Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 705678 times)

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1050 on: February 21, 2020, 04:23:03 PM »
We just finished our Tivo'd season of Watchmen, and that was the most WHAT THE F-ING HELL IS GOING ON?!?!! fun that I've had in a long time.  When I would try to explain it to my sisters, I would hear myself sounding like I was on acid.  Good times.

I am soooooo looking forward to the next time I can borrow someone's HBO so I can watch Watchmen. Lost and The Leftovers are 2 of my favorite shows ever.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1051 on: February 26, 2020, 07:35:07 AM »
I am going back on CBS All Access through my Amazon Prime and watching favorite shows from the different Star Trek series. I watched "Yesteryear" from the Animated Series--the one written by D.C. Fontana where Spock goes back in time to save the life of himself as a child. Yes, a cartoon, but well-worth watching. And I watched "Trials and Tribble-ations" from DS9--a warm-hearted, funny mash-up of DS9 and TOS--fun and entertaining. Last night I watched "Yesterday's Enterprise" from TNG. Another keeper. With Discovery and even ST: Picard being relatively okay but a little iffy, I'm enjoying some of these oldies.

Started watching DS9 a while back. Quit. Started again. Quit. Finally reached the second season. Wow - much better. Looks better, acting seems to have improved, story line has improved. I'm more interested. A friend said DS9 was their favorite ST series and I could not figure out why. Maybe there is something to like here afterall.

My latest "discovery" is "Sacred Games". Definitely not family room TV but very interesting so far (five episodes in). Its on Netflix.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1052 on: February 26, 2020, 09:21:44 AM »
Started watching DS9 a while back. Quit. Started again. Quit. Finally reached the second season. Wow - much better. Looks better, acting seems to have improved, story line has improved. I'm more interested. A friend said DS9 was their favorite ST series and I could not figure out why. Maybe there is something to like here afterall.

The exceptional part of DS9 was how they fleshed out the Firengi culture. Those laws of acquisition ;-)

My latest "discovery" is "Sacred Games". Definitely not family room TV but very interesting so far (five episodes in). Its on Netflix.
I could not get thru episode 1 of it. Maybe it was because I grew up in Mumbai (Bombay).

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1053 on: February 26, 2020, 10:12:12 AM »
DS9 is definitely worth watching all the seasons. There are some duds, of course (any Ferengi episode with "Moogie" in it, shudder, cringe), but the overall quality is great.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1054 on: February 26, 2020, 10:23:38 AM »
I always thought that DS9 was the least 'Star Trek' of all the Star Trek series.  It wasn't terrible, but it had a very different feel and tone than all the rest.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1055 on: February 26, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »
I am going back on CBS All Access through my Amazon Prime and watching favorite shows from the different Star Trek series. I watched "Yesteryear" from the Animated Series--the one written by D.C. Fontana where Spock goes back in time to save the life of himself as a child. Yes, a cartoon, but well-worth watching. And I watched "Trials and Tribble-ations" from DS9--a warm-hearted, funny mash-up of DS9 and TOS--fun and entertaining. Last night I watched "Yesterday's Enterprise" from TNG. Another keeper. With Discovery and even ST: Picard being relatively okay but a little iffy, I'm enjoying some of these oldies.

DS9 was pretty bad the first season, but got progressively better every season, peaking with the 7th and maintaining a pretty high level last few seasons.  Which is very unlike Star Trek Voyager.  Voyager had a smattering of great episodes and then huge swaths of mediocrity.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1056 on: February 27, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »
Going to put it on watchlist, I've read (and enjoyed) the book.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1057 on: February 27, 2020, 11:59:21 AM »

I may give this a second chance. My library has the book, so I'll read it and if I like it I'll rewatch.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1058 on: February 27, 2020, 12:31:03 PM »

I may give this a second chance. My library has the book, so I'll read it and if I like it I'll rewatch.
As an Indian-Kenyan-American, I find Mumbai to be a very interesting city (having spent some time backpacking in India after high school). The book was riveting (for me).
I've learnt to not judge a TV series by the first episode. There are some Amazon Original TV series made in India that are quite good, but you'd have to watch the first 2 episodes. Like all things Indian, a slow flame melds all those lovely spices, time is the answer.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1059 on: February 27, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »
I didn't not read this entire thread, but any Schitt's Creek love in here? Fantastic show!

Absolutely!

I had a friend come and stay for three nights so we could binge the latest season :)

The final season (6) isn't here in Australia yet, so I am simultaneously looking forward to it and sad that it will be ending.

You all are going to be jealous of me because I’m still in season one of Schitt’s Creek. I had to wait until my head was in the right space for it, just like it two decades ago wait for my head to be in the right space to watch Absolutely Fabulous. These two shows are all about the actors, not much about quality of writing, and very little about plot. There is barely a plot in either one of them. But Ab Fab is hilarious! So, I will get there with Scott’s Creek no doubt.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:58:35 PM by iris lily »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1060 on: February 27, 2020, 01:01:48 PM »

As an Indian-Kenyan-American, I find Mumbai to be a very interesting city (having spent some time backpacking in India after high school). The book was riveting (for me).
I've learnt to not judge a TV series by the first episode. There are some Amazon Original TV series made in India that are quite good, but you'd have to watch the first 2 episodes. Like all things Indian, a slow flame melds all those lovely spices, time is the answer.

If you like books on Mumbai, please read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. He is an Australian criminal who escaped from prison and ended up in Bombay. This guy has perfectly described Bombay when I was growing up. He lived there and was involved with the Indian mafia there. I read the book multiple times, there are no factual errors.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1061 on: February 27, 2020, 03:54:28 PM »
Season 4 of the expanse is out just in time for me to do another free Prime trial.

:D

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1062 on: February 27, 2020, 07:48:33 PM »

If you like books on Mumbai, please read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. He is an Australian criminal who escaped from prison and ended up in Bombay. This guy has perfectly described Bombay when I was growing up. He lived there and was involved with the Indian mafia there. I read the book multiple times, there are no factual errors.

Only book where I literally wrote down quotes because they were so beautiful and heart-wrenching.  My husband and I often joke with each other about being scandalized if the other is not wearing their over underpants over their under underpants.

Schitt's Creek and the Good Place are on deck for me! 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1063 on: March 04, 2020, 11:42:42 AM »
outlander season 1. i didn't care for it but my gf was into it. too creepy and brutal in places for my tastes. scenery was cool though. makes me want to go to scotland. i kept thinking of groundskeeper willy from the simpsons.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1064 on: March 04, 2020, 11:52:52 AM »
Watching "Walking Through History" on Amazon Prime. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_Through_History

Beautiful scenery; using it to plan walks and hikes when we have to visit wife's family in UK.

Tony Robinson is still funny as ever (in reference to his Blackadder and Time Team days).

Walking Through History is something I watch when I need to be soothed! History and lovely scenery are like low-key Valium for me.

Another one I've watched and enjoyed lately is Harlots on Hulu. Stay with me here, but I thought it had a real Mad Men vibe. It has the feel of a workplace dramedy and hits a lot of the same beats as Mad Men. It just so happens to be set in the early 1700s when one of the only professions open to women is prostitution. I also like that it is has an all female creative team.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1065 on: March 05, 2020, 11:39:43 AM »
The Pharmacist on Netflix.  4 part documentary. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1066 on: March 06, 2020, 07:33:40 AM »
The Pharmacist on Netflix.  4 part documentary.
Is it a documentary? I haven’t watched it, but ?I thought it was drama.
I will have to check it out.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1067 on: March 06, 2020, 07:34:18 AM »
After Life (written/starring Ricky Gervais) is phenomenal. Netflix.

He's a widower who doesn't give two shits who begins figuring life out. Definitely a situation where if you like the trailer, then it's probably for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIGGKSHMQOM

If you're sensitive to or upset by discussion of suicide or swearing, this is NOT for you.

I did watch After Life and liked it very much.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:45:05 AM by iris lily »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1068 on: March 06, 2020, 10:52:55 AM »

I got the book from the library and am 60% of the way thru. Really good book. He understands Mumbai and its underworld. He has taken real-life gangsters and given them different names (e.g. Suleiman Isa -> Dawood Ibrahim whose real life net worth is $7 Billion!). I can literally translate what he writes into Marathi (the language of Maharashtra state where Bombay is located) or Hindi and it is accurate.

Thanks @jinga nation , I'll give the series one more chance.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1069 on: March 07, 2020, 07:21:20 PM »
Binged the second season of Altered Carbon.  Very different from the first season, but still pretty good.  No complaints.  Also want to watch the 2011 movie 'Contagion'...

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1070 on: March 16, 2020, 10:13:31 AM »
Been watching Counterpart.  It's a STARZ series but it's now available for free on Amazon Prime.  It's excellent.  JK Simmons just puts on an acting clinic as 2 slightly different versions of the same character. 

Plus it has a main plot involving flu's and pandemics, so.... timely.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1071 on: March 16, 2020, 01:36:32 PM »
Been watching Counterpart.  It's a STARZ series but it's now available for free on Amazon Prime.  It's excellent.  JK Simmons just puts on an acting clinic as 2 slightly different versions of the same character. 

Plus it has a main plot involving flu's and pandemics, so.... timely.

I just watched Counterpart & really enjoyed it, too

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1072 on: March 16, 2020, 06:45:33 PM »
We started Designated Survivor last week. It is really good so far, but the premise seems like something that would lost its luster after a season or two.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1073 on: March 17, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »
We started Designated Survivor last week. It is really good so far, but the premise seems like something that would lost its luster after a season or two.

I've gotten halfway through season 1. It started with a great premise, but I am losing interest. If anyone has seen this in full, let us know if it is worth continuing.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1074 on: March 17, 2020, 01:32:50 PM »
Westworld is back for a third season!  Wonder if they got all the episodes done or if we will only get half a season?  Wanted to see Watchmen anyway, so started up my HBO free trial on Prime...

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1075 on: March 18, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »
I finished watching Noragami. It's everything I love about anime and my inner sixteen year old is purring.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1076 on: March 19, 2020, 02:16:29 PM »
Out of the mainstream for serious, thinking adults but "I Am Not OK With This" on Netflix is a fun (although somewhat maddening) watch.

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #1077 on: March 19, 2020, 10:52:45 PM »
After Life (written/starring Ricky Gervais) is phenomenal. Netflix.

He's a widower who doesn't give two shits who begins figuring life out. Definitely a situation where if you like the trailer, then it's probably for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIGGKSHMQOM

If you're sensitive to or upset by discussion of suicide or swearing, this is NOT for you.

I did watch After Life and liked it very much.

Another vote for After Life. Great entertainment.

How about "Containment," an eerily prescient limited series about a cordon sanitaire in Atlanta?

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1078 on: March 22, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
finished season 2 of outlander. i wouldn't say i'm enjoying it but it really isn't bad. except for the last episode. the acting was horrible and the story line seemed weak.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1079 on: March 22, 2020, 02:56:16 PM »
I just watched the Irishman. Great movie.

Since it is on Netflix, no time limit for the movie. It ran for 3 hours and 13 mins. A few parts could have been tightened up to reduce the time.

The only issue I had with a bunch of septuagenarians (Pesci, DeNiro, Al Pacino) actors trying to portray younger men. DeNiro trying to play the part of a 30-year-old. Couldn't they get a younger actor to play the part?

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1080 on: March 23, 2020, 02:15:42 PM »
My wife and I started watching Tiger King on Netflix over the weekend. It is wild! She was on the fence after seeing the trailer but was way on board after watching the first episode!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1081 on: March 24, 2020, 03:57:11 AM »
The Netflix original The English Game was very good.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1082 on: March 24, 2020, 10:11:34 AM »
Just started Black Sails Season 2 on Hulu...I've really enjoyed it so far. I watched episode 1 of Hunters on Amazon Prime and I'm intrigued.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1083 on: March 28, 2020, 10:12:21 AM »
Yesssss... just occurred to me that Ozark season 3 is now available

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1084 on: March 29, 2020, 08:21:24 AM »
season 2 of mind hunter is pretty good

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #1085 on: March 29, 2020, 09:34:15 AM »
We have finally starting watching Breaking Bad.  Only 3 episodes in ... holy hell, not sure why I waited so long.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1086 on: March 31, 2020, 09:12:06 AM »
My wife and I started watching Tiger King on Netflix over the weekend. It is wild! She was on the fence after seeing the trailer but was way on board after watching the first episode!

I was just coming here to post about Tiger King!

It's almost impossible to even explain.
It's just so...

...um

...yeah

People just need to watch it so I don't feel so alone in my feelings. It's not a show, it's a fucking experience.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1087 on: March 31, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »
Watched Tiger King. Just shows how so many demented people in the world we live in.

Watched season 3 of Ozark. Havent been the biggest fan of the show but have watched. Having said that I thought season 3 was the best so far.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1088 on: March 31, 2020, 01:07:48 PM »
I finished watching Noragami. It's everything I love about anime and my inner sixteen year old is purring.

I'm going to look for this one.  It's been a while since I watched some good anime.  Last new series I liked was . . . geeze, probably Elfen Lied or Gantz?  Too long.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1089 on: March 31, 2020, 07:47:25 PM »
Has anyone watched ZeroZeroZero on Prime?  I think I'm gonna give it a shot (a sniff?)  Looks like it got good reviews...

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1090 on: March 31, 2020, 09:18:24 PM »
BBC Gardener’s World on Britbox.  A balm for the soul in these troubled times.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1091 on: April 02, 2020, 12:14:39 AM »
I just starting watching Ozark a while ago so it worked out well that series 3 just came out. Was home sick for a couple of days this week and binge-watched that. One of the descriptor words for it on Netflix is slow burn and that seems like a really good description. Every time it feels like there isn't really anywhere else for it to go, something even more messed up happens. Even after a few episodes of the first series it started to seem like it had nowhere else to go and yet here we are at the end of season 3 and it's still managing to top itself again and again.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1092 on: April 03, 2020, 08:41:04 PM »
CBS All Access is free for 60 days.

Watched first episode of Picard and Star Trek - Discovery. Like them both!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1093 on: April 04, 2020, 02:40:36 PM »
Love Outlander.  It's finally in the last season (4) on cable.  Violent, gory and certainly political, but probably true to it's time.  I'll miss it when it's over.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1094 on: April 04, 2020, 02:50:00 PM »
We just started Schitt's Creek.  I didn't realize it was Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy!  Buuut....I don't know.  The first three episodes were funny and cute and a little annoying.  It just seems like something that would make a fun movie, but a TV series that goes on and on and on?  I feel like we might get sick of it. But I'm willing to give COH and EL some serious leeway, so I imagine we'll finish out the season at least.

I'm sure there must be a lot of references to it around here, but the search function has always been a little iffy for me on this forum.  So please advise - if we are just "meh" on it after the first season, should we persist?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1095 on: April 04, 2020, 05:14:55 PM »
We just started Schitt's Creek.  I didn't realize it was Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy!  Buuut....I don't know.  The first three episodes were funny and cute and a little annoying.  It just seems like something that would make a fun movie, but a TV series that goes on and on and on?  I feel like we might get sick of it. But I'm willing to give COH and EL some serious leeway, so I imagine we'll finish out the season at least.

I'm sure there must be a lot of references to it around here, but the search function has always been a little iffy for me on this forum.  So please advise - if we are just "meh" on it after the first season, should we persist?

But soon, very soon, you will like Alexis and will adore David. They are all incredibly self-centered creatures, except for Johnny Rose, but they are also lovable and sweet and loving to each other in their own self centered way.

Edited to add: it took me a while to get into this show because like any well-crafted comedy show, it creates its own world and you have to pop yourself into it.

My current theory of comedy tv shows is that the more easily accessible and immediately relatable comedy shows are pablum served up by the networks.  You know, family sitcoms where  the dad is clueless, the mother is oh so wise, there’s a wisecracking teen, and a couple of characters in the roles of neighbors or relatives.

Schitt’s Creek plays on that standard a bit, but stretches it. It’s a show where the writing is purely secondary to the acting. The production values are pretty interesting too, the women’s clothes are highly curated.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:20:34 AM by iris lily »

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1096 on: April 05, 2020, 10:24:57 AM »
I watched the first four episodes of The Expanse last night. The production values are pretty good and I'm enjoying the writing.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1097 on: April 05, 2020, 09:15:03 PM »
I watched the first four episodes of The Expanse last night. The production values are pretty good and I'm enjoying the writing.
You're in for a treat.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1098 on: April 07, 2020, 09:14:45 AM »
'tiger king' was fun but not really good. it reminded me of 'the wild and wonderful whites'.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1099 on: April 09, 2020, 07:05:36 AM »
unbelievable is one of the best shows i've seen so far.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!