Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 699812 times)

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #250 on: February 19, 2018, 07:01:59 AM »
anyone watched 'babylon berlin'?

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2018, 10:12:46 AM »
The new Queer Eye on Netflix is amazing.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2018, 02:40:47 PM »
I binged on season 7 of Game of Thrones, because watching incest, genocide, and snow zombies is how my parents and I celebrate the holidays. And now I have a crush on Iain Glen.

Rawrrrrrr.

Dang, I KNOW.  I went for years thinking he was a fine actor but not my type.  And then all of a sudden...

This is my first introduction to him. I may have to investigate that Irish crime drama he stars in. It turns out I like 'em grimy and weather-worn. Om nom nom.
Oh yes! Pretty men need not apply here.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2018, 02:43:50 PM »
I binged on season 7 of Game of Thrones, because watching incest, genocide, and snow zombies is how my parents and I celebrate the holidays. And now I have a crush on Iain Glen.

Rawrrrrrr.

Dang, I KNOW.  I went for years thinking he was a fine actor but not my type.  And then all of a sudden...

This is my first introduction to him. I may have to investigate that Irish crime drama he stars in. It turns out I like 'em grimy and weather-worn. Om nom nom.
Oh yes! Pretty men need not apply here.

I do not like my men to be prettier than I am. >:(

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #254 on: February 22, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
I've really been enjoying Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, I love his short stories and the series has been satisfying so far.

I recently wrapped up the latest season of Empire, am excited by the Misery-like plot twist that it ended on.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2018, 09:24:22 AM »
If you like series with strong female leads, this spring will be a good time for you--

iZombie, Jessica Jones, The Handmaid's Tale and Unreal are all coming back, and NBC is adding a new series called Good Girls with Mae Whitman, Christina Hendricks, and Retta, who are all really interesting actresses.

I find it funny, though, that the lightest of all of them is the one about the Zombie influx!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: February 23, 2018, 09:43:15 AM »
We are currently watching Lost.

I never saw it when it was on TV because it is one of those shows you have to watch every episode.  Hulu has all seasons, so we watching from beginning to end. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: February 23, 2018, 03:29:03 PM »

I never saw it when it was on TV because it is one of those shows you have to watch every episode.  Hulu has all seasons, so we watching from beginning to end.
Lost was a good time. Just be prepared for  them running through the forest. A lot.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:01:42 AM by iris lily »

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #258 on: February 23, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »

Lost was a good time. Just be prepard for them Runnells ng through the forest. A lot.

Lost was also great because you got to see how humans form tribes, in real time.  And how group behavior sets in, once those tribes are formed.  Sociologically it was a very interesting show.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2018, 12:19:23 PM »
Lost was great.  One of those shows that makes me jealous of people who still get to experience it for the first time. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2018, 09:52:54 PM »
Coincidentally, I've been watching "Colony" which stars Josh Holloway (who was on Lost). The general plot is about a family trying to survive in Los Angeles after an alien invasion. I'd call it more of a political thriller than a sci fi show, though--you really don't see the aliens at all, and most of the plot is based on the interactions between various factions of humans living in the police state the aliens have created. It had a bit of a slow start but has gotten pretty watchable. The first two seasons are on Netflix.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: March 03, 2018, 10:40:57 PM »
If you like series with strong female leads, this spring will be a good time for you--

iZombie, Jessica Jones, The Handmaid's Tale and Unreal are all coming back, and NBC is adding a new series called Good Girls with Mae Whitman, Christina Hendricks, and Retta, who are all really interesting actresses.

I find it funny, though, that the lightest of all of them is the one about the Zombie influx!

Just finished Jessica Jones season 1. Pretty good series.

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #262 on: March 04, 2018, 07:29:51 AM »
My son currently loves Psych.

As for me, one of favorite shows of all time was "Babylon 5". It does not appear to be available for streaming anywhere.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #263 on: March 04, 2018, 11:02:52 AM »
Lost was great.  One of those shows that makes me jealous of people who still get to experience it for the first time.

We just finished up season 3.  Wow!  So many twists and turns. It is very exciting!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2018, 06:43:47 PM »
Altered Carbon was pretty interesting - sci fi future dystopia genre.

chicwhitesox1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #265 on: March 05, 2018, 06:53:01 AM »
The Jokers

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #266 on: March 05, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »
I finally caught up on Bojack Horseman (the first half of season 1 is famously mediocre/bad so one has to have patience with the premise). Season 2-3 are very funny but there is a growing darkness to the dark humor. Season 4 is a total shit show of depressing themes, and some of the episodes aren't even trying to be funny anymore, so of course I loved it.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2018, 04:55:17 PM »
As for me, one of favorite shows of all time was "Babylon 5". It does not appear to be available for streaming anywhere.

Babylon 5 was such a good show, I really hope it makes a comeback in some form or another.

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
The Magicians (On Netflix and SciFi)- Quirky but dark show about a magic school, Gods, quests, fairies, etc. Based on a book. 
iZombie - (Netflix and CW) super good, and not even very gory, zombie show. Based on a comic book.
How to Get Away with Murder (Netflix and ABC)- Shonda Rhimes crime drama about a group of law students who keep murdering people due to stupidity, and covering it up due to more stupidity
Black Mirror- (Netflix) A look into dystopian worlds where technology has gone bad.
The Good Place - (Netflix and NBC)- Kristen Bell's character dies and gets to Heaven by accident. Another quirky show.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:46:41 PM by Apple_Tango »

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: March 06, 2018, 09:20:15 AM »
Yay, another iZombie fan! I have tried to sell quite a few people on that series, but it seems to be a very specific taste.

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #270 on: March 06, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
Yay, another iZombie fan! I have tried to sell quite a few people on that series, but it seems to be a very specific taste.

I could not stop watching it! I'm sold on any show that makes me laugh out loud, and I think the actress who plays Liv is awesome

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #271 on: March 07, 2018, 03:13:41 PM »
Watching 7 Seconds on Netflix and think I have one episode left of the first season. A Netflix original and I think its really good and alot about whats happening in today's society.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #272 on: March 07, 2018, 03:36:47 PM »

I could not stop watching it! I'm sold on any show that makes me laugh out loud, and I think the actress who plays Liv is awesome

Another iZombie fan here.  There is some very clever and snarky humor in that show.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: March 07, 2018, 04:57:12 PM »

Another iZombie fan here.  There is some very clever and snarky humor in that show.

I dressed up as Liv Moore for Halloween. I was so disappointed that nobody got the reference! I love iZombie

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: March 08, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »

I dressed up as Liv Moore for Halloween. I was so disappointed that nobody got the reference! I love iZombie

I think my favorite was the episode when she was channeling the D&D fan and ended up getting all her friends to play D&D with her. Although at this point I sometimes wonder if they are thinking up characters just to see if Rose McIver can play them! :)

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #275 on: March 09, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »
Yes, the D&D episode was awesome! I also liked the recent Seattle seahawk fan episode just because it was hilarious to see her in full fan gear, with the painted on teeth and everything. Also really liked Liv as a frat bro

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: March 09, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
My favorite TV show by far was the x files.  I have all the seasons on my surface pro and I rewatch them every year or so.  The first five seasons are epic.   And Scully was such a vixen too!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #277 on: March 10, 2018, 03:24:49 PM »
My favorite TV show by far was the x files.  I have all the seasons on my surface pro and I rewatch them every year or so.  The first five seasons are epic.   And Scully was such a vixen too!

Heh.  DH used to periodically get so frustrated at Mulder for not going for it on his behalf.  Hell, I'm pretty straight and I wanted to go for it.  Watching Gillian Anderson on American Gods last year made me realize I kind of still do!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #278 on: March 10, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »

Heh.  DH used to periodically get so frustrated at Mulder for not going for it on his behalf.  Hell, I'm pretty straight and I wanted to go for it.  Watching Gillian Anderson on American Gods last year made me realize I kind of still do!

GA has only gotten more attractive in recent years.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: March 10, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »

The latest episode of The X-Files about Artificial Intelligence was a riot, especially the first ten minutes which had almost no dialogue because Mulder and Scully were on their smartphones. Instant classic. I had to look up the story from the beginning about the Twitter AI being trolled into becoming a Neo-Nazi and it was actually true. The real world is more frightening than fiction sometimes.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2018, 08:52:24 AM »

Did you see her in that British show where she chased a serial murderer in Ireland over two seasons? It was pretty good, one reason being that the serial killer was handsome and charming.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #281 on: March 12, 2018, 12:33:17 PM »

Oh my god. I've literally told people that I am jealous of them for not having seen a show I love yet and none of them understand it.

Just started Counterpart on Starz yesterday.  First episode was very well done. Free 7 day trials on amazon and the Starz app.

Westworld comes back in April, I think.  That's a show I'm jealous over when another person hasn't seen it

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #282 on: March 12, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
I'm almost done with SE2 of "The Crown". My only issue with it is they seem to be portraying Prince Philip as a real jackhole. of course I don't know if he is or is not...

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: March 12, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »

Oh my god. I've literally told people that I am jealous of them for not having seen a show I love yet and none of them understand it.

Just started Counterpart on Starz yesterday.  First episode was very well done. Free 7 day trials on amazon and the Starz app.

Westworld comes back in April, I think.  That's a show I'm jealous over when another person hasn't seen it

I didn't think I would like Westworld, and I knew DH wouldn't watch it because it would be too rapey for him.  So I gave it a whirl when I had a week to myself, about 6 months after it aired. And I just sat there mainlining it for about 3 days and constantly yelling at the screen in amazement and wishing I had someone to watch it with. Also, :trivia: it's one of the only shows set in the Southwest that picked accurate bird call sound effects for the scenes set in the riparian cottonwood galleries, including gray hawk calls.  I never thought I'd hear that species in a fictional movie or tv, definitely not in the proper setting.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:23:36 PM by wenchsenior »

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #284 on: March 12, 2018, 03:08:13 PM »
Chef's Table  - If you like food, you will like this show.
Meateater - Good for everyone.  We will let our preschool kids watch before they will ever get to watch some of the crappy cartoons that are out there these days.
Outlander - Great series.  (Warning - sexually explicit scenes.)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #285 on: March 12, 2018, 03:13:47 PM »
To put it mildly.  Holy shit.  Not for the faint of heart.

Solid show though.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: March 12, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »

Did you see her in that British show where she chased a serial murderer in Ireland over two seasons? It was pretty good, one reason being that the serial killer was handsome and charming.

I seem to recall that the actor who played the serial killer went on to play the lead in those Fifty Shades movies. Nobody seems to think much of his acting in those, but based on the trailers there is nothing wrong with his looks...

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #287 on: March 12, 2018, 08:17:48 PM »

I seem to recall that the actor who played the serial killer went on to play the lead in those Fifty Shades movies. Nobody seems to think much of his acting in those, but based on the trailers there is nothing wrong with his looks...

The series is called "The Fall", it's on Netflix for free and it's rather excellent. 

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #288 on: March 12, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »
My tastes must be outside the mainstream because some of my favorite series were canceled after one season.

Awake is on Netflix. A cop was in a car crash with his wife and son. One of them died but which one?  Fascinating and very psychological I was mesmerized.

2 other series I loved that unfortunately seem not to be available anywhere:  Journeyman and Frank's Place.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2018, 10:02:13 AM »
Meateater - Good for everyone.  We will let our preschool kids watch before they will ever get to watch some of the crappy cartoons that are out there these days.

That's very sad.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »

That's very sad.

Why is this sad?  Because we don't let our kids watch crappy cartoons?  Or because we let them watch TV?
Certainly you aren't saying "That's very sad" because of the content found in Meateater.  If you've watched it, you would know its of excellent viewing material.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: March 13, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »

That's very sad.

Why is this sad?  Because we don't let our kids watch crappy cartoons?  Or because we let them watch TV?
Certainly you aren't saying "That's very sad" because of the content found in Meateater.  If you've watched it, you would know its of excellent viewing material.

That is exactly what I'm saying especially considering the age of your kids.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #292 on: March 13, 2018, 03:13:23 PM »

That's very sad.

That is exactly what I'm saying especially considering the age of your kids.

@DarkandStormy  I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do here - either invite you to Northern Canada and show you what wildlife looks like, and take you on a hunting trip, OR tell you to "get stuffed" for being judgemental (in what I believe in, how I live, and how I raise my family.)

Steve Rinella, the host of MeatEater, is a great role model.  He cares about his country.  He cares about wildlife management.  He is a respectful hunter.  His show is not full of bravado - he is respectful.  He is philosophical and thoughtful.  He is responsible in his hunting.  He doesn't use profanity.  He doesn't use off-colored language.  He is a great story teller.
The only reason I could see someone not liking this show - they don't agree with hunting.

As far as my kids, they are fantastic.
They play with frogs and are often too rough with them - and the frogs become limp.
They have seen songbirds hit the window of our house - and become lifeless.
They get their hands dirty in the garden and know where the beans, potatoes, pees, etc that they eat come from.
They know where the meat that sits on their plate comes from - whether it is beef, deer, grouse, or goose or otherwise.
My kids appreciate and respect the food put in front of them, and much of that is due to the fact that they are aware of what it takes to get it on their plate.
They understand The Circle of Life better than many adults do - and they haven't got that from The Lion King because they haven't watched that movie.

DarkandStormy, I offer you an invitation to the Great White North where I'd be willing to show you what a rich life looks like (the beauty of hunting and knowing where your food comes from), and I'm going to tell you to get stuffed!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: March 13, 2018, 03:29:01 PM »
DarkandStormy, I offer you an invitation to the Great White North where I'd be willing to show you what a rich life looks like (the beauty of hunting and knowing where your food comes from), and I'm going to tell you to get stuffed!

I will limit this to one post considering it's veering severely off topic (and I'm wanting to read more about a new series to start).

I appreciate the invitation, however sincere or not it may be.  I may in fact take you up on it some day (my Canadian experience thus far in life has been Toronto and Niagra Falls).  I will not, though, ever be joining on a hunting trip.  I do not believe that animals should be hunted for our pleasure and enjoyment (and thus, the viewing of hunting animals either).  They are beautiful creatures who should not be killed just because it might be fun.

I said initially it was sad because pre-schoolers should learn to enjoy nature and animals and not watch a show how to kill them, imo.  We as a human race have done more than enough to destroy their habitats, torture and kill them for pleasure (not saying this particular hunting show), torture and kill them for food which is completely unnecessary for us to live, etc. etc.  So while this guy might do it "the good way" he's still killing animals so you can be entertained.  That's it.

It's just not my cup of tea and not how I hope our future generations are raised.

/ends my discussion on this particular in this thread, back to the shows!

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #294 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:28 PM »
Another vote for Counterpart here!  It's like John LeCarre meets science-fiction.  The oppressive spy-story atmospherics are great, and J.K. Simmons is nothing short of amazing in his dual role.

Other favorites include:  Game of Thrones; Jessica Jones; Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2018, 12:09:24 PM »
It was great to get a second season of Jessica Jones this spring! It wasn't perfect--they could have skipped the whole subplot with the lawyer, and I didn't love the way the friendship between Jessica and her best friend, which was one of my favorite parts of the first season, was handled--but still very well-done. The main antagonist was very different this time, though, and that may turn some people off. In Season One, the villain was a full-on evil sociopath who was honestly pretty terrifying. This season's antagonist was much more complicated and reminded me quite a bit of the antagonist from the first season of Daredevil--an actual person who did bad things but had understandable motives and backstory.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #296 on: March 15, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »

Dirty Money - Just finished watching the episode called Drug Short - I found it mind-blowing.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2018, 08:02:46 AM »
Santa Clarita Diet. I'm not a fan of Drew Barrymore or the overabundance of everything zombie and yet this one was pretty entertaining. It's an awkward mix of light humor and gore that probably turns off a lot of people that would watch because they like Barrymore.

Only one season/10 episodes so far so it's not much of a time commitment, season 2 is starting 3/23.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »
the detectorists. light and funny. no zombies.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #299 on: March 17, 2018, 01:20:37 PM »

Dirty Money - Just finished watching the episode called Drug Short - I found it mind-blowing.

Wow Dirty Money is great !!!  An eye-opener. Really disturbing how HSBC is getting off with a slap on the wrist.