Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 718663 times)

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #2400 on: November 22, 2022, 05:11:25 AM »
That is terrible about poor Christina Applegate having MS.

Also on Hulu is the documentary God Forbid, about Jerry Falwell affair directed by Bill Corbin.
Religious right powerful allie (ally?) and leader, has 3 some relationships with a man and his wife, and the
Man comes out about it and has plenty of evidence to prove he is not lying.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2401 on: November 22, 2022, 05:18:01 AM »
I finished watching the Leftovers last weekend. From 2014. About the people left behind after a Rapture-like event means that 2% of the world's population just disappears.*

I remember starting to watch it a few years ago and not even making it through the first episode. It does go off to some weird and whacky places in the second and third series but I thought the ending was very sweet. And the music was fantastic throughout. A real mix of stuff, well woven into the story. I'll have to find the soundtrack and see what made it onto that.

* Warning, very last episode spoiler ahead:
Spoiler: show
In the last episode we find out that they were all living in an alternate reality where 98% of the population had disappeared, so the world had split into two realities or something.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 05:21:28 AM by Moonwaves »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2402 on: November 22, 2022, 12:53:44 PM »
Season 3 of dead to me is now available on Netflix. I believe it took a couple of episodes for me to get into it at first, this show is about 2 women and their relationship in a wacky thriller type of show. Almost every woman I know loves it. Humorous in a sort of Ricky Gervais sort of way. Maybe dark comedy. The lead character reminds me of a constantly annoyed Bet Midler. I love it. Rewatching season 2 it is the best.

There was a recent NYT article about Christina Applegate being diagnosed with MS after they finished the second season.  She considered ending it there but wanted to finish the show even though it was very difficult for her to continue working.

Excellent show.

I hadn’t heard that, but I wondered if she was ill because it looks like she’s on steroids in season 3.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2403 on: November 22, 2022, 12:55:07 PM »
I finished watching the Leftovers last weekend. From 2014. About the people left behind after a Rapture-like event means that 2% of the world's population just disappears.*

I remember starting to watch it a few years ago and not even making it through the first episode. It does go off to some weird and whacky places in the second and third series but I thought the ending was very sweet. And the music was fantastic throughout. A real mix of stuff, well woven into the story. I'll have to find the soundtrack and see what made it onto that.

* Warning, very last episode spoiler ahead:
Spoiler: show
In the last episode we find out that they were all living in an alternate reality where 98% of the population had disappeared, so the world had split into two realities or something.

That is the last TV show DH and I watched together. We don’t often like the same thing. I thought that one was pretty interesting. I really liked the wife in it, and she now has a big role in that Victorian age show, can’t think of the name. She’s excellent in it.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2404 on: November 23, 2022, 07:40:02 AM »
Season 3 of dead to me is now available on Netflix. I believe it took a couple of episodes for me to get into it at first, this show is about 2 women and their relationship in a wacky thriller type of show. Almost every woman I know loves it. Humorous in a sort of Ricky Gervais sort of way. Maybe dark comedy. The lead character reminds me of a constantly annoyed Bet Midler. I love it. Rewatching season 2 it is the best.

There was a recent NYT article about Christina Applegate being diagnosed with MS after they finished the second season.  She considered ending it there but wanted to finish the show even though it was very difficult for her to continue working.

Excellent show.

Wow, I didn't know that but Applegate is very apparently looking different from season 2 - Hollywood is brutal in that way.  Still enjoying the show but it is getting a little long in the tooth with the wacky twists.

Really enjoying this season of White Lotus (HBO) and also Peripheral (Amazon Prime).  The sudden ending of Andor (Disney Plus) has left an emptiness in my watching weekly schedule :)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2405 on: November 28, 2022, 07:34:23 AM »
Finally got around to Interview with the Vampire on AMC. If you are a fan of the book you will absolutely love this. The actor they chose for Lestat is phenomenal and the truest portrayal I've ever seen of the Brat Prince...by a country mile. It isn't 100% true to the original book as it has been modernized a bit, but it stays true to all the major plot points with some twists to make it more relevant for today. I cannot recommend it enough, it was amazing.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2406 on: November 28, 2022, 09:26:02 AM »
Finally got around to Interview with the Vampire on AMC. If you are a fan of the book you will absolutely love this. The actor they chose for Lestat is phenomenal and the truest portrayal I've ever seen of the Brat Prince...by a country mile. It isn't 100% true to the original book as it has been modernized a bit, but it stays true to all the major plot points with some twists to make it more relevant for today. I cannot recommend it enough, it was amazing.

I’ve never read the book or watched the tv series. Have you seen the movie from 25 years ago? I’m curious how that compares. I thought the movie was excellent.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2407 on: November 28, 2022, 03:50:39 PM »
Watched Dead to Me and finished the last episode. I enjoyed it! Do feel so bad about Christine Applegate and her MS.

Now watching 1899 on Netflix. OMG, to me, one of the worst drawn out totally confusing series. There are 8 episodes and I have finished 6. I really wish I had not wasted my time on it, but I must be a glutton for punishment and will finish the last two episodes. It is a psychological thriller but, in my opinion, they could have made a two hour movie out if it. There are a million flashbacks for different characters. I wouldn't recommend this series, but some people may love it. Mr. Roadrunner is not into these types of series at all, but is tolerating it because I wanted to watch it. If I think it sucks, he must really hate it! LOL!

The things I did like was the beauty of the ship, the period dressing, seeing how they had to shovel coal to supply energy to the ship and the elegance of the first-class rooms, how 3rd class was locked in the bowels of the ship. It was kind of a window into the past. Some of the characters are interesting too but they don't focus a lot on the characters. They give you bits and pieces of information, not a lot.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2408 on: November 29, 2022, 06:32:15 AM »

I’ve never read the book or watched the tv series. Have you seen the movie from 25 years ago? I’m curious how that compares. I thought the movie was excellent.

The movie was...good...whereas I think the show is phenomenal. I try not to get too caught up in comparing versions against each other and just try to enjoy each as a different telling of the same basic story, but in my opinion the movie does not come anywhere near the show in terms of the look and feel of the characters from the books. I always had a hard time seeing Tom Cruise as Lestat. The guy playing the character in the show is perfect in the role, but they did have 7 episodes to flesh the story out versus trying to cram it into a 90 minute movie

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2409 on: November 29, 2022, 08:23:39 AM »
I just powered through Wednesday on Netflix. Meh.

I will say, it's a fine show if you want something dumb on in the background while you do other things. (Usually this is stuff like rote data entry/logistics when I WFH.) The 'twists' are easily recognizable, but I think this is geared toward a younger audience so maybe I'm just too old/seasoned to be surprised?

I also felt like a lot of the Addams characterizations were off. Like, CZJ is great but the writing of Morticia herself is just poorly done to create some sort of conflict between her and Wednesday.

I think @Roadrunner53 has convinced me to skip 1899, which I was on the fence about starting.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2410 on: November 30, 2022, 08:34:59 PM »
We just finished "The Patient" on Hulu and it was outstanding. For those that liked "The Americans", it's written by the same two guys.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2411 on: December 01, 2022, 12:56:51 PM »

I will say, it's a fine show if you want something dumb on in the background while you do other things. (Usually this is stuff like rote data entry/logistics when I WFH.) The 'twists' are easily recognizable, but I think this is geared toward a younger audience so maybe I'm just too old/seasoned to be surprised?

I also felt like a lot of the Addams characterizations were off. Like, CZJ is great but the writing of Morticia herself is just poorly done to create some sort of conflict between her and Wednesday.

I think @Roadrunner53 has convinced me to skip 1899, which I was on the fence about starting.

Midweststache, please don't take my word for it. After I was done watching it, I looked online and there were good reviews! I am like...WTF! I must be too old or too out of it to appreciate it. Definitely not my cup of tea but others loved it!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2412 on: December 01, 2022, 01:09:34 PM »
I am about half way into 'The Devil's Hour' and so far am finding it a fascinating show thus far.  Some moderately creepy supernatural elements and great acting/story.  We'll have to see if they're able to tie it all back together by the end though.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2413 on: December 01, 2022, 01:10:10 PM »

Midweststache, please don't take my word for it. After I was done watching it, I looked online and there were good reviews! I am like...WTF! I must be too old or too out of it to appreciate it. Definitely not my cup of tea but others loved it!

Huh, I've only seen heavily critical reviews of it that all emphasize that the creators have missed the entire point of the Addams family.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2414 on: December 01, 2022, 01:38:13 PM »

Huh, I've only seen heavily critical reviews of it that all emphasize that the creators have missed the entire point of the Addams family.

Same. I keep hearing that the central performance is good and the rest of the show does not live up to it.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2415 on: December 01, 2022, 04:09:37 PM »

Same. I keep hearing that the central performance is good and the rest of the show does not live up to it.

Probably worthwhile to note that my threshold for crap TV is VERY HIGH so a "meh" from me will be very different from someone who is more highbrow in their TV consumption! :)

I think the best summary of it would be a really strong cast that was grossly underserved and underutilized by poor writing/narrative. Like, there's this whole subplot that Brienne of Tarth  low-key resents Charlie Nicholson for... reasons? *shrugs*

Again, the acting and visuals are decent so it's good background noise, but if you're looking to dig into the next Stranger Things or a more YA American Horror Story, this is not it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2416 on: December 01, 2022, 04:46:56 PM »
I watched The Time Traveller's Wife

I thought the movie was okay, and the show is basically exactly like the movie, so it's okay. I've decided I do not like Rose Leslie. I didn't like her in Game of Thrones, I couldn't stand her in The Good Fight, so I guess I just don't like her acting very much.

I could see some people really liking it though, since many people like Rose Leslie, and many people loved the movie, and IMO the show is substantially better than the movie. The show allows for so much more exploration of the mindfuck that is their time travel marriage, it gave more time for the day to day impact to set in.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2417 on: December 02, 2022, 06:38:31 AM »

I think Roadrunner was referring to 1899

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2418 on: December 02, 2022, 06:53:58 AM »
I am about half way into 'The Devil's Hour' and so far am finding it a fascinating show thus far.  Some moderately creepy supernatural elements and great acting/story.  We'll have to see if they're able to tie it all back together by the end though.

It looks like it's getting good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. We watched the first episode last night. Creepy so far.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2419 on: December 02, 2022, 12:20:04 PM »

It looks like it's getting good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. We watched the first episode last night. Creepy so far.
It’s very well done.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2420 on: December 02, 2022, 04:08:20 PM »
Just got done watching Keep Breathing. Only 6 episodes and each is about 35 minutes. It is on Netflix. We really liked it.

Woman with a lot of baggage survives a plane crash in Alaska and in no man's land. She is alone and has to find a way out. What an adventure! Not in a good sense at all! Along the way she has flashbacks of her life as a child and her crazy mother, her doting father, her 'sorta' boyfriend.  Because her mother deserted the family, she has built a wall for protection against pain to shut out people. She is married to her job. She is a workaholic, and her life revolves around work.

It is a pretty quick watch and good inspiration to keep going when it seems impossible.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2421 on: December 02, 2022, 08:16:31 PM »

It’s very well done.

What a payoff!  Outstanding show.

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #2422 on: December 03, 2022, 01:43:17 AM »
I just finished the second season of Fisk. It was so funny.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2423 on: December 03, 2022, 07:53:00 AM »

I didn’t know that was out on Netflix, for some reason I thought it was out in theater. Well I will probably page through bits of it just so I can see Tim Burton’s imaginings of Addams family tropes. Like his Alice in Wonderland movie, I didn’t go for the dramatic performance, I went for the visuals.

Yesterday I set out a theatrical tablescape with a theme “Christmas with the Addams family “for our town’s fundraiser of Christmas tablescapes. Every table has a different theme. My Addams  family table is decorated in black and gold, It has a vase of headless roses, it has Thing coming out of a box.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 01:39:44 PM by iris lily »

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2424 on: December 08, 2022, 06:52:38 AM »

It’s very well done.

What a payoff!  Outstanding show.

I enjoyed it but the ending was sorta confusing until I learned there are more seasons in the works.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2425 on: December 08, 2022, 06:53:08 AM »
I watched Home for Christmas last week but since it's a six-part series rather than the christmas movie I thought it was going to be, I'll mention it here. It's Norwegian (Hjem til jul) and about a girl who tells her family at the start of advent that she has a boyfriend and is expected to bring him home for their celebration on 24th. Mostly very funny, excellent performances around and now I kind of want to move to Norway. The ending was just right, too.

There is also a second series, which takes place a year later. Still very good although I think liking the first one probably helps to enjoy the ending of the second one so much. It's a bit corny but very sweet, I thought.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2426 on: December 08, 2022, 07:15:54 AM »
I wonder what ever happened with the 'Wool' series that Apple TV was doing?

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2427 on: December 08, 2022, 07:52:25 AM »

What?!?  Hadn't heard this was being made into a series.  Wikipedia says March 2023 release.  My free trial expires in January, but I might have to subscribe for a month to watch this when it's out.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2428 on: December 08, 2022, 09:58:42 AM »

I didn’t know that was out on Netflix, for some reason I thought it was out in theater. Well I will probably page through bits of it just so I can see Tim Burton’s imaginings of Addams family tropes. Like his Alice in Wonderland movie, I didn’t go for the dramatic performance, I went for the visuals.

Yesterday I set out a theatrical tablescape with a theme “Christmas with the Addams family “for our town’s fundraiser of Christmas tablescapes. Every table has a different theme. My Addams  family table is decorated in black and gold, It has a face of headless roses, it has thing coming out of a box.

Finished watching Wednesday and really liked it! It was a fun watch. There was quite a bit of violence in it too. There is talk of a second season but Netflix has not committed yet. Mr. Roadrunner enjoyed it too.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2429 on: December 08, 2022, 03:43:06 PM »

It was filmed this year and is coming early next year. Pretty excited for it here, too.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2430 on: December 09, 2022, 06:52:45 AM »
I'm back to slogging through House of the Dragon, and it's just getting worse.

I think I mentioned that I read a review about it when I was first watching it and the reviewer put his finger on what makes the show so awful, which is that no one ever, not once, has a single conversation about anything other than the line of succession.

Although that's not true. Spoiler: Matt Smith's first wife is briefly introduced and she talks about something I don't remember for about 30 seconds and then promptly dies because no one is allowed to talk about anything other than the line of succession. Ever.

I'm watching a huge range of generations of characters over many years and they literally only have one topic of conversation.

It's so tedious. I know nothing about any of these characters aside from their thoughts about succession, and hilariously, they haven't managed to create any level of investment for me on that topic. Like, I just don't care who takes the throne, I have no investment in any of these people, no understanding of what the stakes are for the kingdom, and no concept of what any potential monarch's vision for ruling would even look like.

So the whole thing comes off more like a stupid, petty family fight rather than the determination of the fate of an empire.

I think we're just supposed to extrapolate what the empire is like from Game of Thrones? Except, that's set something like 7 generations later. That's like extrapolating what the US was like in the early 1800s from what it's like today.

Which is another thing. Why the fuck does it look *exactly* like Game of Thrones if it's so far in the past??? Shouldn't these civilizations be remarkably different in terms of their structure and technology after so many years???

The guards are literally dressed the same. Identical uniforms.

Although I guess that makes sense if I'm to understand that literally no one does anything but fuss about succession day in and day out for the next 200+ years....why would anything change?

I never read the books and just googled the timeline to write this post and read a rough 10,000 year history of the Game of Thrones universe, and holy shit there's some cool story telling that they could have done a prequel about!

I would have loved a show about how the area was colonized, the wall built, the white walkers came to be, and the taming of the dragons.

That would be so much cooler than an entire season of the largely pointless familial infighting of a family during what seems to be a totally uneventful phase of a 10,000 year history of a region.

DH now refers to the show as "miserable people being miserable, plus dragons."

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2431 on: December 09, 2022, 01:23:11 PM »
We started season two of White Lotus which is living up to season one so far. Also, gorgeous. Plus Aubrey Plaza has the best sneer on television.

Less happy is Yellowstone which I have no idea why my husband insists on finishing. I mean, the scenery is stunning but the entire Dutton family are miserable sociopaths and somehow they are never ever shown to be wrong. They’re NIMBYs but their scope has expanded from their ridiculously huge ranch to the entire state of Montana. I don’t think the screenwriters have ever met a vegan because in what universe is “we’re not meant to eat grass we don’t have a four-chambered stomach” a convincing argument for meat-eating? Let alone one strong enough to make a vegan activist change her ways?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2432 on: December 09, 2022, 03:27:54 PM »
We started season two of White Lotus which is living up to season one so far. Also, gorgeous. Plus Aubrey Plaza has the best sneer on television.

Less happy is Yellowstone which I have no idea why my husband insists on finishing. I mean, the scenery is stunning but the entire Dutton family are miserable sociopaths and somehow they are never ever shown to be wrong. They’re NIMBYs but their scope has expanded from their ridiculously huge ranch to the entire state of Montana. I don’t think the screenwriters have ever met a vegan because in what universe is “we’re not meant to eat grass we don’t have a four-chambered stomach” a convincing argument for meat-eating? Let alone one strong enough to make a vegan activist change her ways?

I am guessing your husband likes Yellowstone because it is one of the most popular shows on tv! Mr. Roadrunner and I love the show too and I know other people who can't wait to watch it each week. The vegan thing you mention might not have been a convincing argument to change a vegan's eating habits but you might have missed the point. That woman was in Mr. Dutton's home, as Governor he was able to get her out of jail early and give her a place to stay till she could live on her own. She was crabbing about no vegan food and was being kind of rude about it. No one seemed aware she was a vegan and just served regular food. The point was she could have asked descretely for something vegetarian but became preachy about people at the dinner table eating meat in a house that was not hers. She was a guest and acted like a spoiled brat. Stupid as it might be, that is why Beth beat the crap out of her. Beth has anger issues anyway and this woman just put her over the edge.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2433 on: December 09, 2022, 03:42:38 PM »

The characters in White Lotus are just so good, I'm way more emotionally invested in that show than any other.  And the ominous overtones have me psyched to see where this is headed!  Loved the first season, especially the conclusion.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2434 on: December 09, 2022, 04:25:43 PM »
@Roadrunner53 yeah, I got what they were doing in that scene, I just find the screenwriters’ portrayal of liberal activists about as convincing as liberal screenwriters portrayal of conservatives I.e. not very. I will give it big points for all the indigenous actors and storylines.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2435 on: December 10, 2022, 05:40:43 AM »
@Roadrunner53 yeah, I got what they were doing in that scene, I just find the screenwriters’ portrayal of liberal activists about as convincing as liberal screenwriters portrayal of conservatives I.e. not very. I will give it big points for all the indigenous actors and storylines.

No one gets a good portrayal in that show. That's part of the fun. Everyone is awful. They've just leaned more and more into everyone being awful, which is why they've moved so much away from the youngest son and his wife being the central characters of the show. It started out with two good characters living among bad people, but the audience just ate up the bad people, so they have systematically written them out of being main characters and centered heavily on Beth, who is the most awful of all of them, because that's what the audience responded to.

I'm not surprised that they wrote an awful activist. I was actually surprised they didn't write her worse. I had assumed they would make her massively corrupt, which would have been more interesting.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2436 on: December 10, 2022, 12:53:38 PM »
I'm not surprised that they wrote an awful activist. I was actually surprised they didn't write her worse. I had assumed they would make her massively corrupt, which would have been more interesting.
Oh man, it would have been So Much Better if she had been a massively corrupt activist instead of just pretty incompetent and placed there to threaten Beth’s Oedipal complex.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 12:55:15 PM by mspym »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2437 on: December 11, 2022, 08:34:45 PM »

The characters in White Lotus are just so good, I'm way more emotionally invested in that show than any other.  And the ominous overtones have me psyched to see where this is headed!  Loved the first season, especially the conclusion.

Second season's conclusion also satisfied. 

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #2438 on: December 14, 2022, 04:48:43 AM »
My wife and I just finished 'The English Game' on Netflix and I would give it 8/10. It's a mini-series with 6 episodes total (about 45 min each). It's odd to call it "not a huge investment of time" seeing as how it's 4.5 hours of content, but in our new streaming culture, it's a relatively quick watch.

1870s English setting, cool period outfits, solid acting.  I liked the main characters and I enjoyed watching the conflicts  between working-class and upper-class in the context of the then-growing game of soccer. It's based on real people, although liberties are certainly taken, based on my post-viewing Google searches.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2439 on: December 14, 2022, 06:10:02 AM »

Same, yeah I struggled through the first season and felt no desire to continue.  It seems to be a series a very cool scenes stitched together to create a mostly uninteresting storyline.

But still, beautiful to look at, I might give the spinoffs a shot.

For similar visuals, I prefer Longmire, although it obviously lacks the star power.

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #2440 on: December 14, 2022, 10:41:43 PM »

I gave up on the first season. I just didn't like it.

Less happy is Yellowstone which I have no idea why my husband insists on finishing. I mean, the scenery is stunning but the entire Dutton family are miserable sociopaths and somehow they are never ever shown to be wrong.

I reckon it's pretty ordinary. Great scenery but completely unlikable characters.

You should try Reservation Dogs. I loved it. The complete opposite of Yellowstone. Likable characters and good stories.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2441 on: December 14, 2022, 11:25:31 PM »
@chevy1956 I love Rez Dogs! I think I've recommended it earlier in this thread.

I don't love Shoresy as much as Letterkenny but that's also pretty solid.

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #2442 on: December 16, 2022, 07:29:27 PM »
@chevy1956 I love Rez Dogs! I think I've recommended it earlier in this thread.

I don't love Shoresy as much as Letterkenny but that's also pretty solid.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #2443 on: December 17, 2022, 04:01:38 AM »
We really enjoyed The Peripheral (Amazon Prime) - William Gibson clearly in great form.

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #2444 on: December 17, 2022, 09:52:34 AM »

I enjoyed Wednesday a lot. I did not expect to enjoy it because I have never liked anything related to the Addams family. So, I can see how people who are fans of the Addams family would not like this. Honestly, outside of being set "in that world and family" it is not traditional Addams, which is a good thing and made it enjoyable for me to watch. I recommend the show... unless you like the source material, in which case stay away.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2445 on: December 20, 2022, 08:01:38 AM »
I don't know if it's been mentioned already but "Sorry for your loss" with Elizabeth Olsen is very good. We're based in the UK and watch on itv though I think it was on Facebook watch originally.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2446 on: December 20, 2022, 01:27:24 PM »
Watching Taboo, which is produced by and starting Tom Hardy.

I love Tom Hardy and will watch him in anything, but this is very good, with a phenomenal cast, including Jonathan Pryce, who is nice to see in a bolder role after his tepid, uselessly written turn as Prince Phillip in Thr Crown.

It's a dark drama set in 1814 London, involves the East India Company, the new world, Africa, slave trade, weird mystic abilities, which I can't tell if are being attributed to American Indigenous culture or African culture, or both?

It's a bit of a mess, but the dialogue and acting are great. It's almost like a collection of individual fantastic scenes and the largely ridiculous plot kind of thrums along in the background and isn't actually of all that much consequence.

That said the title of the show is Taboo because of an utterly, ridiculously pointless incestuous love dynamic with his sister, which as far as I can tell, is entirely inconsequential to the plot. I'm getting rather tired of incest being a plot device for something being "edgy." Incest seems to be the new alternative to graphic rape as a go-to for shows to demonstrate how dark and edgy they are.

EEEEYYYYYYYEEEEEEE RRRRROOOOOOLLLLLLL

Like, can we just not and say we didn't???

Aside from my complaint in the spoiler, I recommend it.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2447 on: December 21, 2022, 10:03:14 AM »
Not enjoying 'Three Pines' on Amazon. The acting and writing are awful. GF is making me watch it.

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2448 on: December 21, 2022, 12:24:52 PM »
Severance on Apple TV (3 month free-look it up)

Dark Comedy/Satire about Work/Life balance. Interesting plot.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2449 on: December 21, 2022, 12:49:35 PM »
Not enjoying 'Three Pines' on Amazon. The acting and writing are awful. GF is making me watch it.

I agree, it is not great.
I liked the lead detective guy, but the plot was not interesting, and now that you mention it, some of the actors were kind of not great. The main thing it had going for it was that it was set in a Canadian place that was a fresh setting for this kind of thing. Also,  I didn’t like the way the main murder story was set on top of what seems to me a trendy social justice issue, missing native American women.