"), and to add my quasi-relevant observation that undisclosed ex post facto substantive post-editing annoys me almost as much as deleted posts that ruin the flow of a thread's discussion.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:21:33 AM by brooklynguy »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2016, 09:25:45 AM »
Eh, I guess I don't mind the emails. That way I can see when there's a reply without going to the forum.

If it's an inbox clutter issue, just create a filter that puts the emails in a separate folder that's not your main inbox?
I like the have clear divisions in my digital life.  Emails are for work/real-life.  MMM forum is for strangers shouting at each other over  the internet.  When I want to escape one, I go to the other.  It's like a wonderful mistress.

Any thought of trying to migrate the forum to a platform that does offer a feature like that? Or building that in this software? Plenty of software engineers here. No idea how hard that would be. Probably hella hard.
I love that oyu used the phrase "hella hard" - very NorCal... but I thought you were in the midWest... do they say "hella ___" there too?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2016, 02:02:47 PM »

The notify button is annoying, cause it sends you emails.  If it showed you a page of threads you were subscribed to, like the replies to your post, it would be usable.

I agree with nereo, I almost never delete posts of mine.. there's two exceptions I can think of.  But I understand the draw, and it's her choice.

I think most of her going backwards was deleting her first two journals.  They were like 30+ pages each.  1000 replies is a lot though.
You mean that's why my post count has also gone down? This is mean - I'll NEVER get to be a walrus!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »

I like the have clear divisions in my digital life.  Emails are for work/real-life.  MMM forum is for strangers shouting at each other over  the internet.  When I want to escape one, I go to the other.  It's like a wonderful mistress.

I love that oyu used the phrase "hella hard" - very NorCal... but I thought you were in the midWest... do they say "hella ___" there too?

Isn't smf open source?  Might be a fun side project and not even sure it would take much to code and I WOULD like to unsubscribe from some

Edit:  it's already here:  http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1193

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:59:34 PM by dragoncar »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2016, 05:39:05 PM »

Isn't smf open source?  Might be a fun side project and not even sure it would take much to code and I WOULD like to unsubscribe from some

Edit:  it's already here:  http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1193

I'm pretty sure arebelspy has looked at this before but it causes way too big a performance hit for a forum of our size.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2016, 06:34:14 PM »

I'm pretty sure arebelspy has looked at this before but it causes way too big a performance hit for a forum of our size.

That's sad... it shouldn't require more than a single extra DB lookup when generating the read posts list.  Maybe I should try to edit the mod and make it faster.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2016, 12:49:31 PM »
I guess it looks up every thread against each user or something.  There was a discussion on it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2016, 01:26:37 PM »
I guess it looks up every thread against each user or something.  There was a discussion on it.
Well, we're very good at discussing things.  Over, and over, and over again.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2016, 02:48:48 PM »
Well, we're very good at discussing things.  Over, and over, and over again.

Yeah, I looked at the code for generating the unread replies page and even THAT generates a list of topics the user has posted in every time the page is generated.  If it was me, I would keep a list of topics the user has posted in, and just check that.  But it's a trade off of storage space vs processing since if the list is very long the database gets bigger.  It would, however, make removing a topic from the permanent list trivial.  The way it is now, you need to keep a list of unsubscribed topics and check against that when generating the log of topics the user has posted in.

The code is pretty well commented, but some are pretty useless in a funny way like "//better safe than sorry"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2016, 10:58:04 PM »
Nevertheless, I'd vote for you!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2016, 12:04:06 AM »
2500 posts - woo hoo! Magnum stash me baby. Now I just have to remember not to delete any of my posts (been there done that). Once even deleted my entire account - a drunken night, a shiney red button begging to be pushed, a "I wonder what happens if I press this button" moment. Probably a good thing I'm not the President ;)

Just don't miss a parole meeting

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2016, 06:11:11 AM »
Nevertheless, I'd vote for you!
Sure, me too - a fuzzy white animal with a mustache seems like the best choice in this field of contenders.
Speaking of which... anyone else notice that NONE of the 20+ candidates has a real mustache?  Ben Carson is about the closest, but it's more 'full-face stubble' than a true 'stache.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2016, 06:31:01 AM »
Speaking of which... anyone else notice that NONE of the 20+ candidates has a real mustache?

That's because: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/remember-fellows-any-boy-can-become-presidentunless-hes-got-a-mustache/ :)

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2016, 09:06:56 AM »
a shiney red button begging to be pushed, a "I wonder what happens if I press this button" moment.

Stimpy?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2016, 09:26:46 AM »
a shiney red button begging to be pushed, a "I wonder what happens if I press this button" moment.

Stimpy?

Best.  Episode. Ever. (of R&S)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2016, 11:55:46 AM »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2016, 07:56:29 PM »

Stimpy?

Ha yeah something like that. Except I live and everyone else is vaporized. Spartana, President of her own zombie apocalypse underground shelter.

I'll be in my bunker

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2016, 09:30:03 PM »
I'll be in my bunker

Bunker?

I barely know 'er!

(Also props for the Jayne pun.)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2016, 12:08:54 AM »
There are some people I know who would pull the plug out of the bottom of the universe just to see what would happen.

(With apologies to Terry Pratchett for that analogy)

I'm going to go hide now before Stimpy shocks me through the screen

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:40 AM »

It's a History Eraser Button (presumably no electrocution involved), but I wouldn't be surprised if the recurrent chain of animated gifs above induces an actual real life seizure or two.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2016, 04:11:41 PM »

It's a History Eraser Button (presumably no electrocution involved), but I wouldn't be surprised if the recurrent chain of animated gifs above induces an actual real life seizure or two.

Haven't we done this before?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2016, 07:30:47 PM »
I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. I'm adding my two cents because I only recently discovered the Stats Page. Profile => Summary => Show Stats.

Holy Mother of God, it shows that I have spent over 25 freakin' days on this blog and I'm nowhere close to Walrus (and don't really want to become one because I think know it will make my butt look big).

WTF? How in hell have I frittered away nearly a month of my life without realizing it? Okay, I get that I'm FIRE and don't watch much TV, but WTF, WTF people? I really like hanging out here, especially when I can help a mustachian out, but really? Almost a month? I'm tempted to look at some of the Walruses' stats, but I just really do not want to know. One thing I do know for sure is that I'm never, ever, never going to delete anything. Gah!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. I'm adding my two cents because I only recently discovered the Stats Page. Profile => Summary => Show Stats.

Holy Mother of God, it shows that I have spent over 25 freakin' days on this blog and I'm nowhere close to Walrus (and don't really want to become one because I think know it will make my butt look big).

WTF? How in hell have I frittered away nearly a month of my life without realizing it? Okay, I get that I'm FIRE and don't watch much TV, but WTF, WTF people? I really like hanging out here, especially when I can help a mustachian out, but really? Almost a month? I'm tempted to look at some of the Walruses' stats, but I just really do not want to know. One thing I do know for sure is that I'm never, ever, never going to delete anything. Gah!

I've got a similar post count and I've spent 35 days here.

I've thought about cutting back because I don't get much benefit out of this forum anymore (unlike at the beginning, when I was learning a lot), but it's fun and I keep coming back.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2016, 08:13:06 PM »
One thing I do know for sure is that I'm never, ever, never going to delete anything. Gah!
Why?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2016, 11:22:21 PM »
Because that would be like losing twice as much of my life and I'm freaked out about it enough as it is.

And I love scrubbyfish and think she deserves Walrus status (but only if she wants it!).

Random question for those who know: Do PM's count, too?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2016, 12:03:13 AM »

I don't know exactly how the time online is calculated, but I'm pretty sure mine is exaggerated.  Because if I click a link, do something else for half an hour, then click another link, it probably assumes I've been online for half an hour.  But since I mostly leave the page open and refresh it occasionally throughout the day it's considering me to be online far longer than I'm actually interacting with the forum

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2016, 12:04:58 AM »

No.  But posts in sections that may be hidden from you do.

I don't know exactly how the time online is calculated, but I'm pretty sure mine is exaggerated.  Because if I click a link, do something else for half an hour, then click another link, it probably assumes I've been online for half an hour.  But since I mostly leave the page open and refresh it occasionally throughout the day it's considering me to be online far longer than I'm actually interacting with the forum

+1.  I have the site open much more than I'm actually on it, especially for quick moderating (spam).

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2016, 05:39:11 AM »

No.  But posts in sections that may be hidden from you do.

So the truth comes out!!!  There are secret subsections of this forum where Walruses (walrii?) and arebelspy discuss nefarious things away from the eyes of us lesser mustacherinios.  Even MMM is rigged to keep us in our place!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2016, 05:56:19 AM »
Even MMM is rigged to keep us in our place!

It is!

They aren't so secret, just hidden.

A teaser: one of posters within the last half dozen posts in this thread will be getting access to a hidden subforum very soon... ;)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2016, 06:12:49 AM »
Even MMM is rigged to keep us in our place!

They aren't so secret, just hidden.

Semantics!  That's like when the big bad evil government says they aren't running a secret war, they just have "covert, classified operations". 

A teaser: one of posters within the last half dozen posts in this thread will be getting access to a hidden subforum very soon... ;)