Author Topic: When you wish you weren't mustachian! (for laughs)  (Read 2502 times)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
When you wish you weren't mustachian! (for laughs)
« on: March 17, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »
Have you gone through any time in your life where you cursed your frugality? When the desires of *now* kicked into overdrive and made you wish you didn't care so much about your future? What made you say "why care about money later when I can care about this today?"

I bought my co-op over the summer. I had the opportunity to purchase an indoor parking spot (the seller held onto it as a perk for the future buyer) for $120ish a month, or be assigned a random outdoor parking spot for free. I of course took the free outdoor parking and was promptly told that if I changed my mind and wanted an indoor spot, I could get on the wait list, which was approximately ten years. I scoffed, because other than a bit of a shorter walk, the only perk really would be not needing to uncover my car during the snowy winter.

And as I dug my car out of 2-4 feet of snow on Tuesday/Wednesday (between the wind and the snow plow pushing snow and ice RIGHT AGAINST MY CAR, the pile easily reached halfway up my windows), I thought of that indoor spot I could have had, and how I could be nice and warm with a non-achy back if only I was willing to spend $120 a month. How could I be so stupid!?

This is for fun and full of sarcasm - I obviously don't really want the indoor spot, but damn I wished for it then. So, what have you seen/experienced that made you say "Damn my mustachian ways??"

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Re: When you wish you weren't mustachian! (for laughs)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-politics-of-dating/msg1427889/?topicseen#msg1427889

I'm waiting for my second of three trains home. It's 3:20 AM. I'm waiting away from the actual platform because it smells so bad. On top of that, I just watched a man drop his pants and unleash a long stream of urine, then walk away.

I should have taken a cab.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »
Yes, while I was waiting for roadside assistance to pickup the family car. If DW and I weren't so determined not to have a car payment we could have something brand new that presumably wouldn't break down.

Of course this was the first time the car had left us stranded since we bought it new 18 years prior... We'll fix it and drive it some more.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »
Yes, while I was waiting for roadside assistance to pickup the family car. If DW and I weren't so determined not to have a car payment we could have something brand new that presumably wouldn't break down.

Of course this was the first time the car had left us stranded since we bought it new 18 years prior... We'll fix it and drive it some more.

Heh.  You say that...but...I have a friend who had a brand new car bought back by the dealer after they couldn't fix recurring problems with it going into limp mode, and another who's had a certified pre-owned car (with warranty) at the dealer for about 6 months out of the last ~2 years he's owned it (not exaggerating, either -- one stretch was 5+ months long). We were roommates at the time and used my 10yo $6000 Mazda instead...which has been perfectly reliable for the last ~18 months. :P

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:41:44 AM »
Walking past just about any restaurant that smells good.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:03:31 AM »

Heh.  You say that...but...I have a friend who had a brand new car bought back by the dealer after they couldn't fix recurring problems with it going into limp mode, and another who's had a certified pre-owned car (with warranty) at the dealer for about 6 months out of the last ~2 years he's owned it (not exaggerating, either -- one stretch was 5+ months long). We were roommates at the time and used my 10yo $6000 Mazda instead...which has been perfectly reliable for the last ~18 months. :P

If I bought new9ish) cars from brands with those sort of problems I'd be their worse PR nightmare.

If it won't run then tear out everything that could prevent that and install new parts! (or else!) ;)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »

If I bought new9ish) cars from brands with those sort of problems I'd be their worse PR nightmare.

If it won't run then tear out everything that could prevent that and install new parts! (or else!) ;)

They actually did...the 'new' car had a new motor, new ECU...they still couldn't figure it out.  The CPO one was finally fixed, and then a few months later went in for a new transmission. It's fine now (for the moment anyway).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 10:31:26 AM »
WOW - that would require superhuman patience from my perspective. I wonder if it was something "simple" like a defective wiring harness (bad wiring terminations).

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 05:17:38 PM »
i just bought a new office chair. i've been sitting on a broken, uncomfortable wooden chair for almost 6 years! 6 YEARS!!!  It never dawned on me to buy a new one because i have been focusing so hard on not spending money so i can maximize my stache that i didn't realize it was awful until my chiropractor asked me why i was limping.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 06:27:21 PM »
i just bought a new office chair. i've been sitting on a broken, uncomfortable wooden chair for almost 6 years! 6 YEARS!!!  It never dawned on me to buy a new one because i have been focusing so hard on not spending money so i can maximize my stache that i didn't realize it was awful until my chiropractor asked me why i was limping.

Sounds familiar! I had a crappy office chair that was given to me for free, and my back always hurt after a day at work. I watched Craigslist for almost a year until I found a local guy liquidating all his office furniture from his family business (they had moved to a new, furnished suite of offices).

I got two very nice chairs for $40. He said they cost over $300 new, and I believe it.

No more sore back, and my daughter has a nice chair for her study desk.

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 09:18:52 AM »
smart! I didn't even try to look used and i should of.  I was so desperate i just went to IKEA and bought one.  $70 though, not so bad. 1000x more comfortable. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 09:36:26 AM »
Any time I have to bike home in the rain.