Author Topic: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?  (Read 265980 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?
« Reply #700 on: August 15, 2018, 07:41:37 AM »
We made some grilled portabello mushroom burgers last night with some gouda cheese melted on top and a thick slice of tomato on a bun.  They were pretty awesome.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #701 on: August 15, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »
Oooh, I really am thinking about getting an instant pot. It seems like it would be a big time saver for me, because we eat so many beans. What are your favorite things to make in it?

I use my Instant Pot almost every day.  I like to use it for soups, chili, "burrito bowls" of rice and beans, quinoa, some pasta dishes (a delicious vegan tofu bolognese), marinara sauce.  I think my favorite thing though is the crusty artisan bread!  Delicious, and my friends ask me to make it over and over and want the recipe.

I saw today that Costco carries Instant Pots, but I found a better deal on eBay.

Can I get the bread recipe? That sounds really interesting!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #702 on: August 15, 2018, 10:08:16 AM »
Oooh, I really am thinking about getting an instant pot. It seems like it would be a big time saver for me, because we eat so many beans. What are your favorite things to make in it?

I use my Instant Pot almost every day.  I like to use it for soups, chili, "burrito bowls" of rice and beans, quinoa, some pasta dishes (a delicious vegan tofu bolognese), marinara sauce.  I think my favorite thing though is the crusty artisan bread!  Delicious, and my friends ask me to make it over and over and want the recipe.

I saw today that Costco carries Instant Pots, but I found a better deal on eBay.

Can I get the bread recipe? That sounds really interesting!

I use this one as the "basic outline" recipe, since I use whatever I happen to have (or add in things like chopped jalapenos!):

https://tidbits-marci.com/instant-pot-whole-wheat-crusty-bread/

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #703 on: August 15, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »
Just made a really tasty adzuki bean and greens dish. It's really very good. http://www.eatori.com/2012/06/adzuki-beans-with-miso-and-greens.html

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #704 on: August 17, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
Tonight is Zoodles Lo Mein, with tofu instead of chicken. One of my very favorite low-cal, filling, yet mostly veggie dishes :)

https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-zoodle-lo-mein-for-two/

---------------------

Camp Mustache Toronto (Sep 21-23) is where all the cool Mustachians will be gathering for meatball parties,  karaoke in the bell tower and VolleyHockeyBall!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #705 on: August 17, 2018, 02:43:00 PM »
Breakfast of champions for two hearty eaters (or three ordinary mortals, or one very hungry hippo):

Take one can of coconut milk, mix with two cups of oatmeal, two heaping teaspoons of chocolate powder, and one large scoop of your favorite chocolate flavored protein powder.  Add in a tablespoon full of honey.  Heat and mix together over the stove on medium heat for about five minutes.  Stick into two bowls and top with grated chocolate chips and grated coconut.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #706 on: August 17, 2018, 04:35:51 PM »
Things made with canned black eyed peas.

Dixie_Amazon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #707 on: January 01, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »
Oatmeal with mixed berries and maple syrup.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #708 on: January 01, 2019, 11:51:19 AM »
Potlikker soup - leftover collard greens (these cooked without meat, which is unusual for me), leftover blackeyed peas, Rotel. With corn chips because I just can't be bothered to make cornbread today.

Dixie_Amazon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #709 on: January 07, 2019, 05:10:47 PM »
Left over cabbage and black eyed peas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #710 on: January 07, 2019, 05:36:02 PM »
We've been trying to eat less meat and dairy, more legumes and vegetables.  Tonight was chickpea tikka masala (vegan)over rice,  with homemade naan (not vegan).  It was delicious,  and I absolutely didn't miss the meat.  For me,  Indian food is all about dipping naan in sauce anyway.

I used the extra chickpeas to make a curried chickpea spread,  which is way better than I anticipated.  Chickpeas, salt, parsley,  shallot,  cucumber, curry powder,  mayo.   Not vegan, since I used regular mayo,  but that would be an easy swap. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #711 on: January 07, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »
Tempeh, yukon gold potatoes, and spaghetti squash.

YUM!!!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #712 on: January 08, 2019, 10:16:17 AM »
Seitan burritos with avocado, greens, and salsa.

Recently discovered seitan, it's delicious!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #713 on: January 08, 2019, 10:23:36 AM »
My everyday vegan lunch burrito: brown rice cooked in vegetable broth, lentils, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, cumin & Penzey's Southwest seasoning in a tortilla. I make ~15 at a time and freeze them. Not the most exciting but I don't have to think about lunch every morning!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #714 on: February 01, 2019, 07:25:54 PM »
I put a few slices of Ezekial whole grain bread in the oven with a small slice of Habanero Vermont Cheddar Cheese on top.
Once the cheese melted I then gobbed home-made guacamole on top of it - and then gobbled it up.
It was delicious.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #715 on: February 11, 2019, 05:39:21 AM »
Made a lasagna wit leftover vegan cheese sauce from the recipe from Ellen Fisher that we made to go with chili sin carne and potato wedges (weirdly good combo btw) the other day, wholegrain lasagna and red sauce with tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, bellpepper, onions and garlic and spices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_6-ptBHStQ

See inspired recipe here: https://morgansveggielife.com/vegan-chipotle-cheese-sauce/

The vegan cheese sauce was fine but I couldn't really say it was extremely delicious though. Really healthy, that's for sure, with only potatoes and vegetables etc. We didn't have jalapeno so will add that next time or some chipotle (not easy to find in the Netherlands) and/or maybe some sundried tomatoes?

Did anyone try a recipe like this before that turned out really good or have any other good recommendations?

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #716 on: February 11, 2019, 10:36:53 AM »
Today's breakfast is vegan. Kale, onion, mushroom and potato sauteed together topped with a homemade vegan Chipotle sauce (tofu, lime and canned Chipotle peppers). Best thing to ever happen to my greens intake as we probably eat it at least 4 times per week.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #717 on: February 13, 2019, 11:26:21 AM »
Made a lasagna wit leftover vegan cheese sauce from the recipe from Ellen Fisher that we made to go with chili sin carne and potato wedges (weirdly good combo btw) the other day, wholegrain lasagna and red sauce with tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, bellpepper, onions and garlic and spices.

See inspired recipe here: https://morgansveggielife.com/vegan-chipotle-cheese-sauce/

The vegan cheese sauce was fine but I couldn't really say it was extremely delicious though. Really healthy, that's for sure, with only potatoes and vegetables etc. We didn't have jalapeno so will add that next time or some chipotle (not easy to find in the Netherlands) and/or maybe some sundried tomatoes?

Did anyone try a recipe like this before that turned out really good or have any other good recommendations?

Engine 2 Sweet Potato Lasagna. My generally sweet potato hating husband DEVOURED this.

https://engine2diet.com/blog/top-engine-2-recipes-raise-the-roof-sweet-potato-lasagna/

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #718 on: February 15, 2019, 12:47:19 AM »

Engine 2 Sweet Potato Lasagna. My generally sweet potato hating husband DEVOURED this.

https://engine2diet.com/blog/top-engine-2-recipes-raise-the-roof-sweet-potato-lasagna/

That looks good!!! Thanks. Will definitely try this. Will have to see if I can get silken tofu anywhere.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #719 on: February 15, 2019, 03:49:41 PM »
Dad and I had lunch at a vegetarian restaurant. I had grilled halloumi and garbanzo salad, a bowl of lentil soup, and a scoop of vegan peppermint ice cream for dessert. Coconut milk ice cream is the BEST (super creamy and no lactose!).

diganminombre

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • retired - vegan - traveler
« Reply #720 on: February 16, 2019, 05:27:26 PM »
After a week of vegan restaurants while traveling, about to dig in to our home staple, a big pot of vegetable soup. Almost a stew, really.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #721 on: February 20, 2019, 05:05:17 PM »
After a week of vegan restaurants while traveling, about to dig in to our home staple, a big pot of vegetable soup. Almost a stew, really.

Yes I just made the same thing.

I used onions, broccoli, cubed winter squash, potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes, celery, mushrooms, mixed vegetables, and minced garlic and ginger.

It will last me a week for sure.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #722 on: February 20, 2019, 05:30:14 PM »
Just finished tasty black beans on my favorite home-made rice.

Per cup of brown rice:
1/2 tsp San Antonio chili powder
1/2 tsp smoky paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp salt
Twist of oil
2 cups water, obv; heat to boil, 30-33 min simmer, 5-8 min cool with top on. Stores well in fridge, reheats as a base for any meal.

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #723 on: February 20, 2019, 08:44:45 PM »
Just tried the beyond meat patties protein-style topped with vegan pepper cheese, avocado, tomato and grilled purple onion. Side of chipotle sweet potato fries. I was really impressed with the patties and cheese. Texture and taste are spot on. But they are a little pricey.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #724 on: February 20, 2019, 09:03:23 PM »
Green curry with snake beans from the backyard, chickpeas and broccolini.
Couscous with pistachio nuts and some spring onions.

Budgie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #725 on: February 20, 2019, 09:45:22 PM »
We had this quiche wannabe for dinner tonight:

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/impossibly-easy-vegetable-pie/569664c4-c405-4f0b-9fb6-720fd41bae39

It's not gourmet cooking but it's an easy comfort food, you can double it to make a larger pan, you can make it ahead of time--it might actually be better the second day--and you can freeze individual servings to pack for lunch.

It's easy to change the veggies or cheese to whatever you have on hand. I usually make it with broccoli and red peppers, but I've done cauliflower, mushrooms, and peas.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #726 on: February 22, 2019, 01:29:31 AM »
Just tried the beyond meat patties protein-style topped with vegan pepper cheese, avocado, tomato and grilled purple onion. Side of chipotle sweet potato fries. I was really impressed with the patties and cheese. Texture and taste are spot on. But they are a little pricey.

So It's worth trying? I just noticed they sell it in The Netherlands too at two restaurants and wanted to try it!

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #727 on: February 22, 2019, 07:56:29 AM »

So It's worth trying? I just noticed they sell it in The Netherlands too at two restaurants and wanted to try it!

That’s pretty cool they sell it in the Netherlands. Yes, I think they are worth trying. They are high in fat but found out that it is due to the coconut oil used to give it the same juiciness effect as its counterpart. Enjoy!

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #728 on: May 22, 2019, 06:26:49 PM »
A whole wheat pita pocket filled with a mix of baby arugula and mixed greens, a chopped champagne mango, about a half cup of kidney beans, a small piece of blue cheese - crumbled, in a simple home made vinegrette.  Yummmm !

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #729 on: June 08, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »
Do chocolate covered raisins count?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #730 on: June 08, 2019, 12:43:31 PM »
A fruit mix, cut up watermelon, pineapple, banana, with some fresh lemon juice squeezed on top.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #731 on: June 08, 2019, 04:16:04 PM »
homemade pea soup w/ plenty of carrots and 1/2 of a minced onion.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #732 on: June 08, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »
Supper was groundnut stew (vegan) with high-protein cinnamon blackberry muffins for dessert. Protein was TVP, but there was an egg in the batter, so the muffins aren't vegan.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #733 on: June 09, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »
Had salmon and wild rice mix and broccoli for dinner. Salmon got eaten so will have the rice and more broccoli for light lunch tomorrow. Also planned this week gnocchi with mushroom cream sauce. For lunch desserts got a tub of cottage cream and will pack that with some berries.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #734 on: June 10, 2019, 04:22:44 PM »
I made a roast with vegetables in the crock pot.  Served it over rice.  The meat was all on the bottom and I didn't manage to scoop any out.  Does this qualify as vegetarian?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #735 on: June 11, 2019, 11:31:35 AM »
Let's say someone obtained a body, then dismembered and boiled it in a large soup pot.  Does sipping on the broth count as cannibalism?

Asking for . . . a friend . . .

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #736 on: June 12, 2019, 06:42:26 AM »
I made a roast with vegetables in the crock pot.  Served it over rice.  The meat was all on the bottom and I didn't manage to scoop any out.  Does this qualify as vegetarian?

But of course! That IS an essential qualifier in this thread (the eating). And really, chicken, meat, fish, dairy, it's all basically vegetarian sourced, right?

Alas, I am not eating right now (as I'm currently typing), but will momentarily eat oatmeal with cinnamon, pecans, and fresh local peach.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #737 on: June 12, 2019, 08:18:05 AM »
I've been experimenting with more filling breakfast dishes. Today was grits cooked with soy milk and nutritional yeast and then I added some potato and red lentil soup to it. Very filling and tasty!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #738 on: June 12, 2019, 11:11:02 AM »
That sounds good YogiKitti!

I've been experimenting with time-bound intermittent fasting, basically eating all meals/calories for the day within a reduced time window, and loading up on nuts, bananas, peanut butter, pepitas, rice, butternut squash, and a delicious potato salad from "An Everlasting Meal" that someone mentioned here previously.

It can be really challenging with vegan meals to eat so much in a shorter timespan, but I keep hearing about all these amazing benefits (better energy, sleep, mental clarity, etc).

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #739 on: June 12, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
I bought this Paleo Pancake mix from Costco, vegetarian, but not vegan.

And I made some pancakes and added some almond/cashew butter on top, as well as some maple syrup.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #740 on: June 13, 2019, 05:53:49 AM »
Let's say someone obtained a body, then dismembered and boiled it in a large soup pot.  Does sipping on the broth count as cannibalism?

Asking for . . . a friend . . .

I don't know for cannibalism part, but my friend's daughter refrains from meat for environmental and animal loving reasons, but the rest of her family eat meat, and they have a limited grocery budget. Typically if it is a stew, soup or sauce that contain meat, she will pick out the meat pieces and eat the rest rather than demand a separate meal. If it's meat with veg, she just eats the veggies.

Most vegetarians would say my friend's daughter is not a vegetarian, because she is eating meat products (the stock, juice, etc).

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #741 on: June 13, 2019, 09:43:03 AM »
Most vegetarians would say my friend's daughter is not a vegetarian, because she is eating meat products (the stock, juice, etc).
I'm pescetarian (99% lacto-ovo vegetarian with occasional fish/shellfish meals). When eating at someone else's home I won't refuse food that has been cooked in a meat broth or on a pan that also cooked meat. I guess my personal ethic in that situation is to accept what's offered me, even if it's not what I would choose to eat in my own home.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #742 on: June 23, 2019, 05:20:45 PM »
from the Washington post:

Veggie-Loaded Red Curry
This vivid curry makes eating a pile of veggies taste like pure indulgence. The key to the nuanced flavor here is red curry paste, which you can use for impromptu stir-fries and noodle bowls in the weeks ahead.Find red curry paste in the international foods aisle in most grocery stores. The intensity of curry pastes can vary; this recipe calls for a mild red one. If the heat level of your store-bought curry paste is not indicated, taste before using and adjust the amount as needed.
Want to add extra protein? Stir in chopped chicken breast after cooking the onion, and heat until cooked through before adding the veggies.
Make the curry in advance or refrigerate leftovers for up to 2 days; reheat on the stove top. To reheat cooked rice, add a splash of water and reheat over medium-low heat in a covered pot until warmed and moist.
For nutritional information and easy printing and scaling, view this recipe on washingtonpost.com/recipes.
Ingredients
3 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 20 minutes.
2 tablespoons pure sesame oil
1/2 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons mild red curry paste
1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger root, grated (about 1½ teaspoons)
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1/2 small cauliflower head, cut into florets (2 cups)
8 ounces (2 cups) frozen cubed butternut squash
1 cup full-fat coconut milk (see Note)
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
One 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
2 ounces baby spinach leaves (2 cups)
1 Fresno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced (optional)
3 cups cooked white or brown long-grain rice
1 lime, cut into wedges, for serving
Steps
This recipe is about as easy as it gets. To start, heat the oil until shimmering in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, red curry paste and ginger and cook for 5 minutes until the onion has softened.
Add the red bell pepper, cauliflower, frozen butternut squash, coconut milk, broth, canned tomatoes and salt and cook, gently bubbling at the edges, for 13 minutes. Add the spinach and Fresno pepper, if using, and cook for 2 minutes. Taste, and add more salt to make the flavors pop, as needed.
And that’s … it. You’re done. Really! Serve warm over rice, with a few squeezes of lime.
Note: Thoroughly stir the coconut milk before using, to re-incorporate its fat. You’ll also use most of the remaining coconut milk from a 15-ounce can in the Green Chile Mac recipe.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #743 on: September 02, 2019, 02:47:46 AM »
I was looking for an easy creamy sauce recipe to put on top of oven dishes for awhile and recently tried this one that I thought was really good. It's good on potato dishes, but tried it yesterday on a lasagna as well and that was also good. I do spice it up a bit more and added some nutrional yeast the last time. Another time i sprinkled vegan cheese and pine nuts on top. The pine nuts made it a bit crispy.

https://www.contentednesscooking.com/vegan-potato-casserole/

And I really want to try this sauce / these recipes as well:

https://www.contentednesscooking.com/moussaka/

https://www.contentednesscooking.com/vegan-bobotie/

https://www.contentednesscooking.com/vegan-cheese-sauce/

https://www.contentednesscooking.com/southwest-potato-casserole/

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #744 on: September 02, 2019, 09:54:07 AM »
@DavidAnnArbor that veg curry looks delicious.  I'll have to try that one soon.

I just made this lentil salad yesterday and it's yummy: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/french-lentil-salad-with-goat-cheese-and-walnuts-from-my-paris-kitchen.html

I used good quality small green lentils but they weren't lentils du Puy.  Also, used feta cheese rather than goat cheese.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #745 on: September 04, 2019, 04:09:38 AM »

That’s pretty cool they sell it in the Netherlands. Yes, I think they are worth trying. They are high in fat but found out that it is due to the coconut oil used to give it the same juiciness effect as its counterpart. Enjoy!

I had it several times since this post! They even sell it in more restaurants now and in a big supermarket chain all over the Netherlands. It's expensive but better than eating out. We've bought it a few times.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #746 on: October 18, 2019, 10:39:01 AM »
It's not even healthy but I just had a fried eggplant sandwich.  It was delicious. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #747 on: October 18, 2019, 03:05:05 PM »

I had it several times since this post! They even sell it in more restaurants now and in a big supermarket chain all over the Netherlands. It's expensive but better than eating out. We've bought it a few times.

HOW do they make those Beyond burgers so tasty? They're amazing when I have a burger craving but want to take a break from red meat. Even my largely carnivorous husband likes them and they don't upset his stomach like some of the bean burgers do.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #748 on: October 18, 2019, 09:35:20 PM »
My goodness, I haven't seen this thread before but I want in. We're not vegetarians by any means but I wish we ate less meat... just hard to get my family to like meatless recipes. And they hate it when I try to use quorn, or seitan, or anything except for mooing cow. Posting for ideas.

We had spaghetti with red sauce tonight, that's vegetarian!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #749 on: October 19, 2019, 07:03:09 AM »
My goodness, I haven't seen this thread before but I want in. We're not vegetarians by any means but I wish we ate less meat... just hard to get my family to like meatless recipes. And they hate it when I try to use quorn, or seitan, or anything except for mooing cow. Posting for ideas.

We had spaghetti with red sauce tonight, that's vegetarian!

I would skip the meat substitutes and just stick with naturally meatless dishes. Omelette or quiche with vegetables, meatless chili with beans, various veggie and legume soups and curries, refried beans cooked with taco seasonings as a taco filling or nacho topping, homemade macaroni and cheese...