Author Topic: What type of coffee gadget to you use?  (Read 14002 times)

happylife17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What type of coffee gadget to you use?
« on: August 17, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »
Just out of curiosity . . . what type of coffee gadgets do you use to make your coffee?

I keep seeing Nespresso and Keurig everywhere but I still have my cheap $24.99 coffee maker from Amazon.  It's good for another 9 months (already broke once but it was under warranty) then I will have to get a new machine.   

Decisions Decisions . . .

BTW quitting coffee is not an option for me.  I've already tried and obviously did not work.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: What type of coffee gadget to you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »
Just a plain-jane $19 Mr. Coffee drip maker from Walmart.  I think we've had it about three years.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 01:14:20 PM »
A chemex for pour-overs and a stainless steel insulated french press. We switched from automatic coffee makers a couple of years ago when my last one started to burn the coffee and I was tired of paying a fortune for a machine to do what I could do in the same amount of time. Bonus is a like the flavor of both of these better.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:18:14 PM »
I use a moka pot. Cheap, easy to clean and sturdy. Eventually after years of use it's necessary to change the rubber so it can keep the pressure. Other than that there's no maintenance and not many parts to break.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:27:45 PM »
Metal pour over cone

Hario Skeletor manual burr grinder

Fellow Stagg swanneck kettle

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
I use a $5 Black Friday special coffee pot. I think it's Mr. Coffee brand. Hard to justify something fancier, although my brother uses freshly ground beans and a French press, and it's phenomenal. I have 3 kids to herd to school every morning, so efficiency is key for me.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 01:42:40 PM »
Bunn. It has been a tank. Got it for our wedding 10 yrs ago. I only run RO water in it though. Makes a pot of coffee in under 5 mins. First guy that says Keurig gets a free face punch!

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »
Bunn. It has been a tank. Got it for our wedding 10 yrs ago. I only run RO water in it though. Makes a pot of coffee in under 5 mins. First guy that says Keurig gets a free face punch!

Keurig

:)

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »

Mr. Coffee.  I make it and drink it, and I never leave any left-over sitting on the hot plate.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 03:05:13 PM »
French press + simple blade-type grinder.
I like being able to easily make cold-brew overnight in the fridge. Very nice. Very efficient in the morning as well.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 03:13:49 PM »
Oh yes, we do have a burr grinder, a manual grinder for camping trips and a blade grinder that is predominately used as a spice grinder but could be used for coffee as well.

We joke that our blood type is mocca java and we need IV drips of coffee some days.

whatupjeffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 12:52:42 AM »
traditional Phillips coffee machine, enough to make an espresso in the morning

K-ice

• Pencil Stache

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 01:44:55 AM »
We have a bottom-of-the-range Nespresso, a double-walled cafetiere, and a kettle for making instant coffee at home. We'll soon have a drip filter machine too, because I bought one for work and it never gets used there so I might as well bring it home.

I like coffee :-)

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 03:21:16 AM »
Kettle and a pllunger, and when we have lost of guests, we crack out the drip machine.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 04:09:22 AM »
Most of the time I use a plunger (French press), but I've got one of the little stovetop espresso makers. Unfortunately said stovetop espresso maker is just a little too small to fit on the frame on top of the gas burner comfortably, so it doesn't get used often.

That, a cheap kettle from Woolies and a Sunbeam EM0480 grinder seem to work well.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »
I own 2 French presses and a burr grinder.

Where do y'all get your beans?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 09:32:25 AM »
Pre-ground at the grocery store, usually whatever brand is on sale that week (though I suppose we go with one "tier" or so above the Folgers crowd). :D

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »
I get my beans (whole) in the bulk section of the grocery store when its on sale and freeze them. Then we grind fresh daily. We find that fresh grind has the biggest impact on flavor. Freezing doesn't seem to do too much damage to the flavor.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »
I own 2 French presses and a burr grinder.

Sigh, sadly we had to take a budget approach to this. We used to get them fresh from a local roaster. I miss that. But, for half the cost, we now get the Yukon blend from Costco.

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »
Cuisinart. I was all about the Mr. Coffee pot for years and then one died and then the replacement died not too long after purchasing it. I was going to buy another Mr. Coffee until I read reviews that the pots were lasting only months and quality had declined greatly. I hope this pot lasts me many more years.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »
We have a 20+ year old burr grinder (but I *really* can't taste the difference between burr and blade) and a $30 Mr. Coffee.  My opinion is always that if the coffee tastes bad to you, that means you're not putting enough coffee in the pot.

We buy 2lb sacks of whole bean coffee at Sams.  When we used to have a Costco nearby, we bought it there (and they roasted it in the store.)

As soon as it brews, we put it in a thermos so that it doesn't sit on the burner.

I find the one-cup-at-a-time brewing to be silly.  It doesn't seem more convenient to me in any way.  And if you buy the pods you end up spending something like $50 a lb on coffee.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 10:05:25 AM »
We have a 20+ year old burr grinder (but I *really* can't taste the difference between burr and blade) and a $30 Mr. Coffee.  My opinion is always that if the coffee tastes bad to you, that means you're not putting enough coffee in the pot.

We buy 2lb sacks of whole bean coffee at Sams.  When we used to have a Costco nearby, we bought it there (and they roasted it in the store.)

As soon as it brews, we put it in a thermos so that it doesn't sit on the burner.

I find the one-cup-at-a-time brewing to be silly.  It doesn't seem more convenient to me in any way.  And if you buy the pods you end up spending something like $50 a lb on coffee.

But I only drink one cup a day.  Hard to make a just one cup from the normal drip brewing process.  Our coffee consumption (not ingestion) and spend for it has dropped to about $2/day.  Plus variety is the spice of life. Different strokes for different folks.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 10:10:51 AM »
beans: Amazon of course ;)
been enjoying:
"Italian Roast Espresso Artisan Blend Coffee" - really good, quite cheap
"San Francisco Bay Coffee, Fog Chaser"
"Lola Savannah Texas Pecan"

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 10:22:34 AM »

But I only drink one cup a day.  Hard to make a just one cup from the normal drip brewing process.  Our coffee consumption (not ingestion) and spend for it has dropped to about $2/day.  Plus variety is the spice of life. Different strokes for different folks.

FWIW: I've never found it hard to brew a single cup. 

The drip process works exactly the same way as the pods... it's just hot water over coffee grounds.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »

Well, I hope you have a reusable pod, otherwise I will facepunch anyone with a Keurig who throws away a plastic pod every time they need a hit. That is so incredibly wasteful, unnecessary, and horrible for the environment. I'm usually on team "good for you, not for me," but Keurigs are SO awful if you put even a second of thought into it that I'm surprised to hear anyone here defend using one. $2/day for one cup of coffee is also really expensive. A tall cup of drip at Starbucks is $2.09. You are barely beating the universally-maligned Starbucks habit. In comparison, I buy a 2 lb. bag of organic whole beans at Costco for ~$17. It lasts me at least a month and a half, usually closer to two months. So at a minimum, that's 45 days of coffee. $0.38 per day, marginally more if you divide out the cost of filters and the machine. Think about it.

Also, I've also never understood why people think it's hard to make a single cup of drip coffee--you just...learn how much you need for grinds, and put in the appropriate amount of water? Maybe buy a four-cup machine instead of an eight-cup if the minimum fill on your eight-cup is too high? Or explore the many alternative methods for easily producing a single cup of coffee, e.g., French press, pour-over, Chemex, etc.

For daily use, I have a Mr. Coffee with a timer. For weekends/fancy time, I have a French press. I have a blade grinder and buy whole beans from Costco.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 10:29:27 AM »

Well, I hope you have a reusable pod, otherwise I will facepunch anyone with a Keurig who throws away a plastic pod every time they need a hit. That is so incredibly wasteful, unnecessary, and horrible for the environment. I'm usually on team "good for you, not for me," but Keurigs are SO awful if you put even a second of thought into it that I'm surprised to hear anyone here defend using one. $2/day for one cup of coffee is also really expensive. A tall cup of drip at Starbucks is $2.09. You are barely beating the universally-maligned Starbucks habit. In comparison, I buy a 2 lb. bag of organic whole beans at Costco for ~$17. It lasts me at least a month and a half, usually closer to two months. So at a minimum, that's 45 days of coffee. $0.38 per day, marginally more if you divide out the cost of filters and the machine. Think about it.

Also, I've also never understood why people think it's hard to make a single cup of drip coffee--you just...learn how much you need for grinds, and put in the appropriate amount of water? Maybe buy a four-cup machine instead of an eight-cup if the minimum fill on your eight-cup is too high? Or explore the many alternative methods for easily producing a single cup of coffee, e.g., French press, pour-over, Chemex, etc.

For daily use, I have a Mr. Coffee with a timer. For weekends/fancy time, I have a French press. I have a blade grinder and buy whole beans from Costco.

My DW drinks 2-3 cups a day.  Hence $2.  It is actually < .38 cents.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »

Cool, thanks for the clarification. You still get facepunches for killing the environment. Also, if your DW if drinking 2-3 cups a day, why do you need a single serving solution? Make a giant thing of cold-brew and you're all set for the day without contributing to mountains of unnecessary trash. Or learn to insert lukewarm coffee into the microwave and push the button that says "Add 30 seconds." Or buy a reusable K-Cup and grind beans at the grocery store if you really cannot survive any other way.

I know there are many things that are worse for the environment, but K-Cups are just so unnecessary because there are SO MANY ALTERNATIVES. Coffee production already has such a large environmental impact--using a Keurig is like adding that extra little bit of "fuck you, my personal convenience is more important than the future of our shared planet."

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 11:17:44 AM »

Cool, thanks for the clarification. You still get facepunches for killing the environment. Also, if your DW if drinking 2-3 cups a day, why do you need a single serving solution? Make a giant thing of cold-brew and you're all set for the day without contributing to mountains of unnecessary trash. Or learn to insert lukewarm coffee into the microwave and push the button that says "Add 30 seconds." Or buy a reusable K-Cup and grind beans at the grocery store if you really cannot survive any other way.

I know there are many things that are worse for the environment, but K-Cups are just so unnecessary because there are SO MANY ALTERNATIVES. Coffee production already has such a large environmental impact--using a Keurig is li adding that extra little bit of "fuck you, my personal convenience is more important than the future of our shared planet."

Did I mention drip coffee sucks?

I ordered a french press and I'm thinking that is the solution that may work for us.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 12:59:25 PM »
Cuisinart. I was all about the Mr. Coffee pot for years and then one died and then the replacement died not too long after purchasing it. I was going to buy another Mr. Coffee until I read reviews that the pots were lasting only months and quality had declined greatly. I hope this pot lasts me many more years.
I've never had a Cuisinart, but I bought an expensive Capresso coffee maker back in 2008. ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ELBRGG/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0 )

About a year later, it failed.  So in 2009, I bought a $13 Mr. Coffee 4-cup maker, and it's still working well today, with the original carafe and copper filter.

gmdv

• Stubble
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »
Plain old Mr. Coffee bought for a few bucks.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 01:31:57 PM »

I ordered a french press and I'm thinking that is the solution that may work for us.

It only sucks if you don't make it properly ;) Enjoy your press!

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »

It only sucks if you don't make it properly ;) Enjoy your press!

No, I've made it properly.  Start with great water, great coffee, perfect grind and it still doesn't measure up to other coffee producing processes.

JMHO.

YMMV.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 05:24:15 PM »
My DH loves our bialetti.

nora

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 07:25:32 PM »
A big noisy automatic delonghi machine. One button grinds beans and pours espresso coffee. Expensive compared to other options at $180 secondhand ($800 new). Before that we were camping and used a moka pot over a gas burner. Buy beans at supermarket for about $18 a kg.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »
French Press, Peet's Beans.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2017, 09:12:33 AM »
We have a Bialetti and an Areopress. Spelt both wrong I think, but we like both equally.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »
Just bought a grinder and Kona French Press.  Buying some beans today.  :)

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2017, 12:26:20 PM »
Drip coffee can taste excellent when done right. I bought my 1964 Presto Super-Speed perk for $3 at a church sale almost 20 years ago. I brew a pot every morning before work, 5 times a week, and have done so for the past 15 years, then fill my equally old Thermos and carry it to work.

Grind wise, that works out to around a bag a month or some of my favorite brands (~$5 bag depending on who has a good sale). Works out to $0.25/day and folks are always surprised when I tell them how it was made.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2017, 12:29:59 PM »
Do I win the contest here for most Mustachian setup? :-)

I buy ground coffee and don't own a grinder. I cold-brew without special equipment. Soak in an ice bucket I received as a gift circa 2006. Filter through a small mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter, a bit at a time. Store in already-lying-around pitcher.

Drip coffee can taste excellent when done right. I bought my 1964 Presto Super-Speed perk for $3 at a church sale almost 20 years ago. I brew a pot every morning before work, 5 times a week, and have done so for the past 15 years, then fill my equally old Thermos and carry it to work.

Grind wise, that works out to around a bag a month or some of my favorite brands (~$5 bag depending on who has a good sale). Works out to $0.25/day and folks are always surprised when I tell them how it was made.

Well, this person and I are tied. :-)

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2017, 01:27:56 PM »
After having a bunch of coffee makers and espresso machines, I just use a cheap bodum french press now.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »
Well I tried out my new french press.  I must say that was a damned good cup of joe.  Easy cleanup, good coffee, doesn't take too long.  Totally worth it.  I actually found the process convenient.  No more k-cups into the landfill.  :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »
Well I tried out my new french press.  I must say that was a damned good cup of joe.  Easy cleanup, good coffee, doesn't take too long.  Totally worth it.  I actually found the process convenient.  No more k-cups into the landfill.  :)

YAY. This actually makes me incredibly happy. I know you're just one person, but it still... just so cool =) Good on you.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2017, 04:02:47 PM »

YAY. This actually makes me incredibly happy. I know you're just one person, but it still... just so cool =) Good on you.

The coffee was on sale and it was a store brand Columbian.  $2 off.  It was well balanced, no bitterness. smelled awesome (I stuck my nose in for about 30 seconds - ha!).  I'm going to see how the usage goes, but I think I'll save money as well!

I'm embarrassed to admit that I was a huge supporter of GMCR (they bought Keurig in 2006).  I tried the coffee when I was visiting a friend at his winery in 2005 and the coffee was so good, the process so easy and the choice of each person to pick what they wanted to drink that I became infatuated with it.  I bought GMCR stock in 2007 for about $7/share and rode it up to $140 before selling out about 5 years later.  Made a shit ton of money.  Maybe I should give it away?  Maybe not.  I guess my value compass is adrift. :0. 

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2017, 04:05:41 PM »
After trying a bunch of different ones, I like our ceramic pour-over with a paper filter. Makes one cup at a time (all I need), small and easy to store, easy cleanup. Bf and I have determined I tend to prefer the taste of paper-filtered coffee (takes out the 'brighter' notes that just taste unpleasantly sour to me), but they have reusable filters if that's not a concern. Cleanup is a bit harder though.

We use a french press or pour-over into the French press for a larger group.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »
After trying a bunch of different ones, I like our ceramic pour-over with a paper filter. Makes one cup at a time (all I need), small and easy to store, easy cleanup. Bf and I have determined I tend to prefer the taste of paper-filtered coffee (takes out the 'brighter' notes that just taste unpleasantly sour to me), but they have reusable filters if that's not a concern. Cleanup is a bit harder though.

We use a french press or pour-over into the French press for a larger group.

I absolutely agree that filter vs no filter pour over cones taste very different. The metal cone we have (no filter, we tap out most then rinse, and periodically run it through the dishwasher if it "slows") tastes much more like a french press coffee than the filtered pour overs do.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2017, 07:21:24 AM »
French press for the win :) so glad you're a convert, Cache Stache!

I'm visiting my mom this weekend and she has a primo setup...higher quality beans than I buy, a burr grinder, and a big ol' French press. Really enjoyed my cup this morning.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »

UHMMM  Why?   They are expensive, crappy machines, with poor environmental footprint and utilities usage... but not always...

I have a Kuerig that I got for free when someone did not like the way the pump was working.  It spits and doesn't brew right, even after cleaning it out.  I use my folgers grounds in a reusalbe cup.     It doesn't make great coffee,though, but uses a lot less beans than the french press.

My new favorite, though, is this -- I was travelling and refused to pay the equivalent of $5 for a cup of coffee at a cafe table.  So I used my travel cloths as a cup filter for the grocery store brand coffee beans.   Amazing tasting coffee came from this (with cheap tea kettle).  I was able to reuse the filter by washing it out, for up to 5 cups of coffee.

https://www.amazon.ca/Compressed-Tissue-500pcs-Handy-Restaurant/dp/B00ZIY9YG4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1503259037&sr=8-6&keywords=compressed+wipes   which are 10 cents each on aliexpress....

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
After having a bunch of coffee makers and espresso machines, I just use a cheap bodum french press now.

I use a Bodum french press too. Although they're not exactly what I would call cheap, they are definitely much better quality than a €8 euro grocery store french press. I didn't actually pay for mine though. My mother received it as a gift 20 years ago but never really used it. I claimed it a long time ago. We have a small kitchen, so I like how it doesn't take up counter space like a regular machine. Plus, we broke the glass coffee pot a while back and Bodum sells replacement parts so we didn't have to throw away a perfectly good handle and press just because the pot broke.

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2017, 03:36:51 PM »
Coffee makers: Gaggia Espresso machine, French Press, Metal cone pour over, and a vacuum pot.

Beans: Roast my own or sometimes will buy some at grocery market if on sale for under $5 per pound.