Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 700031 times)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #2700 on: March 27, 2023, 01:52:51 PM »
Finished the first season of Our Flag Means Death.  For a black comedy, it had a surprising amount of heart.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2701 on: March 27, 2023, 10:29:22 PM »
Watching "The Knick" (HBOMax)

Set in downtown New York in 1900, The Knick is a drama series from Academy Award- and Emmy-winning director Steven Soderbergh. It is centered on the Knickerbocker Hospital and the groundbreaking surgeons, nurses, and staff who work there, pushing the bounds of medicine in a time of astonishingly high mortality rates and zero antibiotics.

Up til now I had avoided this show because I read it is extremely graphic with the surgery scenes, and it is, but the show is so well done (acting, production, music) that I wish I had checked it out sooner. Clive Owen is excellent in the lead role of Dr. Thackery, a superb surgeon with a cocaine addiction.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2702 on: March 28, 2023, 07:17:53 AM »
Watching "The Knick" (HBOMax)

Set in downtown New York in 1900, The Knick is a drama series from Academy Award- and Emmy-winning director Steven Soderbergh. It is centered on the Knickerbocker Hospital and the groundbreaking surgeons, nurses, and staff who work there, pushing the bounds of medicine in a time of astonishingly high mortality rates and zero antibiotics.

Up til now I had avoided this show because I read it is extremely graphic with the surgery scenes, and it is, but the show is so well done (acting, production, music) that I wish I had checked it out sooner. Clive Owen is excellent in the lead role of Dr. Thackery, a superb surgeon with a cocaine addiction.

Huh...I don't remember the surgery scenes being any more graphic than any other surgery show, but I saw it years ago.

I remember really liking the show at first, but iirc, it goes downhill and gets pretty stupid.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2703 on: March 28, 2023, 08:51:31 AM »
I wish someone would do a remake of Lonesome Dove. I never saw the original but I've read the book several times and it's a good read.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2704 on: March 28, 2023, 08:58:35 AM »
I wish someone would do a remake of Lonesome Dove. I never saw the original but I've read the book several times and it's a good read.

I'm hoping for a second season of "Godless."  Same theme of small town wild west but a true to life and wonderfully written and acted.  Also majority female characters due to a mine explosion where most of the men were killed.   

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2705 on: March 28, 2023, 09:36:22 PM »

Lonesome Dove is my all-time favorite novel and the TV mini-series is quite good. They did an excellent job with the casting, especially Robert Duvall (in my mind he IS Gus McCrae), and it has one of the best TV scores of all time by the late great Basil Poledouris. I wouldn't mind seeing a remake but it would be hard to top the original.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2706 on: March 29, 2023, 01:32:00 AM »
Finished the first season of Our Flag Means Death.  For a black comedy, it had a surprising amount of heart.

I agree.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2707 on: April 02, 2023, 07:48:56 AM »
Just finished "blue lights" in itvx (UK). A cop drama set in northern Ireland. One of the best crime dramas we've seen in a long time.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2708 on: April 02, 2023, 08:04:33 AM »
Started Mayor of Kingstown and had no idea it was a Taylor Sheridan show.

Turns out he and Hugh Dillon (bald cop in the show) were acting buddies back in his former failed actor life before he gave up, took up writing instead and became a juggernaut.

Dillon is from Kingston Ontario, which is a multi-prison city, and he told Sheridan all about growing up there, so then they produced the show together, and that's why it's called "Kingstown." I recognized Kingston Penitentiary immediately from the arial shots, which is why I started reading about it.

I'm really enjoying it. Jeremy Renner's character is really well written and well acted. I'm only a handful of episodes in, but it reminds me a lot of a cross between OZ and The Wire.

Hilariously, I'm watching it with DH and I keep saying "I just don't understand his motivation. He's working his ass off, stressed out of his mind, and making no money! Why would anyone actually do that?"

To which DH laughs at me and says "You. You do that all the time. You constantly take on stressful diplomatic roles with little to no pay trying to hold insane situations together through sheer will just because you see a problem you think you can help with. You, you're the kind of person who would do that job."

My face dropped and I said "I have issues don't I?"
He said "Babe, you don't have issues, you have subscriptions."

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2709 on: April 08, 2023, 11:42:38 AM »
I just binge watched daisy jones based on reviews here; pretty good.

Yeah, Daisy Jones and The Six is pretty good, but waaaay too drawn out in the middle.  I found myself googling Fleetwood Mac to try to fill in the time and didn't really watch most of 2 - 9 all that closely, but the first and final episodes were really great.  If only real life had such nice bowties.  I like it when things end up messy and complicated, but somehow 'right'.  The music is pretty catchy too. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 11:47:01 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2710 on: April 08, 2023, 12:56:11 PM »
Finished the first season of Yellow Jackets.  It was....fine.  There were strong parts to the storytelling, the soundtrack was incredible and the acting from the younger actors was great.  But I felt like the acting from the adult actors was consistently mediocre to downright bad.  Especially from Melanie Lynskey as adult Shauna and from Warren Cole as adult Jeff. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2711 on: April 09, 2023, 10:08:14 AM »
Night Agent on Neflix. 10 episodes. Good show. Lots of corrupt politicians. 

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2712 on: April 10, 2023, 08:32:37 AM »
That's unfortunate.  I really like Lynskey as a comedic actor, but her dramatic turns haven't been very interesting.

Finished the first season of Yellow Jackets.  It was....fine.  There were strong parts to the storytelling, the soundtrack was incredible and the acting from the younger actors was great.  But I felt like the acting from the adult actors was consistently mediocre to downright bad.  Especially from Melanie Lynskey as adult Shauna and from Warren Cole as adult Jeff.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2713 on: April 10, 2023, 03:02:15 PM »
Busy watching Outlast on Netflix. It's like a cross between Survivor, Alone and the Hunger Games. By episode 4 it's Lord of the Flies.

I watched episode 4 last night before bed and then couldn't sleep and had nightmares due to a couple of really nasty people on the show!

We're also watching Alone Australia & enjoying that. Not sure how it will work overseas with all the swearing, it'll just be one big bleep for audio.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2714 on: April 11, 2023, 01:32:59 PM »
We've just watched Ep 1 of Australian series "Colin from accounts" (on iPlayer in the UK) and LOVE it. V funny so far.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2715 on: April 12, 2023, 06:49:53 AM »
Watched episode one of Beef on Netflix. I'm a Steven Yeun fan, so I thought we'd give it a day in court. A little dark...foreboding...but also funny in parts

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2716 on: April 12, 2023, 08:22:49 AM »
Watched episode one of Beef on Netflix. I'm a Steven Yeun fan, so I thought we'd give it a day in court. A little dark...foreboding...but also funny in parts

Beef petered out quickly for me.  I thought the first two episodes were ok, but haven't finished 3 and don't feel any excitement about there being 10 freakin episodes!  Like many shows now, there was probably enough material for a decent 2 hour movie but they padded it with hours and hours of meh.  I'd be interested in anyone has finished it to see if there is a payoff...

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2717 on: April 19, 2023, 08:59:32 AM »

Beef petered out quickly for me.  I thought the first two episodes were ok, but haven't finished 3 and don't feel any excitement about there being 10 freakin episodes!  Like many shows now, there was probably enough material for a decent 2 hour movie but they padded it with hours and hours of meh.  I'd be interested in anyone has finished it to see if there is a payoff...

Same here.  I realized I just don't like feeling that level of anger and revenge, even vicariously through characters on a screen.
On the other hand, 2 friends watched the entire thing and said there's a great twist at the end, so ... maybe skip to last 2 episodes??

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2718 on: April 19, 2023, 09:13:42 AM »

I agree on the 'kinda FF through to the last 2 episodes' plan.  Episode 9 was a blast and I'm savoring episode 10.  Maybe it's better if there is a long build up, but I really have no clue how they could have filled episodes 3-8...  Sorta like 'Dead to Me', there are some hard to believe relationships between the characters, but I've suspended my disbelief and just going for the payoff :)

Same here.  I realized I just don't like feeling that level of anger and revenge, even vicariously through characters on a screen.
On the other hand, 2 friends watched the entire thing and said there's a great twist at the end, so ... maybe skip to last 2 episodes??

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2719 on: April 19, 2023, 03:14:57 PM »
We have had a sufficient break from Mr Inbetween to start that up again. Don’t get me wrong - it’s really really good! It’s also can be a tough sit because Ray is well a bottle-covey and you’re just perpetually trying to work out if he is going to glass you.

On the (much) lighter side, Colin From Accounts is fun. Both are on Binge for people in Australia

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2720 on: April 20, 2023, 08:05:53 AM »
I have seen one an a quarter episodes of The Problem With Jon Stewart.  I couldn't make it through the one where he talks to diplomats looking for WW3 allies.  Too much uncomfortable laughter and trying to see how professional diplomates control their reactions to his obnoxious interview style.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2721 on: April 21, 2023, 04:59:59 AM »
Season 3 or Ted Lasso is a bit of a snoozer so far.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2722 on: April 21, 2023, 06:42:55 AM »
Poker Face, on Peacock, is a murder mystery series that's tons of fun. If you liked Knives Out, Rian Johnson produced this series too, and it's very much in the same spirit.

It has a great premise: Natasha Lyonne is a kind-hearted drifter who can always tell when someone is lying to her. Like with Columbo, the suspense in each episode isn't about who committed the crime, but how she can prove it.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2723 on: April 21, 2023, 02:51:33 PM »
We finished Snowfall last night and despite large amounts of the show making me say “oh, come onnnnnnn…” out loud, I thought the final episode wrapped up the series in a solid way that seemed true and plausible for the characters.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2724 on: May 04, 2023, 05:46:36 AM »
Bosch: Legacy is not terrible.  A trimmed down cast, lost of cheesey lines, but hangs on to the L.A. noir feel of the original series.  Worth a look for fans.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2725 on: May 04, 2023, 05:56:13 AM »
Bosch: Legacy is not terrible.  A trimmed down cast, lost of cheesey lines, but hangs on to the L.A. noir feel of the original series.  Worth a look for fans.
cool. what streaming service?

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2726 on: May 04, 2023, 06:41:41 AM »
cool. what streaming service?

Freevee which I believe is Amazon's free service platform.  (so many ads ugghhh...)

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2727 on: May 04, 2023, 07:55:45 AM »
I'm watching "Mrs. Davis" on Peacock and it is the weirdest thing I have watched in a long time. The first couple of episodes had so many bizarre twists and turns that I began to wonder if it was being written by dice roll. Something about it feels kind of like alt-comics of the 90s? I love it. Betty Gilpin is magnetic-- absolutely loved her in "G.L.O.W." 

Last week's episode was a bit weaker (the male lead is just meh for me), but I'm still hooked. If silliness turns you off, you probably won't like it, but a little silliness is my jam.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2728 on: May 04, 2023, 11:42:15 AM »
We don't have a TV and only watch it when we house/dog-sit but both my wife and I are technically challenged so by the time we figure out how to use the two or three remotes that lay around the living room, our gig is already over, and rarely if ever have the chance to watch anything worth our time. We just moved to our new "summer home" and tried the TV system again yesterday but couldn't figure out how to shut off the "voice directions" while keeping the program sound on, so we gave up...But in the past couple of years, we did enjoy a couple of series: season 1 of The Mosquito Coast and season 1 of Dark Winds, both loosely based on writings by my two favorite writers. We have six months at our new place to get acquainted with the TV system so hopefully, we can watch the next season of these two series.   
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 11:46:42 AM by YK-Phil »

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2729 on: May 04, 2023, 06:28:42 PM »
My Brilliant Friend
Season 1 was good (especially the first half); thought it lost its way in Season 2 a little, but Season 3 is excellent. Will be interesting to see different casting in final season 4. Lila "Ferret Face" is very enigmatic which I thought was bad writing at first but, yeah, she's now clearly intended to be quite insane, so criticism retracted.

Love & Death
Also on HBO Max, the true story of an affair and jealous murder. Has Meth Damon, which is a big part of why I started it. Good first episode but becomes less interesting with each episode. One of those true crime things where the characters are played by capable actors but written in such a way to make them caricatures, which is what disappoints me about it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 06:33:16 PM by lost_in_the_endless_aisle »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2730 on: May 04, 2023, 08:04:54 PM »
We're thoroughly enjoying "The Diplomat" on Netflix.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2731 on: May 04, 2023, 08:11:17 PM »
We recently finished Mr Inbetween and it's just as great as @Metalcat said. So so good.
Succession also continues to be excellent and it's one of my favourite things that
Spoiler: show
the kids are shown as legitimately Not Good At Corporations. I mean, if they weren't heirs they would just not succeed in any way. They are SO BAD anything that doesn't involving just outright bullying using their money and they have no ideas how to succeed when they can't outspend
Also the acting, chef's kiss.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2732 on: May 04, 2023, 08:41:58 PM »
We recently finished Mr Inbetween and it's just as great as @Metalcat said. So so good.
Succession also continues to be excellent and it's one of my favourite things that
Spoiler: show
the kids are shown as legitimately Not Good At Corporations. I mean, if they weren't heirs they would just not succeed in any way. They are SO BAD anything that doesn't involving just outright bullying using their money and they have no ideas how to succeed when they can't outspend
Also the acting, chef's kiss.

I don't think I was the one to recommend that, unless I don't remember watching it, which is very, very possible. I spent the first quarter of this year really high and watching a lot of tv that I don't remember...

I do fucking love Australian shows, so it sounds like something I would recommend...

Agree with you in succession, this is not a spoiler and not related to your spoiler, but OMG the scene about half liters of blood is just fucking brilliant.

Also, Kendall's inability to form a sentence without using a shotgun blast of cliches is truly nauseating and must be so, so much fun to write.

ETA: oops, write Logan when I meant to write Kendall
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 08:08:52 AM by Metalcat »

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2733 on: May 05, 2023, 04:12:51 AM »

If you need a little more Ray - look for the movie "The Magician". Same character/actor/writer but literally a $2000 budget - just him and a camcorder.  Looks completely different but some great dialogue.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2734 on: May 05, 2023, 10:12:15 AM »

Also, Kendall's inability to form a sentence without using a shotgun blast of cliches is truly nauseating and must be so, so much fun to write.

I like Succession, but Kendall is hard to watch at times....."F-ing, rocket ship to the moon, yeah?"

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2735 on: May 05, 2023, 01:46:09 PM »

I like Succession, but Kendall is hard to watch at times....."F-ing, rocket ship to the moon, yeah?"

There should be a drinking game set to the number of times that Kendall wonders if something "plays."

I love the show, but that being said, I can completely understand why others dislike it.  It takes some time to get comfortable enough with the characters to really buy what the show is selling. And even then the family is hard to take. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2736 on: May 05, 2023, 02:54:09 PM »

There should be a drinking game set to the number of times that Kendall wonders if something "plays."

I love the show, but that being said, I can completely understand why others dislike it.  It takes some time to get comfortable enough with the characters to really buy what the show is selling. And even then the family is hard to take.
Oh it’s one of those shows that absolutely benefits from a weekly release because it takes that long to get over the discomfort and be able to spend more time with them.

Also it’s like Kendall’s head is so stuffed with business school management cliches that when he talks they jostle and bump up against each other, preventing any words coming out until there is just an absolute word salad vomited out. He cannot communicate honestly because he doesn’t even know what his actual thoughts and feelings are, just snippets of press releases and arguments from The Economist.

I never thought Connor would be the lucky one who escaped.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2737 on: May 05, 2023, 04:14:03 PM »

Oh it’s one of those shows that absolutely benefits from a weekly release because it takes that long to get over the discomfort and be able to spend more time with them.

Also it’s like Kendall’s head is so stuffed with business school management cliches that when he talks they jostle and bump up against each other, preventing any words coming out until there is just an absolute word salad vomited out. He cannot communicate honestly because he doesn’t even know what his actual thoughts and feelings are, just snippets of press releases and arguments from The Economist.

I never thought Connor would be the lucky one who escaped.

This is such an accurate description, it's amazing.

Also, my ex was the son of a billionaire business magnate, and he had an MBA. He was the oldest of 2 sons and had a younger sister. He was the heir apparent of his father's empire until he fucked up his life so badly his father started waffling about whether or not he "deserved" it. He had a serious cocaine addiction and a failed marriage. His father literally even looks like Logan Roy.

I basically lived with Kendall Roy, and this show makes me feel very, very icky about that in a "you can't help but laugh at yourself" kind of way. It's a serious art imitating life sort of thing when I watch it, except that there was no rivalry with the siblings, they wanted nothing to do with the business.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 04:24:09 PM by Metalcat »

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2738 on: May 05, 2023, 04:39:37 PM »

Got rid of Netflix a few months ago and this is the first show that has made me want to re-subscribe. Will probably wait until there are 3-4 shows I really want to see on Netflix and just get a temp subscription for a couple of months to watch them.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2739 on: May 06, 2023, 01:24:37 AM »
We have had a sufficient break from Mr Inbetween to start that up again. Don’t get me wrong - it’s really really good! It’s also can be a tough sit because Ray is well a bottle-covey and you’re just perpetually trying to work out if he is going to glass you.

On the (much) lighter side, Colin From Accounts is fun. Both are on Binge for people in Australia

Great to see another Colin from accounts watcher, mspym! I think it's the best thing I've watched in ages and am recommending to everyone I know! It's also on iPlayer in the UK.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2740 on: May 06, 2023, 04:28:27 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2741 on: May 06, 2023, 05:31:36 AM »
I just finished "tell me your secrets" which I enjoyed. It's a bit different to a lot of series.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2742 on: May 06, 2023, 06:43:24 AM »
I see you all are discussing Succession so I had to avert my eyes, gloss over anything anyone’s writing about on forums because I’m not watching Succession until it has all finished on May 28. Then I will sign up to HBO and watch it. Binge it. The show is sublime.

I’m watching The Diplomat  and I am enjoying it. It had a Internet movie database rating of 6. I try to watch only things that are 7 and up, but this one’s pretty decent.

It has been renewed for a second season

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2743 on: May 06, 2023, 04:10:53 PM »
I’m watching The Diplomat  and I am enjoying it. It had a Internet movie database rating of 6. I try to watch only things that are 7 and up, but this one’s pretty decent.

The Diplomat currently has a rating on IMDb of 8.2 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17491088/

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2744 on: May 06, 2023, 07:44:59 PM »

The Diplomat currently has a rating on IMDb of 8.2 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17491088/

I must’ve been looking at the first episode the first day or two that it was released. I’m glad it’s getting such a high rating. I’m not sure I would give it an eight, but I would definitely give it a seven-ish.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2745 on: May 07, 2023, 01:37:32 AM »

I must’ve been looking at the first episode the first day or two that it was released. I’m glad it’s getting such a high rating. I’m not sure I would give it an eight, but I would definitely give it a seven-ish.

I looks like there are two shows called The Diplomat.  Maybe this is the one you saw....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17001504/?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=17c03f06-44b9-4cb2-b16c-dc6c6c11be81&pf_rd_r=81F5S2WP3PB0755Q7GYP&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_t=15506&pf_rd_i=tvmeter&ref_=chttvm_tt_11

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2746 on: May 09, 2023, 05:57:56 AM »
Two episodes into 'Silo' and I'm not sure I like it. Episode 1 was really good. Episode 2 seems to be going off the rails maybe?

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2747 on: May 09, 2023, 06:26:31 AM »
Two episodes into 'Silo' and I'm not sure I like it. Episode 1 was really good. Episode 2 seems to be going off the rails maybe?

Off the rails like crazy things are happening, or off the rails like not following the books at all?

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2748 on: May 09, 2023, 08:50:19 AM »

Off the rails like crazy things are happening, or off the rails like not following the books at all?

A little of both. The way episode 2 ended raised a flag for me. I expect the story arc to be consistent with the book but I also expect a lot of filler to make it tv worthy. I don't want a bunch of over the top things to happen to make it more 'exciting'.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2749 on: May 09, 2023, 09:04:21 AM »
I see you all are discussing Succession so I had to avert my eyes, gloss over anything anyone’s writing about on forums because I’m not watching Succession until it has all finished on May 28. Then I will sign up to HBO and watch it. Binge it. The show is sublime.

It has been renewed for a second season

Pleasantly surprised with The Diplomat!  The supporting cast is fantastic, a lot more laughs than I was expecting.