Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 699926 times)

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #300 on: March 17, 2018, 02:36:50 PM »
The latest episode of The X-Files about Artificial Intelligence was a riot, especially the first ten minutes which had almost no dialogue because Mulder and Scully were on their smartphones.
I like the X-Files, and I'm a techy guy, but I was actually a little bored through that AI episode.  More dialogue would have helped.

I also watched Stranger Things and am watching Gotham.  That's about all I have time to squeeze in so that I can watch news and a movie here and there.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: March 17, 2018, 03:27:01 PM »
The only current series I'm watching at all is the X-Files.  It was a little rough when it restarted, but it feels like it's mostly back in the groove.  This very latest one was meh to me, not a topic I really can get into, but the AI one I absolutely loved.  The limited dialog was a love it or hate it move for sure.  I happened to love it!  :-)

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2018, 06:32:18 AM »
we just got a roku so we're streaming a lot of stuff now. we've pretty much depleted netflix and we'll probably move to amazon next.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #303 on: March 19, 2018, 11:29:04 AM »
Travelers on Netflix.  I was hesitant because it looked slightly cheesy based on the promo materials and images on Netflix.  But it's not cheesy at all - if you liked 12 Monkeys (movie and/or TV series), you'll like Travelers, too.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #304 on: March 28, 2018, 06:24:43 PM »
Roseanne

Sometimes it's nice to just sit and watch a show, no thinking required, and with this show, laughing almost guaranteed.

We used to watch it, the kids were little, but didn't watch it religiously. This new one, glad we tuned in.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #305 on: March 29, 2018, 06:29:17 AM »
Travelers on Netflix.  I was hesitant because it looked slightly cheesy based on the promo materials and images on Netflix.  But it's not cheesy at all - if you liked 12 Monkeys (movie and/or TV series), you'll like Travelers, too.

we just finished watching season 1. it's actually pretty good. thanks for the heads up!

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #306 on: March 29, 2018, 10:53:44 PM »
Most recently? Elementary

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #307 on: March 30, 2018, 02:21:48 PM »
Outlander - Great series.  (Warning - sexually explicit scenes.)
To put it mildly.  Holy shit.  Not for the faint of heart.

Solid show though.

So, I've watched the first eight or nine episodes of Outlander with my wife because the premise sounded interesting.  It's not a bad show.  What's frustrating about it is that I can tell there's a great story in there, half drowned in cheap romance novel cliches (bodice ripping, attempted rapes in more than half of the episodes to drive plot, the evil other woman, love at first sight .  I'm A-OK with gratuitous (and even moderately uncomfortable) sex scenes that drive a plot . . . but there's a lot of fanservice in this one.  Still less non-plot related guts n' tits than the last Starz show I watched (Spartacus) though.  :P

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #308 on: March 30, 2018, 07:45:27 PM »
I hardly watch anything anymore, but most recently watched Altered Carbon. Loved the world building, as sci fi is one of my favorite genres. The premise with possible eternal life was intriguing to explore. A couple weeks later, still slightly shocked by the nudity. It was a lot. Not offended at all, but damn. (I'm not accustomed to watching HBO either, but believe this was way more even.)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #309 on: March 30, 2018, 08:05:26 PM »
I’ve been rewatching GLEE on Netflix.  I’ve forgotten a ton of stuff since I watched it the first time. 

On Acorn I highly recommend the series Vera starring Brenda Blethyn.  Vera is a great character.  I also recommend the show Hamish MacBeth starring Robert Carlyle and filmed in the 90s.  It’s set in a small Scottish western town and it’s quite lovely. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #310 on: March 31, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »

Solid show though.

So, I've watched the first eight or nine episodes of Outlander with my wife because the premise sounded interesting.  It's not a bad show.  What's frustrating about it is that I can tell there's a great story in there, half drowned in cheap romance novel cliches (bodice ripping, attempted rapes in more than half of the episodes to drive plot, the evil other woman, love at first sight .  I'm A-OK with gratuitous (and even moderately uncomfortable) sex scenes that drive a plot . . . but there's a lot of fanservice in this one.  Still less non-plot related guts n' tits than the last Starz show I watched (Spartacus) though.  :P

The first season relies very heavily on rape/attempted rape as a driver of the drama.  My husband was totally into the show for half of the first season, and then had to bail for that reason.  IIRC, later books (I read 4 of the umpty many in the series) don't rely nearly as much on it.

However, I appreciate a show that actually uses sex, and the subtle nuances and complex emotions related to it as part of a relationship, in such a mature way.  Most times in media, it seems like sex is just sort of there for no particular reason.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: March 31, 2018, 09:51:39 AM »
I’ve been rewatching GLEE on Netflix.  I’ve forgotten a ton of stuff since I watched it the first time. 

I loved watching GLEE.

Right now I'm watching "Planet Earth: 2"  - fascinating nature drama!  Makes me want to consume as little as possible and lower my carbon footprint with every action I take.

chicwhitesox1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #312 on: March 31, 2018, 04:03:45 PM »
I'm watching family tv series like "Young Sheldon" and "The Middle", do you know other wholesome family tv series except Modern family, i don't like that at all.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #313 on: March 31, 2018, 07:31:21 PM »

Solid show though.

You're eight or nine episodes in?  You ain't seen nothing yet.

EricL

« Reply #314 on: March 31, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »
Rick and Morty

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #315 on: April 01, 2018, 01:35:02 PM »
In the late 70's I started watching "Sewing With Nancy" on PBS. I did not watch it religiously but always knew she'd be there when I wanted to.  Then we got this computer and Nancy was also online. She started with very little, gave an honestway of seing things, and eventually hired people to run her business, Nancy's Notions.

A few months ago Nancy died, I'd guess she was in her 60's, but I can sill go online to view any episode I want, or to shop.

I was in my late teens when she started, I'm 59 now. That's a long time for her to be in business. I always liked buying from her, and partly because she was a great example of a US business, well liked, knowing her stuff, and finding a way to give her expertise in a free way, because that's how she ended up selling.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #316 on: April 01, 2018, 03:15:23 PM »
I'm watching family tv series like "Young Sheldon" and "The Middle", do you know other wholesome family tv series except Modern family, i don't like that at all.

I highly recommend the remake of "One Day at a Time" that is airing on Netflix. In the new version, the family is Cuban and lives in Los Angeles. The cast is all excellent and the grandmother is played by the great Rita Moreno!

"Fresh Off the Boat," "Black-ish" and "Speechless" are all good comedies about families of various kinds.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #317 on: April 02, 2018, 06:37:56 AM »

The Goldbergs is good if you haven't already seen it.

Spiritual_Lobotomy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #318 on: April 02, 2018, 06:43:24 AM »
C-SPAN

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #319 on: April 03, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »
Jessica Jones!  Unlike a lot of action stuff, this one has good writing.  We are re-watching season one before we binge-watch season two, so no spoilers please.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #320 on: April 03, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »
I seem to be on a western type of roll lately.....started with Godless, pretty effed up but loved it, wife not so much ;-). Next up came Hell on Wheels, really effed up and I loved it, wife REALLY REALLY didn't like that one at all!! (notice a trend here??) Now watching Longwire, not nearly as effed up, and wife seems to think this is step in the right direction :-)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: April 03, 2018, 11:19:35 AM »
Over the holiday weekend we discovered the Netflix series "Nailed It" in which beginner bakers are asked to complete fairly advanced baking projects and the best one wins a monetary prize. It is a very good-spirited show (they clearly cast for people with a good sense of humor about how ridiculous it is) and the whole family enjoyed it. The kids particularly enjoyed it not just because the end results are funny, but because even at their level of knowledge they could see where people were going wrong (not putting frosting between layers of a cake, for instance).

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #322 on: April 03, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »
The Tick on Amazon Prime Video.

It's a low-budget series, parodying/spoofying the Marvel/DC characters, normal urban settings, flaws in hero characters. Lots of witty word play.

Looking forward to Season 2.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #323 on: April 03, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »
Over the holiday weekend we discovered the Netflix series "Nailed It" in which beginner bakers are asked to complete fairly advanced baking projects and the best one wins a monetary prize. It is a very good-spirited show (they clearly cast for people with a good sense of humor about how ridiculous it is) and the whole family enjoyed it. The kids particularly enjoyed it not just because the end results are funny, but because even at their level of knowledge they could see where people were going wrong (not putting frosting between layers of a cake, for instance).

A friend and I watched NAILED IT! on Sunday also and we thought it was a hoot!  I felt like when the judges started giggling, we had to giggle too.  The episode with the faces was my fave.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #324 on: April 04, 2018, 08:13:04 AM »
I seem to be on a western type of roll lately.....started with Godless, pretty effed up but loved it, wife not so much ;-). Next up came Hell on Wheels, really effed up and I loved it, wife REALLY REALLY didn't like that one at all!! (notice a trend here??) Now watching Longwire, not nearly as effed up, and wife seems to think this is step in the right direction :-)

Not a western but since you loved Hell on Wheels you might check out Turn. Hopefully your wife will like it!

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #325 on: April 04, 2018, 05:21:17 PM »

Not a western but since you loved Hell on Wheels you might check out Turn. Hopefully your wife will like it!

Thanks for the suggestion! I just searched it on Netflix, looks good, I'll have to check it out.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #326 on: April 07, 2018, 05:48:23 PM »
Another rec for Planet Earth 2!  I resisted for a while because I thought it would just be so redundant of the first series.  But the videography here is amazing, you guys!  A lot of stuff I could see how they got the footage with drones, maybe, but there are some scenes, like stalking prey right along next to a snow leopard, literally at her paws, that I just cannot imagine how they got the footage for.  And I could probably find out, but I don't even care, it is just so cool and fun!  And I'm not very good at appreciating things like videography or lighting or sound design, so if it was noticeable to me how impressive it was, that means it is *really* remarkable.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #327 on: April 15, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
I have been watching the Netflix remake of Lost in Space. The reviews were rather lukewarm, but I liked it! I definitely preferred the first few episodes where the Robinsons were fighting for survival on a hostile planet, rather than the middle which is more focused on interpersonal conflict. The casting was very well-done (including the kids, which can be difficult) and I like the new version of the Robot a lot. I would say it's still a family show, but not for younger kids. There's no sex or nudity or questionable language, but they make it very clear that everyone is in a lot of danger, including from other characters, and people do die (not in a gory fashion, but on camera) at various times during the series. The new version of Dr. Smith in particular has zero regard for human life if it gets in the way of their own survival. I also don't know that younger kids would be very interested in the flashbacks that explain the family's current relationships.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: April 15, 2018, 08:58:54 AM »
Not sure if anyone mentioned Rita on Netflix but that show is awesome.

Bosch is pretty good (Amazon Prime)

Better Call Saul
Detectorists
Stranger Things

But Rita is one I had to really hold back from binge watching.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #329 on: April 16, 2018, 06:38:19 PM »
Not sure if anyone mentioned Rita on Netflix but that show is awesome.

Bosch is pretty good (Amazon Prime)

Better Call Saul
Detectorists
Stranger Things

But Rita is one I had to really hold back from binge watching.

I love Rita! 
Along the lines of European shows, another Danish show I like is Dicte (also on Netflix) & I just finished watching Babylon Berlin which is terrific.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: April 17, 2018, 06:10:12 AM »
Husband and I just finished Babylon Berlin and agree that it’s one of the best things we’ve watched lately.

We’ve also enjoyed Jessica Jones and Altered Carbon, and are catching up on The Fall.

I’m also very excited for the next season of Jane the Virgin. We don’t have cable so I’ll get to binge-watch and knit as soon as Netflix uploads it.

Amazon Prime also has all of Frasier and the original Roseanne, which have been entertaining during this awful winter.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #331 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »
For something light, we like New Girl, which is on Netflix.  The latest season just dropped, but haven't seen it yet.  All of the cast is great, but the guy that plays Schmidt is a comic genius. 

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #332 on: April 17, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »

A friend and I watched NAILED IT! on Sunday also and we thought it was a hoot!  I felt like when the judges started giggling, we had to giggle too.  The episode with the faces was my fave.

Thanks for the Nailed It rec, I haven't laughed that hard in some time.  Hope they make more of those!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #333 on: April 17, 2018, 03:16:17 PM »
Counterpart is excellent - recently finished that.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: April 17, 2018, 05:47:29 PM »
We are watching Westworld on dvd along with Game of
Thrones.

Westworld,is great, but it has the JJ Abrams stamp. He had them running around endlessly through the forest in Lost.

He has them running and riding around endlessly shooting each other in Westworld. 6 episodes in now and I tune out the loooooong shooting scenes.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:35:30 PM by iris lily »

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #335 on: April 17, 2018, 05:50:04 PM »
Thrones.

Westworld,is great, but it has the JJ Abrams stamp. He had them running around endlessly throigh the foresti. lost. He has them running and riding around endlessly shooting each other in Westworld. 6 episodes in. Ow and I tune put the loooooong shooting scenes.

I actually have no idea what you just said.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #336 on: April 17, 2018, 05:58:48 PM »
Thrones.

Westworld,is great, but it has the JJ Abrams stamp. He had them running around endlessly throigh the foresti. lost. He has them running and riding around endlessly shooting each other in Westworld. 6 episodes in. Ow and I tune put the loooooong shooting scenes.

I actually have no idea what you just said.

Here's my guess:

"Ow and I tune put the loooooong shooting scenes."

Is actually "Oh and I tune out the looooooong shooting scenes."

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: April 17, 2018, 07:36:57 PM »
Thrones.

You guys are good.  I fixed  numerous typos, but really, my words arent especially important so who cate? Haha.

I am just comparing Lost to Westworld, there are similarities.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:42:33 PM by iris lily »

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #338 on: April 18, 2018, 02:21:40 PM »
I'm like 15 years late to the party but I just started The West Wing on Netflix and HOLY CRAP is it good. I haven't been so obsessed with a TV show in a long time.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: April 18, 2018, 02:36:28 PM »
A lot of things here I've never heard of like Nailed It which is something I'll check out for a new genre to watch.  Thanks!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #340 on: April 19, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
I'm like 15 years late to the party but I just started The West Wing on Netflix and HOLY CRAP is it good. I haven't been so obsessed with a TV show in a long time.

Yeah, the West Wing was just excellent TV.  Great writing, decent acting.

DouglasFir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #341 on: April 24, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »
On Netflix:

Travelers - Humans from the future travel back into our time by sending their consciousness into the body of a dying human. They're trying to change history to prevent future disasters. Lots of human interaction and interpersonal relationship stuff.

Glitch - Set in Australia. Dead people come back to life. They try to keep what happened a secret while attempting to figure out how this happened. Lots of human interaction and interpersonal relationship stuff.

Gypsy - A mental health therapist gets too involved with her patients. Lots of human interaction and interpersonal relationship stuff.

How To Get Away With Murder -A professor gets too involved with her law students. They all find themselves in an unexpected predicament. Lots of human interaction and interpersonal relationship stuff. 

On Amazon Prime:

Humans - In a parallel present it's become commonplace for households to have a very lifelike robot servant, but some of the robots start to develop feelings. Lots of human interaction and interpersonal relationship stuff. 

I'd love to hear about other great sci-fi and drama TV shows on Netflix, in particular. :)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #342 on: April 24, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »

I'd love to hear about other great sci-fi and drama TV shows on Netflix, in particular. :)

There's a ton.  Luther, The Walking Dead, New Girl, Parks & Recreation, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Into the Badlands, Love, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Sherlock, Miss Fischer's Murder Mysteries, Penny Dreadful, Spartacus, House of Cards, Mad Men, Sense 8, The 100, Copper, Hell on Wheels, Longmire, Psycho Pass (anime), Longmire, The Fall, The Tudors, Top of the Lake, Continuum, The Killing, iZombie, Z Nation, White Collar, Nikita, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Punisher, Dexter: all were excellent or at least very enjoyable in their various ways.

DouglasFir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #343 on: April 24, 2018, 04:00:32 PM »

There's a ton.  Luther, The Walking Dead, New Girl, Parks & Recreation, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Into the Badlands, Love, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Sherlock, Miss Fischer's Murder Mysteries, Penny Dreadful, Spartacus, House of Cards, Mad Men, Sense 8, The 100, Copper, Hell on Wheels, Longmire, Psycho Pass (anime), Longmire, The Fall, The Tudors, Top of the Lake, Continuum, The Killing, iZombie, Z Nation, White Collar, Nikita, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Punisher, Dexter: all were excellent or at least very enjoyable in their various ways.

Thanks! :) I've seen some of those.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #344 on: April 24, 2018, 07:41:23 PM »
Fortitude . . . it was slow building drama that morphed into a pretty cool sci-fi series over the first season.

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #345 on: April 25, 2018, 12:33:30 PM »
Is Firefly still on Netflix? That's an oldie but a classic

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #346 on: April 25, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »
I recently saw the 1st season of Iron Fist on Netflix.  It wasn't the best show, but I still enjoyed watching it. From reading some comments on it, I guess it's supposed to converge with the other Marvel character's shows in the future, so I guess I need to watch the others.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #347 on: April 25, 2018, 07:37:41 PM »
I recently saw the 1st season of Iron Fist on Netflix.  It wasn't the best show, but I still enjoyed watching it. From reading some comments on it, I guess it's supposed to converge with the other Marvel character's shows in the future, so I guess I need to watch the others.

I liked Jessica Jones and Luke Cage more than Iron Fist and recommend both. Those three characters and Daredevil are all in the Defenders movie, which was also fun (and I’m not usually a superhero fan).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #348 on: April 25, 2018, 07:40:41 PM »
We just started watching Anthony Bourdain’s Parts Unknown on Netflix. It’s really fascinating to learn about both the food cultures and sociopolitical environments of places like post-Qaddafi Libya.

We also watched Wild Wild Country, the Netflix documentary about the Rajneesh cult that set up a compound in Oregon in the early 1980s. Husband and I were kids when this was a big news story, so it was fascinating to see the news reports that our parents were switching off when we came in the room.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:43:45 PM by OtherJen »

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #349 on: April 26, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »

I liked Jessica Jones and Luke Cage more than Iron Fist and recommend both. Those three characters and Daredevil are all in the Defenders movie, which was also fun (and I’m not usually a superhero fan).

The first season of Jessica Jones is my favorite of all the various superhero television series. David Tennant plays the villain and he is legitimately terrifying. The second season was well-done but has a very different approach which not everybody loved (I still liked it.) The first season of Daredevil is a good traditional superhero series with a very solid villain character played by Vincent D'Onofrio. It has really impressive fight choreography--since the character wears a mask, they can use stunt doubles and made good use of them to go beyond what the actor could do. The first half of Luke Cage was excellent and really put the Harlem setting to good use. I did not care for the villain they introduced for the second half. I also didn't like the second season of Daredevil much but there is a character who plays a key role in the Defenders so if you want to watch that series you might want to see Daredevil S. 2 to get the whole story.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!