Author Topic: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?  (Read 265969 times)

Bardo

• Stubble
Re: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2015, 05:18:31 PM »
Super spicy tofu stir-fry.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2015, 05:49:29 PM »
I should eat more lentils.  Do you favor a certain type of them?  I hate to say it, but I am getting a little tired of chick peas.  Garbanzo fatigue?

I'm not a big fan of chickpeas, unless they are in channa masala or the crunchy-snacky-sriracha ones.

We've been taking budget bytes' pan fried falafel (using chickpea flour and Mexican pickled onions in place of regular onions)
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/12/falafel/

and turning it into amazing burger patties (they're mostly a vehicle for basil aioli but they still taste awesome).

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2015, 04:59:26 PM »
Black beans and rice, garnished with avocado and salsa.

Looking forward to trying the falafel burger recipe, that sounds great!

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #203 on: March 02, 2015, 05:34:09 PM »
Had Bob's Red Mill veggie soup for lunch - I puree it with whatever veg, usually squash, with the stick blender and put into mason jars for the week. Nice with a dollop of cream cheese or yogurt for the non-vegan version.

The same soup is available at Bulk Barn, which is where I'll get it in future, I'm just not out yet. If I wanted to go extra savings, I could buy green and yellow split peas, barley, rice and baby pasta and make it myself. Maybe I'll price that out ;)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2015, 08:21:57 PM »
Sweet potato w cinnamon, white rice, diced avocado with two eggs overeasy and a great big artichoke on the side.

That's a heck of a Lotta fiber. Ha (didn't plan it that way. Just sounded yummy for tonight)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #205 on: March 16, 2015, 06:32:31 PM »
For a work morning tea on Monday I made vegan chocolate loaf which was very popular :-)

Oooh, vegan chocolate loaf...would love to know more details!  Is there a recipe link you might share?

Don't have the recipe with me today, but I'll look it up on the weekend and post it here :-)

So it took me ages. But here it is:

VEGAN CHOCOLATE LOAF

Ingredients
•   1 1/2 cups plain flour
•   3 tablespoons cocoa
•   1 cup caster sugar
•   1 teaspoon baking powder
•   1/2 teaspoon salt
•   1 teaspoon white vinegar
•   1 teaspoon vanilla essence
•   5 tablespoons vegetable oil
•   1 cup water

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix first five dry ingredients together. Make three depressions in the dry ingredients - two small, one larger. Pour vinegar in one depression, vanilla essence in the other and the vegetable oil in third larger depression.  Pour in water, and mix well until smooth.

Transfer to a greased loaf tin, and bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes.  Cool. 

Add icing, as required.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2015, 10:52:34 AM »
Thanks so much, I'll be making that chocolate loaf this weekend!

My lunch right now is whole wheat pasta with caper marinara sauce.

a moist sack of nickels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #207 on: March 17, 2015, 07:07:44 PM »
Black Bean Burg on whole wheat and a little broccoli forest growing out of an island of hummus upon my plate. There is a little raft that is a pickle slice.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #208 on: March 17, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »
Black Bean Burg on whole wheat and a little broccoli forest growing out of an island of hummus upon my plate. There is a little raft that is a pickle slice.

This...is awesome!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »
I'm making crispy roasted chickpeas as we speak.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2015, 11:36:31 PM »
Now I really want black bean burgers!

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #211 on: March 18, 2015, 03:46:51 PM »
A super simple stir fry of cabbage, carrot, garlic and ginger with peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha, lemon juice, rice vinegar and seasame oil as a sauce.

It should not work as well it does or be nearly as creamy.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: March 18, 2015, 05:17:53 PM »
Just ate a banana.  :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2015, 09:40:49 PM »
About to tuck into a big bowl of vegan chilli. Unfortunately I put too many jalapenos in it, so I'll be crying with the heat happiness.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2015, 10:41:01 AM »
Hummus sandwich, with some local golden grape tomatoes and an orange for dessert.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »
Popcorn made on the stovetop in a blend of canola/corn/coconut oils (which is supposedly the popcorn oil blend used at theme parks like Disney to achieve a buttery flavor).

And vegan chocolate loaf thanks to HappierAtHome!!! Love it, and added chocolate chips :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2015, 06:52:25 PM »
And vegan chocolate loaf thanks to HappierAtHome!!! Love it, and added chocolate chips :)

Yay! I'm glad it turned out well :-)

-----------

This weekend I made Inner Goddess Chocolate Truffles from Pinch of Yum, and Toffee Cinnamon Cookie Bars, Almond Butter Cups and Almond Butter Balls all from Oh She Glows.

I've been eating more and more plant-based lately and feeling much healthier for it. I think my body is finally getting some nutrients it's been missing.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #217 on: April 10, 2015, 02:44:36 AM »
Having a smoothie right now, with spinach, soy milk, apples, mandarin oranges and some flax seed oil.  I baked mushrooms and sweet red bell pepper with some spices to put on my sandwiches with hummus. I will add some spinach as well.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: April 24, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »
Hey all, joined the forum last week. Just going through subforums and saw this!

Not that I normally cook with crazy stuff, but today I ended up making: Orca beans, sweet potato and onion in tomato sauce over kamut. Never done either the orca beans or kamut. Good occasional alternatives to the regular rice 'n beans.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2015, 09:41:18 AM »
If anyone is in Texas, check out HEB's new line of raw, unpasteurized sauerkraut.  The sriracha sauerkraut is awesome.  Unfortunately it quickly sold out at my local store. 

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2015, 12:40:55 PM »
One of my favorite snacks lately is firm tofu with sriracha.  I usually just eat it cold, but you can fry up the tofu also.  Maybe this is closer to vegetarian bachelor chow than a 'meal' but I can't argue with deliciousness.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »
One of my favorite snacks lately is firm tofu with sriracha.  I usually just eat it cold, but you can fry up the tofu also.  Maybe this is closer to vegetarian bachelor chow than a 'meal' but I can't argue with deliciousness.

I eat the same thing, although with the fried tofu.  It also works fine with sweet chili or plum sauce.  Tofu goes with everything!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2015, 06:38:36 PM »
Whisky and Cherry Coke.  No animal products whatsoever!

mrshudson

• Stubble
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2015, 07:58:30 PM »
Whisky and Cherry Coke.  No animal products whatsoever!

Ha! Nicely done. 

Okay, I'm actually off to fix myself an egg salad sandwich with an egg, avocado mashed together on a single slice of bread, open faced *and* delicious dark red wine to go with it.

EAL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mindful Money
« Reply #224 on: April 30, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »
Grill some jalapenos to char the skin and soften the texture. Put them in a bowl and sprinkle with lots of seasoned salt. Squeeze lots of lime over them. Delicious. If you don't like the heat, cut off the tops and scrape out the seeds first. I eat them plain but they'd probably be good in tacos or as a topping for other types of foods. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2015, 08:18:05 PM »
Just ate two slices of seed and nut loaf, toasted, with homemade almond butter (the Goblin Chief's recipe).

So, so good.

No-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #226 on: May 01, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
I'm fasting today (well, I'm having tea with stevia). Someone brought donuts and cookies to work. It's been horrible.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #227 on: May 01, 2015, 08:02:09 PM »
I had a chickpea stew for supper tonight that was very good.  I found the recipe on eatingwell.com except I left off the cilantro because I am not a fan. 

getgoing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2015, 10:03:08 AM »
Sourdough and buckwheat pancakes with plum and banana compote! Both the plums and bananas were free, so it's extra frugal.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #229 on: May 04, 2015, 10:17:53 AM »
Question for the vegans: What do you eat for breakfast that isn't all bread/carbs?

I'm trying to adopt a more vegan diet at home, but every breakfast I can come up with involves cereal, toast, bagels, etc. :/ Currently I eat a lot of eggs and baked oatmeals for breakfast.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #230 on: May 04, 2015, 10:19:17 AM »
Also, lunch for today is sweet potato & black bean enchiladas with chipotle cream sauce. Nom.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #231 on: May 04, 2015, 11:24:23 AM »
Question for the vegans: What do you eat for breakfast that isn't all bread/carbs?

I'm trying to adopt a more vegan diet at home, but every breakfast I can come up with involves cereal, toast, bagels, etc. :/ Currently I eat a lot of eggs and baked oatmeals for breakfast.

For me breakfast is normally vegetables.  I especially like beet(root), spinach and sauerkraut (especially now that one can get the latter sriracha-flavored.  Sometimes miso soup and sometimes non-vegan yogurt.  Sometimes leftover beans with hot sauce. 

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #232 on: May 04, 2015, 02:57:42 PM »
Sunflower seeds!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: May 04, 2015, 03:12:36 PM »

Nuts. Oatmeal. Superfood smoothie with berries, greens, etc.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #234 on: May 04, 2015, 08:58:56 PM »

Not actually vegan, but I make a seed and nut loaf which is (surprise!) mostly seeds, nuts, rolled oats, olive oil, a little honey... It's pretty fantastic and fairly well balanced in terms of protein, fat and carbs compared to 'normal' bread. I usually have it with homemade almond butter (also vegan) for even more good fats and protein.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #235 on: May 06, 2015, 10:17:45 AM »

I personally don't think a bread/carbs breakfast is bad for you if you stick to whole grains/complex carbs, also see:
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/19529.htm

But to answer your question (I don't really think about carbs so maybe this will not be answering your question, but these are other things than bread etc)
- Smoothies! Add greens like spinach/kale and fruit, soy/almond milk (I also add flaxseed oil for omega-3)
- Soy yoghurt with fresh fruit
- Scrambled tofu (just like scrambled eggs but cruelty free ;)). You could add some bellpepper or mushrooms or other veggies.
- Rice waffles with hummus/peanutbutter/cucumber/ytomatoes/jam/pick anything vegan
- Scrambled veggies (I like bellpepper/mushrooms/eggplant/zucchini
- Chickpea pancakes (never tried these though)
- Wraps with veggies made from lettuce instead of tortilla's
- Leftovers from the day before

Good luck! :)

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: May 06, 2015, 01:58:03 PM »

I personally don't think a bread/carbs breakfast is bad for you if you stick to whole grains/complex carbs, also see:

But to answer your question (I don't really think about carbs so maybe this will not be answering your question, but these are other things than bread etc)
- Smoothies! Add greens like spinach/kale and fruit, soy/almond milk (I also add flaxseed oil for omega-3)
- Scrambled tofu (just like scrambled eggs but cruelty free ;)). You could add some bellpepper or mushrooms or other veggies.
- Rice waffles with hummus/peanutbutter/cucumber/ytomatoes/jam/pick anything vegan

It's more that I want variety, not that I'm avoiding carbs. I just don't want to eat bread every morning for breakfast... and that's what I tend to do when I'm eating vegan.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I need to try scrambled tofu. Nom.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #237 on: May 07, 2015, 01:59:51 AM »

It's more that I want variety, not that I'm avoiding carbs. I just don't want to eat bread every morning for breakfast... and that's what I tend to do when I'm eating vegan.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I need to try scrambled tofu. Nom.

I have to say that I'm a smoothie breakfast type lately but there are so many options, also to make for lunch. I haven't tried oats yet but this also sounds and looks pretty nice (overnights oats, with berries or other fruit). Pancakes are also an option, you can make these without egg and with nondiary milk, no problem.

I would like to try this really easy recipe someday (vegan pancakes with banana and oatmeal): http://www.ellentv.com/recipes/2012/04/23/banana-and-oatmeal-pancakes/

The scrambled tofu is so good!!! I read in a cookbook that you can use Kala Namak or Himalayan Black Salt to make it more egglike (it mimics the taste of eggs?) but this is not necessary.

Good luck! I would love to hear if you tried something new (or have new options for me to try).

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: May 07, 2015, 10:35:13 AM »
I have to say that I'm a smoothie breakfast type lately

You can add avocado to a smoothie, too. Not only does it contain health fats, those fats help the absorbtion of the healty substances in the green vegetables.

EAL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mindful Money
« Reply #239 on: May 07, 2015, 02:53:12 PM »

1. I think someone already suggested a tofu scramble. You can do this and add vegan breakfast sausage, hot sauce, potatoes, onions, green peppers (whatever you like really). Throw it on an English muffin and make a breakfast sandwhich. You could also roll it up on a burrito (if you use a corn tortilla rather than flour, its masa based not really a carb at that point I don't think, my husband also makes tortillas out of tapioca flour- I haven't tried it yet). As you said no/less carbs, you could make a breakfast bowl and pre-make this and throw it in a Tupperware and have it ready the next morning. 

2. I also think someone already said smoothies, but you could also just do chopped fresh fruit in a bowl.  If you needed something extra you could add granola, honey, nut butter. 

3. Breakfast banana split.  Cut a banana as you would for a split. Add your favorite nut butter. You then add fresh berries (or frozen) granola and sprinkle with a little sugar or honey or agave. 

4.  Vegan breakfast quiche. And cut it in to portions to have each day. 

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2015, 02:07:37 AM »
I have to say that I'm a smoothie breakfast type lately

You can add avocado to a smoothie, too. Not only does it contain health fats, those fats help the absorbtion of the healty substances in the green vegetables.

Yeah, pretty good advice! I already eat a lot of avocados so I tend to not put it into the smoothies although this is pretty nice.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2015, 02:09:03 AM »
1. I think someone already suggested a tofu scramble. You can do this and add vegan breakfast sausage, hot sauce, potatoes, onions, green peppers (whatever you like really). Throw it on an English muffin and make a breakfast sandwhich. You could also roll it up on a burrito (if you use a corn tortilla rather than flour, its masa based not really a carb at that point I don't think, my husband also makes tortillas out of tapioca flour- I haven't tried it yet). As you said no/less carbs, you could make a breakfast bowl and pre-make this and throw it in a Tupperware and have it ready the next morning. 

4.  Vegan breakfast quiche. And cut it in to portions to have each day.

OMG. I want this.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #242 on: May 08, 2015, 07:14:43 AM »
I haven't read through the whole thread, but I made this Tuesday: http://www.bojongourmet.com/2013/02/curried-red-lentil-kale-and-sweet.html

Curried lentil, kale, and sweet potato soup. It used up a lot of odds and ends in the fridge (half a bunch of kale, some yogurt, half a can of tomato paste) and it was DELICIOUS. I halved the recipe, had a heaping serving for dinner and then enough leftovers for lunch for the rest of the week. Highly recommended, and pretty frugal ingredients!

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #243 on: May 08, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »

3. Breakfast banana split.  Cut a banana as you would for a split. Add your favorite nut butter. You then add fresh berries (or frozen) granola and sprinkle with a little sugar or honey or agave. 

This sounds amazing. Totally doing that next week.

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2015, 04:09:18 PM »
My S.O. just made me this: http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/tortilla-soup/ She skipped the 'shrooms because we are out, added zucchini doubled the cilantro and substituted Jalapenos for the bells because I like it spicy. It is so damn tasty!

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #245 on: May 08, 2015, 04:24:34 PM »

Not actually vegan, but I make a seed and nut loaf which is (surprise!) mostly seeds, nuts, rolled oats, olive oil, a little honey... It's pretty fantastic and fairly well balanced in terms of protein, fat and carbs compared to 'normal' bread. I usually have it with homemade almond butter (also vegan) for even more good fats and protein.

Sounds really tasty, HappeirAtHome. Would you care to share your recipe?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #246 on: May 08, 2015, 06:36:35 PM »
Twizzlers. 100% vegan. Hell, they may be free of organic material for that matter.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #247 on: May 08, 2015, 08:23:27 PM »
Miller Lite.

EDIT
Also, Jim Beam and Franzia.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:36:08 PM by Kriegsspiel II »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: May 17, 2015, 06:48:52 AM »
Tagliatelle for lunch, followed by a nice cold glass of cider.:)

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #249 on: May 18, 2015, 02:22:50 AM »
Had a self-made bbq style pizza with fresh pineapple, red bell pepper, onions yesterday. I'm having a big smoothie right now (spinach, apples, flax seed oil, banana, hemp seeds, blueberries, oats). Sandwiches (4) with avocado and tomatoes for lunch.