Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 739039 times)

charis

• Magnum Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #2800 on: June 18, 2023, 08:21:27 PM »
We didn’t try the second season of Russian Doll mostly because the first one was so perfect and satisfying that I didn’t want to be disappointed if the second one ruined the taste.

No spoilers anywhere but I loved that Succession finished the way it did. What a banger.

May 28: final episode of Succession dropped
May 29: I signed up for HBO
May 29 & 30: binged all ten episodes

Yes, it was a good resolution, in keeping with the tone of the entire series.

i purposely stayed away from ANY internet discussion of Succession over these past few months, I love it that much.

I finally finished the show, and I have mixed feelings about the final episode.  No real spoiler, but

Spoiler: show
I came away feeling empty.  I usually watch each episode twice, so I'll have to do that and reassess whether it's because of the finale or the show ending.  It was a long episode during which I felt that not enough "Succession-y" stuff happened.  The ending was correct, so to speak, but the Tom/Shiv piece didn't land for me

I liked the final episode and I feel the emptiness was intentional.  There was an interview with the creator on Fresh Air that gave an in depth look to his thinking about the characters and what happened in the finale.  I read someplace else (or maybe covered in the interview) about Shiv and Tom's relationship conclusion and think it made a lot of sense.  https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2023/06/05/1179595312/fresh-air-for-june-5-2023-succession-creator-jesse-armstrong

edited to add---
  During the vote, Shiv decides the way to maintain any influence is to for the buyout to occur with Tom as CEO.  He's a 'yes' man, so as his wife with more clout, she can hopefully steer some of his decisions within the company.  The hand almost on hand, but not hand holding, in the car symbolize their union but that they're not in love.  Maybe this is what you've already understood, and you just don't agree with it.

I fully understand the ending with Tom and Shiv, it just didn't work for me, for a couple of reasons.

I'm curious why?

I personally loved the Tom and Shiv ending.

It would have sat poorly with me if they had ended up divorced, because they've established with so much, including the mother that being married to men they don't like or respect is just their norm, and Shiv hasn't had much personal growth, so there's not enough to make her actually change that pattern.

It would have also sat poorly with me if they ended up happy because they're both terrible people who are incapable of vulnerability.

Basically, the only path forward I saw for them was to stay together and be miserable, but I couldn't see how that was plausible unless Tom won all the marbles in the end and gave her a reason to decide he was valuable enough.

Shiv says Tom will pretty suck the dick of whomever is in power, but the thing is, so will Shiv most of the time.

ETA: oops, fucked up my spoiler box

I didn't dislike the ending but I didn't really buy it.

The boardroom revelation drama felt a bit contrived, neat, and almost schmaltzy.  I get that they couldn't telegraph who would scuttle the deal (it obviously had to be one of the siblings), so Roman was the red herring.  I think they tried laying the groundwork with Shiv's call to Tom about making a go of things and him being undecided. I guess honestly it was mostly her, and them, in the car that didn't land for me.  It felt out of character. Which I suppose was the point of that moment, a transfer of power, a new dynamic.  I'm sure I'll come around after watching it again, but I personally felt too little build to that moment.  It didn't live up to the caliber of story telling that I had grown accustomed to with this show.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 08:28:53 PM by charis »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2801 on: June 19, 2023, 05:21:36 AM »
We didn’t try the second season of Russian Doll mostly because the first one was so perfect and satisfying that I didn’t want to be disappointed if the second one ruined the taste.

No spoilers anywhere but I loved that Succession finished the way it did. What a banger.

i purposely stayed away from ANY internet discussion of Succession over these past few months, I love it that much.

I finally finished the show, and I have mixed feelings about the final episode.  No real spoiler, but

I came away feeling empty.  I usually watch each episode twice, so I'll have to do that and reassess whether it's because of the finale or the show ending.  It was a long episode during which I felt that not enough "Succession-y" stuff happened.  The ending was correct, so to speak, but the Tom/Shiv piece didn't land for me

I liked the final episode and I feel the emptiness was intentional.  There was an interview with the creator on Fresh Air that gave an in depth look to his thinking about the characters and what happened in the finale.  I read someplace else (or maybe covered in the interview) about Shiv and Tom's relationship conclusion and think it made a lot of sense.  https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2023/06/05/1179595312/fresh-air-for-june-5-2023-succession-creator-jesse-armstrong

edited to add---
  During the vote, Shiv decides the way to maintain any influence is to for the buyout to occur with Tom as CEO.  He's a 'yes' man, so as his wife with more clout, she can hopefully steer some of his decisions within the company.  The hand almost on hand, but not hand holding, in the car symbolize their union but that they're not in love.  Maybe this is what you've already understood, and you just don't agree with it.

I fully understand the ending with Tom and Shiv, it just didn't work for me, for a couple of reasons.

I'm curious why?

It would have sat poorly with me if they had ended up divorced, because they've established with so much, including the mother that being married to men they don't like or respect is just their norm, and Shiv hasn't had much personal growth, so there's not enough to make her actually change that pattern.

It would have also sat poorly with me if they ended up happy because they're both terrible people who are incapable of vulnerability.

Basically, the only path forward I saw for them was to stay together and be miserable, but I couldn't see how that was plausible unless Tom won all the marbles in the end and gave her a reason to decide he was valuable enough.

Shiv says Tom will pretty suck the dick of whomever is in power, but the thing is, so will Shiv most of the time.

The boardroom revelation drama felt a bit contrived, neat, and almost schmaltzy.  I get that they couldn't telegraph who would scuttle the deal (it obviously had to be one of the siblings), so Roman was the red herring.  I think they tried laying the groundwork with Shiv's call to Tom about making a go of things and him being undecided. I guess honestly it was mostly her, and them, in the car that didn't land for me.  It felt out of character. Which I suppose was the point of that moment, a transfer of power, a new dynamic.  I'm sure I'll come around after watching it again, but I personally felt too little build to that moment.  It didn't live up to the caliber of story telling that I had grown accustomed to with this show.

Oh interesting, because I felt they laid the groundwork for it with the whole story of the mom marrying the guy she doesn't like. It was such a weird plot point to throw in, I remember thinking that it meant that Shiv was going to end up with Tom no matter how much she disliked him, because this is what they do. Then they started making them actually fall in love and I was "oop, guess I was wrong about that one" so when the ending happened I was thinking "yeah, that's more what I was expecting"

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2802 on: June 19, 2023, 09:59:55 AM »

edited to add---

I'm curious why?

Oh interesting, because I felt they laid the groundwork for it with the whole story of the mom marrying the guy she doesn't like. It was such a weird plot point to throw in, I remember thinking that it meant that Shiv was going to end up with Tom no matter how much she disliked him, because this is what they do. Then they started making them actually fall in love and I was "oop, guess I was wrong about that one" so when the ending happened I was thinking "yeah, that's more what I was expecting"

That's interesting.  I see parallels between Caroline and Shiv's relationships, but I never thought that Caroline disliked her husband so much as felt contempt for him, and herself for marrying someone beneath her.  Which of course Shiv also feels for Tom, but I understood her to actually respect him in some ways.  And love him as well, despite her attempts to be above "love," as Logan was and expected of his children. That's why she felt so betrayed by Tom (both times).  I suspect that she would have voted with the family if she wasn't pregnant.  That seemed like part of the calculation going on in her head when she left the room.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2803 on: June 19, 2023, 04:55:47 PM »
I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm watching 'The Idol'.  I just ... can't .... stop...  HELP ME!!!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2804 on: June 19, 2023, 05:51:27 PM »
We've started Normal People and it's really well done so far.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2805 on: June 19, 2023, 05:58:48 PM »
I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm watching 'The Idol'.  I just ... can't .... stop...  HELP ME!!!

I strongly recommend therapy, this can only be a sign of substantial psychological pathology.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2806 on: June 19, 2023, 07:33:35 PM »

I strongly recommend therapy, this can only be a sign of substantial psychological pathology.

I will take that under advisement ....  after one more episode...  I mean, maybe there will be a redeeming quality soon?  There must be a reason why I'm doing this.  There has to be a reason why THEY did THIS!?!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2807 on: June 19, 2023, 09:23:12 PM »
We've started Normal People and it's really well done so far.

I like it. We've watched 3 episodes but I'm watching the rest of my own. Two quotes from Mr F: "It's just watching school kids having sex" and "it's one of those ones where nothing happens ..it's about relationships"

There's a lot of good Irish stuff right now. Just finished Clean Sweep, a crime thriller on SBS. And Bloodlands was good also. We watch a lot of crime.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2808 on: June 19, 2023, 09:27:04 PM »
@Fresh Bread we just finished the second episode - I love Connell’s mum and her refusal to make excuses for him being an f-boy.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2809 on: June 20, 2023, 04:33:36 AM »

I will take that under advisement ....  after one more episode...  I mean, maybe there will be a redeeming quality soon?  There must be a reason why I'm doing this.  There has to be a reason why THEY did THIS!?!

That thinking is part of the pathology...

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2810 on: June 20, 2023, 08:02:15 AM »
"Endeavour" the long-running detective series from BBC.  This is the last season, darn it!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2811 on: June 20, 2023, 09:54:19 AM »
"Endeavour" the long-running detective series from BBC.  This is the last season, darn it!

This is the prequel to Inspector Morse, right?

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2812 on: June 22, 2023, 08:10:08 AM »

Yes.  And I hope to see Shaun Evans in other acting roles soon, although he'll always have my heart as DI Morse.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2813 on: June 23, 2023, 06:50:39 AM »
Wife has been listening to the Smartless podcast and we started watching the MAX version last night...just hilarious

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2814 on: June 23, 2023, 07:37:31 AM »

Yes.  And I hope to see Shaun Evans in other acting roles soon, although he'll always have my heart as DI Morse.

Used to watch the old Inspector Morse and Lewis series, so this is a bittersweet ending. Watched the first episode of the 9th and final season last night on PBS.

Also finished watching Dahaad on Prime video, series from India, based on a IRL serial killer who preyed on poor, low-caste women, for marriage. Lots of social themes weaved throughout. Wife was hooked, so I think that's a win.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2815 on: June 26, 2023, 07:25:39 AM »
I'm sure this was mentioned on here before but we just finished "1883".  I'd almost say it was better than "Yellowstone".   Starting "1923" now but friends have all said it was the one they least liked so not sure where I'll land.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2816 on: June 26, 2023, 08:02:31 AM »
On Netflix, 'Eva Lasting' was very enjoyable.  There are 13 episodes and supposedly will have a second season coming.  Its from Colombia (English subtitles), comedy/drama, set in the 1970's, focused largely on the love story of two teens.  Eva becomes the first female student at an all boy school and completely disrupts everything, bringing new ideas and challenging the status quo.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2817 on: June 27, 2023, 03:54:17 PM »
Both DW and I are enjoying FUBAR an eight-episode action-comedy.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2818 on: June 27, 2023, 04:09:26 PM »
We just finished Normal People last night. I’m glad they went with half hour episodes because man, some of them were super heavy and 30 minutes was as much as was doable. Just really good at capturing that transitional confusion and growth, plus the allure of shiny uni friends who aren’t actually Good People.

The other series we are watching is Deadloch which is a comedy-noir set in small town Tasmania. There were a couple of teeth-clenching grating moments in the fullest few episodes but we’re fully committed to finding out who the murderer is now.

Jade

• Pencil Stache
  • UK
« Reply #2819 on: June 28, 2023, 03:31:56 AM »
We just finished Normal People last night. I’m glad they went with half hour episodes because man, some of them were super heavy and 30 minutes was as much as was doable. Just really good at capturing that transitional confusion and growth, plus the allure of shiny uni friends who aren’t actually Good People.

The other series we are watching is Deadloch which is a comedy-noir set in small town Tasmania. There were a couple of teeth-clenching grating moments in the fullest few episodes but we’re fully committed to finding out who the murderer is now.

I really like Normal People too! Nice to see a thoughtful and sensitive portrayal of teens. I'm in the UK so not sure if I can get Deadloch, but will try.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2820 on: June 28, 2023, 06:09:36 AM »
Joe Pickett on Paramount +

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2821 on: June 29, 2023, 04:51:23 PM »
I'm enjoying Strange New Worlds Season 2. I was hoping that it wouldn't disappoint after a great first season, and so far it hasn't! It is still really capturing the spirit of old school Star Trek.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2822 on: June 29, 2023, 05:31:56 PM »
Just started Hijack, the new Idris Elba thriller series. I'll watch anything with him in, but I'm hooked.

I'm watching Normal People on SBS so it's week to week episode releases for me.  I'm only up to ep 6, but loving it. 

Working Moms is my guilty pleasure, I can't believe we're on series 7 but I guess it's other people's guilty pleasure too.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2823 on: June 29, 2023, 09:09:14 PM »
The third and final season of Happy Valley has finally been released in the US (AMC+/Acorn TV). It's been something like 7 years since the second season was originally released. They have a good reason for the long wait -- they wanted the young son whose father is a killer to be close to adulthood for the final season and the seven year gap allowed the actor the time to grow into an adult (he's now 18). Anyway, about halfway through the final season and it's pretty good, although not as good as the first season which was absolutely outstanding.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2824 on: June 30, 2023, 06:14:28 AM »
I'm enjoying Strange New Worlds Season 2. I was hoping that it wouldn't disappoint after a great first season, and so far it hasn't! It is still really capturing the spirit of old school Star Trek.

Absolutely still loving SNW season 2. I've heard some grumbling and groaning about it, but I've enjoyed every episode so far. Really liked episode three in terms of it's impact on major events from canon and how it keeps the spirit of the show alive now and possibly long into the future

Jade

• Pencil Stache
  • UK
« Reply #2825 on: July 01, 2023, 12:31:09 AM »
The third and final season of Happy Valley has finally been released in the US (AMC+/Acorn TV). It's been something like 7 years since the second season was originally released. They have a good reason for the long wait -- they wanted the young son whose father is a killer to be close to adulthood for the final season and the seven year gap allowed the actor the time to grow into an adult (he's now 18). Anyway, about halfway through the final season and it's pretty good, although not as good as the first season which was absolutely outstanding.

Happy Valley is great. It was well spaced out for the story. Enjoy the final season!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2826 on: July 01, 2023, 03:03:08 PM »
I like From . . . watched the first seasons so far and it's a cool setup of an intriguing story with decent characters.  My concern as I watch is that it feels a little bit like Lost - in that I suspect that the writers have come up with some cool ideas by throwing darts at the wall, but don't have any overarching plans to tie up all the stuff that they're coming up with.  Guess we'll see.

Jade

• Pencil Stache
  • UK
« Reply #2827 on: July 06, 2023, 05:16:06 AM »
Anyone seen Made for love?

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2828 on: July 06, 2023, 07:52:06 AM »

I started it but didn't finish it. I read the book and found it enjoyable, but the series wasn't holding my attention.

Jade

• Pencil Stache
  • UK
« Reply #2829 on: July 06, 2023, 10:13:39 AM »

I started it but didn't finish it. I read the book and found it enjoyable, but the series wasn't holding my attention.

I didn't realise there's a book Watchmaker . I'm enjoying the series so far but hadn't heard of it before I found it the other day.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2830 on: July 06, 2023, 11:53:26 AM »

I didn't realise there's a book Watchmaker . I'm enjoying the series so far but hadn't heard of it before I found it the other day.

Written by Alyssa Nutting. If you like the show I'm pretty sure you'll like the book, and they are different enough to make reading and watching worthwhile.

Jade

• Pencil Stache
  • UK
« Reply #2831 on: July 08, 2023, 04:20:59 AM »

Written by Alyssa Nutting. If you like the show I'm pretty sure you'll like the book, and they are different enough to make reading and watching worthwhile.

I'll check that out, thanks!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2832 on: July 08, 2023, 04:33:48 AM »
Deadloch stuck the landing and I really hope there’s a second season.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2833 on: July 08, 2023, 12:21:21 PM »
Ugh, the last Jack Ryan series is terrible!  They have become so lazy.  If the characters didn't actually say 'oh no, I'm in danger, I'm going to die' I wouldn't even know they were supposed to be in danger!  And instead of any difficult 'how are we going to pull this off', they just seem to know where to go, magically get exactly what they need, find the head bad guy, and don't even have to scare them to get the precious 'intel' and 'globe destroying weapon'...  I'm definitely hate watching at this point.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2834 on: July 08, 2023, 04:37:36 PM »
Ugh, the last Jack Ryan series is terrible!  They have become so lazy.  If the characters didn't actually say 'oh no, I'm in danger, I'm going to die' I wouldn't even know they were supposed to be in danger!  And instead of any difficult 'how are we going to pull this off', they just seem to know where to go, magically get exactly what they need, find the head bad guy, and don't even have to scare them to get the precious 'intel' and 'globe destroying weapon'...  I'm definitely hate watching at this point.

In hindsight only season 1 was good. I couldn't even finish season 3.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2835 on: July 08, 2023, 06:48:51 PM »
I'm watching Love & Death on Crave and it's very, very watchable.

It's apparently a true story, and so far I have no idea what the true story is beyond the fact that it's about an American small town in the late 70s where someone (multiple people?) gets brutally murdered.

I'm only a few episodes in and it's only been about two married people having an affair (not a spoiler, this is, like, the first development in the whole plot).

So the only thing I've seen so far is this affair and the interactions of the couples involved, and it's fantastically watchable.

It stars Elizabeth Olsen and Jesse Plemons and they're both just killing it in these roles. Y'know when you can tell that an actor is having fun in a role? Well these are roles where it just oozes from them that they're having a great time embodying these characters.

Jesse Plemons does that often because he picks amazing roles. I don't know how, but he's really found a niche in these delightfully awkward, clever roles.

But Olsen, who is always pretty great, is just in her element. I honestly don't even care at this point who gets murdered or who commits the murders. I could probably just watch an entire series of these two having an affair, talking about their affair, working out the logistics of their affair, etc.

I'm sure they'll also be great once the killing starts, but either way, they're just entertaining as hell no matter who is alive or dead.

It remains to be seen if the show itself is brilliant or not. For that, I'll need to see how the whole murder plot plays out. But for now, it's just a delight to watch.

I really hope Olsen and Plemons do more projects together. I could watch them talk about pretty much anything.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2836 on: July 09, 2023, 12:37:00 PM »
The Bear season 2 is getting a lot of attention and deservedly so IMHO.  All the ensemble does a terrific job, Jamie Lee Curtis is freaking outstanding, and there were times I was literally holding my breath with apprehension/anxiety/tension in a good and satisfying way. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2837 on: July 09, 2023, 07:16:01 PM »
The Bear season 2 is getting a lot of attention and deservedly so IMHO.  All the ensemble does a terrific job, Jamie Lee Curtis is freaking outstanding, and there were times I was literally holding my breath with apprehension/anxiety/tension in a good and satisfying way.

I kinda want more kitchen yelling and less renovation yelling.  :P

Jade

• Pencil Stache
  • UK
« Reply #2838 on: July 10, 2023, 05:44:17 AM »
I'm watching Love & Death on Crave and it's very, very watchable.

It's apparently a true story, and so far I have no idea what the true story is beyond the fact that it's about an American small town in the late 70s where someone (multiple people?) gets brutally murdered.

I'm only a few episodes in and it's only been about two married people having an affair (not a spoiler, this is, like, the first development in the whole plot).

So the only thing I've seen so far is this affair and the interactions of the couples involved, and it's fantastically watchable.

It stars Elizabeth Olsen and Jesse Plemons and they're both just killing it in these roles. Y'know when you can tell that an actor is having fun in a role? Well these are roles where it just oozes from them that they're having a great time embodying these characters.

Jesse Plemons does that often because he picks amazing roles. I don't know how, but he's really found a niche in these delightfully awkward, clever roles.

But Olsen, who is always pretty great, is just in her element. I honestly don't even care at this point who gets murdered or who commits the murders. I could probably just watch an entire series of these two having an affair, talking about their affair, working out the logistics of their affair, etc.

I'm sure they'll also be great once the killing starts, but either way, they're just entertaining as hell no matter who is alive or dead.

It remains to be seen if the show itself is brilliant or not. For that, I'll need to see how the whole murder plot plays out. But for now, it's just a delight to watch.

I really hope Olsen and Plemons do more projects together. I could watch them talk about pretty much anything.

That sounds good. I really like Elizabeth Olsen. She was also great in 'sorry for your loss'. I looked it up and apparently it'll be on itvx in the UK in the autumn so I'll put a reminder for myself.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2839 on: July 11, 2023, 01:10:46 PM »
I finally caught up with Colin From Accounts on a recent trip home - very funny, reminds me lot of Catastrophe, and little of You're the Worst.  But hard to keep these kinds of shows fresh past a season or two.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2840 on: July 13, 2023, 07:23:58 AM »
Finished season 1 of 'Big Door Prize' on AppleTV last night. I liked the concept of it but the show was weak. I hoped there wouldn't be a season 2 but they ended with a cliff hanger.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2841 on: July 13, 2023, 08:30:10 AM »
Finished season 1 of 'Big Door Prize' on AppleTV last night. I liked the concept of it but the show was weak. I hoped there wouldn't be a season 2 but they ended with a cliff hanger.

I know, it was an interesting idea and could've made for an interesting single season, but trying to make it in to a more grand conspiracy at the end of the season was a big let down.  I don't think I'll be back for more.  Instead I'll listen to the audiobook and call it a day.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2842 on: July 13, 2023, 06:28:13 PM »
I'm watching Love & Death on Crave and it's very, very watchable….

…It stars Elizabeth Olsen and Jesse Plemons and they're both just killing it in these roles. Y'know when you can tell that an actor is having fun in a role? Well these are roles where it just oozes from them that they're having a great time embodying these characters…

Elizabeth Olsen is magical. She is luminously  beautiful and a good actress.

Plemons, he just recently registered with me. he was in Fargo, and then Power of the Dog. I’m not yet sure I like him. He’s married to Kirsten Dunst who I find generally blah.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2843 on: July 13, 2023, 06:31:36 PM »
I watched a reality show about two groups who war with one another even though they are all related. Within their group they play politics and battle for status, and winners get to claim more territory.

It is Chimp Empire on Netflix. pretty good. The filmmaker was interviewed for three hours on Joe Rogan show recently. Great interview.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2844 on: July 13, 2023, 06:37:18 PM »
I watched a reality show about two groups who war with one another even though they are all related. Within their group they play politics and battle for status, and winners get to claim more territory.

It is Chimp Empire on Netflix. pretty good. The filmmaker was interviewed for three hours on Joe Rogan show recently. Great interview.
I was going to guess Succession but that was my second guess lol

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2845 on: July 13, 2023, 06:41:26 PM »

…It stars Elizabeth Olsen and Jesse Plemons and they're both just killing it in these roles. Y'know when you can tell that an actor is having fun in a role? Well these are roles where it just oozes from them that they're having a great time embodying these characters…

Plemons, he just recently registered with me. he was in Fargo, and then Power of the Dog. I’m not yet sure I like him. He’s married to Kirsten Dunst who I find generally blah.
Dunst has been in a surprising number of bad roles, but is good on occasion (Dick and Melancholia come to mind)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2846 on: July 13, 2023, 06:43:42 PM »

Dunst is great in On Becoming a God in Central Florida. I really wish they had made more seasons of that show.

But yeah, I have typically found her to be one-note for the bulk of her career. Like she nailed it so young in Interview and then just phoned it in for the next two decades. Her Marie Antoinette was brutally boring, IMO, and that's a tough character to make dull.

I loved Drop Dead Gorgeous though, and that's exactly the kind of small-town american weirdo that she particularly excels at playing, which is probably why I liked her in Fargo as well.

Hollywood tried to make her a classic hot blonde leading lady and it just fell flat. She's so much better as a weirdo, because she' probably *is* a total weirdo, which is probably why she did so well as a murderous child vampire to begin with.

Even Bring It On had its best moments when she was being more demented.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2847 on: July 14, 2023, 11:03:10 AM »

I was going to guess Succession but that was my second guess lol

Haha yep!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2848 on: July 14, 2023, 07:50:25 PM »
We also watched Jury Duty recently and it was great fun. Easy to binge watch because the episodes are short. I highly recommend that one for every body.

I'm binging Succession and have carefully avoided your spoilers. I didn't think I would be able to watch it after the first episode, but the children are all such perfect portrayals of the various types of children of the ridiculously wealthy that it has grown on me.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2849 on: July 18, 2023, 06:13:49 PM »
Jebus fucking Christ.

I tried watching The Crowded Room because of so many people raving about it, but I should have done my due diligence first and read the actual reviews about it before slogging through 4 utterly dreadful episodes.

Yes, yes, I get that it apparently gets better or whatever, but as soon as I knew who it was based on, the entire, tedious premise of the show made the tedium even worse, to the point of being unbearable.

Ugh...I feel so bait and switched. I really thought I was getting into something good based on the raves I've read, but no, I just can't do it. Variety also describes it as a slog, and I just can't think of a better word for it.

I've tried to rewrite this post a few times to not give the whole thing away but Variety also points out that in the world of Google, virtually any search regarding the show will likely turn up enough to spoil it, even just the name of the guy it's based on or the name of the writer...granted, those names would have to mean something to you, but still, their significance will probably pop up as well and the BIG twists easily figured out with very, very easily stumbled upon information.

For anyone reading, go ahead and watch it. Many audience reviews say that the payoff is well worth the many tedious episodes to get there, but for me, that kind of tedium is like having my fo her nails pulled out.

So for anyone who is watching it and wondering "is it just me, or is this fucking terrible?" It's not just you. The critics think it's unwatchable.

ETA: lol, here's an excerpt of what Ebert has to say about it and for me, it's spot on.

"At best, these 10 hours of Apple TV’s latest drama will provide some background noise while you fold laundry, but at worst, this is the shallowest dramatic exploration of mental illness in some time."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 06:21:12 PM by Metalcat »