Author Topic: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?  (Read 266420 times)

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?
« Reply #801 on: April 23, 2020, 02:34:15 PM »
Yesterday I made the red lentil and zucchini fritters from the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen but paired it with a moong dal & carrot salad that I got from here and some avocado. The flavour combo was superb and good textural contrast. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/zucchini-lentil-fritters-with-lemony-yogurt

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #802 on: June 11, 2020, 08:22:27 AM »
Looking forward to making this soon:
https://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-khichdi-rice-lentil-porridge/

Going to an indian grocer this weekend to stock up on all kinds of lentils, chickpeas, and spices.

Lately I have been eating a lot of lentils. Greek Lentil Salad (vegetarian) and lately just 1c cooked lentils tossed in some herbs, spices, EVOO and a tbsp or so of acid (balsamic, lemon, whatever). It's good, filling, but not super exciting.

I think I'm going to be transitioning to WFPB... I don't want to waste what I've already bought, so there is a steak, a few burgers, chicken tenderloins, and red sauce with meat that will need to be used up from my pantry/freezer.

My biggest stressor/anxiety about this is cooking for my SO. He's on board with WFPB but I really don't want him to get bored with the cooking. He's really into the meat alternatives, so I guess we'll be buying a lot of Beyond/Impossible/Quorn* products for now.

*vegetarian, not vegan, apparently.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #803 on: June 11, 2020, 12:30:20 PM »
I made chickpea shawarma bowls for lunch

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #804 on: June 11, 2020, 01:37:09 PM »
For lunch I baked a sweet potato and a regular potato, then chopped them and stirred fried them in a cast iron skillet with broccoli greens from my garden.  Freaking delicious.  (It's also good with crumbled goat cheese or feta on top).  The broccoli leaves took on a lovely crispiness in the skillet, and I had an "aha" moment that they would make perfect chips if oiled, baked, and salted.  Equal to or better than the best kale chips I've made.  I'm going to try it soon. 

DH made a batch of gazpacho yesterday that was really good too.  We used our own cukes and onions from the garden.  When the peppers and tomatoes are ready it'll be all home grown.  Mmmmmm.  Liquid summer.   

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #805 on: June 11, 2020, 07:17:10 PM »
I made this sheet pan barbecue tofu for dinner:

https://www.thekitchn.com/sheet-pan-bbq-tofu-recipe-256176

I put some broccoli and two gold potatoes (cut into pieces) on the sheet as well and roasted everything together.

I made TJ’s brown rice medley on the side too, just to bulk up the meal. It’s a combination of brown rice, black barley, and daikon radish seeds. Great combo both flavor and texture wise!

SO said it was in his top 3 favorite meals too, which is awesome!

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #806 on: June 12, 2020, 01:18:32 AM »
I’ve been enjoying the “fake” foods:  Gardein chick’n, Beyond burgers and sausages, oat milk, Impossible Whopper at BK, Just Egg, etc. It’s a great time to be vegan!

The only thing I’ve struggled with is finding an acceptable cheese substitute. I’ve tried many and have pretty much given up at this point.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #807 on: June 12, 2020, 01:48:20 AM »
These days at work I've not had the attention span to do much re preparing lunch, and am trying to use up dried goods before leaving town for a month. So I make a good portion of coconut rice (just rice with coconut milk and a bit of salt) Sun night and bring to work Monday. During the week I'll throw on fresh veggies or curries. This week it's been mostly a couple handfuls of Frontier Naturals' dehydrated veg to use them up, for a coconut rice and veg soup.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #808 on: June 12, 2020, 02:31:42 AM »
We've moved tofu, veg, noodle stir-fry with peanut sauce into the regular dinner rotation.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?
« Reply #809 on: June 14, 2020, 08:11:52 PM »

Excuse the messy kitchen counter!

I’m cooking Khichidi with the moong dal and jasmine rice now for lunches this week. I spent $65 and got about 30lbs of food. No complaints!

I’ll probably make a pilaf-ish dish in the instant pot by putting brown rice, brown lentils, and barley in the IP and letting it do it’s thing.

I split the spices (the bulk of the cost) with my mom and brother, so they could cook too! It was a good excuse to see them again and I enjoy sharing! I gave the chickpea snacks to my mom and roti to my brother, too.

Edit/update: I made the khichidi and YUM. 1c rice, .5c yellow split dal, oil/ghee, spices, and 6c water. It made a TON of food and was delicious! I went with canola oil to keep it vegan and it was so good!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:36:13 PM by lexde »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #810 on: July 31, 2020, 11:29:21 AM »
I made fried chick’n (seitan) for dinner last night and yum!

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #811 on: March 19, 2021, 03:36:20 PM »
Ohh that fried chick'n looks yummy!

I just tried this vegan mozzarella recipe for a quick pizza night, and was really impressed! The texture and mild taste were great. I mean it's not real cheese but as a component of a dish it was fabulous.

https://www.noracooks.com/easy-stretchy-vegan-mozzarella-cheese/

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #812 on: March 19, 2021, 10:18:39 PM »

Recipe, please @lexde  (regular seitan consumer here, looking for new ways to consume it).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #813 on: March 20, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »
Ah, I wish I could eat seitan (celiac disease). That chick’n looks great!

I just finished a bowl of leftovers from last night’s successful improvised dinner: homemade red sauce (i.e., spaghetti sauce) with lentils, served over pasta. The dish itself is vegan, but I am not and topped my bowl with a bit of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #814 on: March 20, 2021, 12:38:25 PM »
I’ve been enjoying the “fake” foods:  Gardein chick’n, Beyond burgers and sausages, oat milk, Impossible Whopper at BK, Just Egg, etc. It’s a great time to be vegan!

The only thing I’ve struggled with is finding an acceptable cheese substitute. I’ve tried many and have pretty much given up at this point.

I haven’t tried the vegan cheeses alone or on something like pizza, but the ones I’ve had at the local vegan burger joint are pretty decent on a sandwich. I think they use Daiya slices, and my dairy-allergic friend also swears by that brand.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #815 on: March 20, 2021, 06:28:35 PM »
Whole orange muffins, that taste like delicious marmalade. This recipe https://tallshortandtiny.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/whole-orange-muffins/ but with 1 part wholemeal flour to 2 parts plain, and also half a cup of raisins which is in the original recipe book.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #816 on: March 24, 2021, 10:50:18 AM »
Bean enchiladas are always a good vegan/veg option.

Ah, I wish I could eat seitan (celiac disease). That chick’n looks great!

I just finished a bowl of leftovers from last night’s successful improvised dinner: homemade red sauce (i.e., spaghetti sauce) with lentils, served over pasta. The dish itself is vegan, but I am not and topped my bowl with a bit of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Have you tried the Quorn fake chick'n.  It's actually made from a type of fungus, but it's pretty good. 

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #817 on: March 25, 2021, 07:28:39 PM »

Recipe, please @lexde  (regular seitan consumer here, looking for new ways to consume it).
https://www.sixvegansisters.com/2018/08/24/seitan-fried-chicken/

Relatively easy, so yummy. I have baked them, but they’re much better fried (at least shallow-fried). The flour coating doesn’t really work in the oven. It stays floury.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #818 on: March 26, 2021, 10:02:16 AM »
I just discovered baked tofu. OMG!!! So delicious. No need to overpay for the little packages at the store when it's so easy to make a couple pounds at home.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #819 on: March 26, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »
I just discovered baked tofu. OMG!!! So delicious. No need to overpay for the little packages at the store when it's so easy to make a couple pounds at home.
Another secret: coat cubed tofu in potato starch and pan fry. So crispy and delicious. Even better than cornstarch. :-)
If you toss it in sauce while hot, it glazes. Yum.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #820 on: March 26, 2021, 10:55:46 AM »
Another secret: coat cubed tofu in potato starch and pan fry. So crispy and delicious. Even better than cornstarch. :-)
If you toss it in sauce while hot, it glazes. Yum.
Yum! Thanks for the tips.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #821 on: March 26, 2021, 04:16:41 PM »
This is taking the pan-fried tofu and then coating it in an amazing sauce. Brilliant with rice and braised eggplant
https://thekoreanvegan.com/spicy-crunchy-garlic-tofu-kkampoong-tofu/
https://www.marionskitchen.com/spicy-miso-braised-eggplant/

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #822 on: April 10, 2021, 11:30:20 AM »
Crispy tostadas, spread with canned refried beans, a smattering of Chili Garlic sauce, and creamy sliced avocado.  Pure bliss!  The Chili Garlic sauce is what brings it to perfection!  Make each one just as you are about to eat it to preserve the crispness of the tostadas.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #823 on: April 10, 2021, 12:01:23 PM »
I finally bought myself a food processor recently, and have been making hummus. I forgot how great it is.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #824 on: April 10, 2021, 02:55:05 PM »
Lazy eggplant parmigiana - grilled sliced eggplant, put it in the bottom of a baking dish, chopped spinach and mushroom, then a cup of cottage cheese blended with a bottle of passata, sprinkle of parmesan. Bake until it smells good.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #825 on: April 10, 2021, 08:47:44 PM »
Rice pudding (cooked sushi rice, cinnamon, nutmeg,  dessicated coconut and milk) with vanilla poached quinces.

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #826 on: April 16, 2021, 04:46:58 PM »

Take a look at these recipe books: Miyoko Schinner's Artisan Vegan Cheese & The Gentle Chef's Non-Diary Evolution Cookbook if you are missing dairy cheese. I'm culturing a batch of rejuvelac right now for making one of Miyoko's recipes. Miyoko gives options of you are looking to go oil-free. I also like these super easy "cheese ball" recipes, they are great for spreading on crackers and I've had many meat/dairy eaters approve them: (https://www.myvegancookbook.com/recipes/recipe.php?id=3 or https://www.myvegancookbook.com/recipes/recipe.php?id=44) For the smokey one I found the brand of liquid smoke matters, some have really "off" notes. I use Wright's Liquid Smoke, but there are other's that are good too.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #827 on: April 16, 2021, 08:44:36 PM »
I’m loving these black bean burgers. They make a nice soft taco filling with a bit of tomato and avocado salad (dressed with a bit of vinegar or lime juice, avocado oil, salt, and chili powder).

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #828 on: April 17, 2021, 02:37:05 AM »
Making the miso eggplant again, brown rice, sauteed cabbage and tofu. I'll mix leftover rice with frozen spinach, cottage cheese, onion and eggs to make a baked rice cake for tomorrow's dinner.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #829 on: May 31, 2021, 05:59:28 PM »
Seitan cutlets about to go in for cooking! They’ll get twice as big. 400cal/40g protein each.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #830 on: June 01, 2021, 01:13:58 PM »
Avocado Alfredo, stupid easy, and delicious.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #831 on: June 01, 2021, 10:04:37 PM »
Fished some corn and lentil soup from the freezer and reheated. So much better than when I initially made it (but still don't love corn in soup). Am making tofu and pineapple tacos for dinner, the rest of the family will have mince with theirs.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #832 on: July 28, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »
French Fries from the Air Fryer.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #833 on: June 15, 2022, 06:08:34 AM »
Bumping this thread, as I’d love to see more vegan/vegetarian ideas!

I have recently been eating lots and lots of salad, with as many fresh (locally grown) ingredients as possible.  So yummy.

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #834 on: June 15, 2022, 07:10:32 AM »
Peruvian beans with Mexican Rice

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #835 on: June 15, 2022, 08:32:24 AM »
Looks yummy, Chip!  :)

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #836 on: June 15, 2022, 10:33:18 AM »
Grilled portabellas. I usually make them loaded with herbs and soy sauce and worchestershire sauce (v), but now I've been filling the cap with finely diced onion and green pepper, plus diced tomatoes, and topping them with cheddar cheese. So delicious. Also a bit spurty, so be warned.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #837 on: June 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM »
Grilled portabellas. I usually make them loaded with herbs and soy sauce and worchestershire sauce (v), but now I've been filling the cap with finely diced onion and green pepper, plus diced tomatoes, and topping them with cheddar cheese. So delicious. Also a bit spurty, so be warned.

Thanks—sounds great!

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #838 on: July 02, 2022, 11:45:24 AM »
I've been doing a lot of rice bowls with Kim chi, microgreens, fried shallots, and a rotating protein source--it's not always vegan but mostly has been, including: falafel, seitan, and lions mane mushrooms.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #839 on: July 02, 2022, 04:21:32 PM »
We made fresh pasta with kale sauce (lightly cook greens with garlic, then blend with a little pasta water, some olive oil, and possibly some parmesan) and diced fresh tomatoes and mozzarella balls a week ago, and had leftover kale sauce. So we'll finish it with some (dried, commercial) ravioli, the rest of the fresh parm, and more tomatoes from today's farmer's market.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #840 on: July 02, 2022, 05:36:55 PM »
I had mouth surgery last week so I have been living off these amazing vegan smoothies - banana, pea protein powder, cocoa powder, mixed spice, silken tofu, maple syrup, soy milk, frozen spinach and peanut butter. My other food has been a bean and vegetable soup, blitzed to oblivion.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #841 on: July 02, 2022, 11:29:13 PM »
Peruvian beans with Mexican Rice

that looks healthy and delicious!

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #842 on: July 03, 2022, 10:06:22 PM »
I have recently been eating lots and lots of salad, with as many fresh (locally grown) ingredients as possible.  So yummy.

Lunch today was a salad of local zucchini and cherry tomatoes with roasted pears, olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing, served with homemade flatbread.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #843 on: July 03, 2022, 10:12:00 PM »

Lunch today was a salad of local zucchini and cherry tomatoes with roasted pears, olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing, served with homemade flatbread.
That sounds amazing.

Today is day 3 of a weather bomb and I am tired of smoothies. Cooking up roast pumpkin soup to have for dinner tonight.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #844 on: July 15, 2022, 06:20:33 AM »
not right now, but tonight is vegetarian/lentil based moussaka--so so good.

Last night was crustless quiche with shredded potato, spinach, onion, red bell pepper and bits of cheese left over from a cheese plate all shredded together.  Yummy and cleaned out bits of odd veggies and aforementioned cheese plate!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #845 on: July 15, 2022, 11:29:48 AM »
^--- The faster version of that is a frittata, which can gleefully accommodate all the same stuff, and be made in a standard-sized cast-iron skillet.

We've been having an "it's hot, and the end of the week" dinner of pita, hummus, zhaug (all purchased) and all the leftover veggies -- tonight it'll be a green salad with lettuce we got from the neighbors, and a greek salad to use up the tomatoes and cukes before I go to the farmers market tomorrow and start all over again. And wine!

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #846 on: July 15, 2022, 12:04:00 PM »
I made a vat of oatmeal this morning. Mixed in pear bourbon butter (made last year and frozen until now), sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and walnuts.

This is usually a winter dish, but it's cooler here this week plus I just went camping, so craving that cooler weather food. Yum!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #847 on: July 15, 2022, 01:08:59 PM »
@jeninco , I agree! And I often do that too! Love an egg dish that helps me get all my veggies in and cleans out the "past its prime" produce and offs and ends of cheese that would longer otherwise!

@tygertygertyger that sounds delicious! I adore oatmeal with all the "fixins"... Do you have a recipe for that pear bourbon butter???

Going to try my hand at Gordon Ramsay's gazpacho this weekend... It's hot here and a recipe with no cooking sounds good!

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #848 on: July 15, 2022, 01:28:52 PM »
I made a vat of oatmeal this morning. Mixed in pear bourbon butter (made last year and frozen until now), sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and walnuts.

We've been putting fresh picked blackcaps in oatmeal this week. Should be able to get in one more harvest of those.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #849 on: July 15, 2022, 01:32:13 PM »
Split pea soup. The kid said, "This isn't really a soup. It's more of a mush. But it is tasty!"