Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 707686 times)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1950 on: March 07, 2022, 11:46:30 AM »
Watching the first episode of 'The Dropout' on Hulu.  A deep dive in to Elizabeth Holmes' life
What I find so odd about her is that she said her favorite song is "I'm in a Hurry" but she apparently never listened to the actual lyrics. Either way, I'm going to watch this on Hulu, thanks!
Well I'm only halfway through the first episode and so far all I can think is "How did the uber-sexy Naveen Andrews manage to make himself look so frumpy?" I'm sure there's more to it but that's where I'm stuck right now.

It's a fair question. He's unrecognizable in the role.

I'm sure it's a fascinating character study and he's broadening his acting skills. But at what cost to us?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1951 on: March 09, 2022, 11:04:03 AM »
Watching the first episode of 'The Dropout' on Hulu.  A deep dive in to Elizabeth Holmes' life
What I find so odd about her is that she said her favorite song is "I'm in a Hurry" but she apparently never listened to the actual lyrics. Either way, I'm going to watch this on Hulu, thanks!
Well I'm only halfway through the first episode and so far all I can think is "How did the uber-sexy Naveen Andrews manage to make himself look so frumpy?" I'm sure there's more to it but that's where I'm stuck right now.

I'm sure it's a fascinating character study and he's broadening his acting skills. But at what cost to us?

Haha. I was thinking about signing onto the streaming service just so I can watch Naveen. I have not seen him in quite a while. But if he’s just gonna play an unsexy corporate drone, then maybe I won’t. But I’m glad for him that he got a big role.

That scene where he flips back his hair in The English Patient goes down in history as one of the hottest scenes a man has ever done. That is  otherwise a ridiculously overrated Snoozefest of a film.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:43:13 AM by iris lily »

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1952 on: March 11, 2022, 04:06:05 PM »
Started watching "The Alienist" and wow is it good. Currently available to stream on HBO Max. It originally aired on TNT but I think a lot of people missed it because it wasn't on one of the better known channels. Very good, albeit very dark, series.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1953 on: March 11, 2022, 05:33:09 PM »

Haha. I was thinking about signing onto the streaming service just so I can watch Naveen. I have not seen him in quite a while. But if he’s just gonna play and unsexy Ted asked carpet drown, then maybe I won’t. But I’m glad for him that he got a big role.

That scene where he flips back his hair in The English Patient goes down in history as one of the hottest scenes a man has ever done. That is  otherwise a ridiculously overrated Snoozefest of a film.

Here I am wondering why I have never seen the English Patient.  It streaming on Prime, I might give it a look even with if it is a snooze fest.  I had no idea Naveen was in it.

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1954 on: March 11, 2022, 07:08:39 PM »

Haha. I was thinking about signing onto the streaming service just so I can watch Naveen. I have not seen him in quite a while. But if he’s just gonna play and unsexy Ted asked carpet drown, then maybe I won’t. But I’m glad for him that he got a big role.

Here I am wondering why I have never seen the English Patient.  It streaming on Prime, I might give it a look even with if it is a snooze fest.  I had no idea Naveen was in it.

Not a snooze fest in my opinion, just deliberate, almost languid at times, which is consistent with it's "time before the war in the desert" setting. It's a beautiful film and won best picture for a reason.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1955 on: March 11, 2022, 07:17:49 PM »
Preacher on Hulu is outright bonkers.  It starts out pretty crazy in the first season and just gets more and more insane with each new season. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1956 on: March 11, 2022, 07:38:14 PM »
Preacher on Hulu is outright bonkers.  It starts out pretty crazy in the first season and just gets more and more insane with each new season.

I remember liking the comic many years ago when reading it.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1957 on: March 11, 2022, 08:27:43 PM »
Wow, Upload (on Prime) just surprised me with Season 2!  Plus 'Our Flag Means Death' dropped the next 3 episodes and I'm enjoying the series immensely.  Guess I'm set this weekend!

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1958 on: March 11, 2022, 09:07:11 PM »
Vikings Valhalla. I'm a sucker for Vikings.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1959 on: March 11, 2022, 10:41:02 PM »
Vikings Valhalla. I'm a sucker for Vikings.

Yeah me too.. I watched the entire original series every time it came out.  I haven't started on the new one yet. I started watching the first episode and fell asleep.   But I was tired when I started watchign it.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1960 on: March 12, 2022, 06:39:46 AM »
Watching a little more of 'The Tourist' and I can definitely recommend this one.  Based in Australia, so that gives it some Mustachian roots...

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1961 on: March 12, 2022, 10:56:32 AM »

I remember liking the comic many years ago when reading it.

It's awesome for the first couple of seasons. And then it kinds goes off the rails, IMO, but you can't stop watching.

Fun fact: Ruth Negga, who plays the female lead, was nominated for an Oscar this year!

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1962 on: March 21, 2022, 07:21:32 AM »
anyone else enjoying 'severence'? i'm sucked in but i'm worried it's going to end poorly.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1963 on: March 21, 2022, 09:35:20 AM »
I've dropped everything to watch 'Our Flag Means Death'.  It's a bit of Black Adder, Flight of the Conchords, and Monty Python...  fingers crossed.

Thoughts?

I like it fine so far, but I wouldn't say I love it like I love those shows you mentioned.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1964 on: March 21, 2022, 09:45:01 AM »
I've dropped everything to watch 'Our Flag Means Death'.  It's a bit of Black Adder, Flight of the Conchords, and Monty Python...  fingers crossed.

Thoughts?

I like it fine so far, but I wouldn't say I love it like I love those shows you mentioned.

I'm getting a nice chuckle out of it, but I agree that it's not up there with the other classics.  I'd still recommend it though - who has a full library at sea?!  Did you mean to stab me?...  and the like... 

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1965 on: March 21, 2022, 11:30:32 PM »
anyone else enjoying 'severence'? i'm sucked in but i'm worried it's going to end poorly.

Not yet, waiting until there's more on Apple TV+ before I sign back up, but Severance does look really good.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1966 on: March 25, 2022, 04:44:12 AM »
Mrs. Miller and I just finished with "Last Kingdom" on Netflix last night. Don't let the somewhat generic title fool you; this series is amazingly well done.  It's a fictional story (with some historical accuracy) that chronicles the conflicts between the Danes and Saxons in what is now England in the 800s. Tense action scenes, beautiful backdrops, riveting characters, satisfying emotional beats - the main character's journey, which spans decades, is one of the most epic things I've watched in my lifetime. And the writers/actors STICK the landing, providing the audience a superb finale.

I can't rave enough. An easy 10/10. Whereas GoT left me with an awful taste in my mouth, Last Kingdom compels me to rave about its awesomeness to all of my friends. But I have like 4 friends, and I've told them all, so here I am!

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1967 on: March 25, 2022, 07:09:11 AM »
I started watching Last Kingdom a few years back and made it halfway through the first season on a free trial of Netflix. I never did make my way back around to see how it turned out, but I may give that another day in court.

Wife and I are finishing up Manifest now and will be looking for a new show soon.

I also watched the first episode of Reacher on Amazon Prime and liked it enough that I want to see where the story goes

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1968 on: March 25, 2022, 08:31:17 AM »
Mrs. Miller and I just finished with "Last Kingdom" on Netflix last night. Don't let the somewhat generic title fool you; this series is amazingly well done.  It's a fictional story (with some historical accuracy) that chronicles the conflicts between the Danes and Saxons in what is now England in the 800s. Tense action scenes, beautiful backdrops, riveting characters, satisfying emotional beats - the main character's journey, which spans decades, is one of the most epic things I've watched in my lifetime. And the writers/actors STICK the landing, providing the audience a superb finale.

I can't rave enough. An easy 10/10. Whereas GoT left me with an awful taste in my mouth, Last Kingdom compels me to rave about its awesomeness to all of my friends. But I have like 4 friends, and I've told them all, so here I am!

You sound exactly like my husband and me trying to get the rest of the planet to watch Black Sails. We definitely need to carve out time to watch LK.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1969 on: March 25, 2022, 09:41:46 AM »
I also started Black Sails and got through season 1 and a few episodes of season 2 and then sort of abandoned it (I'm sensing a theme in my series watching). It's on the list to get back around to at some point

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1970 on: March 25, 2022, 10:06:50 AM »
Finished season 6 of Shetland.  Happy that the quality has remained consistent throughout.  The stories might be a little overly complex, but I watch it for the scenery and great characters.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1971 on: March 26, 2022, 07:12:31 PM »

Thoughts?

I'm getting a nice chuckle out of it, but I agree that it's not up there with the other classics.  I'd still recommend it though - who has a full library at sea?!  Did you mean to stab me?...  and the like...

One interesting thing about the show, it's based on a real 'Stede Bonnet', it's been fun to watch the show with Wikipedia at my fingertips...
Stede Bonnet was an early 18th-century Barbadian pirate, sometimes called "The Gentleman Pirate" because he was a moderately wealthy land-owner before turning to a life of crime. Bonnet was born into a wealthy English family on the island of Barbados, and inherited the family estate after his father's death in 1694.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1972 on: March 28, 2022, 07:56:44 AM »
started watching 'vikings' on amazon prime. last night we abandoned 'vikings' for 'underground railroad'. that first episode was brutal but really well done.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1973 on: March 28, 2022, 08:23:52 AM »

You sound exactly like my husband and me trying to get the rest of the planet to watch Black Sails. We definitely need to carve out time to watch LK.

I might look into that! Basically if we could find a "Last Kingdom" show, but with pirates, Mrs. Miller and I would be ALL IN.

Mrs. Miller does like her some sexy pirates (she likes me too).

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1974 on: March 31, 2022, 09:15:45 AM »
It's not really a "TV series", but I love the "Dangerous Roads" mini documentaries on YouTube. There are dozens of them.
I realize the title is a little click baity, but the ones I'm referring to are put out by Tony Comiti productions (he is a French ex war correspondent).
They are really fabulous views of real people around the world and the journeys they undertake to move people, animals, and goods, by car, truck, boat, bicycle, and foot. Oh, and sometimes zip line.
Eye opening to view from our privileged western experience.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1975 on: April 02, 2022, 08:03:29 AM »
I am oddly obsessed with Kevin Can F Himself.  There are so many things about this show that I should hate, but I am five episodes in and am already disappointed to hear that it is being cancelled after the second season. 

Annie Murphy really is wonderful, I am looking forward to seeing where her career goes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1976 on: April 02, 2022, 11:19:34 AM »
Severence is a fantastic show!

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1977 on: April 02, 2022, 12:36:59 PM »

i agree. i so hope it doesn't jump the shark.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1978 on: April 03, 2022, 08:19:06 AM »

Not a snooze fest in my opinion, just deliberate, almost languid at times, which is consistent with it's "time before the war in the desert" setting. It's a beautiful film and won best picture for a reason.

Agree. Great film. Wish they made more of 'em like this now.  I think I'm particularly susceptible to movies about expeditions into the [desert/jungle/savannah etc.] b/c of my history during biology fieldwork in remote areas with small groups of people.

And yes, that moment with Naveen Andrews flipping his hair is incredibly hot. There's a lot of hot scenes, but that one really sort of came out of nowhere.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1979 on: April 03, 2022, 08:20:33 AM »
I also started Black Sails and got through season 1 and a few episodes of season 2 and then sort of abandoned it (I'm sensing a theme in my series watching). It's on the list to get back around to at some point

We did the same thing; it took us a couple more years to get back around to restart. Totally worth it!

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1980 on: April 04, 2022, 06:57:47 AM »
Awesome! I did enjoy it while I was watching. I think the only issue now will be convincing my wife to give it a day in court, lol

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1981 on: April 04, 2022, 04:27:13 PM »
Black Sails didn't grab me, possibly because I went through a real pirate-nerd stage in my teens and read a whole lot about the area and main players and this felt like watching a story I'd read a number of times before. Oddly enough, I loved the first episode of Our Flag Means Death which is the same sort of thing but silly?

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #1982 on: April 05, 2022, 06:13:53 AM »
I started watching Upload on amazon last night. It's a sort of dark and twisted humor but I'm enjoying it so far.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1983 on: April 05, 2022, 07:27:33 AM »
Black Sails didn't grab me, possibly because I went through a real pirate-nerd stage in my teens and read a whole lot about the area and main players and this felt like watching a story I'd read a number of times before. Oddly enough, I loved the first episode of Our Flag Means Death which is the same sort of thing but silly?

Keep us posted as you watch this. I'm a fan of Rhys Darby from Flight of the Conchords and I think he's hilarious. I want to circle around to this at some point if it's good

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1984 on: April 05, 2022, 07:43:27 AM »
I am oddly obsessed with Kevin Can F Himself.  There are so many things about this show that I should hate, but I am five episodes in and am already disappointed to hear that it is being cancelled after the second season. 

Annie Murphy really is wonderful, I am looking forward to seeing where her career goes.
Thanks for mentioning this. I did find the first episode a bit strange to get through (I mistakenly thought the neighbours were the main couple's kids and was very confused as to why people the same age or older were playing the kids) but I'm really enjoying it and, like you, disappointed that it got cancelled.

I find myself fascinated with how the changes in light (and whatever else it is) affect the scenes in the different "worlds".

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1985 on: April 05, 2022, 07:07:07 PM »
The Outlaws on Prime.  I just can't seem to get enough Christopher Walken these days (he's also in Severance).  Ever since the Fatboy Slim video catapulted him up there with Willem Dafoe and Michael Keaton (which reminds me, I need to re-watch Gung Ho), I have high regard for these male actors that have spanned the decades and are crushing it.  On the flip side, I don't care much for Clint Eastwood and I'm not even sure Tom Cruise is still alive :)

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1986 on: April 11, 2022, 07:19:52 AM »

what did you think of the season finale?

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1987 on: April 11, 2022, 09:21:06 AM »
We just finished Season 2 of "Upload" on Amazon Prime.

IMO, it's a really sweet and funny show with satire that really hits the mark re: technology, privacy, ethics, etc. The two leads have strong chemistry. Andy Allo is adorable and oozes likability. I would give it 8/10. It would be higher, but Season 2 only has seven 30-minute episodes, and I wanted more. It does end on a cliffhanger (just like Season 1 did). Season 3 is rumored to drop in the second half of 2023.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1988 on: April 11, 2022, 06:51:12 PM »
+1 for Severance. Incredibly unnerving and mysterious. I still can't believe that this is (mostly) directed by Ben "Zoolander" Stiller.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1989 on: April 11, 2022, 06:52:18 PM »
The original British version of Ghosts is delightful.  I tried the US version, but couldn’t make it through the first episode, probably because it just isn’t as good as the UK one. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1990 on: April 11, 2022, 08:43:45 PM »

what did you think of the season finale?

I thought it was pretty awesome!  Although it sets up a potentially very dark second season.

Every episode from the first season was solid. 

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1991 on: April 11, 2022, 10:12:37 PM »
The original British version of Ghosts is delightful.  I tried the US version, but couldn’t make it through the first episode, probably because it just isn’t as good as the UK one.

Yeah, it is a charming show.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 08:28:30 AM by Watchmaker »

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1992 on: April 11, 2022, 10:21:11 PM »
The Outlaws.
It has Christopher Walken; I'll stop talking now.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1993 on: April 12, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
Bloodline on Netflix.

Dysfunctional family puts it lightly. Black sheep of family comes home, and all hell breaks loose.

It is 3 seasons, and I am totally addicted to it!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1994 on: April 12, 2022, 01:58:33 PM »
+1 for Severance. Incredibly unnerving and mysterious. I still can't believe that this is (mostly) directed by Ben "Zoolander" Stiller.

He's a pretty diverse guy.  He's also a Goodwill Ambassador for the UNHCR and is apparently developing a sitcom about a Syrian refugee (based on a true story, I think).  On the podcast I heard him on recently, he mentioned that after reading the writing sample that turned into Severance he did think it would end up being a little funnier than it has actually turned out to be.  But nice to know he can do other things than comedy. Although Meet the Parents and There's Something About Mary were some of my favorites ever back in the day.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1995 on: April 12, 2022, 06:47:23 PM »

He's a pretty diverse guy.  He's also a Goodwill Ambassador for the UNHCR and is apparently developing a sitcom about a Syrian refugee (based on a true story, I think).  On the podcast I heard him on recently, he mentioned that after reading the writing sample that turned into Severance he did think it would end up being a little funnier than it has actually turned out to be.  But nice to know he can do other things than comedy. Although Meet the Parents and There's Something About Mary were some of my favorites ever back in the day.

Yup, he's actually a very talented director and a bit of an all around renaissance man. I first took notice of his work behind the camera when he directed all the episodes of "Escape at Dannemora", a show I loved that I think a lot of people missed.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1996 on: April 12, 2022, 06:56:58 PM »
Bloodline on Netflix.

Dysfunctional family puts it lightly. Black sheep of family comes home, and all hell breaks loose.

It is 3 seasons, and I am totally addicted to it!

I liked that one, great cast.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1997 on: April 12, 2022, 07:35:32 PM »

Yup, he's actually a very talented director and a bit of an all around renaissance man. I first took notice of his work behind the camera when he directed all the episodes of "Escape at Dannemora", a show I loved that I think a lot of people missed.

Oh perfect!  That's on my list, but haven't gotten to it yet.  It will be good to know that when I finally have a chance to watch.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1998 on: April 14, 2022, 08:37:36 PM »
I stumbled across 'Futureman' on Hulu and can't stop laughing.  It's campy in the style of Evil Dead and Something About Mary...  I'm just really enjoying it so far, midway through episode 2...

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1999 on: April 15, 2022, 07:00:56 PM »
I stumbled across 'Futureman' on Hulu and can't stop laughing.  It's campy in the style of Evil Dead and Something About Mary...  I'm just really enjoying it so far, midway through episode 2...
It's a great series! so much fun.

Here's a weird one - The Great Kiwi Bake Off s3 is full of the ridiculous accents of my people and is also kinda refreshingly non-professional in output. Like, the original UK Bake Off is *intimidating* with radical flavour combinations and semi-professional constructions skills, whereas this seems to be mostly average people who can make some cakes.