Author Topic: Who will be our second walrus?  (Read 145376 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Who will be our second walrus?
« Reply #450 on: December 08, 2020, 06:10:21 PM »
SMF sounds like "hey we wrote this in 1998 and it's state of the art still!"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #451 on: December 08, 2020, 07:21:11 PM »
Very

Seriously post count isn’t just a database entry that can be modified?  I guess it could do some kind of maintenance rebuild sanity check but it seems inefficient to do a post enumeration every time you need to display post count

We don’t need a general solution for a couple edge cases

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #452 on: December 08, 2020, 08:57:03 PM »
I thought the request was to make it so that your post count would reflect your posts which had not been deleted, but your mustache title would reflect your maximum ever posts unadjusted for deletion?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #453 on: December 08, 2020, 09:16:33 PM »
Take the bad code out, put the good code in. It's like removing cancerous cells, simple stuff.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #454 on: December 08, 2020, 11:45:19 PM »
I thought the request was to make it so that your post count would reflect your posts which had not been deleted, but your mustache title would reflect your maximum ever posts unadjusted for deletion?
Exactly.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #455 on: December 09, 2020, 01:41:47 AM »
Exactly.

Not sure which user is actually requesting this feature, but hypothetically if I said "oh yeah in 5 minutes I can update your post count to be 5000 so you get walrus stache but the post count will hereafter be incorrect" that would be objectionable? 

Presumably this would only be done for a very few long standing members who could basically say "oh I deleted about 2000 posts" and you just take their word for it because... well nobody really cares deep down about the integrity of our post counting system do they?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:43:21 AM by dragoncar »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #456 on: December 09, 2020, 06:05:16 AM »
Exactly.

Not sure which user is actually requesting this feature, but hypothetically if I said "oh yeah in 5 minutes I can update your post count to be 5000 so you get walrus stache but the post count will hereafter be incorrect" that would be objectionable? 

Presumably this would only be done for a very few long standing members who could basically say "oh I deleted about 2000 posts" and you just take their word for it because... well nobody really cares deep down about the integrity of our post counting system do they?
But they actually did make that many posts. In both cases I'm thinking of, the mods knew exactly why they had to take down their journals and related writings. It's not about the "integrity of our post counting system" at all, but recognizing their overall contributions on this forum.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #457 on: December 09, 2020, 07:11:36 AM »
BTW, is what I'm thinking of even that difficult compared to adding the "Who Quoted Me?" feature (which is a great upgrade)? I know we have some super smart folks around here.

The whole concept of naming various levels is indicative of achievement and contribution to the whole. They're kind of like merit badges. Once legitimately earned, they shouldn't be taken away, IMO.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #458 on: December 09, 2020, 07:35:57 AM »
Who Quoted Me isn't something the administrators here on the forums created but a new mod for SMF written by someone else that our own administrators chose to install. https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4203

Creating that mod involved someone who understands the guts of SMF (this person) writing at least 796 lines of new PHP code and troubleshooting, testing, and documenting that code.

There are a lot of things which should be really hard which computers make easy. But there are also a lot of things which seem like they should be easy, which are actually really hard to get a computer to do.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #459 on: December 09, 2020, 09:01:33 AM »

There are a lot of things which should be really hard which computers make easy. But there are also a lot of things which seem like they should be easy, which are actually really hard to get a computer to do.
That pretty much sums up my current problems with coding and the communication I’m having between do-authors. What is logically simple isn’t always strait forward to implement. Occasionally some very complex things are actually easy to code (once you discover how). Communicating that to others is neigh impossible.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #460 on: December 09, 2020, 09:17:42 AM »

That pretty much sums up my current problems with coding and the communication I’m having between do-authors. What is logically simple isn’t always strait forward to implement. Occasionally some very complex things are actually easy to code (once you discover how). Communicating that to others is neigh impossible.

You can talk yourself hoarse....

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #461 on: December 09, 2020, 09:20:47 AM »

This is a whinneying post.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #462 on: December 09, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »

I see everyone is feeling their oats today.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #463 on: December 09, 2020, 10:45:25 AM »

I see everyone is feeling their oats today.
I have the inventor of auto-correct to thank for this.  May he Reese’s pieces. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #464 on: December 09, 2020, 11:34:31 AM »
BTW, is what I'm thinking of even that difficult compared to adding the "Who Quoted Me?" feature (which is a great upgrade)? I know we have some super smart folks around here.

The whole concept of naming various levels is indicative of achievement and contribution to the whole. They're kind of like merit badges. Once legitimately earned, they shouldn't be taken away, IMO.

I don’t think you have to convince us that sticky levels would be a nice feature.  Although I can imagine one particular user thinking it’s silly

I also don’t think it would be fundamentally hard to implement (I perused the code last night). The issues would be:

it will make the user database somewhat larger, which could have a performance impact.

although I think it would only be a handful of lines of code, without knowing the code base well, there’s always the chance of introducing a bug in a portion we didn’t think to check.  Besides the general problem of bug checking without bringing down the forum (setting up a test environment and verifying the change is probably a bigger task than just modifying the code)

Doing it the “right” way as some sort of plugin would also be a lot more work than just modifying the local copy.  For example, putting the option to enable/disable the feature.  Not sure how often this forum upgrades to newer versions

It wouldn’t be retroactive. I don’t think we have a record of deleted posts although I didn’t check that closely

That’s why I suggested a manual post count update, which might even already be in the admin/mod panel options (I saw a discussion thread where mods had the ability to change post counts and the poster wanted to disable that ability)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:39:32 AM by dragoncar »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #465 on: December 09, 2020, 03:18:55 PM »

I don’t think you have to convince us that sticky levels would be a nice feature.  Although I can imagine one particular user thinking it’s silly

I also don’t think it would be fundamentally hard to implement (I perused the code last night). The issues would be:

it will make the user database somewhat larger, which could have a performance impact.

although I think it would only be a handful of lines of code, without knowing the code base well, there’s always the chance of introducing a bug in a portion we didn’t think to check.  Besides the general problem of bug checking without bringing down the forum (setting up a test environment and verifying the change is probably a bigger task than just modifying the code)

Doing it the “right” way as some sort of plugin would also be a lot more work than just modifying the local copy.  For example, putting the option to enable/disable the feature.  Not sure how often this forum upgrades to newer versions

It wouldn’t be retroactive. I don’t think we have a record of deleted posts although I didn’t check that closely

That’s why I suggested a manual post count update, which might even already be in the admin/mod panel options (I saw a discussion thread where mods had the ability to change post counts and the poster wanted to disable that ability)
It make me inordinately happy that a mighty dragon is thinking about my suggestion. Mighty happy indeed.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #466 on: March 31, 2021, 01:08:34 PM »
Exactly.

Yes, I could manually change people's post counts. If they cared about an arbitrary number, and if they had reason to think X amount should be added, that would be trivial, but need to be done manually on a case-by-case basis. And then would be "wrong" again when they deleted more posts.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #467 on: March 31, 2021, 01:55:50 PM »
Exactly.

Yes, I could manually change people's post counts. If they cared about an arbitrary number, and if they had reason to think X amount should be added, that would be trivial, but need to be done manually on a case-by-case basis. And then would be "wrong" again when they deleted more posts.

Says the man who is -999 years old (and hasn’t aged a day in at least the last six years)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #468 on: March 31, 2021, 02:10:34 PM »
Shots fired!

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #469 on: March 31, 2021, 04:31:54 PM »
Exactly.

Can you make my post count -999?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #470 on: March 31, 2021, 04:59:10 PM »
I set it to -999, but it just shows 0, sooo... No.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #471 on: March 31, 2021, 05:04:06 PM »

But does this mean dragoncar's post count will continue to show 0 for their next 999 posts? ... cannot wait to find out.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #472 on: March 31, 2021, 05:08:04 PM »

But does this mean dragoncar's post count will continue to show 0 for their next 999 posts? ... cannot wait to find out.

And what if they delete posts?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #473 on: March 31, 2021, 05:12:30 PM »
Best experiment of the day!

Edit:  Dragoncar has made zero posts despite being a member since Sept 13 2012, yet he’s also started 84 threads and there’s a nice detailed histogram on his posting frequency (not very often from midnight to 4am, and also after lunch, when presumably he’s napping after eating some toasted knights.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 05:16:12 PM by nereo »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #474 on: April 01, 2021, 11:04:36 AM »

DC has 5 posts, so it looks like no. It let me put in -999 and hit save without giving an error, but apparently reset it to 0.

Found the saga in Mustachian People Problems, since he's banned from off topic until he hits 100 posts. :D

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/mustachian-people-problems-(just-for-fun)/msg2817638/#msg2817638

I'm readding his previous 9463 posts to his current number and concluding the experiment.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #475 on: April 01, 2021, 11:19:21 AM »

DC has 5 posts, so it looks like no. It let me put in -999 and hit save without giving an error, but apparently reset it to 0.

Found the saga in Mustachian People Problems, since he's banned from off topic until he hits 100 posts. :D

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/mustachian-people-problems-(just-for-fun)/msg2817638/#msg2817638

I'm readding his previous 9463 posts to his current number and concluding the experiment.
Please make sure to read each of 9,463 posts and ensure they are legitimate. We don't want post counts to be tainted.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #476 on: April 01, 2021, 11:45:43 AM »

are we sure DC didn't just make 1,004 posts in one caffeine-fueled session to get back into positive territory?
 I wouldn't put it past him...

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #477 on: April 04, 2021, 07:24:03 AM »
are we sure DC didn't just make 1,004 posts in one caffeine-fueled session to get back into positive territory?
 I wouldn't put it past him...

top post count is definitely in

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #478 on: September 17, 2021, 05:19:44 PM »
Hi.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #479 on: September 17, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »
Congrats, @RWD!!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #480 on: September 17, 2021, 06:43:00 PM »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #481 on: September 17, 2021, 09:11:33 PM »
Hi.

Unfortunately, due to maintenance budget cuts, the executive washroom is closed.  The plumbing simply cannot handle any more giant walrus dumps.  We are working on a temporary solution so please bear with us.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #482 on: September 17, 2021, 09:21:54 PM »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #483 on: September 17, 2021, 09:56:21 PM »
Hi.

Unfortunately, due to maintenance budget cuts, the executive washroom is closed.  The plumbing simply cannot handle any more giant walrus dumps.  We are working on a temporary solution so please bear with us.
Maybe when when a certain scaled one graduates, things will improve in that department.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #484 on: September 18, 2021, 10:16:52 AM »
Thanks everyone! This is by far the most posts I've had on any one forum. I think ~2000 was my previous record.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #485 on: September 19, 2021, 08:59:09 AM »
I added up my total forum posts across all forums a while back and was at like 50k.

Yikes.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #486 on: September 19, 2021, 09:10:49 AM »
I added up my total forum posts across all forums a while back and was at like 50k.

Yikes.

Assuming your average post is 20 words (this one was 19), that's about 1M words (10 novels) of content.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #487 on: September 19, 2021, 09:57:03 AM »
Some things are better off not knowing... (-:

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #488 on: September 20, 2021, 06:54:55 AM »
Some things are better off not knowing... (-:
There are worse things than being a prolific writer...

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #489 on: September 20, 2021, 08:39:26 AM »
For example, prolific vomit is much harder to get out of linens than prolific writing.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #490 on: September 20, 2021, 09:24:02 AM »
For example, prolific vomit is much harder to get out of linens than prolific writing.

Indeed.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #491 on: September 21, 2021, 04:10:23 AM »

Indeed.

As the parent of a youngster who’s both vomited on our bed and gotten ahold of a Sharpie, I refute the idea that the vomit was harder to get out of the linens.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #492 on: September 21, 2021, 07:30:43 AM »
Marty: And what happened to Stumpy Joe?
Derek: Its not very pleasant story…but uh, he died, uh he choked on uh, the official explanation was he choked on vomit…
Nigel: It was actually – it was actually someone else’s vomit.  You know there’s no real . . .
Derek: Well they can’t prove whose vomit it was.  They don’t have the ability . . . there’s no way of
Nigel: You can’t really dust for vomit . . .

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #493 on: January 06, 2022, 10:17:54 PM »
I thought 5000 posts was a lot.  I hope I don't make it until just before death :-)

Then I saw a user on a different forum with 36K posts. 
   That forum is about 10 years older than MMM
   The poster has a style best described as cryptic (not quite as much as @thorstach).

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #494 on: January 07, 2022, 07:23:38 AM »
I thought 5000 posts was a lot.  I hope I don't make it until just before death :-)

The poster has a style best described as cryptic (not quite as much as @thorstach).

So Walrus Top is In?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #495 on: January 07, 2022, 07:54:27 AM »

So Walrus Top is In?

By my calculations and at current posting rates, @thorstach will reach walrus status in… the year 2081.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #496 on: February 01, 2022, 08:54:02 PM »
Hey cool kids. S’up? Someone told me to ask about a key…

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #497 on: February 02, 2022, 07:01:03 AM »
Hey cool kids. S’up? Someone told me to ask about a key…

Welcome! Now you have access to all the "secret sub-forums"...

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #498 on: February 02, 2022, 07:49:28 AM »
They are just as awesome as you imagine

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #499 on: February 02, 2022, 08:34:43 AM »
I didn't know that there were secret levels. I also don't know how many posts I have, so let me post this and find out!

Edit: Someone's gonna have to show me the secret sub-forums, cause I missed them.