Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 708753 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #3200 on: March 22, 2024, 04:00:28 PM »
We just started watching the third season of For All Mankind . . . and it's pretty fantastic TV.

It's so good, I don't know why more people don't talk about it.

Each episode is produced like a full movie.

Yes!

It's a touch science fiction, a touch drama.  Pretty awesome acting all around and great writing.
I’ve been hand waving about this series since the first episode, sometimes on this very thread. We’ll renew our Prime membership for season 4.

Meanwhile, we finished The Gentlemen and as I previously noted, if you set your brain to Guy Ritchie, it’s a fun caper. I watched it one episode at a time because two in a row made the implausible nonsense build up too high but I could accept one episodes worth of nonsense at a time. Also I have a weakness for stylish no-nonsense brunettes so Susie Glass was a treat.

All I see is Effie from Skins when I see Kaya Scodelario

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3201 on: March 24, 2024, 07:57:45 AM »
I recently watched Warrior on Netflix.  San Francisco Chinatown, violence, crime, sex.  It was pretty good if you like that type of show. 

There's a new season of Blacklist.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3202 on: March 26, 2024, 12:51:21 PM »
I finally got to watch 2 out of 8 episodes of 3 Body Problem on Netflix.  I've written a decent amount about the original (and superior) Chinese version 3 Body that can be watched on Prime and Peacock.  Exactly as expected--- take a thoughtful and serious work, remove the science from the science fiction, strip out a good bit of logic, fabricate some unnecessary drama, and Hollywoodize the characters.  Bah humbug!

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3203 on: March 26, 2024, 01:18:34 PM »
Watching Kelsey Grammar in Boss. Pretty impressed so far.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #3204 on: March 27, 2024, 01:00:12 AM »
Quite liked Feud: Bette and Joan (Hulu)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3205 on: March 27, 2024, 04:55:32 AM »
Alone Australia series 2 began tonight. We correctly identified the first to leave *buffs nails*. They are on the SW coast of New Zealand's south island and it's wet and miserable, very like the early seasons of the US Alone, when they were on Vancouver Island.

Happy Valley Series 3 finally came to free-to-air in Aus and it's as miserable and depressing as I'd hoped! DH hates it.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3206 on: March 27, 2024, 07:14:31 AM »
I finally got to watch 2 out of 8 episodes of 3 Body Problem on Netflix.  I've written a decent amount about the original (and superior) Chinese version 3 Body that can be watched on Prime and Peacock.  Exactly as expected--- take a thoughtful and serious work, remove the science from the science fiction, strip out a good bit of logic, fabricate some unnecessary drama, and Hollywoodize the characters.  Bah humbug!

I take the more pragmatic approach.  Mainstream audiences were never going to suddenly 'find' 3 Body Problem, but now that a more accessible '3 Body lite' is out there, it will pull more people in and reinvigorate the universe.  I'm enjoying how one story can be envisioned so differently and look forward to going back to the original as well as listening to an Audible reading of the original first book...  There needs to be a word for this trend, like 'Dune-ification'...

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3207 on: March 27, 2024, 08:56:08 AM »
Alone Australia series 2 began tonight. We correctly identified the first to leave *buffs nails*. They are on the SW coast of New Zealand's south island and it's wet and miserable, very like the early seasons of the US Alone, when they were on Vancouver Island.

Happy Valley Series 3 finally came to free-to-air in Aus and it's as miserable and depressing as I'd hoped! DH hates it.

Finally got my wife into watching Alone and we started from the beginning...so we've just watched the first two seasons; both on Vancouver Island

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3208 on: March 27, 2024, 03:38:57 PM »

Finally got my wife into watching Alone and we started from the beginning...so we've just watched the first two seasons; both on Vancouver Island

The first seasons were great, it was more like Bill, accountant from Philadelphia, than Bob, survival training expert from Alaska. Loved the winner of the first series but there was a lot of time sat in the shelter out of the rain.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3209 on: March 27, 2024, 05:54:47 PM »

I take the more pragmatic approach.  Mainstream audiences were never going to suddenly 'find' 3 Body Problem, but now that a more accessible '3 Body lite' is out there, it will pull more people in and reinvigorate the universe.  I'm enjoying how one story can be envisioned so differently and look forward to going back to the original as well as listening to an Audible reading of the original first book...  There needs to be a word for this trend, like 'Dune-ification'...

Well said.  Dune-ification!  I'm just a cup half empty kinda guy I suppose.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3210 on: March 28, 2024, 09:43:39 AM »

I've been watching the Netflix adaptation. I didn't realize there was an original Chinese version, I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tip!

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3211 on: March 28, 2024, 03:51:30 PM »

Well said.  Dune-ification!  I'm just a cup half empty kinda guy I suppose.

Douglas Adam’s changed The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy for three different formats, radio, television And movie. Maybe more I don’t remember. But I remember him saying stories are supposed to change at each telling.

hooplady

• Stubble
« Reply #3212 on: March 28, 2024, 04:00:05 PM »
Recently watched The Brothers Sun on Netflix. Really enjoyed it, the fight scenes were top notch. A few weeks ago watched Beef on the same network. So, apparently Asian comedy-dramas are my thing now...not a bad thing.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3213 on: March 28, 2024, 06:59:51 PM »
Recently watched The Brothers Sun on Netflix. Really enjoyed it, the fight scenes were top notch. A few weeks ago watched Beef on the same network. So, apparently Asian comedy-dramas are my thing now...not a bad thing.

I'm really enjoying The Brothers Sun, it's remarkably fun

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3214 on: March 29, 2024, 06:53:51 AM »

I've had it bookmarked.  Sounds like I should watch it next. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3215 on: April 05, 2024, 08:04:59 AM »
Giving up on the 3 Body Problem. The golden age of tv is over.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3216 on: April 05, 2024, 10:06:35 AM »

There's tons of great shows still out there, but Netflix's 3 Body Problem is not one of them.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3217 on: April 05, 2024, 12:35:08 PM »

There's tons of great shows still out there, but Netflix's 3 Body Problem is not one of them.

The last great show was Severance and maybe Patriot.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3218 on: April 05, 2024, 01:23:00 PM »

Patriot is orders of magnitude better than Severance, IMO. Patriot is downright Shakespearean level comedy.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #3219 on: April 05, 2024, 05:22:35 PM »

Severance is still ongoing. Season 2 should drop later this year or early 2025. The Bear is one of the best shows currently in production -- I can't wait for season 3. Ripley on Netflix looks interesting. Some people think Shogun is the best thing ever, though I haven't watched it yet. I don't think the golden age of TV is over quite yet. More like in a long, gradual decline.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3220 on: April 05, 2024, 09:09:43 PM »

Please, please try the original Chinese version.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3221 on: April 06, 2024, 06:14:26 AM »

I would but thanks to MMM I have dropped Amazon Prime.
Started Mr Ripley last night. Beautiful cinematography.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3222 on: April 06, 2024, 08:52:03 AM »

I would but thanks to MMM I have dropped Amazon Prime.
Started Mr Ripley last night. Beautiful cinematography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptB7W8L5L-U

This is just the thing for you---- There's an edited version now available that removes some of the slow moving unnecessary parts of the original Chinese 3 Body.  It's still very long, with 26 episodes at about 45 minutes each.  You can watch the first few of them on Youtube for free.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3223 on: April 06, 2024, 11:18:26 AM »
Just started season 4 of The Wire.

I'm already nervous about feeling bummed when I finish the last season. I always feel like there will never be another compelling series and yet somehow I always find one. We abandoned The Bear season 2 (which we really liked) to watch the Wire so I'm sure we can at least jump back to that for a bit while we search for something else.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3224 on: April 06, 2024, 12:26:50 PM »

I'm already nervous about feeling bummed when I finish the last season. I always feel like there will never be another compelling series and yet somehow I always find one. We abandoned The Bear season 2 (which we really liked) to watch the Wire so I'm sure we can at least jump back to that for a bit while we search for something else.

There are a few series as compelling as The Wire, but not many.

You know, I have only watched The Wire one time. I am savoring the idea of watching it for a second time. I wonder how much of it will be spoiled now that I know all of those actors much better and frankly, I know one of them died in real life.  Oy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 09:15:27 AM by iris lily »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3225 on: April 06, 2024, 11:21:30 PM »
We just finished the most recent season of Fargo. It was fantastic.

If you aren't familiar, every season of Fargo is a stand-alone story.  Very little overlap between the seasons.  This most recent season I don't think had any overlap at all with earlier seasons.

Anyway, each season is unique and great.

I'm almost done with Foundation's newest season, and I've been enjoying that.

I plan to watch Echo (gotta keep up with the MCU), and Shogun next.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3226 on: April 07, 2024, 11:04:34 AM »

If you aren't familiar, every season of Fargo is a stand-alone story.  Very little overlap between the seasons.  This most recent season I don't think had any overlap at all with earlier seasons.

Echo is unfathomably bad. Truly unwatchable.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #3227 on: April 07, 2024, 12:51:46 PM »

You know, I have only watched The Wire one time. I am savoring the idea of watching it for a second time. I wonder how much of it will be spoiled now that I know all of those actors much better and frankly, I know one of them died in real life.  Oy.

I really enjoyed The Wire second time round, certainly turning on subtitles makes a huge difference.

Kind of mind blowing seeing Idris Elba as a Baltimore gangster, now that he has done so much.  Jamie Hector will never find a more suitable character than Marlo Stanfield - at time was painful watching him in Bosch, but the script takes some of the blame for that.

Lance Riddick also recently passed. 

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3228 on: April 07, 2024, 01:51:09 PM »

As my wife and friends all point out, I somehow manage to enjoy just about every show or movie I watch.  I can almost always find things to appreciate about any film or show.  It’s pretty common for me to say, “Oh, I saw that and really enjoyed it.” For others to respond, “really?  Even with this, that, and the other bad part?”  I guess so.  Maybe I’m just easy to please.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3229 on: April 08, 2024, 06:35:34 AM »

As my wife and friends all point out, I somehow manage to enjoy just about every show or movie I watch.  I can almost always find things to appreciate about any film or show.  It’s pretty common for me to say, “Oh, I saw that and really enjoyed it.” For others to respond, “really?  Even with this, that, and the other bad part?”  I guess so.  Maybe I’m just easy to please.

That is a very beneficial ability to have, I do not have it and Echo actively enraged me.

The fact that they made a show with a disabled, Indigenous woman super hero and then made is so unbelievably, unwatchably bad really upset me.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3230 on: April 08, 2024, 08:24:33 AM »

I really enjoyed The Wire second time round, certainly turning on subtitles makes a huge difference.

Kind of mind blowing seeing Idris Elba as a Baltimore gangster, now that he has done so much.  Jamie Hector will never find a more suitable character than Marlo Stanfield - at time was painful watching him in Bosch, but the script takes some of the blame for that.

Lance Riddick also recently passed.

I KNOW! I was so surprised to learn the elegant drug boss Stringer Bell is an English gentleman. But then, appropriate.And Dominic West, also English. That was a big surprise, too.

R.I.P Michael Williams. A man’s gotta have a code.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 08:26:07 AM by iris lily »

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3231 on: April 09, 2024, 07:22:51 AM »

This is me too. I try to never take any show too seriously and view it for what it is...entertainment. I've enjoyed several shows that many here hate, and mildly disliked many that people here love, but got enjoyment out of them all anyway.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3232 on: April 09, 2024, 08:00:50 AM »
This is me too. I try to never take any show too seriously and view it for what it is...entertainment. I've enjoyed several shows that many here hate, and mildly disliked many that people here love, but got enjoyment out of them all anyway.

Exactly.  There is always something to appreciate.  Lots of people put in a lot of hard work to make any move happen.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3233 on: April 09, 2024, 08:41:59 AM »

Exactly.  There is always something to appreciate.  Lots of people put in a lot of hard work to make any move happen.

Huh.  Are you the two people who enjoyed watching Velma?

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3234 on: April 09, 2024, 08:57:23 AM »

I'm like this, too. In the words of Frank O'Hara:

I'd have the immediacy of a bad movie,
not just a sleeper, but also the big,
overproduced first-run kind. I want to be
at least as alive as the vulgar.

I can appreciate the difference between the really good stuff and the "overproduced first-run kind," but most of the time, I think, why cut myself off from enjoying what I can?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3235 on: April 09, 2024, 09:26:01 AM »

I'm kind of fascinated by this because I'm wildly intolerant of entertainment that takes effort or patience for me to appreciate. I would literally rather clean my bathroom or stare at a tree for an hour. I've been known to bail on a book if the first page isn't engaging enough.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3236 on: April 09, 2024, 09:38:00 AM »

I actually skipped that one.  Only so much time in the day, and that didn't make the cut.

I'm kind of fascinated by this because I'm wildly intolerant of entertainment that takes effort or patience for me to appreciate. I would literally rather clean my bathroom or stare at a tree for an hour. I've been known to bail on a book if the first page isn't engaging enough.

It's like leaving a baseball game early to beat traffic.  I'm the guy that will sit in the stands until the last out, and even feel good about the experience if my team got blown out.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3237 on: April 09, 2024, 09:56:04 AM »

I actually skipped that one.  Only so much time in the day, and that didn't make the cut.

It's like leaving a baseball game early to beat traffic.  I'm the guy that will sit in the stands until the last out, and even feel good about the experience if my team got blown out.

Kind of? I assume someone would only go to a baseball game if they enjoy watching baseball. A more accurate comparison would be if someone talked me into going to a baseball game, I go by myself to try it, I realize I find it boring as fuck, and leave before the first inning is over.

If I enjoy baseball enough to make it to the last inning, I'm going to watch the entire game. The same way that if I like a show enough to get to the last episode, I'm going to watch the last episode.

But if I don't like it from the jump, I'm not going to push myself to try and find something to appreciate about it, I'm just going to walk away and do something else.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #3238 on: April 09, 2024, 10:49:19 AM »
TV is so subjective, it seems to make sense that every show will appeal to somebody, somewhere.

There is always going to be that section of the crowd, "The Wire is overrated", "Better Call Saul is boring", etc.  I often wonder what these people watch, and would not be surprised it is the shows that I think are terrible.  To be sure, some of the recommendations I see on this board from otherwise intelligent people are curious to say the least.

And I know there are shows that are objectively mediocre but I enjoy them anyway due to some combination of genre, cast, dialogue, scenery that happens to fit my eye.  But then I check it out on imdb and see that it got a 6.9 - so I accept that fact that I am in the minority and enjoy it anyway.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3239 on: April 09, 2024, 11:28:16 AM »
TV is so subjective, it seems to make sense that every show will appeal to somebody, somewhere.

There is always going to be that section of the crowd, "The Wire is overrated", "Better Call Saul is boring", etc.  I often wonder what these people watch, and would not be surprised it is the shows that I think are terrible.  To be sure, some of the recommendations I see on this board from otherwise intelligent people are curious to say the least.

And I know there are shows that are objectively mediocre but I enjoy them anyway due to some combination of genre, cast, dialogue, scenery that happens to fit my eye.  But then I check it out on imdb and see that it got a 6.9 - so I accept that fact that I am in the minority and enjoy it anyway.

Wouldn't a 6.9 suggest that the majority of people liked it reasonably enough??

I find I like a lot of stuff in the 70% range on Rotten Tomatoes.

My point also wasn't that I only like things that are popular, I like plenty of stuff that other hate or find stupid. But if I don't immediately like it, there's no amount of effort that the creators put in that will make me appreciate it.

I don't have the capacity to appreciate a show for some element if the big picture doesn't appeal to me. So I'm kind of fascinated by multiple people saying they can. It's neat, I'm not judging, I'm just confused by it.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3240 on: April 09, 2024, 12:01:35 PM »
I binge-watched Mr. & Mrs. Smith on Amazon this weekend while doing some projects. I wasn't super tuned in, but as a relationship drama, oof, it got me in all the feels.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3241 on: April 09, 2024, 12:32:30 PM »

My point also wasn't that I only like things that are popular, I like plenty of stuff that other hate or find stupid. But if I don't immediately like it, there's no amount of effort that the creators put in that will make me appreciate it.

I don't have the capacity to appreciate a show for some element if the big picture doesn't appeal to me. So I'm kind of fascinated by multiple people saying they can. It's neat, I'm not judging, I'm just confused by it.

I don't watch anything under 90% on RT. And even then I find I can't tolerate it.
Ripley so far is scoring big with me. Creepy.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3242 on: April 09, 2024, 12:42:08 PM »

I don't watch anything under 90% on RT. And even then I find I can't tolerate it.

That's funny, I've actively started avoiding 90%+ RT rated movies in particular. A 90%+ seems to pretty consistently indicate these days that the movie will be slow, and I have a near-total intolerance of slow movies.

I don't actually have the best taste in TV and movies, I'm not a snob, I just don't like what I don't like and cannot force myself to try and appreciate it no matter how "stunning" the visuals or how "incredible" the sound editing or whatever. I cannot appreciate film/TV for its component parts, it either works for me as a whole package or it doesn't, at all, and I turn it off.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3243 on: April 09, 2024, 01:41:35 PM »

I've heard good things about it, and I adore Andrew Scott. So it's going on my list.

Right now I've just started watching The Bear. So far I'm finding it... stressful. It's good, probably? But I'm not really enjoying it. Not sure how many episodes to give it. I've watched 3 so far.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3244 on: April 09, 2024, 01:47:46 PM »
Right now I've just started watching The Bear. So far I'm finding it... stressful.

It's so stressful!

The Christmas episode in season 2 is just one long argument. My dog always got upset during arguments, and I could tell it was even stressing her out.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3245 on: April 09, 2024, 09:19:06 PM »

I've heard good things about it, and I adore Andrew Scott. So it's going on my list.

Right now I've just started watching The Bear. So far I'm finding it... stressful. It's good, probably? But I'm not really enjoying it. Not sure how many episodes to give it. I've watched 3 so far.

The Bear season 2 is about as beautiful as television gets. The quiet moments offset all the crazy of season 1.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3246 on: April 09, 2024, 09:23:32 PM »
As you might have guessed, I loved The Bear :D

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3247 on: April 10, 2024, 06:02:49 AM »

I don't particularly love The Bear. I used to be a chef and I find it just okay. I watched season 1 ages ago and don't really remember much about it, and haven't felt terribly motivated to watch season 2.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3248 on: April 10, 2024, 07:55:52 PM »
Ripley is  great. Episode 5, my goodness. I read a review that said it's not really a thriller, it's a gothic and I think I agree. The visuals are an absolute treat and Andrew Scott is so good.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3249 on: April 10, 2024, 09:13:33 PM »
We watched the first EPs of Ripley and Sugar last night. They are a lot of similarities so they started to blur together so we will finish one then restart the other. I loved Ripley, it's a picture book. I liked Sugar too. In the 80s there were loads of PI type shows but you don't see them so often now, eh? I guess it's easier to track people down.