Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 699791 times)

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1000 on: January 22, 2020, 05:44:56 PM »
After Life (written/starring Ricky Gervais) is phenomenal. Netflix.

He's a widower who doesn't give two shits who begins figuring life out. Definitely a situation where if you like the trailer, then it's probably for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIGGKSHMQOM

If you're sensitive to or upset by discussion of suicide or swearing, this is NOT for you.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1001 on: January 22, 2020, 06:20:52 PM »
I'm still waiting for a show to fill my post Mad Men void. Come on now, someone has to be making something like it!

There are two shows that are completely different from Mad Men but are linked in the same category as Mad Men for me (in that I felt emotionally satisfied and artistically fulfilled and just flat out glad that I watched them and I still think of them sometimes): The Leftovers and Fleabag.  I would say that what both share with Mad Med is a dark humor that just comes with being human but both are tragic too (the Leftovers moreso).  Fleabag is funny w/tragedy and Leftovers is definitely a tragedy with flashes of humor and humanity.

The Americans sometimes leaves me feeling that way, but I haven't watched the last two seasons yet so don't know how I'll feel about the series as a whole.

Oh gosh, I am  still mourning the end of The Americans. The last season is so suspenseful and interesting and the last episode is just sublime. PS I just finished Fleabag and I liked it as well. Maybe I need to try Leftovers.

Just finished Americans last night.  The last episode was wonderful! It is in  that small group of shows that I think ended perfectly.
I know! That last episode was sublime. The scene in the parking garage, wow!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1002 on: January 22, 2020, 06:24:23 PM »
I am watching “killing Eve “ and am on episode 4ish and I think it’s not wonderful.  I mean, I like the sociopath girl for being  interesting, but am already tired of Sandra Oh. They will soon have to tell me a VERY good reason why sociopath girl doesn’t want to actually KILL Eve because it is obvious she can, any time she wants to.

This gets critical reviews which is why I  will stick with it a bit longer.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:56:48 PM by iris lily »

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1003 on: January 22, 2020, 10:22:49 PM »
Very much enjoyed Messiah on Netflix, but I’m a religious history nerd. Reviews are very mixed apparently but I found it compelling.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1004 on: January 23, 2020, 07:28:21 AM »
I am watching “killing Eve “ and am on episode 4ish and I think it’s not wonderful.  I mean, I like the sociopath girl for being  interesting, but am already tired of Sandra Oh. They will soon have to tell me a VERY good reason why sociopath girl doesn’t want to actually KILL Eve because it is obvious she can, any time she wants to.

Yes it's definitely one of those shows that requires extra effort in suspension of disbelief, sometimes I think the show is more comedy than drama (same creator/writer as Fleabag).  For me, the show is all about Jodie Comer's performance, and the fantastic European shooting locations. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1005 on: January 24, 2020, 09:12:47 AM »

Yes it's definitely one of those shows that requires extra effort in suspension of disbelief, sometimes I think the show is more comedy than drama (same creator/writer as Fleabag).  For me, the show is all about Jodie Comer's performance, and the fantastic European shooting locations.

it was good, not great.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1006 on: January 24, 2020, 09:13:56 AM »
'top of the lake' was a snoozer. it could have been good but it was so slow. i'm kinda tired of elizabeth moss now.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1007 on: January 24, 2020, 06:07:12 PM »
'top of the lake' was a snoozer. it could have been good but it was so slow. i'm kinda tired of elizabeth moss now.

Wow I really liked that show.  I thought there was great suspense and quirky characters.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1008 on: January 26, 2020, 06:36:26 PM »

I watch the entire thing. The ending snuck up on me I didn’t watch to see how many episodes are left, ending was fun. Oh, now I see why psychopath girl did not kill eve —yet.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1009 on: January 28, 2020, 03:37:48 AM »
Been kinda Binge Watching Chicago PD on Prime. I have occasionally watched a few episodes in the past on network tv and thought i would like it and gotta say watching it in order it really is a good show with a lot of back stories. Really enjoying it

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #1010 on: January 28, 2020, 08:34:08 AM »
I'm still waiting for a show to fill my post Mad Men void. Come on now, someone has to be making something like it!

Try 'Masters of Sex'

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1011 on: January 29, 2020, 06:44:34 AM »
Been kinda Binge Watching Chicago PD on Prime. I have occasionally watched a few episodes in the past on network tv and thought i would like it and gotta say watching it in order it really is a good show with a lot of back stories. Really enjoying it
We watch the entire "Chicago" trilogy and feel they do an excellent job.  Chicago Med is probably the weakest of the three, but PD and Fire are both amazing and into their 6th or 7th seasons.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1012 on: January 29, 2020, 07:20:41 AM »

It's absolutely a comedy, and the plot is just a vehicle for dialogue and chemistry between the characters and a showcase of style and flair. The plot doesn't really matter.

Sandra Oh's character is annoying, which is initially so aggravating since we're so often supposed to love main characters, but I found I settled into her once I accepted that she's not supposed to be liked, she's supposed to be absurd, similar to Fleabag.

Both Fleabag and Killing Eve had me follow the same arc of "this is shit, why does everyone love it?" To "oh, I adore when that secondary character is on screen" To "I really enjoyed that episode" To "fuck Waller-Bridge is brilliant sometimes" To "I need to rewatch this from the beginning so that I can go back and appreciate those early episodes that I disliked initially"

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1013 on: January 29, 2020, 08:55:42 AM »

It's absolutely a comedy, and the plot is just a vehicle for dialogue and chemistry between the characters and a showcase of style and flair. The plot doesn't really matter.

Sandra Oh's character is annoying, which is initially so aggravating since we're so often supposed to love main characters, but I found I settled into her once I accepted that she's not supposed to be liked, she's supposed to be absurd, similar to Fleabag.

Both Fleabag and Killing Eve had me follow the same arc of "this is shit, why does everyone love it?" To "oh, I adore when that secondary character is on screen" To "I really enjoyed that episode" To "fuck Waller-Bridge is brilliant sometimes" To "I need to rewatch this from the beginning so that I can go back and appreciate those early episodes that I disliked initially"

Yeah, I laugh my arse off, but then again I found Breaking Bad and The Killing hilarious also, so I don't know if I'm a good judge.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1014 on: January 29, 2020, 10:14:10 AM »

I didn't find the main character in Fleabag to be unlikable, or particularly absurd.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1015 on: January 30, 2020, 09:27:02 AM »

I didn't find the main character in Fleabag to be unlikable, or particularly absurd.

Oh I found her to be ansurd and somewhat unlikeable, but I still liked Fleabag very much. it was fun.

And after finishing Season 1 of  Killing Eve, I see the appeal. The psychopath girl is fascinating.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1016 on: January 30, 2020, 11:55:30 AM »
DH & I like gentle murder mysteries (Columbo being the best ever, but we also really enjoyed Midsomer Murders and Murder She Wrote), and we've been watching an old British show from the 90s on Amazon Prime called Wycliffe.  It's got nice little mysteries that are wrapped up in an hour.  No violence (on screen, I mean, obviously someone's been murdered, but we don't have to see it) or gore, which I like, and no extraneous drama about the detectives (which DH loves--he hates that stuff and refuses to watch Luther b/c it's all about Luther as opposed to the mysteries). 

I wish we could find more like this. We've been through all of Midsomer Murders, all of Vera that's available off of BritBox, all of Murdoch Mysteries, all of Murder She Wrote, as well as several others that I can't remember at the moment.  Can't bring myself to pay for Britbox b/c, ugh, another subscription?  We've already got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1017 on: January 30, 2020, 08:36:26 PM »
We watch the entire "Chicago" trilogy and feel they do an excellent job.  Chicago Med is probably the weakest of the three, but PD and Fire are both amazing and into their 6th or 7th seasons.

I have been watching Chicago Fire since the beginning, back when there weren't any other firefighter shows on television. It can get melodramatic, especially when it focuses on the characters' personal lives, but I like the gritty, semi-realistic feel of the fire scenes and the fact that they really film in Chicago.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1018 on: January 31, 2020, 05:36:46 AM »
I paid for CBS All Access (I know, I know) to watch Star Trek Picard. I've viewed the first two episodes, and am cautiously optimistic. The first one had an awful lot of set-up, which was probably necessary to do, but did end with an exciting cliffhanger that would draw you into the second episode. Episode two was full of action and intrigue--definitely has me hooked, and I want to see more. The show "feels" like Star Trek, and it's great to see Captain (now Admiral) Picard again.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1019 on: January 31, 2020, 06:40:14 AM »
season 3 of 'the crown'. i'm not sure how i feel about olivia coleman as the queen but it's ok so far. i think i'm getting burned out on this golden age of television.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1020 on: January 31, 2020, 07:18:56 AM »
season 3 of 'the crown'. i'm not sure how i feel about olivia coleman as the queen but it's ok so far. i think i'm getting burned out on this golden age of television.

I love Olivia Colman but thought that Tobias Menzies (Prince Philip) and Erin Doherty (Princess Anne) were the true stars of season 3. Both of them absolutely nailed their characters.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1021 on: January 31, 2020, 07:34:51 AM »
On David Tennant's podcast ("DAVID TENNANT DOES A PODCAST WITH..."), his first guest is Olivia Coleman.  Lots of Broadchurch chat of course, but she talks a lot about getting into character for The Crown.  Very entertaining!

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #1022 on: January 31, 2020, 09:05:52 AM »
Letterkenny.

Jesus Christ, I can't even begin to explain how brilliant Letterkenny is. You might need to be Canadian to get it, but if you do, it's bloody genius, otherwise it might seem like the dumbest shit you've ever seen.

To be fair...

It may only be brilliant to a just a certain region of Canada.

Neither DW or I are Canadian but we love Letterkenny.  It's absolutely hilarious.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1023 on: February 04, 2020, 01:58:56 PM »
I paid for CBS All Access (I know, I know) to watch Star Trek Picard. I've viewed the first two episodes, and am cautiously optimistic. The first one had an awful lot of set-up, which was probably necessary to do, but did end with an exciting cliffhanger that would draw you into the second episode. Episode two was full of action and intrigue--definitely has me hooked, and I want to see more. The show "feels" like Star Trek, and it's great to see Captain (now Admiral) Picard again.

For anyone curious - for a few more days you can watch the first episode on YouTube and Amazon Prime. Probably other places too.

I really liked the first episode. Am going through a particularly busy time right now but once things calm down I'll subscribe to CBS and watch Picard and Discovery...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1024 on: February 04, 2020, 02:30:52 PM »
I watched it on youtube last night, and it wasn't bad.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1025 on: February 04, 2020, 05:54:23 PM »

I love Olivia Colman but thought that Tobias Menzies (Prince Philip) and Erin Doherty (Princess Anne) were the true stars of season 3. Both of them absolutely nailed their characters.

I agree! Tobias played such a delightfully snotty Phillip. Just the little things, like him shooing away a servant offering champagne, in a "get the f outta here" type of way. And yes, I loved Erin too. Her feistiness reminded me of Season 1's Princess Margaret.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1026 on: February 04, 2020, 07:37:14 PM »

For anyone curious - for a few more days you can watch the first episode on YouTube and Amazon Prime. Probably other places too.

I really liked the first episode. Am going through a particularly busy time right now but once things calm down I'll subscribe to CBS and watch Picard and Discovery...

Thanks for the heads up, I'm watching it on Prime.  Much more engaging and important than the State of the Union :)  Also watching a British show, The Stranger, on Netflix.  Pretty strong start for both series...

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1027 on: February 05, 2020, 02:29:01 PM »
I've been watching Carnival Row on Amazon Prime. I'm still on the fence as to how I feel about it, but it has a great premise.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #1028 on: February 05, 2020, 02:42:08 PM »
Just started watching "City Homicide" which has four seasons on Prime Video. Description: "Set on the Homicide floor of a police headquarters in Melbourne, Australia, detectives work to bring justice for the deceased."

It's rated "16+" for a tiny bit of language and a lot of blood. (Not total gore, but there are some crime scene scenes.)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1029 on: February 08, 2020, 07:16:16 AM »
Letterkenny.

Jesus Christ, I can't even begin to explain how brilliant Letterkenny is. You might need to be Canadian to get it, but if you do, it's bloody genius, otherwise it might seem like the dumbest shit you've ever seen.

To be fair...

It may only be brilliant to a just a certain region of Canada.

Neither DW or I are Canadian but we love Letterkenny.  It's absolutely hilarious.

We're going to the live show in a few weeks, I'm really curious to see what that's like.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1030 on: February 08, 2020, 01:55:34 PM »
I don't know if I really like this one yet, but curious if others here were fans of The Affair (with Dominic West of The Wire and Maura Tierney of ER).  I think I am just such a huge sucker for a semi-mystery that I am getting sucked into a possibly not very good TV show? 

I definitely want to watch a lot more ASAP to find out what's being investigated.  And I do like the two-person perspective. It's fun to take in what they are showing us through that.  But in the two episodes I've watched so far, it seems quite slow - I get impatient - and the long, slow shots and artsy/dramatic camera work at times seems over the top for this show.  I'm really on the fence and don't want to read anything online about it and spoil the mystery, but curious about others' views and curious to see how I'll feel about it in a few episodes.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1031 on: February 08, 2020, 02:37:32 PM »
I don't know if I really like this one yet, but curious if others here were fans of The Affair (with Dominic West of The Wire and Maura Tierney of ER).  I think I am just such a huge sucker for a semi-mystery that I am getting sucked into a possibly not very good TV show? 

I definitely want to watch a lot more ASAP to find out what's being investigated.  And I do like the two-person perspective. It's fun to take in what they are showing us through that.  But in the two episodes I've watched so far, it seems quite slow - I get impatient - and the long, slow shots and artsy/dramatic camera work at times seems over the top for this show.  I'm really on the fence and don't want to read anything online about it and spoil the mystery, but curious about others' views and curious to see how I'll feel about it in a few episodes.

It stays that way the whole time, or at least through all of season 1.  Haven't watched season 2. 

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #1032 on: February 08, 2020, 06:57:03 PM »

It is a great show through season 3, but I am someone who prefers very slow narratives. The narrative pace picks up a little but not a ton. Some of the season 2 episodes are incredibly good. The multiple-perspective approach is an excellent idea and I hope other shows in the future copy it to some extent. Like many shows, I think it overstays its welcome starting at some point into season 4.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1033 on: February 08, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »

It never gets better. If you don't like it within a few episodes of season 1, you won't ever like it.

I used to watch it to fall asleep and because I too get sucked into a mystery, but by mid way season 4, I just hated it and every character in it so much that I wanted every single one of them to either die or go to jail.

A coworker spoiled a major death for me and I said "oh, good" and stopped watching.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1034 on: February 08, 2020, 07:52:00 PM »

It never gets better. If you don't like it within a few episodes of season 1, you won't ever like it.

I used to watch it to fall asleep and because I too get sucked into a mystery, but by mid way season 4, I just hated it and every character in it so much that I wanted every single one of them to either die or go to jail.

A coworker spoiled a major death for me and I said "oh, good" and stopped watching.

Wow, so many of you have watched it! I'd never heard of it before my husband (usually light years behind me wrt pop culture) suggested it.

I already have ...less than neutral feelings for pretty much every character. I can imagine hating them all eventually. DH has conflicting feelings about it so far too, so I'm guessing it'll be the rest of the season at best. If we get impatient and give it up I'll just read a synopsis of what happens.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1035 on: February 08, 2020, 09:40:20 PM »
I like Theo James in the PBS production of Sanditon.  He is adorable.  Cinematography is nice too, with beaches, costumes,  Theo James looking studly! The show is not for Jane Austen purists but it’s entertaining. 

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1036 on: February 09, 2020, 04:32:49 PM »
I recall Theo James played the Turkish diplomat for an episode in the first season of Downton Abbey. Lady Mary and the diplomat had a scandal that had to be hidden.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1037 on: February 09, 2020, 04:44:04 PM »
Well my wife is traveling to give a couple key note speeches this week so I'm left to fend for myself. I'm really feeling a marathon X-Files AV skills to make up for it. 

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #1038 on: February 10, 2020, 10:30:57 AM »
Watched the Pharmacist on netflix over the weekend.   4 episodes documentary.  The pharmacist himself is very driven and meticulous in record-keeping to the point of being a hoarder but it is very interesting. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1039 on: February 15, 2020, 05:17:03 AM »

Wow, so many of you have watched it! I'd never heard of it before my husband (usually light years behind me wrt pop culture) suggested it.

I already have ...less than neutral feelings for pretty much every character. I can imagine hating them all eventually. DH has conflicting feelings about it so far too, so I'm guessing it'll be the rest of the season at best. If we get impatient and give it up I'll just read a synopsis of what happens.

I generally enjoy shows where the majority of characters are loathsome, but not when they're loathsome losers, especially when loathsome losers have unsexy miserable looking sex every three god damn minutes.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1040 on: February 15, 2020, 01:43:49 PM »
I indulged my inner eight year old and watched Dragon Prince. So cute. So easy and pleasant.

I also indulged my inner sixteen year old and watched 3%. So dystopia. Much good.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1041 on: February 15, 2020, 01:56:18 PM »
I have been watching Great News it is a sitcom about a news station, women leads and I think Tina Fey is involved, funny as heck.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1042 on: February 20, 2020, 11:41:13 AM »
Watching "Walking Through History" on Amazon Prime. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_Through_History

Beautiful scenery; using it to plan walks and hikes when we have to visit wife's family in UK.

Tony Robinson is still funny as ever (in reference to his Blackadder and Time Team days).

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1043 on: February 20, 2020, 01:10:52 PM »
season 3 of stranger things is ok. i'm getting bored with the whole premise though.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1044 on: February 20, 2020, 08:04:25 PM »
Hunters on Prime - so far so good!  I've been missing me some Nazi's since 'The Man in the High Castle' ended...

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1045 on: February 20, 2020, 08:24:02 PM »
I’m watching the latest season available on streaming Better Call Saul. I think it’s last season but it just got dumped into selections. Anyway I’m becoming a little tired of Vince Gilligan’s  style,  it’s just a bit too precious now After seeing it for so long I’m breaking bad and in previous Saul episodes.

The Ted Bundy docu series on Amazon is very very good. His long-term girlfriend finally speaks on camera extensively as does her daughter. They have some very interesting things to say about Ted at the time he was in their lives.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1046 on: February 21, 2020, 05:58:40 AM »
I am going back on CBS All Access through my Amazon Prime and watching favorite shows from the different Star Trek series. I watched "Yesteryear" from the Animated Series--the one written by D.C. Fontana where Spock goes back in time to save the life of himself as a child. Yes, a cartoon, but well-worth watching. And I watched "Trials and Tribble-ations" from DS9--a warm-hearted, funny mash-up of DS9 and TOS--fun and entertaining. Last night I watched "Yesterday's Enterprise" from TNG. Another keeper. With Discovery and even ST: Picard being relatively okay but a little iffy, I'm enjoying some of these oldies.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1047 on: February 21, 2020, 06:49:52 AM »
I didn't not read this entire thread, but any Schitt's Creek love in here? Fantastic show!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1048 on: February 21, 2020, 08:23:30 AM »
We just finished our Tivo'd season of Watchmen, and that was the most WHAT THE F-ING HELL IS GOING ON?!?!! fun that I've had in a long time.  When I would try to explain it to my sisters, I would hear myself sounding like I was on acid.  Good times.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1049 on: February 21, 2020, 04:19:07 PM »
I didn't not read this entire thread, but any Schitt's Creek love in here? Fantastic show!

Schitt's Creek definitely grew on me.

I've watched the first few episodes of Counterpart on Amazon Prime and really been enjoying it. I'm a sucker for shows that feature sci-fi themes around time travel or interdimensional travel.