Poll

Where do you keep your toilet plunger?

Next to the toilet
47 (59.5%)
Somewhere else in the bathroom, like in a cabinet
8 (10.1%)
Somewhere else outside of the bathroom (explain)
14 (17.7%)
I don't own a toilet plunger
10 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Where do you keep your toilet plunger?  (Read 2795 times)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Where do you keep your toilet plunger?
« on: November 22, 2021, 12:05:52 PM »
Trying to figure out if I'm the weird one or everyone else is. My family always kept the plunger directly next to the toilet for when issues occurred. I continued this habit into adulthood, because it always seemed like a no-brainer. Well, it seems like these days a lot of people don't, and I really would like to know why. Is it aesthetics? Do they just never need it? Have they replaced all their plumbing with bigger pipes like my dad eventually did? Some other reason? Please explain the reasoning behind your plunger's location, or lack thereof.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Where do you keep your toilet plunger?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 12:08:21 PM »
Next to the toilet most likely to be used by guests.  It's common courtesy for that potential visitor to avoid the awkward situation of having to ask where the plunger is.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 12:13:38 PM by v8rx7guy »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 12:12:28 PM »
Next to the toilet, where it's needed.  99.9% of the time you shouldn't need a plunger . . . but that one time, I'd prefer to get the plunging over with as quickly and shame free as possible.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 12:17:16 PM »
1) Cabinet under the bathroom sink (toilet plunger)
2) Cabinet under kitchen sink (kitchen plunger)

I keep two.  Technically, I should probably have three as I have two toilets.  V.Important to keep the two separate and never intermix!

sailinlight

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 12:19:32 PM »
Under the sink of one of the bathrooms. The vast majority of plunges needed in our house have been the kids using too much toilet paper. I've found, and told them, that in those cases it's best to quickly turn the water to the toilet off and let it soak for a while. Most of the time, a secondary flush will work and no plunger needed.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 12:30:13 PM »
Definitely in the bathroom but out of sight if possible (e.g. under the sink).

I keep two.  Technically, I should probably have three as I have two toilets.  V.Important to keep the two separate and never intermix!

How do you tell oral and rectal thermometers apart?

Spoiler: show
By how they taste.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 12:44:12 PM »
For now, it's in the hall closet outside our bathroom. Two reasons:

1) Kids. Our youngest two (but our toddler especially) have been perennially fascinated by the thing. There's no greater horror than seeing them walk out of the bathroom waving an unsheathed plunger and now knowing what they did with it in the minutes prior. Now you're probably thinking 'chemistk, why isn't your bathroom door closed?' - our oldest & his friends (when over) are horrible at remembering to close the door to the bathroom, so it's always open. It's bad enough when toys get tossed in the toilet but there's something extra-special horrifying than a dirty plunger.

2) Because of 1), normally we'd keep it under the sink with a lock but wouldn't you know it, our 1960's vanity is too small (floor of the vanity too high) to fit the plunger standing up. An accessible plunger is, currently, not worth the cost of a bathroom renovation.

In about a year, our toddler will be old enough to be instructed not to touch it and problems 1) and 2) will vanish and the plunger can go where most people have them.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 01:18:31 PM »
We keep ours in our laundry room. Our bathroom is small and aesthetically, it would be too prominent and gross-feeling if it were out next to the toilet. And our vanity is too small to keep it there.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 01:25:18 PM »
We have one that has a case type thing it sits in that closes around the flange part to keep it out of site. It lives by the toilet. If we didn’t have that, maybe u see the bathroom sink or in a closet in the bathroom, but definitely in the bathroom.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 01:39:09 PM »
For now, it's in the hall closet outside our bathroom. Two reasons:

1) Kids. Our youngest two (but our toddler especially) have been perennially fascinated by the thing. There's no greater horror than seeing them walk out of the bathroom waving an unsheathed plunger and now knowing what they did with it in the minutes prior. Now you're probably thinking 'chemistk, why isn't your bathroom door closed?' - our oldest & his friends (when over) are horrible at remembering to close the door to the bathroom, so it's always open. It's bad enough when toys get tossed in the toilet but there's something extra-special horrifying than a dirty plunger.

2) Because of 1), normally we'd keep it under the sink with a lock but wouldn't you know it, our 1960's vanity is too small (floor of the vanity too high) to fit the plunger standing up. An accessible plunger is, currently, not worth the cost of a bathroom renovation.

In about a year, our toddler will be old enough to be instructed not to touch it and problems 1) and 2) will vanish and the plunger can go where most people have them.

Can you just cut the handle shorter, so it fits under the sink?

I've always kept mine under the sink but it's probably because it's what my parents did when I was growing up. Ditto for toilet brush.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 01:50:01 PM »
I would keep mine in the vanity under the sink if it fit, but it doesn't, so it is discretely tucked behind the toilet.  "They" actually, 1 per bathroom.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 01:57:37 PM »
We keep ours in the basement. Haven’t needed to use it for the past six years since replacing the toilet and our new house’s toilet is even better. Modern flushers are vastly improved. I was quite famous for clogging most toilets, even flushing before any paper went in. American Standard Cadet 3 all the way!

Edited to add— the scrub brush sits beside the toilet.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 02:41:59 PM »
We have one that has a case type thing it sits in that closes around the flange part to keep it out of site. It lives by the toilet. If we didn’t have that, maybe u see the bathroom sink or in a closet in the bathroom, but definitely in the bathroom.

We have the same. 99% of the time when one of our toilets clog it’s the one in the 100 year old part of the house, so we keep the plunger in that bathroom (happens to be the main floor powder room).  Almost never have to plunge one of the other toilets, just that one.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 02:58:55 PM »
At the present time we keep ours in the garage in a cabinet so no kids or dog can access it. Plus, the main bathroom isn't that large so a plunger and a toilet bowl cleaner brush can't both fit. We use the toilet brush to clean a lot more than we need a plunger so it won the floor space in the bathroom.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 05:20:50 PM »
I keep mine where it belongs - in the basement.  Because it’s ugly and I’ve only used it once in 29 years, so I don’t want to look at it every day.  Why doesn’t someone design nice holders for them, like toilet brushes have?

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2021, 06:47:36 PM »
At the back of the bathroom closet in current house.  It's never been used but is accessible if ever needed.  The toilet brush is behind the toilet on one side housed inside the holder and a small trash can (cylindrical about 1 ft high with a foot pedal) is on the other side in the rear of the toilet.  The sink and vanity is to the immediate right of the toilet.  The tub is to the left of the toilet and there is a small closet with some shelves opposite the sink.

Ha, I certainly wouldn't think it's weird if people have theirs either more visible or even less accessible.  Whatever works.  It's such a rare thing (I think I used a plunger twice as a teenager at my grandparent's house and haven't since) in such a small 4'x6' space that for me to have the plunger more accessible would mean inconveniencing us with either the toilet brush & holder or the trash can being put elsewhere and there really aren't any other spaces.  My guess is pipes/toilet design are the biggest factors.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 08:58:57 AM »
Basement bathroom. Came with the house. Sits in a nice discrete holder.

One of our kids needs to quit using so much paper so having to fetch it plus the walk of shame may change their behavior in a positive fashion soon.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 10:04:17 AM »
In a closet inside the guest bathroom. I figured if someone is desperate enough, they'll search the bathroom before coming out to ask, and it's right there in front of you when you open the closet door. Sure enough, my mom needed it late at night, found it, and told me in the morning how relieved she was not to have to wake me!

Editing to add: I considered trying to find a nice holder for it, but then I decided not to waste the money (it lives in a cheap old plastic trash can in the closet), and it's easier to clean the floor around the toilet when there's less stuff to move. I don't clean the floor of the closet nearly as often.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:05:55 AM by GreenSheep »

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 11:56:46 AM »
I keep mine where it belongs - in the basement.  Because it’s ugly and I’ve only used it once in 29 years, so I don’t want to look at it every day.  Why doesn’t someone design nice holders for them, like toilet brushes have?

same.  we didn't even own a plunger for about 20 years.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2021, 12:45:34 AM »

I guess you don't subscribe to the George Carlin approach.

“I didn't wash today. I wasn't dirty. If I'm not dirty, I don't wash. Some weeks I don't have to shower at all. I just groom my three basic areas: teeth, hair, and asshole. And to save time, I use the same brush.”
― George Carlin, Brain Droppings
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/176122-i-didn-t-wash-today-i-wasn-t-dirty-if-i-m-not

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2021, 02:44:51 AM »
The toilet brush lives beside the toilet, but we don't have a plunger, and haven't needed one for at least 30 years.

I have been doing my own plumbing for around 30 years.

Coincidence?  Probably not.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2021, 04:58:54 AM »
Beside the toilet. I have no idea why anyone would feel the need to hide a plunger. Do people hide their toilet brushes? Because those are far more disgusting than plungers.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2021, 07:49:08 AM »
I don’t think it’s weird to have it by the toilet, but I keep mine in the garage.  3 toilets in the house, I don’t need 3 plungers.  Chances are I have to go get it from somewhere else anyway, so it sits by my plumbing tools.  Just make sure everyone knows how to turn off the shut off valve.

So. If you are an absolutely leave the plunger by the toilet and you have multiple bathrooms, do you keep multiple plungers? Or how do you then decide which bathroom to keep it in? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2021, 07:53:51 AM »
I don’t think it’s weird to have it by the toilet, but I keep mine in the garage.  3 toilets in the house, I don’t need 3 plungers.  Chances are I have to go get it from somewhere else anyway, so it sits by my plumbing tools.  Just make sure everyone knows how to turn off the shut off valve.

So. If you are an absolutely leave the plunger by the toilet and you have multiple bathrooms, do you keep multiple plungers? Or how do you then decide which bathroom to keep it in? 

Yeah, we had multiple plungers. Never thought not to, come to think of it.

badger1988

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2021, 08:01:31 AM »
In the basement...haven't used it in the 10 years I've lived here.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2021, 08:09:59 AM »

Yeah, we had multiple plungers. Never thought not to, come to think of it.

When I had 2 bathrooms,  each one had its own plunger and brush. They came with the house.

All of my houses just came with that stuff and I left it for the next person (plunger,  toilet brush, bucket,  broom, squeegee,  etc). I was really surprised when I moved to an apartment that they didn't leave any of it for us.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2021, 08:52:14 AM »
I might also leave my plunger out if it came with a discrete container, like the toilet brush does, or was not half as ugly.  Between how ugly it is and how infrequently it is used, I think it is well worth it to put it in the cabinet under the sink, approximately 10 inches to the right of where it would sit it if were outside the cabinet.

We also have a creepy toilet in the partially finished attic and I haven't actually put a second plunger there but if I did, I wouldn't worry about the fact that there's not a cabinet it would really fit in.  Because if you have a creepy toilet, who cares if there's an ugly plunger there, too?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2021, 11:09:38 AM »
Well, we know who doesn't live in an old house. I have plungers by each toilet, and both get used. The downstairs one is used much less because that toilet is new, so it's better about not getting clogged. Upstairs isn't terrible luckily (or I'd replace that toilet as well).

I also have the main sewer line rodded every year. Plunger use frequency increases in the months leading up to the annual cleanout.

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2021, 08:31:24 PM »
Mine is in the garage. We’ve used it once, in only one of our bathrooms, so there’s no reason to keep it out all the time gathering dust and looking ugly. In the rare occasion something starts to flood, just turn off the water behind the toilet and go find the plunger.

I don’t worry about guests. The only people who use my toilet are people who know me well enough to scream from the bathroom: “Dude, your toilet’s overflowing!”

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2021, 08:54:32 PM »
My lovely new apartment building has super efficient toilets.  My plungers are covered in dust.  I think I can move them to a more discrete location.  But all my houses, even the one built in 2000, needed the plunger once in a while.  Houses with little kids really need them, little kids love stuffing toilets with toilet paper (and other stuff).

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2021, 12:23:22 AM »
Mine is in the garage. We’ve used it once, in only one of our bathrooms, so there’s no reason to keep it out all the time gathering dust and looking ugly. In the rare occasion something starts to flood, just turn off the water behind the toilet and go find the plunger.

I don’t worry about guests. The only people who use my toilet are people who know me well enough to scream from the bathroom: “Dude, your toilet’s overflowing!”

That's good that you're cool about it. I had a bad experience when I was a teenager. I was visiting my boyfriend and panicked when the water level started rising. I bolted out of the bathroom and bodychecked his cousin in my attempt to flee (who was unprepared and went slightly flying), who was twice my size and accidentally standing between me and freedom. It became a long-standing joke.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2021, 03:55:00 AM »
The toilets flush very differently in Australia………I don't know anyone who needs to own a dunny plunger let alone have one living in the bathroom……..

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2021, 09:08:33 AM »
We keep it in the utility room. We rarely have guests and (knock on wood) we haven't had a toilet clog in the 11 years we've lived here. All of our toilets have flushmate cartridges which are fantastic for moving everything along.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2021, 05:45:38 AM »
Next to but kinda behind the toilet. You cant see it unless your actually using the toilet but would hate for someone to have to ask if we have one to use.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2021, 01:28:46 PM »
When I lived in apartments with old or poorly designed toilets: Next to the toilet.
When I'm in my own house that has a new-ish, properly designed toilet: Under the sink.

In my current house I think I've used the plunger maybe twice in the last seven years. I don't have kids so nothing winds up going in the toilet except the usual things so a modern water conserving toilet works fine to move that stuff on its way.

The toilet brush also goes under the sink along with the BR cleaning supplies. I don't mind the brush or plunger being visible it's just not an imposition to open the cabinet and grab it when I need it.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2021, 07:20:23 PM »
I have never had to use a plunger in my 50+ years of life.  So I keep mine in the garage.  Why do I even have one?  Because my brother-in-law bought it for me after he plugged my toilet and flooded an apartment below me.

BIL and his entire family (including the children) have toilet clogging issues that are just foreign to me and my siblings.  I finally started to probe and it turns out that they do flush before adding toilet paper, but that their turds have an unusually wide girth.  I don't know if that correlates to the size of their assholes or intestines, but I had no idea that different people had different shit-widths. 

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2021, 07:28:29 PM »
I have never had to use a plunger in my 50+ years of life.  So I keep mine in the garage.  Why do I even have one?  Because my brother-in-law bought it for me after he plugged my toilet and flooded an apartment below me.

BIL and his entire family (including the children) have toilet clogging issues that are just foreign to me and my siblings.  I finally started to probe and it turns out that they do flush before adding toilet paper, but that their turds have an unusually wide girth.  I don't know if that correlates to the size of their assholes or intestines, but I had no idea that different people had different shit-widths.

Do they have a poop knife?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2021, 07:50:07 PM »

Do they have a poop knife?

Holy crap!  I just laugh-cried so hard and my BIL is sitting in the next room asking what's so funny.  I sent him the link and am hoping he doesn't ask what made that subject come up because I don't want to confess that i told his story on this thread. 
Thank you for sharing...you've added years to my life with the laughs of the comments!