Author Topic: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?  (Read 265957 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2014, 01:39:42 AM »
It's always been the standard american diet. I don't handle Spicy foods very well. Pay for it for days later.

In that case, I'd start with some more 'exciting' vegetables in familiar settings - so, make yourself a sandwich with your normal ingredients (chicken? cheese? lettuce?) but add in something more exotic like avocado. Make a pizza with whatever you would normally have, but add in olives and capsicum too. This way you'll expand your range of veges without freaking out your tastebuds completely.

And budgetbytes is the best site ever for recipes - most are easy (though there are some there that are a little more difficult too). You'll find plenty with new ingredients to try.

We also have a recipe index in the 'off topic' section which could be helpful if you're looking for recipes your fellow MMMers have already tried out and loved :-)

WonderingAgain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
Excellent suggestions.

Thanks!

bonjourliz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
So, having read this thread, where would a 'newbie' start?

For the last 50+ years vegetables meant potatoes, canned green beans, corn and peas. Oh, and an occasional green salad (iceberg lettuce w/ dressing).

There are obviously so many things out there that are food but I don't have a clue.

Also, cooking for one.

Thanks
try fixing a "blue plate special" type of meal without the meat.  Baked sweet potato + green beans + cornbread.
Baked beans + broccoli slaw + corn on the cob + dinner roll. 
Mac & cheese (with veggies mixed in, if you're daring!) + salad. 

Beans can sub for ground meat in many recipes.  Chickpeas  sauteed in taco seasoning work well in tacos or burritos.  Lentils in spaghetti sauce are a great sub for meat. 

otherwise, keep things simple.  Mozzarella + sliced tomatoes + basil and a balsamic vinegarette.... delicious.  Carrots (and/or celery, red bell pepper, broccoli, etc) and pita with hummus.

if you like sandwiches - grilled cheeses can be dolled up with a variety of fancy breads and veggies/spreads added in.  mashed chickpea sandwiches are a favorite here - google chickpea of the sea.

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2014, 09:42:38 PM »
try fixing a "blue plate special" type of meal without the meat.  Baked sweet potato + green beans + cornbread.
Baked beans + broccoli slaw + corn on the cob + dinner roll. 
Mac & cheese (with veggies mixed in, if you're daring!) + salad. 

Beans can sub for ground meat in many recipes.  Chickpeas  sauteed in taco seasoning work well in tacos or burritos.  Lentils in spaghetti sauce are a great sub for meat. 

otherwise, keep things simple.  Mozzarella + sliced tomatoes + basil and a balsamic vinegarette.... delicious.  Carrots (and/or celery, red bell pepper, broccoli, etc) and pita with hummus.

if you like sandwiches - grilled cheeses can be dolled up with a variety of fancy breads and veggies/spreads added in.  mashed chickpea sandwiches are a favorite here - google chickpea of the sea.

You've completely made me hungry and I just ate.

I often use lentils + taco seasoning in place of meat for my tacos.
Mushrooms is another great replacement. Especially love baby bellas and Portabellas.
Sauteed root veggies are always a good + healthy plate filler. Zucchinis, squash, carrots, bell peppers, eggplant...

I usually have the fridge stocked with lots of veggies and fruits. My approach is just to throw it all together, whatever is available. Oh ya, with spices. Pink salt, pepper, usually an Italian blend does the trick.

And I use a lot of olive oil. Coconut oil is another popular use because it has a high burn rate. And a little goes a long way.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2014, 04:36:07 PM »
This is the season for finding creative uses for things in the CSA box.  Success! Tonight I made Spiced Kohlrabi Fritters and Spicy Cabbage Masala.  Admittedly I lacked a few ingredients...Hing?  I made tahini and lemon sauce for the fritters (no plain yogurt in the house at the moment.)  I added peas to the cabbage dish--shown in the photo but not in the ingredient list.  I also lacked a fresh tomato so I used some diced canned tomatoes in the masala.  Hey--it's all good!

http://recipes.coles.com.au/recipes/3547/spiced-kohlrabi-fritters-with-tahini-yoghurt-dressing/

http://www.madhurasrecipe.com/veg-sabzi/Spicy-Cabbage-Masala

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »

My favorite grilled cheese "secret ingredient" is cream cheese :)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »

This is the season for finding creative uses for things in the CSA box.  Success! Tonight I made Spiced Kohlrabi Fritters and Spicy Cabbage Masala.  Admittedly I lacked a few ingredients...Hing?  I made tahini and lemon sauce for the fritters (no plain yogurt in the house at the moment.)  I added peas to the cabbage dish--shown in the photo but not in the ingredient list.  I also lacked a fresh tomato so I used some diced canned tomatoes in the masala.  Hey--it's all good!

http://recipes.coles.com.au/recipes/3547/spiced-kohlrabi-fritters-with-tahini-yoghurt-dressing/

Thanks for sharing! I was told you can use garlic in place of Hing, if needed.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2014, 05:20:41 PM »

Thanks for sharing! I was told you can use garlic in place of Hing, if needed.
[/quote

The cabbage recipe already calls for five to six cloves or garlic as well as several layers of spices.  It was fine without the Hing---although I will be on the lookout for the spice the next time I am in an Asian grocery.

And you are welcome.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2014, 09:36:29 PM »
Farmer's Market, Organic Dinna'

Fried green tomatoes, fingerling potatoes sautéed with kale, heirloom cherry tomatoes, Rainier cherries, scrambled eggs. Nom Nom!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2014, 07:22:45 PM »

That sounds really good!! I have 5 or 6 kohlrabi kicking around in the fridge from my CSA box! I was going to try a recipe I found for kohlrabi potato soup, but fritters might make it on my menu too!

I just had a delicious vegan dinner of roast summer veggies and potatoes and a side salad of tomato, cucumber, onion, and basil. And now I'm having a fruit plate (banana, nectarine, kiwi) with some decaf iced coffee with almond milk for dessert. Mmmmmmmm!

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2014, 10:53:07 AM »

That sounds really good!! I have 5 or 6 kohlrabi kicking around in the fridge from my CSA box! I was going to try a recipe I found for kohlrabi potato soup, but fritters might make it on my menu too!

Kohlrabi risotto was also a hit in my house.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/health/nutrition/kohlrabi-risotto.html?_r=0

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2014, 12:26:19 PM »
Bell peppers stuffed with (leftover) potato.  Had no green onions but put in a bunch of Tony Chachere's seasoning.  Roasted some tomatoes and carrots glazed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil on the same tray...

http://www.food.com/recipe/potato-stuffed-red-bell-peppers-126311

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
I made some veganized, low-sugar, whole grain oatmeal cookies today. The kids eat them to replace the overpriced and over-processed granola bars we used to buy by the truck-load.

I make my own granola bars nowadays-the following recipe but with reduced sugar condensed milk.  Never seem to find breakfast appetizing first thing in the summer, but always have them in the desk drawer...  Recipe is quite adaptable- and can be made with a box of muesli at a pinch.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/breakfast-bars-55

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »
Snacking on some small red potatoes that I boiled for a few minutes this morning.  Plain--nothing on them.  Kind of boring?  Maybe, but they are tasty--and these days, I am trying to eat simply.

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2014, 10:44:04 AM »
Eggplant (Aubergine) Tagine

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/24/aubergine-tagine-bulgar-wheat-pilaf-lunch-recipe

I did not have ras el hanout around, so used some "Arab Spice" and amped it up with some red pepper flakes (1/2 tsp).

Used 400g can of tomatoes rather than fresh and ate with some arab bread rather than making the pilaf.

Normally, I don't like eggplant too much (texture), but I liked this after cooking on a very low simmer (Tagine style) for maybe 45 mins.  It was goooood.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2014, 11:18:21 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/24/aubergine-tagine-bulgar-wheat-pilaf-lunch-recipe

I did not have ras el hanout around, so used some "Arab Spice" and amped it up with some red pepper flakes (1/2 tsp).

I am not familiar with ras el hanout, but after Googling it looks I can use some Garam Marsala as a substitute. Thank you for sharing the recipe. This sounds delish and something quick to fix for the weekday.

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2014, 11:25:41 AM »

I am not familiar with ras el hanout, but after Googling it looks I can use some Garam Marsala as a substitute. Thank you for sharing the recipe. This sounds delish and something quick to fix for the weekday.

Not sure if that would be the same- I find arab spice a but more sweetly fragrant- but it may be very similar given history of trade between Arabia and India...

Please post on how it works out. 

I buy it ready made locally, but Arab spice blend is here:

2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

UPDATE

FYI I found this link which may shed a bit more light on the topic:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071107155156AAzLI8I
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:35:22 AM by DrJohn »

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »

Used 400g can of tomatoes rather than fresh and ate with some arab bread rather than making the pilaf.

Normally, I don't like eggplant too much (texture), but I liked this after cooking on a very low simmer (Tagine style) for maybe 45 mins.  It was goooood.

Eggplant is one of my favorite foods.  This looks wonderful!  Thank you for the link.

The first of the local corn has arrived.  I am in the process of making corn/black bean/red onion/cherry tomato/cilantro/lime salad. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2014, 03:56:39 PM »
I am in the process of making corn/black bean/red onion/cherry tomato/cilantro/lime salad.

Ooh--this sounds really really good (except I can't eat raw onions).  What kind of dressing (if any) will you use on it?

Do you use a recipe?  If so, can you share it please?  Thanks!

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2014, 04:03:11 PM »
I am in the process of making corn/black bean/red onion/cherry tomato/cilantro/lime salad.

Ooh--this sounds really really good (except I can't eat raw onions).  What kind of dressing (if any) will you use on it?

Do you use a recipe?  If so, can you share it please?  Thanks!

No recipe.  Just chop away!  I used two limes and also added some minced poblano and Hungarian wax paper to add a bit of heat.  Don't forget the salt.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »
Yum.  I don't do heat, but could maybe handle just a bit of black pepper.

Sounds light yet satisfying and refreshing!  Love cilantro!!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2014, 09:49:32 AM »
Okay question for you vegetarian/vegans here (because many of you seem to be great cooks!)-

I have an absolute TON of tomatoes, all different types, from my CSA that I need to eat this week. Any one know any good recipes to use up a ton of tomatoes? I want to eat them now, not preserve them.

To keep on topic- I'm eating coconut milk yogurt and nectarines. Drinking coffee with almond milk and agave nectar.

skellig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2014, 08:44:19 PM »
Lots of caprese salad, make salsa, and tomato sauce for veggie cabbage rolls.

If there is still a lot, I would make tomato soup and freeze half for next week.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
Okay question for you vegetarian/vegans here (because many of you seem to be great cooks!)-

I have an absolute TON of tomatoes, all different types, from my CSA that I need to eat this week. Any one know any good recipes to use up a ton of tomatoes? I want to eat them now, not preserve them.

To keep on topic- I'm eating coconut milk yogurt and nectarines. Drinking coffee with almond milk and agave nectar.

Breakfast sounded delish. Tomatoes... I usually just slice them and eat them with EVOO, S&P. or toss them in a salad. Course chop them and throw them in an frittata or a saute. I am sure you could find lots of indian dishes requiring tomatoes. Or just add them to a big bowl of pasta.

Dinner: Mushroom, Potato & Bell Pepper Frittata topped with Moz. Served with a mixed baby greens salad topped with cranberries, walnuts & peach-poppyseed dressing. And a crescent roll. Twas perfect.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »
A smoothie made in the Vitamix: three inches of English cucumber, one-half of yellow pepper, 12 grapes, one-half cup water, four ice cubes. Kind of thin and not much taste, but cool and refreshing, somewhat attractive light yellowy-green color with tiny red flakes from grape skins.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2014, 07:29:02 PM »
Smitten Kitchens Coconut limeade...so good!

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/06/limonada-de-coco/

bluebell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2014, 08:38:44 AM »
Quinoa spanakopita (basically, quinoa with spinach and feta cheese):

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2012/quinoa-spanakopita/

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
That looks really good.  Thanks for sharing that recipe!

bluebell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/skillet_gnocchi_with_chard_white_beans.html

I've messed with the recipe in many ways and they all turn out good:

Spinach instead of chard
I prefer using fresh tomatoes, but canned is fine
Omit beans or omit/ reduce mozzarella

deedeezee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2014, 06:37:48 PM »
Quinoa spanakopita (basically, quinoa with spinach and feta cheese):

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2012/quinoa-spanakopita/

This looks delicious  - I'm going to put it in the rotation ASAP.  Thanks for posting it!

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »
Made a curry thing by accident today.  Garlic and chickpeas in a pan,  added tomato paste and a ton of curry powder,  cumin,  and turmeric,  salt and pepper,  then added heavy cream until it got to a nice consistency,  and then threw in some kale until it got a bit with.  Served over a cup of cooked basmati rice.

Conjou

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2014, 08:09:47 AM »
Just read Scott Jurek's book "Eat and Run" and trying out his recipe for pizza with the nutritional yeast based 'cheese'

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2014, 09:03:37 AM »
Today's menu:

Breakfast: PB&J toast, almond milk
Lunch: fat veggie sandwich, fruit, lemon water
Dinner: no-cheese veggie pizza, iced tea

Snack as needed: nuts and dried fruit, apples, water

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2014, 09:57:18 AM »
Just read Scott Jurek's book "Eat and Run" and trying out his recipe for pizza with the nutritional yeast based 'cheese'

*Shudders* if it is edible, let me know! I have tried quite a few recipes for nutritional yeast based cheese from dehydrated slices (which weren't not bad but were definitely not cheese) to several cheese sauces claiming to be amazing and not even edible.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2014, 10:22:13 AM »

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »
I'm not vegetarian/vegan, but I have greatly reduced the amount of meat I eat and increased the amount of veggies in my diet ever since I started gardening.  I love making/eating salsa, for instance, ever since I managed to grow everything I needed for it.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2014, 05:49:38 PM »
Even my meat-atarian husband loves this.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/curried_potato_kale_galette.php

Yum--that looks really good.  Thanks for sharing the recipe!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »
I'm not vegetarian/vegan, but I have greatly reduced the amount of meat I eat and increased the amount of veggies in my diet ever since I started gardening.  I love making/eating salsa, for instance, ever since I managed to grow everything I needed for it.

I would love to be able to make homemade salsa.  Alas, I don't garden.  Maybe in my retirement years, I will do that.  Something else to look forward to.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2014, 07:32:38 AM »
Lentil and spinach burger in a bun with ketchup.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2014, 10:45:47 AM »

Sounds good!  Do you make your own burgers?  I haven't found an easy, tasty recipe yet, but love burgers and occasionally buy the vegan black bean chipotle gardenburgers.

My lunch today is Moroccan chick pea soup: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/moroccan-spiced-chickpea-soup-recipe.html

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »
Roasted vegetable & feta quiche.

Also, best veggie burger recipe: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/chipotle-sweet-potato-burgers/

^ I make those burgers almost every other week. Can't get enough.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2014, 11:42:26 PM »

Sounds good!  Do you make your own burgers?  I haven't found an easy, tasty recipe yet, but love burgers and occasionally buy the vegan black bean chipotle gardenburgers.

My lunch today is Moroccan chick pea soup: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/moroccan-spiced-chickpea-soup-recipe.html

No, it's actually store bought but I do sometimes make veggie burgers myself. I have a burger press so I probably should do it more often at home haha. That soup sounds nice.:)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2014, 05:44:20 AM »
Lentil and vegetable stew followed by an apple and a banana.

deedeezee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2014, 10:25:18 AM »
Roasted baby eggplant with lemon and garlic and a salad of avocado and fresh tomato.  Yum!

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2014, 05:40:44 PM »
My lunch today:

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2014, 10:11:33 PM »
Looks delish!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2014, 04:51:36 AM »
Lunch today will be a baked potato, homemade garlic bread, falafel and a big salad. Yum, I love baked potatoes.

Looks delish!

+1. :)

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
Been eating a vegan breakfast that I like to call Green Drank, with a banana, half an apple and mixed berries blended in.  Price tag is not very Mustachian, but it makes me feel great!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »
Chipotle sweet potato burger (thanks purplepear for the recipe link!) on a bun with greens and ketchup.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2014, 08:03:03 PM »
I just had a dinner of chick peas (soaked overnight and cooked) and steamed carrots, served over tri-colored quinoa.  Yum!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!