Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 699882 times)

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »
Following - Lots of material to review here!

Catastrophe - Amazon - first few seasons are great.  Great chemistry between the leads.  Pretty damn funny.

Jet711

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2017, 02:45:31 PM »
Leverage. Its a show about ex-criminals who were masters in their field (hacking, stealing, impersonating, e.t.c) being legitimate, and using their skills to incriminate other criminals. Very exciting, surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »
Leverage. Its a show about ex-criminals who were masters in their field (hacking, stealing, impersonating, e.t.c) being legitimate, and using their skills to incriminate other criminals. Very exciting, surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Ahh I forgot about that show - it's fun.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »
Watching "The Strain" on Hulu.
It's terrifying

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2017, 05:49:49 PM »

Ahh I forgot about that show - it's fun.

Agreed - we watched it when it was first broadcast and it's very fun.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2017, 09:30:57 PM »
Stranger Things
The 100
Gotham
Once Upon a Time

Hope to watch the new Twin Peaks sometime.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:11:16 AM by GenXbiker »

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2017, 10:48:06 PM »
I've been binge-watching Death in Paradise, as part of my murder-mystery summer fetish. I thought I wouldn't like it because of the Caribbean setting--but that actually makes it all the more fun. (Yeah, no 1930's English backdrops here.) The main characters change like revolving doors through the seasons, but believe it or not, they're all good, and it works out fine.
I do like this show - but  the goofy blonde guy (series 3-6 I think) was my favourite. I haven't seen any of the latest guy but did enjoy his work as an idiot on Father Ted.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2017, 06:22:23 AM »
I've been binge-watching Death in Paradise, as part of my murder-mystery summer fetish. I thought I wouldn't like it because of the Caribbean setting--but that actually makes it all the more fun. (Yeah, no 1930's English backdrops here.) The main characters change like revolving doors through the seasons, but believe it or not, they're all good, and it works out fine.
I do like this show - but  the goofy blonde guy (series 3-6 I think) was my favourite. I haven't seen any of the latest guy but did enjoy his work as an idiot on Father Ted.

Kris Marshall and Ardal O'Hanlon.

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2017, 05:07:47 PM »

Kris Marshall and Ardal O'Hanlon.

I'm terrible with actor's names. I prefer just describing other things they've done. You know the guy from the thing? He had hair?
Kris Marshall - goofy guy from that dentist show.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »
I zipped through the latest season that is available on dvd of VEEP.  It is funny as hell, and smutty. It is probably the worst tv show  for lanugage, the sexual quips come a mile a minute.  Love it. 

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »
Highly recommend The Ranch on Netflix.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2017, 06:45:37 PM »
OMG--I LOVE VEEP!!

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »
Watching "The Strain" on Hulu.
It's terrifying

Thank you! I watched season 1, but I forget to keep an eye for season 2. It is pretty good for horror TV series.

Micona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »
The Walking Dead

On Netflix my wife and I both enjoy The Ranch

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »
Just finished watching the first 2 seasons of "Better Call Saul".

Really great writing and acting. I was surprised at how good this series is, with "Breaking Bad" being such a high bar to approach.

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »
For those of you who enjoyed Breaking Bad, you should watch Ozark on Netflix.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2017, 08:29:50 PM »
Just finished watching the first 2 seasons of "Better Call Saul".

Really great writing and acting. I was surprised at how good this series is, with "Breaking Bad" being such a high bar to approach.

I highly reccomend The Rake, an Australian television series about a down and out lawyer. I like  it even better than Better Call Saul. It is more formulaic, at least the first season is, because the lawyer takes cases that can't be won and he usually always wins, , and his clients are nearly always guilty.  He takes drugs and chases women and is a reprobate. The supporting actors are decent.

It is on Netflix, or Amazon, or one of those services.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:20:11 AM by iris lily »

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »
The Sinner. So good!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2017, 06:19:05 AM »
I'm still on my mystery kick. I finished watching the Dr. Blake Mysteries on Netflix--a little different, being set in Australia, but the characters are engaging. Not too light, not too dark--meaty stories and interesting character arcs. 0n a friend's recommendation, I went back to Hinterland for another try. (Season 1, Ep. 1 just seemed too dark and depressing.) For some reason Hinterland--and the incredibly beautiful Welsh scenery and interesting Welsh accents--clicked for me with Season 1, Ep. 2. So I'm going to binge. My neighbor told me to pay attention, because apparently there are over-reaching story arcs, with one episode tied to another, and all going back to the first episode. So we shall see.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2017, 06:04:40 PM »
Brooklyn Nine-Nine is so funny! This is just what I need right now since I'm going through a lot with my kids right now. Simple, mindless comedy!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: September 06, 2017, 08:23:49 PM »
I'm watching "The Client List" on Netflix. Surprisingly good and funny topic.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2017, 08:38:51 PM »
I've heard good things about something called..."Game of Thrones" I believe?

Might give that a shot. Even if it sounds a bit nerdy.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: September 06, 2017, 08:41:53 PM »
My 10 year old daughter got me hooked on "The Flash".  Fun show.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2017, 07:34:06 AM »
Our HBO free month is about up.  We utilized a free month of Hulu to watch The Handmaids Tale (recommended).

After this HBO month, I'll probably head back to Netflix to finish up Season 3 of Bloodline and then we'll start Ozark.

My/our upcoming list (some will be me only haha):
-most recent season of House of Cards
-The Keepers
-Ozark
-HBO series next time we sign up for a month: Deadwood, True Detective, The Wire (plus some others that we'll never get to lol)
-Stranger Things next month!
-Trying to get SO into Better Call Saul

Think we have enough to watch the next few months.  Wish HBO wasn't $15/month, but as is we rotate the free month around GoT.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »

Lower your expectations. It's definitely a cultural phenomenon, but the quality does not match The Wire or Breaking Bad or Mad Men, IMO. You might end up thinking "really, this is it?" if you go in thinking you're about to watch one of the best shows of all time.

I just finished up "Thirteen Reasons Why." Quite liked the show, but didn't particularly like the ending (which seemed like a pointless set-up for a second season). Did not get the impression that it glamorized suicide, but can see how it can be dangerous for currently suicidal people.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2017, 08:36:57 AM »

Lower your expectations. It's definitely a cultural phenomenon, but the quality does not match The Wire or Breaking Bad or Mad Men, IMO. You might end up thinking "really, this is it?" if you go in thinking you're about to watch one of the best shows of all time.
Look at his username. :)

Girlfriend and I recently started watching The Expanse on Amazon Prime.  It's shockingly good for a Syfy Original of all things (main reason I originally wrote it off).

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »

Girlfriend and I recently started watching The Expanse on Amazon Prime.  It's shockingly good for a Syfy Original of all things (main reason I originally wrote it off).

Dammit, I really should read things more closely!

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
GLOW - Netflix
Stranger Things - Netflix
Ash vs Evil Dead - Starz
GOT - HBO
Westworld - HBO

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2017, 01:10:36 PM »
I'm still on my mystery kick. I finished watching the Dr. Blake Mysteries on Netflix--a little different, being set in Australia, but the characters are engaging. Not too light, not too dark--meaty stories and interesting character arcs. 0n a friend's recommendation, I went back to Hinterland for another try. (Season 1, Ep. 1 just seemed too dark and depressing.) For some reason Hinterland--and the incredibly beautiful Welsh scenery and interesting Welsh accents--clicked for me with Season 1, Ep. 2. So I'm going to binge. My neighbor told me to pay attention, because apparently there are over-reaching story arcs, with one episode tied to another, and all going back to the first episode. So we shall see.

Finished binge-watching the three seasons of Hinterland. OMG, my neighbor was right--it is excellent, and will really draw you in. It is dark though--Wales noir, I guess you could call it. There are gripping stand-alone stories that weave in among the over-reaching arc that does stem from the story in season 1 episode 1. So you have to pay attention. The scenery just gets more beautiful and dramatic with every episode. I have been through Wales, but never stayed to tour around. Well, that's going to change. Ceredigion, here I come!

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »
The newest season of Bojack Horseman is up on Netflix today, I am very excited about this.

littleweedontheprairie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2017, 02:33:34 PM »
I second "Better Call Saul", "Stranger Things" and "Broadchurch". Impecabbly written, superb acting. I found " Orange is the New Black", "Call the Midwife" and "Longmire" to be entertaining but I could see both of them getting annoying to someone else. I haven't seen anyone recommend those: "Foyle's War" -highly recommend if you like British crime shows. Set in WW2 and after. Also "Happy Valley". That's darker, but also just beautiful. If you liked "River", go for that one!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2017, 03:30:04 PM »
Wentworth,

it is a Australian Prision show. Similar to OITNB, but way darker, and in my opinion realistic.  I really liked it.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2017, 03:00:10 AM »
Not surprised some here like Ozark after seeing the facepunches Jason Bateman gives his family. Too bad the season was so short.

Also recommend Power, The Strain, The Path.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2017, 11:53:06 AM »
I have recently been watching Banshee, which is on Amazon Prime these days. The premise is that an ex-con comes looking for his former flame, who has assumed a new identity, in a small town in Pennsylvania. He has the opportunity to take on the identity of the new sheriff who had just arrived in town as a way to stay around while he tries to rekindle their relationship. Warning--it is very violent, and this tiny Pennsylvania town has more problems with motorcycle gangs, corrupt mobsters, neo-Nazis, etc than most mid-size cities...but the lead is very watchable. (You do have to suspend your disbelief that nobody is noticing the total lack of due process and normal police procedure in a town 90 minutes outside Philadelphia...)

I also started rewatching Burn Notice, which is much more light and fun. Good laundry-folding TV.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2017, 11:54:54 AM »
The newest season of Bojack Horseman is up on Netflix today, I am very excited about this.

Love Will Arnett and Alison Brie. Great show, binged the season over the weekend lol

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #185 on: September 13, 2017, 01:42:19 PM »
So You Think You Can Dance, although we usually fast forward through the commentary and just watch the routines.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2017, 06:04:58 AM »
"Trapped" on Amazon Prime is a Nordic noir mystery series set in Iceland. The language is Icelandic with some Danish and English...it is subtitled, but don't let that put you off. Fully-realized characters, a complex mystery, an incredibly beautiful setting--well-worth watching.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2017, 02:59:24 PM »
Sense 8 is awesome!!  They did a very good job of that show.  To bad they canceled it due to political pressure after two seasons.

The 4400 is well done as well.  That was canceled due to the writers strike in 2008 or so.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #188 on: September 14, 2017, 04:07:04 PM »
Sense 8 is awesome!!  They did a very good job of that show.  To bad they canceled it due to political pressure after two seasons.

Netflix cancelled it because it was tremendously expensive to produce.   Same as Marco Polo which was also cancelled.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: September 14, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »
Wow I loved Marco Polo. What a shame.

I'm having a hard time getting into Sense 8.  Does it take pushing through the 1st episode?  Or do you know you love it right away ?

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »
The 4400 is well done as well.  That was canceled due to the writers strike in 2008 or so.

Hadn't heard this mentioned in about 8-9 years haha.  That was the USA original, right?

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2017, 08:56:58 AM »

Hadn't heard this mentioned in about 8-9 years haha.  That was the USA original, right?

I am not sure where it was done.  I came across it on Netflix and loved it. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2017, 10:50:40 AM »
Dark Matter was cancelled, unfortunately with ninety-eleven cliffhanging plot threads. I know the fans are trying to get it back on in some form. (Like when Firefly was cancelled...and Stargate Universe...and Farscape.) I can't fathom why Dark Matter was cancelled and Killjoys is apparently going to run for two more seasons. They were about the same in terms of quality--wild, cartoonish space action-adventure--fun to watch. I'm starting to hate the SyFy channel and their viewer-unfriendly decisions.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2017, 10:55:08 AM »
Dark Matter was cancelled, unfortunately with ninety-eleven cliffhanging plot threads. I know the fans are trying to get it back on in some form. (Like when Firefly was cancelled...and Stargate Universe...and Farscape.) I can't fathom why Dark Matter was cancelled and Killjoys is apparently going to run for two more seasons. They were about the same in terms of quality--wild, cartoonish space action-adventure--fun to watch. I'm starting to hate the SyFy channel and their viewer-unfriendly decisions.

ARG really?  I am most of the way through season 1 and love it.  Why do they cancel the good ones?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2017, 06:45:09 AM »
After watching Episode 1 of Season 7 of the Walking Dead, I could almost cry, it seems so hopeless.

hoipolloi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »
There has only been two episodes so far, but I'm really enjoying The Deuce on HBO. Love all of David Simon's work and great to see some familiar faces from his other series. Maggie Gyllenhaal is incredible so far and James Franco playing two characters isn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »
I have recently been watching Banshee, which is on Amazon Prime these days. The premise is that an ex-con comes looking for his former flame, who has assumed a new identity, in a small town in Pennsylvania. He has the opportunity to take on the identity of the new sheriff who had just arrived in town as a way to stay around while he tries to rekindle their relationship. Warning--it is very violent, and this tiny Pennsylvania town has more problems with motorcycle gangs, corrupt mobsters, neo-Nazis, etc than most mid-size cities...but the lead is very watchable. (You do have to suspend your disbelief that nobody is noticing the total lack of due process and normal police procedure in a town 90 minutes outside Philadelphia...)

I also started rewatching Burn Notice, which is much more light and fun. Good laundry-folding TV.

I love Burn Notice! Michael and Fiona have great chemistry.

Just want to mention that beside violence, Banshee has plenty of sex scenes.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2017, 09:07:41 PM »

The book series is fantastic.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: October 20, 2017, 07:51:54 PM »
I'm watching, "Alone" on Hulu.

It's about these men that are dropped off into the wilderness of Vancouver Island to try to survive with only 10 tools they were allowed to take with them. The guy who survives the longest wins $500,000
They talk into a camera and you see amazing scenery of the wilderness, bears, the sounds of wolves.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: October 21, 2017, 07:21:19 AM »
Shetland, on Netflix. This mystery series is set in the Scottish Shetland Islands, featuring Fair Isle  detective inspector Jimmy Perez. (An ancestor was washed ashore off a shipwrecked Spanish galleon, back in the day). It's based very loosely on the novels by Ann Cleeves--Raven Black, White Nights, Red Bones, Blue Lightning, Dead Water, Thin Air, Cold Earth. I would watch the excellent series for the stories and the beautiful scenery--and also read the books in order--because the stories are quite different and far better--and you won't have to be struggling to understand the accents...while having the visuals in your mind's eye from watching the TV series. Very entertaining all the way around.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!