Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 707254 times)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1650 on: July 05, 2021, 09:00:41 PM »
I breezed theough Feel Good on NEtflix, a comedy series with Mae Martin, a standup comedian.
It is semi-autobiographical and is about her addiction and love life, navigating gender and sexual orientations roles.

She is a cute girl who looks about 14. She is 30.

Lisa Kudrow plays her mother.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1651 on: July 05, 2021, 09:03:44 PM »
I like Mannix, Columbo and Hawaii 5-0.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1652 on: July 06, 2021, 12:17:06 AM »
I breezed theough Feel Good on NEtflix, a comedy series with Mae Martin, a standup comedian.
It is semi-autobiographical and is about her addiction and love life, navigating gender and sexual orientations roles.

She is a cute girl who looks about 14. She is 30.

Lisa Kudrow plays her mother.
I did the same a couple of months ago. Really enjoyed it - another one that flies past when you're watching but manages to pack in quite a bit of food for thought.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1653 on: July 06, 2021, 07:22:51 AM »
finished the last season of 'bosch'. it was consistently good though not great.
started 'hand of god'. not that great so far.
anyone watching 'the tomorrow war'?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1654 on: July 06, 2021, 07:35:08 AM »

Hand Of God really grew on me.

You just kind of have to eventually go with the flow of the ridiculousness, but there are some really fun characters and dynamics.

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1655 on: July 06, 2021, 07:36:06 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed The Tomorrow War. Fun summer popcorn flick that had the misfortune of release during Covid. Blockbuster ala "Independence Day" any other year. Not going to win any Oscars, of course.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1656 on: July 06, 2021, 03:45:38 PM »
The trailer for Season 3 of Succession dropped today. I got actual chills when I watched it. The Nicolas Britell score is punchy. Family drama at its finest.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1657 on: July 06, 2021, 06:53:15 PM »
Okay, so I'm a few episodes into Sweet Tooth, and certain things just don't make sense to me.

So all kids born after a certain point are hybrids? And for no rational reason, everyone assumes that the hybrids cause the illness, even though that makes zero sense?

But the part that makes absolutely no sense is that if all children are born hybrid after that point, do they all just intend to let the human race die out? And am I really supposed to believe that the entire population was just like "yep, go ahead and murder ALL of our babies, no problem, they obviously caused the illness despite there being no evidence of that". The strongest human drive on earth is to protect offspring, far stronger than survival instinct, so I'm not buying that an entire generation were like "yep, kill our adorable furry babies"

It just doesn't make sense to me, unless I misunderstood something along the way.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1658 on: July 06, 2021, 09:15:45 PM »
Okay, so I'm a few episodes into Sweet Tooth, and certain things just don't make sense to me.

So all kids born after a certain point are hybrids? And for no rational reason, everyone assumes that the hybrids cause the illness, even though that makes zero sense?

But the part that makes absolutely no sense is that if all children are born hybrid after that point, do they all just intend to let the human race die out? And am I really supposed to believe that the entire population was just like "yep, go ahead and murder ALL of our babies, no problem, they obviously caused the illness despite there being no evidence of that". The strongest human drive on earth is to protect offspring, far stronger than survival instinct, so I'm not buying that an entire generation were like "yep, kill our adorable furry babies"

It just doesn't make sense to me, unless I misunderstood something along the way.
It didn't appear that all human babies were born hybrids, as evidenced in later episodes. And since the appearance of hybrids seemed to coincide with the virus, why would it be far-fetched that some segment of the population assumed they caused it? Aren't we now dealing with people who still assume the COVID-19 vaccination makes you sterile/isn't needed because it's all a hoax/is Bill Gates' microchip?

Hmm, I must be confused then, and should probably put my details in a spoiler. Oops.

Spoiler: show
In the second episode where they find the mother and father and son in a tourist cabin and the big football guy tries to leave the deer boy behind, the mom says that her son was one of the last normal human kids born in the world, which means that *all* babies born since have been hybrid. So that means every parent accepts their kids being hunted with no evidence? And everyone is cool with extinction? Except for a small band of tweens and teens led by a scrappy girl?

I don't know if there are more kids to be met, but I've seen the scrappy girl and her motley crew, and none of them are younger than Gus. So either all babies are born hybrid, or that mom character gave inaccurate exposition in a tv show that already purposefully has very limited exposition. So if one of the few factual tidbits of explanatory info we get turned out to be from an unreliable narrator, I'm going to be pissed.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1659 on: July 15, 2021, 07:11:32 AM »
Loved Mr Inbetween on Hulu.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #1660 on: July 15, 2021, 09:09:27 AM »
Loved Mr Inbetween on Hulu.

+1

Watched the final episode last night. Really sorry to see it end.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1661 on: July 16, 2021, 11:08:59 AM »
Schmigadoon!  (Apple TV+) 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1662 on: July 16, 2021, 11:30:58 AM »
I'm watching season 4 of Atypical, which I really liked at first, but am getting increasingly irritated that the main characters function level seems to be dramatically increasing every season.

Spoiler: show

Uh, that's just not how autism works. I would enjoy watching a young man with autism slowly learn adaptive skills to find ways to thrive, but that's not really what's happening.

He's gone from high functioning autism to ultra high functioning autism, to basically being neurotypical but with some behavioural particularities.

For example, I was really excited to see how he would handle university, since that was such a huge focus in terms of "can he or can't he handle it??" But instead, they don't cover school AT ALL, other than that he misses a midterm, but they give no explanation as to why.

I feel like the character from the first season really would have needed a lot of support and coping skills to go to university, he was barely able to handle highschool without enormous support from his sister.

Now university is just no big deal? Totally within his adaptive capacity? With no special supports other than a support group of similar students? And no therapist???

I worked as an academic support for austistic children, this kind of portrayal just seems disrespectful to the very real challenges and accommodations that high functioning people with autism need in order to thrive.

Like yeah, a lot of people with autism can thrive and be incredibly successful with the right skills and supports, but what the show is doing is making it seem like he doesn't need them, and if that's true, then he never really needed them to begin with, and his mom was actually unreasonable all along...which doesn't sit well with me after all I've seen parents go through in fighting for their kids.

I won't even get into casting a neurotypical actor when there are armies of talented actors with autism out there, that's a whole other can of worms. I just find that this show is feeding into the not very cool illusion that if people with autism were just able to be a little more reasonable, that they would manage to get their behaviour and reactions under control.

The main character is so much the "ideal" lovable person with autism. His limitations are very minor, he doesn't seem to require much accomodation at all, and he seems to be devoid of any actual character flaws beyond "sometimes being autistic makes it hard for him to come off as caring as he actually is" kind of thing.

Meanwhile, in contrast, Special is written and starring a man who actually has CP. His struggles and limitations are pulled from the writer's personal experience. He doesn't always succeed, he isn't always lovable (he's actually profoundly flawed and can be a total prick), and his life doesn't always just get better.

The differences between the shows are becoming really stark as Atypical moves more and more towards neurotypical-perception-of-autism-wish-fulfillment rather than representation.

It's just moving further and further away from what I've seen in my personal experience of working with real families navigating the world with a neuro-atypical family member. Meanwhile, Special rings so true to my personal experience having poorly understood physical disabilities.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1663 on: July 19, 2021, 09:00:51 AM »
I just watched the first season of This Way Up and really enjoyed it. The main character's mental illness was so accurately presented-- I could really see my own experience in hers. But most importantly it was quite funny.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:28:47 PM by Watchmaker »

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1664 on: July 19, 2021, 09:07:58 AM »

Hand Of God really grew on me.

You just kind of have to eventually go with the flow of the ridiculousness, but there are some really fun characters and dynamics.

the 'hand of god' really did get better. the story seemed to come together about mid season.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1665 on: July 19, 2021, 08:46:12 PM »
Really enjoyed Mythic Quest on Apple+.

Felt it perfectly the captured the good and bad of a creative tech work place.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1666 on: July 20, 2021, 10:26:47 AM »
Ted Lasso. Just devoured season 1 on a rec from a friend and it might be the greatest thing ever.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1667 on: August 01, 2021, 05:31:23 AM »
i saw that apple tv is making 'wool' into a tv show. i can not wait.
https://www.thedowndeep.net/2021/05/casting-on-rebecca-ferguson-announced-as-juliette/

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1668 on: August 01, 2021, 07:01:37 AM »
i saw that apple tv is making 'wool' into a tv show. i can not wait.
https://www.thedowndeep.net/2021/05/casting-on-rebecca-ferguson-announced-as-juliette/

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?  That's going to be crazy.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1669 on: August 07, 2021, 09:42:43 AM »
Didnt think I would but actually loved Downton Abbey. Now were into the fourth Season of Crown. I dont like quite as much seems much slower but like for different reasons mostly the history of things.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1670 on: August 07, 2021, 10:05:24 AM »
I rewatched Downton Abbey over the winter before watching the movie.  I thought I'd be bored, but it hooked me right back in.  It's been about 4 years since I watched it the first time.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1671 on: August 21, 2021, 10:33:16 AM »
I binged re-watched the 2018 production of Vanity Fair. It is really good. It has one major mis-cast, but all other roles are perfectly cast.

Thackeray was a wise man.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #1672 on: August 21, 2021, 12:43:47 PM »
Ted Lasso. Just devoured season 1 on a rec from a friend and it might be the greatest thing ever.

I agree. Setting aside every Friday as a date night with my husband to watch season two.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1673 on: August 22, 2021, 03:51:12 AM »
My wife and I watched Virgin River on Netflix, which I didn't really care for, but she enjoyed.

We watched the movie Friday Night Lights and decided to try the series of the same name on Netflix and we have both been enjoying that.

Before those, we binged Castle and Criminal Minds.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1674 on: August 22, 2021, 06:12:00 AM »
My wife and I watched Virgin River on Netflix, which I didn't really care for, but she enjoyed.

We watched the movie Friday Night Lights and decided to try the series of the same name on Netflix and we have both been enjoying that.

Before those, we binged Castle and Criminal Minds.

Years ago people raved so much about Friday Night Lights, I tried to get into it, but didn't really love it, and I believe season 2 was the writers strike season, so the plot is so unbelievably bad, there was just no coming back for me.

So heads up, one of the seasons is brutally bad, and can actually be skipped because the writers just pretended it never happened when they returned.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #1675 on: August 23, 2021, 09:07:53 PM »
Anyone watch The Chair on Netflix with Sandra Oh? I watched it and have mixed but generally positive feelings about it, at least compared to most crap on Netflix.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1676 on: August 24, 2021, 03:24:47 AM »
Recently watched The Movies that made us on Netflix. 2 seasons (4 episodes each). Each episode gives the back story on how a particular iconic movie was made.

Back to the Future
Home Alone
Forest Gump
Dirty Dancing
Die Hard
Ghostbusters
etc.

It was fun to watch and see how many of these movies almost didn't get made for the most ridiculous of reasons.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1677 on: August 24, 2021, 05:15:05 AM »
I just finished Schitt's Creek. I might need to go back and rewatch it just to catch more of the great dialogue. What a well-done show! It also makes me want to rewatch Parks and Recreation, another great, well-written comedy series that creates its own world over several seasons.

I'm also through all existing episodes of Cobra Kai (well written and cast, doesn't take itself too seriously), so I need something else to watch. I appreciate the recent suggestions.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1678 on: August 24, 2021, 05:57:32 AM »
I just started watching Outer Banks.  The story line is a little silly but the kids are decent actors.  Plus I've always wanted to live on the water so I love watching shows about coastal/lake life. 

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1679 on: August 24, 2021, 09:07:13 AM »
Anyone watch The Chair on Netflix with Sandra Oh? I watched it and have mixed but generally positive feelings about it, at least compared to most crap on Netflix.

We watched it and enjoyed it quite a bit!

My husband is an academic and still enjoyed it. I know a lot of our academic friends that are women and POC have disliked it because it hit a little too close to home and brought up a lot of negative stuff for them.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1680 on: August 24, 2021, 10:16:42 AM »

My husband is an academic and still enjoyed it. I know a lot of our academic friends that are women and POC have disliked it because it hit a little too close to home and brought up a lot of negative stuff for them.

Me, too. I used to be a department chair before I resigned my tenured position out of general disgust. I hear lots of good things about this series, including from women POC who say it is almost too painfully accurate. Personally, I don’t think I can watch it. I left academia for a reason.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1681 on: August 24, 2021, 10:30:10 AM »
Started watching Loudermilk. Freaking hilarious. Ron Livingston (Office Space) is the lead. Got hooked a few minutes into the first episode. I'm 3 in. Amazon Prime Video.

Great call!  Fits my sense of humor perfectly.

Started watching Loudermilk. Freaking hilarious. Ron Livingston (Office Space) is the lead. Got hooked a few minutes into the first episode. I'm 3 in. Amazon Prime Video.
This thread caused  me to look up Loudermilk. I’m watching it right now. It’s amusing.

It got better and better through the seasons. The series made me realize I have an inner mini-Loudermilk in certain aspects.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1682 on: August 24, 2021, 10:32:53 AM »
a few episodes in of "Get Shorty". hooked. But finding time to watch alone is hard. Can't have kids around, wife isn't a fan of the swearing and violence. I like this Chris O'Dowd acting, only 2nd best to his "IT Crowd" act.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1683 on: August 24, 2021, 10:34:28 AM »

Me, too. I used to be a department chair before I resigned my tenured position out of general disgust. I hear lots of good things about this series, including from women POC who say it is almost too painfully accurate. Personally, I don’t think I can watch it. I left academia for a reason.

I haven't watched it yet. I suspect it will make me grateful that I left academia in the postdoc stage.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1684 on: August 24, 2021, 01:00:17 PM »

I haven't watched it yet. I suspect it will make me grateful that I left academia in the postdoc stage.

My favorite part of it was that 3/4 main characters were women at different stages in their career: Sandra Oh - tenured/chair and trying to balance parenting an elementary schooler, Holland Taylor as the older "trailblazer" who is nearing the end of her career, and Nana Mensah as the young, black, tenure track academic.

There is also a female grad student character who I hope comes more to the forefront if there is a season 2.  I really found the amount of women on the screen refreshing.

My husband really connected to how the Sandra Oh character struggled with parenthood (Like how can you be so good at at what you do, which is difficult, but really feel like you suck at being a parent).

Our complaint was that it showed no adjunct labor, but again, hopeful for a second season.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1685 on: August 24, 2021, 01:04:51 PM »
Lupin. Fun heist show, with capers and brains.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1686 on: August 24, 2021, 02:16:19 PM »

Wow Sandra Oh is busy!  I saw that Killing Eve got renewed, so looks like she is holding down the lead in two separate series at the same time?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1687 on: August 26, 2021, 06:38:23 PM »
So... we watched Season 1 of Black Sails a few years ago, got intrigued and enjoyed it but just never got around to Season 2 etc until last month. Season 2 was a GIANT step up from an already good show, and we started just burning through the series.  Finished the series finale last night and...  Wow.  I am feeling actively offended that this show is so overlooked.  That is how you do a chewy, thematically rich, character-driven show with awesome action and incredibly complex plot, drive it efficiently through a tidy 4 seasons, and nail that dismount.

And the fact that Toby Stephens (in particular, though the entire show was over looked in all but technical categories) was ignored for awards feels borderline criminal to me. His Captain Flint is one of the most amazing fictional characters we've ever encountered.

It's weird to me that it seems like no one has watched this show.  All I can figure is that the first half of season 1 felt too trashy for critics to bite, and too slow/political/talky for the action fans to bite. And so it slipped under the cultural radar. Then I suspect that a certain demographic of the audience that WAS into it in Season 1 might have bailed in outrage when a certain vital character motivation comes to light in Season 2. 

Whatever, I'm spreading the word.  This show is really great, a meditation on identity and how it's shaped (by us and by society and by myths and stories we tell about ourselves and each other), and also on power and politics.  It subverts a lot of expectations of Historical Epics Starring White Guys (though it stars some white guys).  It reminded me a lot of some of my favorite Shakespearean history plays (e.g., the Henriad) only more diverse and inclusive.

Great stuff. And the final scene of the series could not be more perfect.

***A word of warning: if you have interest in the series, I STRONGLY recommend that you not internet search for ANYTHING about it, b/c even a lot of the headlines of articles about it, let alone the articles themselves, are aggravatingly spoilery.  Don't even google any of the character names. Don't even google the real pirates in the show to find out their history. Trust me, you can wait until you are done watching to do that and be happier for it.  Just find the show and start watching.***

***Second word of warning: The show takes about 5 eps to get over the 'look at us we're an ADULT pirate show' vibe. Don't worry, it definitely gets past that.  There is also a gang rape that occurs early in the show. I don't remember it being particularly graphic, but it is certainly upsetting, so fair warning for trigger. And there are, not surprisingly, a few instances of gruesome violence scattered throughout (most of which you can see coming in time to avoid if wished).***
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 09:57:31 AM by wenchsenior »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1688 on: August 26, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »
So... we watched Season 1 of Black Sails a few years ago, was intrigued and enjoyed it but just never got around to Season 2 etc until last month. Season 2 was a GIANT step up from an already good show, and we started just burning through the series.  Finished the series finale last night and...  Wow.  I am feeling actively offended that this show is so overlooked.  That is how you do a chewy, thematically rich, character-driven show with awesome action and incredibly complex plot, drive it efficiently through a tidy 4 seasons, and nail that dismount.

And the fact that Toby Stephens (in particular, though the entire show was over looked in all but technical categories) was ignored for awards feels borderline criminal to me. His Captain Flint is one of the most amazing fictional characters we've ever encountered.

It's weird to me that it seems like no one has watched this show.  All I can figure is that the first half of season 1 felt too trashy for critics to bite, and too slow/political/talky for the action fans to bite. And so it slipped under the cultural radar. Then I suspect that a certain demographic of the audience that WAS into it in Season 1 might have bailed in outrage when a certain vital character motivation comes to light in Season 2. 

Whatever, I'm spreading the word.  This show is really great, a meditation on identity and how it's shaped (by us and by society and by myths and stories we tell about ourselves and each other), and also on power and politics.  It subverts a lot of expectations of Historical Epics Starring White Guys (though it stars some white guys).  It reminded me a lot of some of my favorite Shakespearean history plays (e.g., the Henriad) only more diverse and inclusive.

***A word of warning: if you have interest in the series, I STRONGLY recommend that you not internet search for ANYTHING about it, b/c even a lot of the headlines of articles about it, let alone the articles themselves, are aggravatingly spoilery.  Don't even google any of the character names. Don't even google the real pirates in the show to find out their history. Trust me, you can wait until you are done watching to do that and be happier for it.  Just find the show and start watching.***

***Second word of warning: The show takes about 5 eps to get over the 'look at us we're an ADULT pirate show' vibe. Don't worry, it definitely gets past that.  There is also a gang rape that occurs early in the show. I don't remember it being particularly graphic, but it is certainly upsetting, so fair warning for trigger. And there are, not surprisingly, a few instances of gruesome violence scattered throughout (most of which you can see coming in time to avoid if wished).***

I might check it out. On Netflix it says something about it being intended to be a prequel to something called Treasure Island, but assuming that's not necessary or important to watch to make sense of anything?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1689 on: August 26, 2021, 10:24:58 PM »
So... we watched Season 1 of Black Sails a few years ago, was intrigued and enjoyed it but just never got around to Season 2 etc until last month. Season 2 was a GIANT step up from an already good show, and we started just burning through the series.  Finished the series finale last night and...  Wow.  I am feeling actively offended that this show is so overlooked.  That is how you do a chewy, thematically rich, character-driven show with awesome action and incredibly complex plot, drive it efficiently through a tidy 4 seasons, and nail that dismount.

I might check it out. On Netflix it says something about it being intended to be a prequel to something called Treasure Island, but assuming that's not necessary or important to watch to make sense of anything?

Right, it's a prequel to the classic novel, but it's not necessary to know the novel (I read it years ago and found it dull, and have seen a couple movie versions of it, but still didn't remember that much about it when I started watching BS). In fact, in some ways, it's probably better not to know the novel, though there's a special pleasure in watching the characters in the show be VERY different as their younger-self 'show' versions than what they end up being like in their famous much older novel counterparts, and then observing how the show manages to develop them to the point where you can 'see' the novel versions emerge.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1690 on: August 26, 2021, 10:28:24 PM »

Right, it's a prequel to the classic novel, but it's not necessary to know the novel (I read it years ago and found it dull, and have seen a couple movie versions of it, but still didn't remember that much about it when I started watching BS). In fact, in some ways, it's probably better not to know the novel, though there's a special pleasure in watching the characters in the show be VERY different as their younger-self 'show' versions than what they end up being like in their famous much older novel counterparts, and then observing how the show manages to develop them to the point where you can 'see' the novel versions emerge.

ohhhhh, I assumed it was some other TV show called Treasure Island that it was a prequel to but that I'd also never heard of.  But yeah, of course, the novel.  My memories of the novel are definitely a bit hazy.  If/when I see the TV show it will be interesting to see if it stimulates my memory or not.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1691 on: August 27, 2021, 11:35:03 AM »

I'm the choir you are preaching too. That show was so good, and Toby Stephens is such a talented actor.

It was considerably less gruesome than certain other shows.

I'm re-watching Spartacus. Now THAT series is violent!

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1692 on: August 27, 2021, 11:58:57 AM »
I loved Black Sails...like some here, I watched the first season and then started the second, but got lost in other pursuits and never circled back to it.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1693 on: August 27, 2021, 11:36:04 PM »
Started watching 'Click Bait' on Netflix (oh, the irony, I know)... but it's turned out to be pretty good.  I can unload the dishwasher, read the newspaper, or carry on conversations with the family without missing too much, but it's still twisting and turning enough to keep me hooked.  Might ultimately be disappointed, I'm currently midway through the 'Brother' episode, but up till now I'm giving it a thumbs up!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1694 on: September 03, 2021, 04:05:36 PM »
Some summer discoveries: Mare of Easttown on HBO (I love a mystery series, love watching Kate Winslet at work, and it was filmed very close to where I used to live, in an area that rarely gets much love from movies and TV. Loved it.) Then moved on to Hacks (HBO) which also features Jean Smart once again being terrific. I am not crazy about unpleasant characters but the series humanized both leads just enough as I was wondering if I wanted to keep going.

The Pursuit of Love mini-series on Amazon was excellent if you like British period pieces--I've always liked stories about the Mitford sisters.

My favorite ridiculous television this summer was The Royals (also on Amazon) which is a soap opera from a few years back VERY loosely based on the British royal family. The series managed to simultaneously lean into the melodrama traditional to soap operas along with the intrinsic ridiculousness of many of the premises, and the actors go all in on all of it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1695 on: September 03, 2021, 04:33:45 PM »
OMG The Royals, yeah, melodrama is right. I thought I might find it fun, but it was too much for me.

Speaking of melodrama though, I've been watching Step Up: High Water, which is a tv show from the Step Up movie line, none of which I've ever seen.

It's very melodramatic, but the dancing is amazing. I wouldn't necessarily have recommended it, but I just saw the most INCREDIBLE dance scene with a dancer who is a double amputee and dances without legs and its fucking fantastic.

Seriously, anyone reading who has any love of dance, just google the scene, it's so worth watching.

Mind = Blown

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1696 on: September 07, 2021, 11:12:32 PM »
In honor of Michael K. Williams, I'm finally getting around to watching 'The Wire'.  Love the dialogue, production value and acting is a bit sketchy, but helps me appreciate just how great it must've been.  Sorta like Paul Morphy (and even Bobby Fischer) in the day before Computers and Internets had their way with 'improving' everything...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1697 on: September 08, 2021, 07:18:43 AM »
Started watching 'The Man in the High Castle' . . . it's an old Philip K Dick story that I somehow missed reading as a child.  Kind of an alternate future sort of thing, about life in the world where the Germans and Japanese won the second World War and divided up everything between each other.  Very well acted, and well written plot.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1698 on: September 08, 2021, 07:39:06 AM »
In honor of Michael K. Williams, I'm finally getting around to watching 'The Wire'.  Love the dialogue, production value and acting is a bit sketchy, but helps me appreciate just how great it must've been.  Sorta like Paul Morphy (and even Bobby Fischer) in the day before Computers and Internets had their way with 'improving' everything...

I always wanted to check The Wire out also. I was a Michael K. Williams fan from seeing him portray Chalky White in Boardwalk Empire, but never got around to The Wire

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1699 on: September 08, 2021, 08:10:51 AM »

There are a ton of non-actors in the Wire. The production was pretty devoted to using locals where possible. I know reporters just play reporters in Season 5.

Some of the cops were played by in town rep theater actors, etc.

I believe many of the people the characters are based on from the Homicide and Corner books also make appearances in the show.

I was living in Baltimore in a "Wire Adjacent" neighborhood at the time the show was filming and it really does capture the cadence of a part of the city in an incredible way.