Author Topic: Who is tired of GS vs CLE?  (Read 5562 times)

billybob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Who is tired of GS vs CLE?
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:43:33 AM »
I kinda of do not want to see golden state and Cleveland in the NBA finals, who else feels this way?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Who is tired of GS vs CLE?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:40:24 PM »
Hockey semi-finals are on. Basketball?? Sorry.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »
And in international hockey, Canada beat Russia to get to the finals.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
I agree.  Very sick of GS and CLE.  Moreso GS who essentially got a free pass to the finals when Leonard went down. 

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 09:50:04 PM »
I'm just here to say. Go Cavs!!!!  Cleveland! City of Champions!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 10:26:33 PM »
Leonard has landed on/tripped over 4 feet in his last 6 games. He's the greatest two way player right now but needs to learn to better protect himself. SA has nearly the same winning record without Leonard as with so declaring his absence a free passage is hyperbole.

Basketball dynasties have existed for a long time since each individual game (let alone series) is more likely to be won by the better team than is the case in baseball or hockey. GS is perhaps the best team ever and playoff Lebron is ridiculous (except game 3 vs BOS, haha) so even if you don't like the teams, it's hard to argue you're not seeing the game played at an absurdly high level.

There have been a few great games in the playoffs, e.g. game 5 SA vs HOU (go Manu) and the SLC/LA series was good throughout, despite Griffin's annual playoff injury.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »
Leonard has landed on/tripped over 4 feet in his last 6 games. He's the greatest two way player right now but needs to learn to better protect himself. SA has nearly the same winning record without Leonard as with so declaring his absence a free passage is hyperbole.

Basketball dynasties have existed for a long time since each individual game (let alone series) is more likely to be won by the better team than is the case in baseball or hockey. GS is perhaps the best team ever and playoff Lebron is ridiculous (except game 3 vs BOS, haha) so even if you don't like the teams, it's hard to argue you're not seeing the game played at an absurdly high level.

There have been a few great games in the playoffs, e.g. game 5 SA vs HOU (go Manu) and the SLC/LA series was good throughout, despite Griffin's annual playoff injury.

Without Leonard and without Tony Parker, they never had a chance to win 4 games out of 7 against the Warriors, if that makes it any less of a hyperbole for you.

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 07:18:26 PM »
I agree.  Very sick of GS and CLE.  Moreso GS who essentially got a free pass to the finals when Leonard went down.

As opposed to the Cavs who play in the garbage east, playing Boston without IT?

I actually like Lebron alot but how he can take a team consisting of mostly top 5 picks and the highest salary in the NBA and trick people into making his team into underdogs. I halfway think he stunk on purpose against Boston just to avoid both teams going 12-0 and the championship being seen as a clash of the titans. Now that they lost one Lebron gets to go back to leading an outmatched team against the unbeatable warriors.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 01:52:01 PM »

As opposed to the Cavs who play in the garbage east, playing Boston without IT?

I actually like Lebron alot but how he can take a team consisting of mostly top 5 picks and the highest salary in the NBA and trick people into making his team into underdogs. I halfway think he stunk on purpose against Boston just to avoid both teams going 12-0 and the championship being seen as a clash of the titans. Now that they lost one Lebron gets to go back to leading an outmatched team against the unbeatable warriors.

I didn't see the Celtics taking more than 2 games from the Cavs, even with a healthy IT, so I don't quite see it the same way. 
It's not Lebron's fault no one wants to compete with him in the East.

So now that the finals are set, what is everyone thinking?  I think it is going to go 6 or 7 games, Cavs are playing great, but GS has home court.  It could go either way.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 03:25:13 PM »
As a OKC Thunder fan I am supporting Cleveland.  As a fan I am hoping for a very competitive 6 or 7 game series.  The playoffs so far have been fairly boring.

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 07:17:56 PM »
Who won

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 08:03:55 PM »
Haha, Durant is chumping them, I hate CLE.

Little Aussie Battler

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 04:09:15 AM »
GSW in 5.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »
Definitely thought this was a thread about Goldman Sachs, clicked to see who CLE was, apparently Clean Energy Corp out of Canada? Anyway, shows where my mind is... but yeah the NBA sucks. Concentration of talent is too easy - get ready to see GS vs whoever for the next 10 years.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »
So, these are the same two teams that made the finals last year, right? Just don't want to look dumb when I post on facebook.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 05:03:04 PM »
As a OKC Thunder fan I am supporting Cleveland.  As a fan I am hoping for a very competitive 6 or 7 game series.  The playoffs so far have been fairly boring.
I love Durant, I think it he is a next level talent, he could end up amongst the all time greats.  With that being said, I hate that he joined GS.
I'm also hoping for a competitive series, and I agree subpar playoff excitement so far this year.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
So, these are the same two teams that made the finals last year, right? Just don't want to look dumb when I post on facebook.
Yes, it's actually the 3rd year in a row these teams have met in the finals.

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 06:36:49 PM »
My prediction is that the refs stop the series in 3 games due to the Cavs not being able to defend themselves.

But for real though everyone knows that the NBA has always been like this right? Russel made it to 11 in 13 years Magic made it to 9 titles in 11 or 12 years Jordan got 6 out of 8. Kobe made 7 finals Lebron has 8 etc etc.

In 67 years the Lakers and celtics have combined for 52 appearances

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 12:58:33 AM »
Definitely thought this was a thread about Goldman Sachs, clicked to see who CLE was, apparently Clean Energy Corp out of Canada? Anyway, shows where my mind is... but yeah the NBA sucks. Concentration of talent is too easy - get ready to see GS vs whoever for the next 10 years.
In the long run these superteams are not economically viable given the salary cap/luxury tax system in place. So once Curry goes from having the 73rd highest NBA salary to making the cap salary (and Green perhaps eventually along with him), the team will fly apart from the associated centrifugal forces.

The reason team championships cluster historically isn't because of massive concentrations of talent but rather because of modest and persistent imbalances in talent. Over 48 minutes/game in best-of-seven series there is enough time such that upsets are not terribly common, with the slightly better team having a very good chance of winning. CLE/GS is an outlier situation that will revert to the mean due to aging stars, injuries, new talent in the form of the draft picks of weaker teams, and salary cap constraints.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 07:57:33 AM »
I love Durant, I think it he is a next level talent, he could end up amongst the all time greats.  With that being said, I hate that he joined GS.
I'm also hoping for a competitive series, and I agree subpar playoff excitement so far this year.

I definitely agree with you on Durant.  Love watching him play and how his game has improved each year.  Disappointed he left but know its his decision and he has to do what he thinks is best for himself, however, it's the fact he went to GSW after we were up 3-1 and then lost to them right before his decision. That's what I hate.

In the long run these superteams are not economically viable given the salary cap/luxury tax system in place. So once Curry goes from having the 73rd highest NBA salary to making the cap salary (and Green perhaps eventually along with him), the team will fly apart from the associated centrifugal forces.

I am not sure this will necessarily happen.  Yes Curry, Green, and even Thompson could command a max when they resign but it all comes down to their preferences and how much pressure for money they get from their agents and other outside influence.  Durant has already mentioned he would take less than the max to keep the team together. If they decide rings are more important than money then they could be winning for a while.  Similar to what Lebron, Dwyane Wayde, and Chris Bosh did with Miami.

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 10:59:03 PM »
True, GS's core might remain in tact longer than economics would otherwise imply--I guess we will see what happens.

Game 2 was much more interesting to watch. I think even if CLE gets sweeped Lebron deserves finals MVP! That cut to him on the bench with 1 minute left in Q3...he looked stupidly exhausted. I could tell he was tired when he started either laying back on offense or just chucking threes but by the time he sat down he looked physically destroyed. Also, Shumpert apparently needed an IV after the game (I think the pace was a ridiculous 119 in the first half?!).

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »

I am not sure this will necessarily happen.  Yes Curry, Green, and even Thompson could command a max when they resign but it all comes down to their preferences and how much pressure for money they get from their agents and other outside influence.  Durant has already mentioned he would take less than the max to keep the team together. If they decide rings are more important than money then they could be winning for a while.  Similar to what Lebron, Dwyane Wayde, and Chris Bosh did with Miami.

To me this question - can the superteams stay together against salary rules designed to make them fall apart - is one of the tests of a superteam in this era.  As a Spurs fan, it seems to me that San Antonio's strength has been a culture that produces a series of cost efficiencies, and resulting competitive advantages, over time.  Golden State has reached a higher peak of performance, but can they keep it? 

Also - to me it's interesting that the players have much more agency than in the past.  They themselves often make the key decisions to create a team.  In a sense, today's game expresses the athletes' character as well as physical ability on levels that never happened before.