Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 720294 times)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #2300 on: September 06, 2022, 05:51:18 PM »
Alright, I thought the first two episodes of 'Rings of Power' were visually impressive, if a bit slowly paced and generally underwhelming. I get that they have to introduce some characters and set the scene, even if we're familiar with the general setting, and I'm willing to hang around and keep watching. I have no knowledge of the underlying text, so I'm going into it with an open mind.

As someone else said, we're waiting on the GoT series for a while, at least until RoP is done, which should be in 6 weeks.

They had so many characters and storylines they were introducing, the two episodes ending up feeling quite scattered to me. Still excited to keep watching.

I read somewhere that the first two episodes of RoP were like "unskippable video game cutscenes." That perfectly summarizes how I felt about them.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2301 on: September 06, 2022, 09:24:09 PM »
House of the Dragon looks very cartoonish, which is bizarre since it sounds like they've spent more per episode to produce it.

It is also, so far, very bad. I don't even find Mat Smith engaging to watch and I ALWAYS enjoy Mat Smith, which tells me that the directing is a major source of the problem, where you end up with a Star Wars prequel kind of feel where even Natalie Portman comes off as a terrible actor.

Whatever they're doing, if it's making Mat Smith lose all of his substantial charisma, it's just not good.

It seems very effective at knocking DH unconscious though, so that's a plus.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2302 on: September 07, 2022, 11:02:43 AM »
I'm really enjoying "Never Have I Ever" and "Ted Lasso" right now.  And Modern Family, which we recently discovered.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2303 on: September 07, 2022, 03:22:39 PM »
House of the Dragon looks very cartoonish, which is bizarre since it sounds like they've spent more per episode to produce it.

It is also, so far, very bad. I don't even find Mat Smith engaging to watch and I ALWAYS enjoy Mat Smith, which tells me that the directing is a major source of the problem, where you end up with a Star Wars prequel kind of feel where even Natalie Portman comes off as a terrible actor.

Whatever they're doing, if it's making Mat Smith lose all of his substantial charisma, it's just not good.

You're the first person I've heard from that hasn't liked HotD.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the show so far. I enjoy Matt Smith in everything I've seen him in, including this. He's been the best part of the show though the first few episodes.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2304 on: September 07, 2022, 03:50:18 PM »

I've thoroughly enjoyed the show so far. I enjoy Matt Smith in everything I've seen him in, including this. He's been the best part of the show though the first few episodes.

Really? Because the general commentary I saw about it online before I even started watching it was that it's very dull so far.

I agree that Mat Smith is the best part, but I see that as a low bar at this point, and he's nowhere near as engaging as he normally is. I keep wondering "why is he making that face?"

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2305 on: September 07, 2022, 06:49:54 PM »

Really? Because the general commentary I saw about it online before I even started watching it was that it's very dull so far.

I agree that Mat Smith is the best part, but I see that as a low bar at this point, and he's nowhere near as engaging as he normally is. I keep wondering "why is he making that face?"

I'm so distracted by all the Mat Smiths!

But yeah, based on feedback from this thread and other online reviews, I'm giving House of the Dragon a hard pass.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2306 on: September 08, 2022, 10:17:50 AM »
Anyone watching 'Five Days at Memorial' on AppleTV? It's intense. It's about patients and staff at Memorial Hospital in New Orleans during and after Hurricane Katrina.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2307 on: September 08, 2022, 02:23:46 PM »
We are halfway through Sherwood and it is brilliant. (Murder in a small ex-mining village drags up buried tensions from the 1984 miners strike.) excellent portrayal of the dynamics of small towns and how history is never really forgotten and can flare up again.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2308 on: September 08, 2022, 02:43:01 PM »
We are halfway through Sherwood and it is brilliant. (Murder in a small ex-mining village drags up buried tensions from the 1984 miners strike.) excellent portrayal of the dynamics of small towns and how history is never really forgotten and can flare up again.

Where are you watching that? Sounds right up my alley.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2309 on: September 08, 2022, 02:48:48 PM »
binge watched all 4 seasons of Unforgotten, with Nicola Walker and Sanjeev Bhasker.
also binged through The Indian Doctor, starring Bhasker.
(really enjoy watching his acting, including Goodness Gracious Me and The Kumars at No. 42)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2310 on: September 08, 2022, 03:01:28 PM »

Where are you watching that? Sounds right up my alley.
Binge. It has a swag of great British actors

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2311 on: September 08, 2022, 04:32:49 PM »
binge watched all 4 seasons of Unforgotten, with Nicola Walker and Sanjeev Bhasker.
also binged through The Indian Doctor, starring Bhasker.
(really enjoy watching his acting, including Goodness Gracious Me and The Kumars at No. 42)

One thing I love about Unforgotten is all the fantastic location shots.  The "suspects" have typically scattered all over England so we get some great images of Oxford, Liverpool, Brighton, Salisbury, etc.

I see they are going to do a Season 5, not sure how I feel about that!

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2312 on: September 09, 2022, 11:11:19 AM »
I love a slow burn when it comes to epics (so much to introduce!) so I personally am loving Rings of Power thus far.  When Jackson's trilogy came out and Isildur and Elrond fighting in the Last Alliance and to be in Mt Doom with the drama in those flashbacks...it always made me wish I could see the events of the Second Age that led to that point.  And this show seems to be exactly that, a fuller Second Age, albeit quite condensed (which makes sense to portray it on a screen).

I do this most of the time now but when it comes to fantasy, I recommend watching with the subtitles on.  Different languages, different cultures, all kinds of place names and characters - much easier to see what is being pronounced in written form.

It's been awhile since I read the Silmarillion and I'm glad this show already has all the events of Ea creation and that hokey music of the Ainur stuff already well in the past.  Let's get to the good stuff!

I wouldn't call them spoilers per se for those that have watched and know a little Middle Earth history, but more of my thoughts and questions below thus far after watching the first 2 eps:
Spoiler: show

Can't wait to see Numenor!  I'm hoping it will be like Minas Tirth level of detail but situated as a marine culture.

Show has done a good job of being ambiguous with the Stranger.  I don't think he is Sauron even though the theme music teased it a little bit.  Still some kind of Maia, perhaps Alatar or Pallando as I didn't think the other 3 came around until much later but then again, I'm rusty with the timing and didn't think any wizards were in Middle Earth until after all the rings had been created.  This also naively presumes that the show wouldn't be tweaking the exact timeline which could be a silly/stupid assumption.  Very well could be Gandalf or Saruman for all I know.  The guy did talk to fireflies after all and was first found by smaller people that are forerunners to hobbits which we know one particular wizard looks kindly upon (especially the adventurous ones).  We shall see!

Halbrand has some secrets.  The sea worm was suspicious (Sauron has control over all the "bad" creatures).  Why let the others die to save yourself when the sea worm was attacking but then you are willing to risk your own life to save Galadriel?  Something is very fishy.  If he turns out to be Sauron, I get that saving Galadriel would bring her to trust you, even if you eventually want to murder her, but seems a little too roundabout for my liking at this stage if that turns out to be the case (which is why I doubt he is Sauron).  I think the showrunners just want him to be interesting and is a plot device to convey Galadriel from near Valinor to back to Middle Earth or introduce us to Numenor (it would be very boring not to mention difficult to just have her character swim all the way back).

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2313 on: September 09, 2022, 11:23:17 AM »
Also, TROP has a lot of lore and, of course, connections to LOTR that I would not otherwise make, so I like to watch the NewRockstars breakdowns - https://youtu.be/WdOh7-tuU5I

Helped me to appreciate episodes 1/2 more and got me ready for episode 3 tonight!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2314 on: September 09, 2022, 01:21:41 PM »
I am enjoying the new Dexter series so far.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2315 on: September 09, 2022, 02:32:23 PM »
Also, TROP has a lot of lore and, of course, connections to LOTR that I would not otherwise make, so I like to watch the NewRockstars breakdowns - https://youtu.be/WdOh7-tuU5I

Helped me to appreciate episodes 1/2 more and got me ready for episode 3 tonight!

If you ever want a more detailed breakdown of the lore (and you have time to spare), I'd highly recommend Rings and Realms from Corey Olsen (i.e. the Tolkien Professor) and Maggie Park.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUpQGfWMZp17KMCz3rayWg

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2316 on: September 12, 2022, 05:28:38 PM »
Is anyone going to be watching the Emmy's tonight at 8 PM eastern time?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2317 on: September 12, 2022, 08:25:06 PM »

People watch the Emmy's???

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2318 on: September 13, 2022, 08:21:57 AM »

Yeah . . . sometimes I'll check out which new shows or movies win, but I've never really watched awards shows.  IWe as a society overly glorify actors and athletes, and awards shows seem to be just more of that.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2319 on: September 13, 2022, 10:19:05 AM »
[/p

The award shows are so boring, except for Golden Globes when Ricky Gervais hosted. I also like the general Golden Globes anyway because it’s a mix of movie and TV people and they hustle people on and off stage, and we don’t have to listen to the ridiculously long Self aggrandizing spots that populate Oscars.

But that said, I usually look at a YouTube summary of what people were wearing to all these major award shows. And then of course now you just reminded me I could go see who won. If my boys from Succession did not win, I will be annoyed.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2320 on: September 13, 2022, 01:21:13 PM »

No, I don't think so. It must be that Hollywood is willing to put the show on for its own purposes, since no real people actually watch it, ha ha.

I admit I tuned in to see it, since I had nothing else to do.  Keenan Thompson was the host. He was OK.

A couple good dance routines to sitcom theme songs.

Then some commercials.

Then boring award after boring award, so I turned it off. 

The Oscars are (or were) much more interesting. (Which everyone knew already, lol)

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2321 on: September 14, 2022, 02:39:04 PM »
Kinda sucked into 'Bad Sisters' on Apple TV.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2322 on: September 14, 2022, 06:46:28 PM »
Kinda sucked into 'Bad Sisters' on Apple TV.

It's so good. I'm going to share details of the show, but none of it is spoilers, they're given away in the first few scenes, but go ahead and skip the next paragraphs if you want to.

SORT OF SPOILERS... BARELY
Omg it's so good. The loathsome brother in law is so spectacularly loathsome. Like, I want him dead so badly, it's not enough that I know he's already dead. I want him dead in the scenes from the past as well. I want to see him die, but I also don't because his loathesomeness is so amazing.

I normally find characters that I hate boring. I get irritated with antagonists who are too evil. They lack dimension and seem to exist primarily as a foil for good characters. It's tedious.

However, this guy isn't a foil for good characters. He's just fucking lusciously hate-able and watching people hate him so much is so I credibly satisfying. He's not a foil at all, they're more foils to him.

Whomever is writing and directing this has first hand experience with fucking HATING an in-law. His quirks are just so specific and so gag-inducing. It's just too real.

When he kept calling his wife "mummy" I wanted to throw my tv out of the window, and then the sister fucking loses it and expresses exactly the bubbling disdain I was feeling.

It's so satisfying to have powerful feelings evoked and then have them so perfectly rendered by the other characters.

Art that makes you feel, and then captures those feelings and vividly reflects them back to you is very good art.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2323 on: September 14, 2022, 07:05:21 PM »
OMG Bad Sisters - the brother-in-law is so vile, it's so specific and so right on the edge of plausible-deniability where you just know that he's spent years building up the exact trigger-points for everyone he interacts with. It astounds me how much I want him dead.

In a different but also fun vein, I very much enjoyed the first episode of The Serpent Queen. I've read a lot about Catherine D'Medici and that time in French history and I just want to see Samantha Morton crush all her enemies.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2324 on: September 14, 2022, 07:45:17 PM »
OMG Bad Sisters - the brother-in-law is so vile, it's so specific and so right on the edge of plausible-deniability where you just know that he's spent years building up the exact trigger-points for everyone he interacts with. It astounds me how much I want him dead.

I know right!!!!

Like, I WOULD TOTALLY kill that guy. If I ever wondered if I was capable of murder*, this show has erased any doubt.

*Lol, I know, hilarious thing to say. No one who actually knows me has ever doubted that I'm capable of murder, to pretend otherwise is just silly.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2325 on: September 14, 2022, 09:00:45 PM »
Just started Cyberpunk on Netflix (loosely based on the videogame, which I'm vaguely aware was overhyped (I mean, Keanu was involved for goodness sakes), flopped, then was patched and fixed, and I think is well regarded now)...  anyway, the series is set in the same universe but can be understood without playing the game - I hope!  It's an intense watch but reminds me of why I so enjoyed anime back in the day.  Also unexpected NSFW stuff pops up unannounced, just FYI.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2326 on: September 18, 2022, 01:03:40 PM »
the series 'five days at memorial' was a great show up until the last episode and the last scene made no sense. still good especially with no real name brand actors.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2327 on: September 18, 2022, 01:38:27 PM »
the series 'five days at memorial' was a great show up until the last episode and the last scene made no sense. still good especially with no real name brand actors.

Other than Vera Farmiga is pretty name brand. She's had some big roles in some heavy hitter movies, and starring tv roles.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2328 on: September 18, 2022, 05:37:19 PM »
It's been mentioned, but I've just started Better call Saul in part because of this thread. Several episodes in and so far so good.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2329 on: September 18, 2022, 06:59:02 PM »

Other than Vera Farmiga is pretty name brand. She's had some big roles in some heavy hitter movies, and starring tv roles.

Vera Farminga was in my neighborhood shooting a film with George Clooney some years ago. They made Up in the Air. They used my friend David’s house as a standin for her  Chicago townhouse. It was very cool, David got to sit in the back of his house in the kitchen during all of the filming. It took 2 days for  one short scene. They manufactured snow on his front lawn for the scene. They took off his Victorian doors and reworked glass in the panels Then put the doors back the way they had been, perfectly. Their set craftsmen are  very very good.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2330 on: September 18, 2022, 07:17:43 PM »

Vera Farminga was in my neighborhood shooting a film with George Clooney some years ago. They made Up in the Air. They used my friend David’s house as a standin for her  Chicago townhouse. It was very cool, David got to sit in the back of his house in the kitchen during all of the filming. It took 2 days for  one short scene. They manufactured snow on his front lawn for the scene. They took off his Victorian doors and reworked glass in the panels Then put the doors back the way they had been, perfectly. Their set craftsmen are  very very good.

How cool and random!

I love her, always have.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2331 on: September 18, 2022, 07:20:02 PM »
I'm watching Keep Sweet, Pray and Obey on Netflix

I've read about a half dozen books about FLDS, and anyone who is reading my journal these days knows I have a special interest in cults.

It's wild to see all of these people I've read about in such gruesome detail.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2332 on: September 19, 2022, 07:49:47 AM »
Wife and I watched that recently. It really is disgusting what some people will do to control others in the name of religion.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #2333 on: September 19, 2022, 08:00:17 AM »
We are enjoying Rings of power and also House of dragons.

I find myself looking forward to Rings of power episodes every week. I am quite impressed with casting in ROP and speculation is that they are planning for5 seasons on it. Exciting news to us as we are LOTR fans.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2334 on: September 19, 2022, 11:54:26 AM »

In a different but also fun vein, I very much enjoyed the first episode of The Serpent Queen. I've read a lot about Catherine D'Medici and that time in French history and I just want to see Samantha Morton crush all her enemies.

Is this the Claes Bang character? I've really enjoyed his work in the handful of things I've seen.

I didn't know that there was show about CdM, and I'm super interested in that hypothetically; unfortunately, I can't watch Samantha Morton... good actress, but something about her face distresses and unnerves me too much. Bummer.

Re: the FLDS, I might have mentioned this before, but my husband did his early grad work based out of Jacob's Lake, right down the road from FLDS central in the 1990s and it permeated the culture. He said it was almost indescribably creepy...the small towns resembled a cross between Stepford Wives and a pedophilic cult. One of his field techs did manage to score one date with a young FLDS woman, though. Everyone assumed she was rebelling like a mo-fo.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2335 on: September 19, 2022, 04:10:00 PM »
It's been mentioned, but I've just started Better call Saul in part because of this thread. Several episodes in and so far so good.
Even though this show violates my normal filtering heuristic (being a spinoff and, in particular, being a spinoff of a terrible show), a friend of mine kept strongly recommending so I started to watch. A few episodes in and it does have a compelling pace to it. I haven't seen anything brilliant about it yet but will see at least how season 1 goes.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2336 on: September 19, 2022, 05:03:18 PM »
@wenchsenior I would still recommend giving it a go - there is a completely different also very good actress playing the young CDM and the role really really works for Morton.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2337 on: September 20, 2022, 01:36:57 PM »
Even though this show violates my normal filtering heuristic (being a spinoff and, in particular, being a spinoff of a terrible show), a friend of mine kept strongly recommending so I started to watch. A few episodes in and it does have a compelling pace to it. I haven't seen anything brilliant about it yet but will see at least how season 1 goes.

I enjoyed the first season enough to finish it, but couldn't even make it two episodes into the second season. I had a similar reaction to Breaking Bad, I liked the first season well enough, but then just couldn't care.

I was also watching Goliath around the same time, which is a very similar premise, but kind of batshit insane brilliant with a Twin Peaks kind of vibe and Billy Bob Thorton playing...well...himself...

So the contrast made Better Call Saul just seem so dull.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2338 on: September 20, 2022, 01:47:07 PM »

Is this the Claes Bang character? I've really enjoyed his work in the handful of things I've seen.

I didn't know that there was show about CdM, and I'm super interested in that hypothetically; unfortunately, I can't watch Samantha Morton... good actress, but something about her face distresses and unnerves me too much. Bummer.

Re: the FLDS, I might have mentioned this before, but my husband did his early grad work based out of Jacob's Lake, right down the road from FLDS central in the 1990s and it permeated the culture. He said it was almost indescribably creepy...the small towns resembled a cross between Stepford Wives and a pedophilic cult. One of his field techs did manage to score one date with a young FLDS woman, though. Everyone assumed she was rebelling like a mo-fo.

Ooh, crazy.

The thing I'm enjoying about the series is that I've read all of these books written by women who left, but the show has a huge amount of interview footage with the men who left, who have very different insights.

Warren basically kicked out anyone who mattered when he took over. Literally every threat to his power was excommunicated. So this means there are tons of his siblings and fellow leaders in the community who can comment on how the sausage was made, so to speak.

I've always heard about Warren Jeff's rise to power from the women's perspective, and he was extremely powerful and domineering over them from the beginning. But the way the men tell it, Warren was a weasely little loser that none of them ever took seriously. he had power over the women because he ran the school, but he had no power over the men until his sweeping takeover, which is why he needed to kick them all out.

The show is also helping me understand the economics of it all better. Again, the perspective of the women didn't really give insight into the business side because they weren't involved in it, but the excommunicated men were the people running the businesses.

I didn't realize that they used the boys as free labour, and that's why they were able to build such massive construction businesses because they could undercut all competitors prices and still have massive profits. They pull the boys out of school, work them to the bone as literal children, and then kick them out when they get old enough to be sniffing around the girls.

The girls are having babies starting at 15, so the supply of free labour is never ending, and overhead stays freakishly low.

I finally get it how they're worth 9 figures despite being a total clusterfuck mess of an organization.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2339 on: September 20, 2022, 02:30:18 PM »
That is so interesting!  I'll bet my husband doesn't know anything about this aspect of it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2340 on: September 20, 2022, 05:27:54 PM »

I enjoyed the first season enough to finish it, but couldn't even make it two episodes into the second season. I had a similar reaction to Breaking Bad, I liked the first season well enough, but then just couldn't care.

I was also watching Goliath around the same time, which is a very similar premise, but kind of batshit insane brilliant with a Twin Peaks kind of vibe and Billy Bob Thorton playing...well...himself...

That’s funny because I thought Goliath was a pale imitation of Rake and not especially well written or acted.

Rake, on the other hand….chef’s kiss.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2341 on: September 20, 2022, 06:45:14 PM »

That’s funny because I thought Goliath was a pale imitation of Rake and not especially well written or acted.

Rake is pure awesome, but I generally love Australian tv.

Funny, I never connected Goliath and Take, I suppose they are kind of similar. I truly adore much of Goliath though, especially this last season about the opioid crisis with JK Simmons as the main Sackler-esque character.

I am beyond obsessed with the Sacklers, so that season was frickin awesome.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2342 on: September 21, 2022, 08:05:03 AM »

Rake is pure awesome, but I generally love Australian tv.

Funny, I never connected Goliath and Take, I suppose they are kind of similar. I truly adore much of Goliath though, especially this last season about the opioid crisis with JK Simmons as the main Sackler-esque character.

I am beyond obsessed with the Sacklers, so that season was frickin awesome.

I only watched the first season of it. I didn’t know it was still going. I do like JK Simmons a lot

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2343 on: September 21, 2022, 08:13:59 AM »

I only watched the first season of it. I didn’t know it was still going. I do like JK Simmons a lot

It's like Prime with Glen Close where each season is a different, massive case, and a totally different plot tone. One season is all about water use in almond farming, with Dennis Quaid and Amy Brenneman and it goes super whacky, Twin Peaks sideways, but I kind of liked it.

The last season was the opioid season and it was my favourite, perhaps just because of the subject matter, but I also just found it really well produced. Still weird, but very engaging kind of weird.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2344 on: September 21, 2022, 11:17:19 AM »
Pachinko on Apple TV is really good and covers a subject that doesn't get a lot of airtime - the Zainichi presence in Japan after the Japanese occupation of Korea. I also appreciate that it's trilingual and that the actors have the intonation and rhythm of each language down, it sounds very fluent and realistic. Plus Lee Min Ho in a dapper 1920s suit.

Just started watching this. Lots of good drama.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2345 on: September 21, 2022, 11:28:19 AM »
Anyone else excited for the Amazon Prime - Rings of Power series?  Also enjoying the HBOMax GOT series, but the Dragon / live action effects are a bit off putting.

We're going to watch The Rings of Power tonight. I'm conflicted if I want to watch House of the Dragon or not. I was turned off by the later seasons of Game of Thrones.

I am watching both Rings of Power and House of Dragon.  My excitement was high for both of these and find them enjoyable.  I do find they are both moving slowly and not living up to the hype I built them up to be in my mind.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2346 on: September 21, 2022, 11:32:21 AM »
Pachinko on Apple TV is really good and covers a subject that doesn't get a lot of airtime - the Zainichi presence in Japan after the Japanese occupation of Korea. I also appreciate that it's trilingual and that the actors have the intonation and rhythm of each language down, it sounds very fluent and realistic. Plus Lee Min Ho in a dapper 1920s suit.

Just started watching this. Lots of good drama.

wow, I had no idea this book had been turned into a series.  I liked the book ok, but think it could be really fascinating as a TV series, and it sounds like it is.  I should mark it down for when/if I get around to Apple TV. 

I shoulda been keeping a spreadsheet all this time of what to watch where so I can be efficient in deciding on and subscribing to the services in turn.  Some of you all must be doing exactly that, right?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2347 on: September 21, 2022, 01:37:04 PM »
I just read an article about House of the Dragon analyzing why it's so unbearably boring and they fucking nailed it.

No one ever, ever talks about anything but succession. That's it. No character has any motivation or personal character beyond their connection to the succession plot. They had one character who seemed to have their own life and priorities and then killed them off the very scene we met them. Then they had another character who was still directly related to the succession plot, but had their own motivations, and they were killed a scene or two later.

GoT characters all had their own character development and motivations, and it all drew back to the throne, but often only very, very loosely.

House of the Dragon, now that I've read that article seems completely ridiculous watching it and seeing absolutely nothing beyond one point of plot.

It's boring because it's one-dimensional as fuck.

It made me so happy to read something that so accurately articulated my response to it. It's not bad, it actually does an okay job considering it's one and only plot point, but that really nails down the tonal difference with GoT and what's missing.

Also, I keep reading about how massive the budget it for it, but if that's the case, why does it look so cartoony compared to GoT?

Is it a case of bigger budget so they're throwing in way more CG than is necessary, but even expensive CG has limits and looks like a video game?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2348 on: September 25, 2022, 07:33:44 AM »
Binge watched 'The Patient' on Hulu.  Not for everyone, but I thought it was fantastic.  Definitely lends itself to good open-ended discussions, which is a big plus for me.  I know that the idea for it isn't new or groundbreaking, and having Steve Carell in a dramatic role throws people off, so there are plenty of complaints people can have, but for the right person (like me), this was an unexpected gem!

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2349 on: September 26, 2022, 11:11:33 AM »
Finished season 1 of 'Pachinko'. What a great show.