Author Topic: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?  (Read 265955 times)

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
Re: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?
« Reply #450 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:36 PM »
Dinner of green beans, pan fried with garlic in coconut oil.  Also leftover mashed sweet potatoes with coconut oil, salt, cinnamon.  I had a lot of protein earlier today so didn't have much this meal.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #451 on: January 14, 2017, 04:22:07 PM »
Mashed cauliflower and potatoes with olive oil, freshly ground pepper, and salt, spread on toasted home made slow rise whole wheat bread, with sweet pickle slices.

SEAKSR

• Stubble
  • Great day for water landings!
« Reply #452 on: January 17, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »
I just finished eating raw carrots and Yumm Sauce! Oh I miss my Cafe Yumm....

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #453 on: January 17, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »

What is Yumm Sauce??

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #454 on: January 17, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »

What is Yumm Sauce??

http://www.cafeyumm.com/

SEAKSR

• Stubble
« Reply #455 on: January 18, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »

What is Yumm Sauce??

Now that I'm aproximately 2000 miles away from the nearest Cafe Yumm, I've been trying to re-create the Yumm factor. I started with this recipe: http://talesofanamazonwoman.blogspot.com/2013/04/homemade-yumm-sauce.html,

But for my tastes it has too much acid, so we cut the lemon juice in half, and doubled the garlic and added extra water. Really good hint is to pulverize the Almonds before hand to the best of your ability, or the sauce stays extra chunky. Occasionally we'll blend in an Avocado for extra creaminess.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #456 on: January 18, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »
Just had roasted veg - cabbage, white potato and sweet potato, mixed with seared tofu. Seasoned with olive oil, iodized salt, Nu Salt, oregano and black pepper.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #457 on: January 18, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »

What is Yumm Sauce??

Now that I'm aproximately 2000 miles away from the nearest Cafe Yumm, I've been trying to re-create the Yumm factor. I started with this recipe: http://talesofanamazonwoman.blogspot.com/2013/04/homemade-yumm-sauce.html,

But for my tastes it has too much acid, so we cut the lemon juice in half, and doubled the garlic and added extra water. Really good hint is to pulverize the Almonds before hand to the best of your ability, or the sauce stays extra chunky. Occasionally we'll blend in an Avocado for extra creaminess.

Thanks!  Looks great!

Fortunately, I will be in Seattle next month, and might treat myself to the Cafe Yumm there!

Just had roasted veg - cabbage, white potato and sweet potato, mixed with seared tofu. Seasoned with olive oil, iodized salt, Nu Salt, oregano and black pepper.

This sounds delicious.

Right now I am eating steamed sweet potatoes and steamed carrots.  No seasonings.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #458 on: January 18, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
PB&J.

SEAKSR

• Stubble
« Reply #459 on: January 18, 2017, 01:55:59 PM »
Thanks!  Looks great!

Fortunately, I will be in Seattle next month, and might treat myself to the Cafe Yumm there!

I'm jealous!!! Enjoy!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #460 on: January 19, 2017, 06:04:52 PM »
A larger-than-it-should-be serve of red seedless grapes. Delicious!

This thread always makes me hungry :-P

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #461 on: January 19, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »
i'm making hummus from scratch. i started with dried garbanzos that were soaked for a long time, then drained, and cooked slowly until tender. then combined that with tahini, lemon, garlic, salt, black pepper, cumin.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #462 on: January 20, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »
Smoothie! After indulging just a bit too much at the christmas markets in December, I decided to declare January and February soups and smoothies months (smoothies for breakfast, soups for lunch). So far, I'm really glad I did. I do normally try to buy mostly local and there isn't much apart from apples around so to facilitate smoothie-making, I've resorted to frozen fruit. Sometimes you have to choose your battles. And much as I'd like to like green smoothies, I just don't.

I made a fabulous vegetable soup at the weekend as well, used loads more spices than I normally would and it worked out really well. Think I'll do spicy carrot and lentil soup this weekend, I haven't had that for ages.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #463 on: January 20, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »
Peas and brown rice, with black pepper and a few dashes of Bragg's Liquid Aminos (a healthier (?) version of soy sauce).  Yum.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #464 on: January 20, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »
I had some vegetarian enchiladas which were pretty awesome for lunch today (cottage cheese, garbanzo beans, spinach, garlic, onions in the enchiladas with a couple dollops of greek yogurt and melted cheese on top.)

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #465 on: January 20, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »
WAY too much peanut butter. I may be stress eating.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #466 on: January 23, 2017, 07:16:06 AM »
I guess nothing at the moment, but last night, I made falafel burgers. Despite making falafel for several years now, I hadn't made them as burgers yet. Usually I just shape into balls or small patties to stick in pita bread.

It was my first time baking them instead of frying. I was nervous that they would suck, but they actually were pretty good. I defrosted my dough, turned on the oven to 450F, and stuck my lightly oiled cast iron skillet in there to preheat. I shaped the dough into patties and put them into the hot skillet. I put the skillet on the bottom rack and let go for 15 minutes. I then turned them and cooked them for another 5 minutes. The perfect browning on them - looked so much better than all the pics I had seen online of baked falafel (one of the reasons I didn't have hopes too high). I put the burgers on torta rolls with tzatziki, fresh spinach, red onion, and harissa. I was afraid the burger might have dried out, but omg absolutely not. It was moist and delicious. Husband and kid approved, they definitely want them again.

Tonight is another vegetarian dish - colcannon. To keep going, pretty sure both Tuesday and Wednesday are chana masala. Thursday I have no idea, but Friday is veggie pizza from Costco food court. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #467 on: January 23, 2017, 07:20:03 AM »
Recipe for your falafel burgers, please?  Thx.

Ben Hogan

• Stubble
« Reply #468 on: January 23, 2017, 07:33:21 AM »
Stirfry with mushroom and celery.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #469 on: January 23, 2017, 07:57:26 AM »

A few years ago, I came upon this recipe for falafel - http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2011/01/falafel/

It is a good base to start with and learn from. Over time, I added flour to help bind and a leavening agent, usually baking powder. I use about twice as much of the spices as she suggests, but I like the strong flavors. IME, the dough should be very wet. You can just shape balls or patties with it. You may wonder how it will hold together in oil or survive being flipped, but somehow it does, and it makes for very moist and fluffy falafel.

Most important thing is to not cut corners and used canned or otherwise cooked chickpeas. The flavor is just miles off. You can freeze part of a large batch of soaked chickpeas for later if you want to. Falafel dough and cooked balls/patties freeze and reheat really well themselves.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #470 on: March 13, 2017, 01:53:28 PM »
Homemade polenta and baked beans with a cup of tea. 

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #471 on: March 17, 2017, 05:28:40 PM »
Tofu with some miso, olive oil, a few olives, a little pinch of thai chili

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #472 on: March 20, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »
Lunch is moroccan chick pea soup, hummus, pita, apple, and a yummy brownie (vegan w/ black beans as binder) for dessert.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #473 on: March 20, 2017, 02:32:32 PM »
 I just finished off a surprisingly good high protein vegetable soup made from three storebrand cans -  one vegetarian vegetable, one mixed veggies with no salt added, and one can of chickpeas with no salt added. I dump them all in a casserole, added garlic, curry powder,  and black pepper until it tasted good, and had several days worth of veggie-packed lunches for virtually no effort and very little cost.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #474 on: March 20, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »
Spanish chickpeas and rice for lunch!

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/06/spanish-chickpeas-and-rice/

This is one of my go-to meals because IT'S SO EASY.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #475 on: March 21, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
Spanish chickpeas and rice for lunch!

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/06/spanish-chickpeas-and-rice/

This is one of my go-to meals because IT'S SO EASY.

Thanks for posting the recipe link, that sounds delicious!

Lunch today is an avocado wrap.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: March 21, 2017, 03:28:05 PM »
I guess I had a vegetarian day, mostly because of a lack of food around the house.  Mandarin Oranges for breakfast.  A PB&J sandwich for lunch at work.  Now I just finished a cheese and mustard sandwich as my dinner.

I really need to get to the grocery store soon...  :-)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #477 on: March 21, 2017, 03:59:29 PM »
green lentil dal & jasmine rice.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #478 on: March 21, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »
Some red wine

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #479 on: March 21, 2017, 06:01:41 PM »
Some red wine

Nice!

I am going for some Riesling. Then making tofu bibimbap cuz its use-up-fridge-ingredients night.

VeggieGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #480 on: March 21, 2017, 10:21:52 PM »
Black bean seitan chili with a handful of chocolate chips thrown in at the end of the cooking time. :-)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #481 on: March 22, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »
 Is Bailey's Irish cream vegan? If not, my current choice is merely vegetarian.

VeggieGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #482 on: March 26, 2017, 09:55:28 AM »

Baileys released a vegan Irish cream last year, made with almond milk. I haven't tried it yet though.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #483 on: March 27, 2017, 08:07:47 PM »

Baileys released a vegan Irish cream last year, made with almond milk. I haven't tried it yet though.

Oh, now that sounds good! Expensive but good...

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #484 on: June 21, 2017, 03:26:52 AM »
Last couple of days of the month and I'm really trying to not shop too much and just use up what I have on hand. I have so much stuff on hand but tend to not feel any urgency about using it unless it's fresh stuff. But even tins and boxes do go off eventually (although I'm not at all precious abut dates and will eat lots of things years after the box tells me I shouldn't). So last night I had courgette and carrots to use up but having had stir-fry type dinners the previous two nights, didn't really want to do that and it's too hot to have the oven on. Couldn't find a tin of kidney beans (I am sure I still have two) to make the old reliable kidney bean, carrot and cuming burgers and decided to see if it would work just as wel with butter beans and courgette. Subbed Italian seasonings for the cumin and added a red onion. And half of the feta I still had in the fridge, too. And then a couple of dried tomatoes chopped up small. They were quite soggy though, so then I added some ground almonds. They were so tasty. Think I'll have sauteed carrots and onions this evening, one of my favourite things.
It's funny to read back over old threads sometimes (I find this one good for inspiration when I don't know what to cook) - I have no memory of this whatsoever but it sounds delicious. May need to make it again soon. :)

For today, I have a lentil salad with me. I've gotten more and more fond of eating lentils over the last few years but for some reason it never clicked that they can be a cold, summertime food as well. Had a taste of a really good lentil salad at a potluck type dinner a few months ago and decided I had to give it a go. Cooked and cooled lentils on Monday evening and made up two servings, both with tomatoes, scallion tops, and mozzarella. Then I made a pomengranate, olive oil, red wine vinegar dressing for the first one. Had that yesterday and it was really good, although the dressing should go more towards 1:2:1 than the 1:3:0.5 I used, I think. Today's portion has a lemon juice and zest, olive oil, red wine vinegar dressing. Forgot to add the garlic that I made sure to buy for it but oh well.

A few years ago, I came upon this recipe for falafel - http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2011/01/falafel/

It is a good base to start with and learn from. Over time, I added flour to help bind and a leavening agent, usually baking powder. I use about twice as much of the spices as she suggests, but I like the strong flavors. IME, the dough should be very wet. You can just shape balls or patties with it. You may wonder how it will hold together in oil or survive being flipped, but somehow it does, and it makes for very moist and fluffy falafel.

Most important thing is to not cut corners and used canned or otherwise cooked chickpeas. The flavor is just miles off. You can freeze part of a large batch of soaked chickpeas for later if you want to. Falafel dough and cooked balls/patties freeze and reheat really well themselves.
Thanks for that recipe. I've been on a bit of a falafel kick recently as lots of new restaurants have opened up near me. Definitely need to try making them on my own, too.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #485 on: June 22, 2017, 10:56:16 AM »
Vegan eggplant meatballs, http://www.skinnytaste.com/vegan-eggplant-meatballs/, surprisingly tasty!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #486 on: June 22, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
I'm in eat down the fridge/freezer mode right now, so I improvised a soup recipe for lunch today. I added 1/2 lb of tofu, onion, carrots, green pepper and frozen corn to some vegetable stock and threw in a little cumin and chili powder. Not bad and it's helping me get through all the tofu I have in the freezer.

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #487 on: June 23, 2017, 07:12:55 AM »
Also doing this ^^^

Mixed together some chickpeas, tomatoes, rice, broc and seasonings. Pretty good and filling (which is the important part).

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #488 on: June 23, 2017, 10:23:57 AM »
Green beans and pasta sauteed in tomato and fresh basil.  It's a good way to turn garden produce into a full meal.  It would have been vegan if I had left the parmesan out at the end. 

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #489 on: June 23, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »
Last night's dinner was pitas with hummus (homemade), chopped-up tomatoes/cucumbers/carrots, and feta cheese.

Tonight will be pierogies. Not as healthy but yummm.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #490 on: June 24, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
Avocado toast! Mmmmm. (as a bonus it's also much healthier than me chowing down on a bowl of guac with a bag of chips...not that I would ever do that...)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #491 on: June 24, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »
Avocado toast! Mmmmm. (as a bonus it's also much healthier than me chowing down on a bowl of guac with a bag of chips...not that I would ever do that...)

Try hemp hearts on avocado toast. So delish. I bet a dash of paprika or chili powder would be good too.
Would blue corn chips be considered healthier? ;) I'm a sucker for chips & guac.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #492 on: June 24, 2017, 02:32:11 PM »
I'm not sure any chips can really be considered healthy... well not in the quantity I eat them in at least :) I put salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper flakes on the avocado - such a good combo, and use Ezekial toast as the base. I'll have to try the hemp hearts, thanks for the tip!

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #493 on: June 24, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
tofu scramble with lots of veggies, beans, salsa, and avocado on a wrap.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #494 on: June 24, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »
Just finished making some cous cous with courgette and tomatoe to bring to a potluck lunch tomorrow. I'm underwhelmed. I cooked the courgette and tomato with some garlic and onion. Still have a couple more tomatoes to add raw with some feta and then was going to add the lemon and olive oil dressing. I don't think it'll make it any better. Actually, since the cous cous will undoubtedly soak up the dressing, it may make it worse. Oh well. At least the lentil salad I brought along today went down well - can't win 'em all.

But, does anyone have any hints for good cous cous? It's my first time ever making it and I chose it because it's so simple and wouldn't involve cooking. Just covered it with double the volume of hot water, as per the instructions, then fluffed it up with a fork.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #495 on: June 25, 2017, 06:22:24 PM »
I think you add some kind of dried fruit to it. Maybe a bit of mint. Some vinegar, some olive oil. Black pepper. Some chopped onion.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #496 on: June 25, 2017, 08:42:45 PM »
Today? 

Snacking intermittently on hardboiled eggs with salt, frozen strawberries (it's hot AF where I am), seaweed snack sheets, and applesauce.  It got cool enough I could pop some multi-colored carrots in the oven to roast, and I'll put dill and tzatziki sauce on them they're done, probably with some green salad.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #497 on: June 26, 2017, 05:35:04 AM »
Just finished making some cous cous with courgette and tomatoe to bring to a potluck lunch tomorrow. I'm underwhelmed. I cooked the courgette and tomato with some garlic and onion. Still have a couple more tomatoes to add raw with some feta and then was going to add the lemon and olive oil dressing. I don't think it'll make it any better. Actually, since the cous cous will undoubtedly soak up the dressing, it may make it worse. Oh well. At least the lentil salad I brought along today went down well - can't win 'em all.

But, does anyone have any hints for good cous cous? It's my first time ever making it and I chose it because it's so simple and wouldn't involve cooking. Just covered it with double the volume of hot water, as per the instructions, then fluffed it up with a fork.
It seems the trick to cous cous might be to always check the package instructions. I followed the instructions in the recipe I had, which said to use twice as much water by volume. When I looked at the package to double-check, it said to use 250ml for 250g cous cous, by volume that's about 1:1. No wonder it tasted a bit watery. Thankfully, it improved somewhat with the addition of the rest of the tomatoes, the cheese and the lovely lemony dressing I made. And mostly, presumably, by being left overnight. Still, enough people were hungry enough that most of it was eaten and there was just one portion left over, which I'm about to eat for lunch.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #498 on: June 26, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »

Be careful. I've read avocado toast is the first step to bankruptcy.

For dinner yesterday I improved again. I had a can of spicy pinto beans, so combined that with sauteed peppers, onions, garlic and corn. Added jasmine rice. DH even liked it.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #499 on: June 26, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »
A smoothie after working out at the gym.

Banana, a cooked beet, frozen cherries, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, frozen pineapple, and fresh squeezed lemon