1 (0.9%)
8 or more
6 (5.6%)
I own no bikes, but plan to get one in the future
2 (1.9%)
I don't own a bike and don't plan to get one in the future
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Author Topic: Do you own a bike, if so how many?  (Read 8668 times)

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
Do you own a bike, if so how many?
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:17:49 AM »
I decided to modify my post to see how many bikes people own and how often they swap between them.

My old post only asked if you had a commuter or mountain bike, with the third option being you had both and swapped between them.

For those who have multiple bikes, what is the upkeep like.  If you don't ride on a bike for several months, how much effort is it to maintain it at 100%?

How often do you swap between different bikes?

OLD POST
I'm curious how many people own multiple bikes, compared to owning just one.

It makes you more flexible, but I know some people live in areas where it rarely snows so they may own just a commuter bike.

Or if you live in an area like Toronto, where your comfortable riding a mountain bike year round, then that may be the only bike you own.

Or if you own some other sort of bike such as a Hybrid bike or something similar, I'd love to hear about it and I can adjust the poll or add options.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:03:29 PM by Raj »

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
Re: What type of Bike do you ride?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 10:58:36 AM »
Hardtail 2001 GT Avalanche 1.0 MTB for  the trails, 2006 Klein QPro Road/Racing bike for the road.

For short commutes, I use the MTB, for long commutes, the Klein.

Would love to also own a cyclocross, touring, and e-bike but can't justify the costs as my current MTB/road bikes really meet my needs, save for the touring I dream of doing some day.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »
Your polls needed more options in a big way.

Longtail cargo bike: RadWagon.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »
No such thing as too many bikes. I have:

-Long haul commuter bike with drop bars, 700c wheels and rear rack.
-Short haul grocery getter bike.  Mountain style frame, flat bar, 26" wheels, front and rear racks.
-Modern road bike for athletic, 25-60 mile club rides.
-Vintage road bike that is nice to look at and ride around town.
-Old steel MTB.  Currently making some improvements with intention of making it a winter bike.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 11:52:34 AM »
Your polls needed more options in a big way.

Longtail cargo bike: RadWagon.
I see what you mean, I should probably adjust it as I was more curious how many bikes we had and how often we swapped out.

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Do you own a bike, if so how many?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 06:34:52 PM »
Full suspension Mtn bike
Roadie
Commuter

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 06:46:40 PM »
One bike per person here.  I have a Trex FX 7.2 and my GF has some Giant hybrid.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 08:48:08 PM »
One bike per family member. I have an ebike and an antique that burns 2-cycle fuel.

DW - Huffy comfort bike
children - pair of Trek mtn bikes (24" for the youngest, 29er for the older teen)

I share the ebike and antique bike with anyone that wants to ride them.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:18:20 AM by Just Joe »

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 09:09:18 PM »
Four family members, 6 bikes. 
- 1 commuter (Trek)
- 1 hybrid (Specialized Cirrus)
- 1 mountain bike with surfboard rack (Trek)
- 1 beach cruiser (don't know the brand)
- 1 mountain bike, no surfboard rack (Specialized)
- 1 smaller bike so DS can practice tricks

I think we need two more bikes with surfboard racks because currently if more than one person wants to surf, we have to drive.  I want us to be able to ride over with boards and not worry about parking.

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 11:05:38 PM »
1. Commuter is a 1991 old school mtn bike with slicks. Underneath the reflective tape, the frame identifies as a DiamondBack Ascent EX. The frame and fork are about the only original parts on the bike. The shifters are differing actuator types, and it's on its third set of wheels.

2. Roadie is a 2002 Specialized Allez Pro which is all facotory except for the replacement non- DuraAce shifters.

I'm looking to add a compact foldable in 2018 to carry on a major summer road trip.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:51:41 AM by EarthSurfer »

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 11:08:57 PM »
For me:
Steel road bike with drop bars and electric motor
Cyclocross

For my wife:
Yuba Mundo cargo bike
Yuba Boda Boda family bike
City bike

5 year old:
Islabike with hand brakes (he can do 7 miles in a day!)

3 year old:
Balance bike

I would love to trade out the cyclocross bike for a road bike and to get a hard-tail mountain bike. And My 5 year old will hopefully move on to a geared bike in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 01:54:47 AM »
I have a commuter and a mountain bike. Mountain bike gets about 1-2 months use per year. Commuter gets used nearly every day.

Upkeep is minimal on the mountain bike. I give the chain an oil at the end of the season, and I pump up the tires at the start of the next season.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »
I've got two bikes:

- An aluminum frame road bike set up for winter (fenders, bar end shifters, puncture proof 32 mm tires, easier gearing, cheap 8 speed components that can be replaced for not much money when the salt eats them).
- A steel frame touring bike set up for all other times.

It's very handy to have two bikes for commuting.  It lets me take the time to do my own repairs when something breaks rather than having to rush it to a shop for an immediate fix that night.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
I have three. One older road bike that sits in the attic, where I use it on rollers on bad weather days. One newer road bike with almost 14,000 miles on it, and one old Gary Fisher mountain bike that I bought when my cycling friends decided to get into MTBing during the winter months.

I only paid $120 for the mountain bike (local ebay seller) and have barely used it. I much prefer going out on my road bike, unless the roads are icy.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:27:17 PM by Dave1442397 »

JimmyFry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 10:42:10 AM »
Three bikes for me + 1 for DW used entirely dependent on context.  I also have access to some cruisers that are occasionally used on very nice days

- Road bike used for Club Rides, Century Rides, and indoor fitness riding
- Mountain bike bought off Craigslist to test out trail riding
- Ebike set up for commuting / groceries etc.
- DW's road bike she uses for Fitness + Tris/Duos

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 12:42:39 PM »
I have a single commuter bike. I sometimes want a second bike so I'm not forced to drive if my primary breaks down and I have to wait for parts to be shipped.

This rarely happens though so it's probably not worth the cost/garage space requirements

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 06:42:05 PM »
4 bikes for 2 people, but only 2 are "mine", so that's the option I chose...  Ancient (1986) bargain basement MTB gets the majority of the miles.  I ride it year round.  I have a very nice road bike I built in 2006 and spent way too much money on.  I hardly ever use it.  It's nice, but not at all practical.

JMoney777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 09:52:22 PM »
Disappointingly, I own no bike currently.  It's one of the things I'm looking forward to about leaving NYC in a few years.  I just feel way too unsafe riding in midtown Manhattan on a bike.

Llewellyn2006

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 04:32:56 AM »
I have 5 road bikes - all configured differently and all get ridden to varying degrees. I also have a commuter that gets ridden every so often if I go to a clients office (80% of my work is done at home).

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »
Disappointingly, I own no bike currently.  It's one of the things I'm looking forward to about leaving NYC in a few years.  I just feel way too unsafe riding in midtown Manhattan on a bike.

I hear ya. I lived there and can empathize. Buddy of mine who lives in NYC and bike commmutes, got knocked off his bike by a car, broke his collar bone and was totally out of it for many months. The good news however, is that NYCs public transportation (subway) is SOO efficient, one would have to be crazy not to use it. When I lived there, I remember IRT's #1 train during rush hour came like every 1-2 minutes; insane.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 01:15:27 AM »
My husband and I each have three - our old entry-level road bikes (Trek Pilot 1.2), mid-range carbon fibre road bikes, and basic Specialized hard tail MTBs, all of which have been specced up to some extent. We also have two road tandems between us and plan to add a custom-built MTB tandem when we retire and have time to ride it.

We don't even use the bikes as transport, they're 100% playthings. We could sell the Treks, but they're 11 years old and wouldn't be worth anything, and my daughters borrow mine sometimes. Cycling is our main shared hobby, and DH enjoys maintaining and adapting the bikes so we have extensive workshop equipment.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 02:35:15 AM »
I have 5.

Roadie - for triathlons.

MTB - for trails and commuting (set up with panniers if I need them).

Step-through commuter - for shopping.

Kick-bike - adult-sized scooter - for fun.

Hybrid - traded up to my MTB and have been too lazy to sell it.

Maintenance isn't a major problem, they live in the garage so out of the weather, and I'm pretty pedantic about cleaning them regularly so they last longer.

Oroadsm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 06:55:17 AM »
Hard Tail Mountain Bike
TT / Tri Bike
Roadie

I'll commute on the Tri bike or the roadie

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 08:18:13 PM »
I have two - a hardtail 26er for trails, and a city style bike for commuting (upright, flat bars, fenders, lights).

The second bike adds very little in terms of maintenance, since maintenance on them requires basically the same tools and lube, etc.  The only thing I keep on hand are extra tubes for each.  Other Parts are purchased as needed, so no additional space required. 

I have the two because I enjoy mountain biking a lot more with an actual mountain bike.  However, the city bike can handle light trails fine, and the mountain bike has no issues with my short commute, so I can switch back and forth if anything breaks down.

I almost forgot to mention, having two bikes means is great for hanging out with friends who don't have their own!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:20:26 PM by Hotstreak »

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 08:39:50 PM »
I have two - a hardtail 26er for trails, and a city style bike for commuting (upright, flat bars, fenders, lights).

The second bike adds very little in terms of maintenance, since maintenance on them requires basically the same tools and lube, etc.  The only thing I keep on hand are extra tubes for each.  Other Parts are purchased as needed, so no additional space required. 

I have the two because I enjoy mountain biking a lot more with an actual mountain bike.  However, the city bike can handle light trails fine, and the mountain bike has no issues with my short commute, so I can switch back and forth if anything breaks down.

I almost forgot to mention, having two bikes means is great for hanging out with friends who don't have their own!

This! Our family are interstate, so the number of times we've gone for a quick ride with everyone on one of my respective bikes is fairly large.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »
My household of two adults owns SEVEN bikes.

I have a fancy Electra cruiser, a pretty nice road bike (given to me by my mom when she upgraded hers) and an old mountain bike (also from my mom, from when she upgraded to the aforementioned road bike!) that I plan to use for errands/when I need to leave it locked up and not be afraid it’ll get stolen. It needs a little bit of TLC and should be as good as new.

My husband has all of the above PLUS a really nice mountain bike (his errand bike was also free). And now he is talking about getting a fat bike... I believe the answer to the “how many bikes do you need?” question (in his mind) is, “just one more!”

He does all the maintenance himself and the bikes get a decent amount of use. They will get more use when we are working less. All in all, it’s a reasonable hobby (and I’m quite happy to see other mustachian posting similar numbers).

The eighth bike in our garage (a fancy Cannondale road bike) belongs to my mom (she’s onto a different sport!). We are trying to sell it on her behalf. It’s amazing that we can still fit both vehicles in the regular-sized two-car garage.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 05:53:05 AM »
Add another to the list, LOL!  Found an old steel lugged Trek on CL.  Perfect frame for turning into a SS.  Selling off parts I don't need.  Should be a pretty cheap project.

Mr Griz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 06:49:04 AM »
Moots road bike
Ritchey break-away bike for traveling
Lightspeed mountain bike
Trek cyclocross bike

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 07:20:44 AM »
So many bikes, always. 20 at the moment. Household of four so this includes 3 kids' bikes. But really, I fix and flip bikes for fun, a little money, and parts to enhance my "real" bikes. Plus, I have a kid trailer and a cargo trailer (former kid trailer).

Mine:
Specialized Cross Elite - daily rider - relatively new and only cost $60 on CL
Trek 830 MTB - for the three times a year I go trail riding
Trek 700 Multitrack - backup for daily rider and grocery getter (I don't like having to change tubes if I'm ready to head out)

DW:
Trek 7200 - her daily commuter
Trek 820 Antelope - her backup and my mom's bike when she visits

Kids:
Trek Jet 16" - #1 daily rider
Strider (Balance Bike) - #2 learning
Razor 18" - future bike given to us for #1

Fixing or for sale: (This list changes on a monthly basis as things are bought, sold, found, given, or tossed)
Trek Navigator 300 - old daily rider
Trek 730 Multitrack
Free Spirit 10 Speed - mom's old bike
Ozone Bella Vista
Motobecane Jubilee
Schwinn Jaguar
Schwinn MTB (currently in pieces)
MTB - Frankenstein's Monster from leftover parts/frame
2 Beach Cruisers (I repainted them)
Old Western Flyer
Old Motobecane Road Bike

You might say I have an affinity for Trek bikes. Maintenance isn't really an issue as I'm fixing bikes regularly anyway.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 07:41:40 AM »
All right, who're the other people who answered "more than 8"?  Scarily enough, I see Knapptyme is just down the road from me and is one of the 3.

I'm paring down though, I swear.  Ignore the fact that there are currently three Calfee frames/bikes in the garage (the place where overflow bikes go..).

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 10:10:51 AM »

This! Our family are interstate, so the number of times we've gone for a quick ride with everyone on one of my respective bikes is fairly large.

+1  We finally live somewhere family wants to come visit.  I love having enough bikes so we can all ride in to town or to the beach.  I would love to have one or two more, just need to start haunting CL.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 10:16:03 AM »
I have my racing/commuter bike and my hybrid for trails.

I want a tri bike though but they are so $$$$$.

Winston852

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 09:49:58 AM »
I have one bike and for me it is enough :) Gets me from point A to point B :)

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 01:10:44 PM »
I own two second-hand mountain bikes - a Trek and a Diamondback - paid 80 for each.  It's good to have a backup for when there's no time to do a repair.  I can't be without a bike.  Walking is way too tedious by comparison.  Though I'll spare my bikes and walk when there's a lot of snow, slush or ice.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2017, 09:56:03 AM »
Four bikes: two nice touring bikes, one LLBean commuter bike, and one Dahan folding bike.  Only my commuter bike is completely functional at the moment.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »
I have two bikes:
road bike (for fun long rides, built for speed)
commuter bike (for commuting and daily riding around the city)

For those who have multiple bikes, what is the upkeep like.  If you don't ride on a bike for several months, how much effort is it to maintain it at 100%?
Almost no maintenance is required beyond what's standard - pumping the tires is all I do even after a bike (usually my road bike) has sat for several months (e.g. "winter"). 
Typical maintenance involves oiling the chain every so often, wiping away grit, adjusting the brakes (as necessary - probably every 20-30 days of riding).  About once or twice a year I true the wheels, usually when brake adjustments become harder.  Tires and chain get replaced roughly every two years (as needed) My commuter requires far more maintenance than my road bike b/c i rarely ride the road bike in anything but dry conditions, whereas my commuter goes through rain, mud, slush etc. fairly regularly.

If I had to guess I'd say I spend about ~30minutes/month on bike maintenance.  Some months its just 5 minutes oiling the chain and wiping of grit, whereas a few times a year I'll spend an hour truing wheels and adjusting brakes.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2017, 10:41:00 AM »
I used to own 7 bikes -- including one tandem -- while living in a one bedroom
apartment.  You can imagine what my living room looked like. ;-)

I've since downsized to a single Italian road bike, my beloved Tomassini,
which has 20K+ of miles on it.  The tandem has since been donated to a
program for adaptive athletes, i.e. blind riders in the stoker position.  I've
captained several blind athletes in the past, but don't have the time anymore.

Oh, and the 3 unicycles are gone too.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2017, 11:31:43 AM »
I want a tri bike though but they are so $$$$$.

Fun Fact: Any bike becomes a tri bike if you enter it in a triathlon. :D 

I've long since given up on being competitive in bike races. As such, I often have great fun entering races on wildly inappropriate bikes.  Last time it was a cyclocross race on a singlespeed fatbike.  Some poor soul had to suffer the indignity of losing to me even.

I think next time I enter a triathlon, I'm doing it on the long tail cargo bike. And carrying a cooler full of beer on the back. I'll be sure to put aerobars on it first though.

To answer the question of the OP though: I find if I store my bikes properly (cool, dry spot), there's no detriment to not riding them frequently.  Exception: Hydraulic brakes. I haven't had good luck leaving those unused for more than a winter or so.   

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 03:43:14 PM »
I now have 1.  A late 90's Cannondale F700.  It's the last year of the non-disk brake frame model.  Made in USA frame and doesn't have the "cracking frame" problem that many early disk Cannondales have.  I actually just rode it with my son today.  I modified it with titanium handle bar and a shockpost. 

Until 2 weeks ago, I had a road bike that I built to race in 1974 from a Colin Laing frame, campy group from a 72 Raleigh international, a set of campy brakes, a TTT titanium bottom bracket axle, campy super record pedals and a random set of sew up training wheels.  I just never rode it anymore and if I want to ride a road bike, I can take my 17 year old's.  With all the texting out there, I'd rather keep it to the trails rather than being hit by some "LOL" teenager.  It was a little sad selling the bike but I'm very pragmatic and really don't and won't use it, so now it's just money in the account.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2017, 12:20:05 PM »
My husband and I own 11 bikes between us.

Me:
Old steel mountain bike with 24" wheels
Newer dual-suspension MTB with 26"
Custom-made steel road bike with 650c wheels, 20 years old
Cross bike from same bike builder, 26" (MTB) wheels
New carbon-fiber road bike

DH:
Newer dual-suspension MTB with 26"
Carbon-fiber road bike
steel lugged road bike
Aluminum cross bike
Time trial bike
Alu commuter bike

Plus one beater bike that is permanently mounted on the trainer. OK, that's 12. This is AFTER donating several really old bikes. We ride a lot. The only bike that really doesn't get used is my little MTB. 

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2017, 12:56:04 PM »
I answered 1, we have 2 bikes in our household, but the other bike is DW's.

My bike is a mid 90's hardtail mountain bike that I use a commuter. I replaced the 2.5" knobby tires at 45 psi for smooth 1.5" tires inflated to 60 psi front, 100 psi rear; so it's more like a hybrid than a mountain bike. DW's bike is a more recent hybrid used primarily for short errands and recreation riding. Both bikes have fairly low end rear racks.

There's plenty of other bikes that I would want (and I'd love a 8' bikes at work trailer). I think we'd likely own more than one bike per person if we decided to ditch the car, but I don't see that happening any time soon and our bikes are adequate for what we are likely to choose to do by bike assuming we also own a car.

Spiritual_Lobotomy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »
Haven't owned a bike since I was 16.  I like walking.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2017, 12:39:45 PM »
Why walk when you can crawl?  Much less risk of injury that way.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2017, 12:47:03 PM »
Why walk when you can crawl?  Much less risk of injury that way.

Hookworm.

It's best to avoid contact with the parasites, safely separated by 25mm of rubber spinning around an aluminum hoop.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »
Just one road bike. Used to have a hybrid (stolen) and I'd prefer to have just one hybrid. I keep thinking about getting another that is more of a hybrid and can hang panniers or baskets, but can't really justify it since this one is just fine with a backpack. I live where it is warm and rarely even rains, though.

Upkeep for bikes seems pretty minimal to me. Just oil the chain and tighten the brakes every so often. I don't really do full tune-ups or anything, I just adjust anything obviously out of whack or in need of repair as the issue occurs. I watched an hour-long bike care video one time while following along with each part on my own bike and that set me up to pretty much do my own maintenance for life.

It is certainly most economical to only have one bike, and I'd plan what kind of bike that is based on what you use it for most--is it for commuting, joy-riding, mountain biking, etc.? You can then get by with most secondary needs with that bike, or even rent one for rarer occasions.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »
My husband and I own 9 bikes. 

MTBs
CX Bike
Dirt jump bikes
Commuter bikes

We love all of them. 

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2017, 04:36:17 PM »
This thread is dangerous for those of us that have a problem with bikes.  This is the equivalent of asking an alcoholic to discuss what they have in the liquor cabinet. 

I did NOT buy a new bike this year.  There may be hope for me.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2017, 11:20:54 PM »
Just 1 bike - a flat bar road bike. I ride to work, friends' houses  the shops, sport, etc. I have a milk crate on the back to carry stuff. Never go off-road, & actually hate cycling for exercise.

norwash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2017, 05:44:16 AM »
I have only one bike-"Ducati Super Sport S"

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2017, 05:47:42 AM »
I have only one bike-"Ducati Super Sport S"
:-P