Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 699817 times)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #2350 on: October 02, 2022, 08:44:36 AM »
Really enjoying The Rings of Power.  It's too bad there is such background animosity toward just enjoying these things as they are, as a casual viewer I think it's the best thing out there right now.  I also like Andor.  If creators aren't given the chance to take risks because internet trolls want a groundswell of disapproval to further whatever cause they seem to have, then casual observers are losing out.  Fortunately, at least for now, I think internet trolls are like the Orcs that are getting their butts handed to them by the Elves :)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2351 on: October 04, 2022, 01:01:02 PM »
I just read an article about House of the Dragon analyzing why it's so unbearably boring and they fucking nailed it.

No one ever, ever talks about anything but succession. That's it. No character has any motivation or personal character beyond their connection to the succession plot. They had one character who seemed to have their own life and priorities and then killed them off the very scene we met them. Then they had another character who was still directly related to the succession plot, but had their own motivations, and they were killed a scene or two later.

GoT characters all had their own character development and motivations, and it all drew back to the throne, but often only very, very loosely.

House of the Dragon, now that I've read that article seems completely ridiculous watching it and seeing absolutely nothing beyond one point of plot.

It's boring because it's one-dimensional as fuck.

It made me so happy to read something that so accurately articulated my response to it. It's not bad, it actually does an okay job considering it's one and only plot point, but that really nails down the tonal difference with GoT and what's missing.

Also, I keep reading about how massive the budget it for it, but if that's the case, why does it look so cartoony compared to GoT?

Is it a case of bigger budget so they're throwing in way more CG than is necessary, but even expensive CG has limits and looks like a video game?

And then here's the latest drama on why viewers can't see much.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/3/23386058/house-of-the-dragon-episode-7-too-dark-compression-my-eyes
"intentional creative decision". F that.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2352 on: October 04, 2022, 01:48:55 PM »
Ofpym is watching House of the Dragon while I mock from the sidelines. I miss characters who had more than one motivation, I don’t care about “the realm” and the spoilt princess makes me miss Cersei’s ruthlessness - she was a monster who Got Things Done.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I’m late to it but loving Dickinson which is super fun and stuffed full of glorious 1840s clothing. Tip of the hat to their costume director, this may be one of the best dressed shoes I have seen. I never wanted a pin-tucked bodice and bell sleeves as much as I do now. (Dickinson is not part of my literary heritage so this is all a fun surprise, nice to see she was part of the NE writing weirdos group)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2353 on: October 04, 2022, 02:18:57 PM »
Started watching Station Eleven on HBO Max.  It's based on a book, which I really loved.  The series is very well done, although it doesn't quite capture the forlorn tone of the book I loved so much.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2354 on: October 04, 2022, 07:44:00 PM »
Started watching Station Eleven on HBO Max.  It's based on a book, which I really loved.  The series is very well done, although it doesn't quite capture the forlorn tone of the book I loved so much.

I just could not care about this show. I tried hard too.

Interestingly, my sister loved the book as well (kept trying to get me read it, hence why I was trying to watch the show), but when she tried watching the show she disliked it even more than I did.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2355 on: October 05, 2022, 07:46:00 AM »
Gave the new Quantam Leap a day in court. It's decent so far (2 episodes) and has a few nice callbacks to the original show

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2356 on: October 06, 2022, 11:11:39 AM »
I watched Vigil recently, I believe from the creators of Line of Duty and some other thriller/police shows.  It was super short - one season just 6 episodes, so more like a mini-series.  I liked it a lot and there was one scene that really was hard to watch - I've never had such a viscreal reaction to TV before.  Apparently a second season was greenlit, but probably won't involve the submarine after which the series was named, so not sure how that will work.

Speaking of visceral reactions, just finished Season 6 part 1 of Better Call Saul and the end of that final episode really shocked me.  Not that I couldn't see it coming for at least several minutes before, but it was really upsetting and I had to watch something else before I could sleep.  Not sure if it's because I'm getting older or that TV shows are getting much better at pulling the audience into the characters and action.  Maybe both.  Now on the Season 6 part 2...

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2357 on: October 07, 2022, 09:03:00 PM »

I just could not care about this show. I tried hard too.

Interestingly, my sister loved the book as well (kept trying to get me read it, hence why I was trying to watch the show), but when she tried watching the show she disliked it even more than I did.

I finished the series and I liked the show, but not nearly as much as I liked the book.  They changed a lot in the show (especially in the last half).  Even though I didn't like the show as much, one thing they did that I actually liked was layer several stories together to create this odd resonance (or echo) using the main story, the 'in-world' Station Eleven graphic novel sci-fi story and Hamlet.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2358 on: October 07, 2022, 10:00:48 PM »
Watched Sprung on FreeVee.  Actually was very entertaining.  Just looks to be the one season.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2359 on: October 08, 2022, 06:33:37 AM »
started 'black bird' on apple tv. immediately sucked in.
we're nearing the end of 'bad sisters'. it's a great who done it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2360 on: October 08, 2022, 03:36:29 PM »
I’ve been enjoying “never have I ever… “A production by Mindy Kaling that is inspired by her own teenage years. Engaging young people play these high school kids.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2361 on: October 09, 2022, 07:26:46 AM »
I’ve been enjoying “never have I ever… “A production by Mindy Kaling that is inspired by her own teenage years. Engaging young people play these high school kids.

Lol, except for Paxton who is played by a 30 year old.

But yeah, the writing is fantastic and John McEnroe narrating the story of a teenage girl is a stroke of pure genius. I can't even fathom how that came about, but it's honestly my favourite part of the whole show.

The show also steadily gravitated towards the characters generally being incredibly respectful and kind to each other while also being self-absorbed teens who constantly fuck up and hurt each other's feelings. It's a fresh take on coming of age drama.

I also adore the mom and the fact that she's a full, independent, very interesting character with her own relatable plotlines.

This is what I watched while very sick recently and it made me feel better. Total comfort TV.

ETA: DH just said that this show is *by far* the best show for walking in and out of the room periodically because out of context, the one-liners are hilarious.

He has zero idea what the plot is, but says he loves it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 09:33:59 AM by Malcat »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2362 on: October 09, 2022, 03:12:17 PM »

Lol, except for Paxton who is played by a 30 year old.

But yeah, the writing is fantastic and John McEnroe narrating the story of a teenage girl is a stroke of pure genius. I can't even fathom how that came about, but it's honestly my favourite part of the whole show.

The show also steadily gravitated towards the characters generally being incredibly respectful and kind to each other while also being self-absorbed teens who constantly fuck up and hurt each other's feelings. It's a fresh take on coming of age drama.

I also adore the mom and the fact that she's a full, independent, very interesting character with her own relatable plotlines.

This is what I watched while very sick recently and it made me feel better. Total comfort TV.

ETA: DH just said that this show is *by far* the best show for walking in and out of the room periodically because out of context, the one-liners are hilarious.

He has zero idea what the plot is, but says he loves it.
Oh that’s nice! About your DH I mean.

I love the mom on this show. She is so beautiful and elegant.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2363 on: October 09, 2022, 03:39:19 PM »

I know, right? And I don't love her as a mom character, I love her as a woman. Season 4 has her managing adult friendship and she's so relatable.

Kaling's characters tend to be caricatures of themselves, but the mom really stands out as just a real character, in a show jam-packed with caricatures. It makes her, and not the daughter feel like the character you're supposed to connect with.

If it's supposed to be loosely autobiographical, then perhaps Kaling just really, really loves her mom, because whoever wrote that character obviously wants her to be respected.

And yeah, the actress plays her elegant as fuck. I want to be like that when I grow up, but for now, I'll stay an immature punkass who says "elegant as fuck" about a tv mom.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2364 on: October 09, 2022, 04:47:57 PM »

I know, right? And I don't love her as a mom character, I love her as a woman. Season 4 has her managing adult friendship and she's so relatable.

Kaling's characters tend to be caricatures of themselves, but the mom really stands out as just a real character, in a show jam-packed with caricatures. It makes her, and not the daughter feel like the character you're supposed to connect with.

If it's supposed to be loosely autobiographical, then perhaps Kaling just really, really loves her mom, because whoever wrote that character obviously wants her to be respected.

And yeah, the actress plays her elegant as fuck. I want to be like that when I grow up, but for now, I'll stay an immature punkass who says "elegant as fuck" about a tv mom.

From what I remember without looking any of this up, Mindy Kayling did get along with her mother pretty well. I think her mom was a doctor in real life. I think. Her mom died a few years ago.

Yes I would like to be as elegant as this actress but in order to do so I would have to grow 4 inches and lose 50 pounds, both of them, not one or the other. I like her kitchen too which is of course done by a set designer, but it’s a lot like my current cottage kitchen with green cabinets, black countertop, red accents. Their whole house is beautifully colorful. That’s one reason I love Indian crafts, the fabrics are absolutely wonderful and the colors are strong and beautiful.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 09:18:32 AM by iris lily »

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2365 on: October 17, 2022, 04:58:26 PM »
Wow, did "Bad Sisters" ever stick the landing. I was worried that this fantastic show might have a disappointing finale, but nope, it was brilliant as ever. Perfect ending in fact. My partner, who is generally stingy with rating things, gave it a 10/10.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2366 on: October 18, 2022, 06:19:49 AM »
Wife and I finally got around to giving Our Flag Means Death a day in court this past weekend. Pretty good show so far, love Rhys Darby. He and Taika Waititi are brilliant on screen together. I wasn't sure I'd like this show, but I have to admit I laughed my ass off

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2367 on: October 18, 2022, 08:34:51 AM »
Speaking of visceral reactions, just finished Season 6 part 1 of Better Call Saul and the end of that final episode really shocked me.  Not that I couldn't see it coming for at least several minutes before, but it was really upsetting and I had to watch something else before I could sleep.  Not sure if it's because I'm getting older or that TV shows are getting much better at pulling the audience into the characters and action.  Maybe both.  Now on the Season 6 part 2...

It really hit me in the heart, too.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2368 on: October 20, 2022, 05:15:18 PM »

Thank you for mentioning this! I had never heard of it and just started watching. John McEnroe as the narrator is killing me!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2369 on: October 20, 2022, 06:58:05 PM »

I just finished the rest of the season and the finale.  I thought it was....ok.  I thought I'd seen a lot of headlines about it being one of the best series finales ever (I didn't read them, of course, because I didn't want to spoil anything), so maybe my expectations were just too high.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2370 on: October 31, 2022, 06:54:22 AM »
Just finished Night Sky on Amazon. J.K. Simmons and Sissy Spacek play an old couple that have a space portal in their back yard. It started off ok but it was pretty awful by the last episode.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2371 on: October 31, 2022, 07:29:35 AM »

I just finished the rest of the season and the finale.  I thought it was....ok.  I thought I'd seen a lot of headlines about it being one of the best series finales ever (I didn't read them, of course, because I didn't want to spoil anything), so maybe my expectations were just too high.

I agree not one of the best finales ever, although not a bad one either.  Breaking Bad was such a great show with great characters I would watch another spinoff.

Spoiler: show
I can see how the ending with Saul/Jimmy getting punished for all his wrongs and him finally coming clean (repenting for all his guilt) and saving the girl is a pretty good way to end it. The last scene where they have a smoke together had me thinking a spinoff would be so easy to pick up from there. Maybe them helping other inmates/ jail break/ orange is the new black....

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2372 on: October 31, 2022, 07:48:54 AM »
I'm watching series 6 of This Is Us and true to form, crying at least once almost every episode. Only a couple of episodes left but it really has been one of the best series I've enjoyed for a long time.

I think someone said above, way back when, that you see another new character coming in and think they've gone over the top and can't possibly fit in another full character and then they really nail it again (I think that was in reference to Nicky showing up). There's a slight feeling of things moving very fast now so that they can tie up all the loose ends but I'm also glad they're tying up loose ends and wrapping the whole thing up before it loses the run of itself and goes to crap.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2373 on: October 31, 2022, 05:58:13 PM »
Just finished Night Sky on Amazon. J.K. Simmons and Sissy Spacek play an old couple that have a space portal in their back yard. It started off ok but it was pretty awful by the last episode.

Darn, I was hoping this would be good. Some people seem to like it though (7.4 rating on IMDb is pretty good). I believe it is already cancelled so must had poor viewership numbers for Amazon.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2374 on: October 31, 2022, 08:28:27 PM »
Watched "Good Behavior" on HBO Max.  It was astonishingly bad.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2375 on: November 01, 2022, 07:23:22 AM »
We've been watching the last season of Black List.  It's one of our favorite shows.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2376 on: November 01, 2022, 12:38:25 PM »
Finally getting around to starting the new season of The Great British Baking Show

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2377 on: November 09, 2022, 01:56:38 PM »
I've mentioned before, I don't really watch "tv series" but I watch a lot of Youtube.
This one is a beauty: https://youtu.be/GhtmIof43ok
Martijn Doolaard, "... a photographer, filmmaker and travel writer from the Netherlands. He finished two long distance bicycle journeys from Amsterdam to Singapore and Vancouver to Patagonia. Currently he is renovating and living in a remote stone cabin in the Italian Alps. "

Beautiful cinematography, amazing scenery of the Italian Alps, very little talking. Martijn buys land with two ancient stone cottages in a remote area called Val Pellice and proceeds to slowly restore them.
The video linked above is a three hour retrospective of his first year there.

Highly recommended "slow tv".

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #2378 on: November 09, 2022, 10:13:29 PM »
Rake is pure awesome, but I generally love Australian tv.

We watched the first 2 episodes of Fisk this week. It didn't feel as good as the first season but it was still funny. I'd give that a try. I liked Frayed as well. Very funny.

Jack Irish is great. I loved Mr Inbetween as well. I haven't watched Rake.

The best shows I've watched recently have been The Bear and Barry. I'm finishing up watching the Expanse and I'm onto the 2nd final series. It's awesome. It's just so big with so much happening. If you like strong female roles there are so many characters that are just so likable.

I love her:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmRQXpbeA-0

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2379 on: November 10, 2022, 06:44:48 AM »
We started the final season of Manifest this week.

Also have Yellowstone and Jack Ryan ready to start soon.

Still haven't started Rings of Power. Watched one episode of House of the Dragon and haven't circled back yet

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2380 on: November 10, 2022, 08:25:29 AM »
just started watching these 2 on FreeVee via Prime Video:
  • Sprung
  • Timewasters

both are funny. and original.

On watchlist: El Presidente: Corruption Game. About FIFA and soccer.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 08:49:50 AM by jinga nation »

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2381 on: November 10, 2022, 09:40:43 AM »
Very much enjoying Andor.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2382 on: November 10, 2022, 05:17:08 PM »

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #2383 on: November 10, 2022, 06:47:25 PM »

I've watched all the star war tv series and this in my opinion is the best.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2384 on: November 11, 2022, 05:55:50 AM »

I was literally about to come and post about how much I am enjoying Andor when I saw this. It is a top-notch show.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #2385 on: November 11, 2022, 02:14:27 PM »

I was literally about to come and post about how much I am enjoying Andor when I saw this. It is a top-notch show.

Peak content. Acting, writing, cinematography, all outstanding. IMO it's by far the top Star Wars content, along with Rogue One and Mando. Home run.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2386 on: November 14, 2022, 11:34:22 AM »

Peak content. Acting, writing, cinematography, all outstanding. IMO it's by far the top Star Wars content, along with Rogue One and Mando. Home run.

The characters are just all so memorable.  The ambitious empire blond lady, the demoted empire guy who is obsessed with Kassian, Kassian's mom (HP's Petunia, and so good in other roles)...I don't know where the show is going but I really don't care because all the characters are so interesting and believable.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2387 on: November 14, 2022, 11:46:17 AM »
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds occasionally at lunch break

Big Bang Theory with DW right before bed. Our first time. I think I'm over the Sheldon character. We're halfway through season 11.
That 70s Show occasionally with offspring #2. Their first time. DW and I have already worked our way through several years ago.

This Old House on the weekends with morning coffee and DW. We're streaming it from the first episode. Taking forever but we enjoy it. And episode or even two if the weather is lousy or we have nothing planned.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2388 on: November 14, 2022, 12:02:48 PM »
One episode from the end of Atlanta and it’s one of Ofpym’s favourite shows. Just a great piece of work. We’ve also resumed Letterkenny and just finished season 5. That is one of my favourites.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2389 on: November 14, 2022, 05:07:08 PM »
I'm watching series 6 of This Is Us and true to form, crying at least once almost every episode. Only a couple of episodes left but it really has been one of the best series I've enjoyed for a long time.

I think someone said above, way back when, that you see another new character coming in and think they've gone over the top and can't possibly fit in another full character and then they really nail it again (I think that was in reference to Nicky showing up). There's a slight feeling of things moving very fast now so that they can tie up all the loose ends but I'm also glad they're tying up loose ends and wrapping the whole thing up before it loses the run of itself and goes to crap.

I think This Is Us was one of the best TV series ever written. I'm sad it's over, but happy they didn't drag it out until it sucked.

I also really enjoyed Lost. I should go back and watch it again. I'm sure I missed things the first time.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2390 on: November 15, 2022, 12:14:04 AM »

I think This Is Us was one of the best TV series ever written. I'm sad it's over, but happy they didn't drag it out until it sucked.
I couldn't even watch the last two episodes in one go, I think it took me more like five non-consecutive days to get through them. So much emotion - I could barely handle it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2391 on: November 16, 2022, 03:37:11 PM »

I also really enjoyed Lost. I should go back and watch it again. I'm sure I missed things the first time.

I'm probably not the target demographic but when DW was watching "This Is Us" I had to find something else to do somewhere else. SO sad to me.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2392 on: November 16, 2022, 04:32:41 PM »
I started watching This is Us based on the recs in this thread.  I have to say, it's excellent. 

It's quietly beautiful, joyful and nostalgic, sentimental without being maudlin, earnest without being dopey.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2393 on: November 17, 2022, 12:02:30 PM »
I was just looking for This is Us based on this thread, too.  It looks like it's an NBC show, but for some reason isn't on Peacock?  I guess NBC has two different streaming services?? And Peacock is where they put the shitty stuff?  I don't get it.

Luckily we have Hulu, so looks like I can watch it there.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2394 on: November 18, 2022, 01:12:20 AM »
UK based... Watched three excellent series recently. Industry on iPlayer, the end of the f-ing world and my mad, fat diary on 4.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2395 on: November 18, 2022, 06:34:50 AM »
"After Life" written and directed by Ricky Gervais, who also stars as the main character.  3 seasons total on Netflix.

Set in present day Britain where he is trying to cope after the death of his wife and he's mostly floundering. His interactions with others in his workplace and his small town range from dark to funny - just a great look at human nature.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2396 on: November 18, 2022, 11:13:49 AM »
The Inside Man with David Tennant and Stanley Tucci. Enjoyable black humor hokum.  I ended up really overthinking it at the end of the 3rd episode and concocted an incredibly baroque 'solution' to the thing, which meant the actual solution wasn't quite as fun as I was expecting.

But still, enjoyable to see increasingly unhinged Tennant repeatedly justify himself with "I'm a fucking vicar!"

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2397 on: November 19, 2022, 02:58:27 AM »
Season 3 of dead to me is now available on Netflix. I believe it took a couple of episodes for me to get into it at first, this show is about 2 women and their relationship in a wacky thriller type of show. Almost every woman I know loves it. Humorous in a sort of Ricky Gervais sort of way. Maybe dark comedy. The lead character reminds me of a constantly annoyed Bet Midler. I love it. Rewatching season 2 it is the best.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2398 on: November 19, 2022, 07:50:43 AM »
Season 3 of dead to me is now available on Netflix. I believe it took a couple of episodes for me to get into it at first, this show is about 2 women and their relationship in a wacky thriller type of show. Almost every woman I know loves it. Humorous in a sort of Ricky Gervais sort of way. Maybe dark comedy. The lead character reminds me of a constantly annoyed Bet Midler. I love it. Rewatching season 2 it is the best.

There was a recent NYT article about Christina Applegate being diagnosed with MS after they finished the second season.  She considered ending it there but wanted to finish the show even though it was very difficult for her to continue working.

Excellent show.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 07:52:57 AM by charis »

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2399 on: November 22, 2022, 12:20:01 AM »
Just finished Sandman and really enjoyed it. Haven't read the books, but probably will soon.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!