Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 501261 times)

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #1950 on: November 17, 2022, 07:13:14 AM »
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

This one had me rolling with laughter. Great flick with a LOT of liberties on reality. Meant more as a satire of musician biopics and the weird changes they make to people's lives to try and turn them into more interesting 90 minute stories. Worth your time if you like a good laugh or have ever been a listener of Weird Al.

I really want to see this with my teen who is a huge Weird al fan.  However, it doesn't seem to be coming out in theaters here in Italy (probably because Weird Al's songs just don't translate well so he was never famous here).  Is this streaming anywhere?  Where did you watch it?

It's streaming for free on Roku! Here you go: https://therokuchannel.roku.com/watch/066097da82ed5762966888a59b151058/weird-the-al-yankovic-story

I'm in the US, so I am not sure if there are any gates in your region. Let me know if you have trouble watching it, I may be able to help.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1951 on: November 18, 2022, 09:48:00 AM »
'Fingers'. 1978.  Starring Harvey Keitel.  Interesting. About young man with a father in the mob. Young man wants to be a concert pianist, but also has mob responsibilities. Interesting acting.  Violence. Sex.  The movie was filmed  in 19 days. 

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1952 on: November 19, 2022, 08:18:56 AM »
"The Wonder" on Netflix.  A nurse in mid-1800s Ireland is asked to watch a young girl to prove, or disprove, the claim that she hasn't eaten for 3 months and yet is somehow still alive.  Intriguing and beautiful cinematography. 

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1953 on: November 19, 2022, 10:03:12 AM »
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

This one had me rolling with laughter. Great flick with a LOT of liberties on reality. Meant more as a satire of musician biopics and the weird changes they make to people's lives to try and turn them into more interesting 90 minute stories. Worth your time if you like a good laugh or have ever been a listener of Weird Al.

I really want to see this with my teen who is a huge Weird al fan.  However, it doesn't seem to be coming out in theaters here in Italy (probably because Weird Al's songs just don't translate well so he was never famous here).  Is this streaming anywhere?  Where did you watch it?

It's streaming for free on Roku! Here you go: https://therokuchannel.roku.com/watch/066097da82ed5762966888a59b151058/weird-the-al-yankovic-story

I'm in the US, so I am not sure if there are any gates in your region. Let me know if you have trouble watching it, I may be able to help.

Thanks for the link, reminded me of UHF, a nice supplies :)

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1954 on: November 19, 2022, 11:51:13 AM »
My wife felt like watching a Christmas movie last night and we let our daughter decide. She picked a newer one called Noelle. It was alright. Not too cheesy and enjoyable enough for kids and adults.

I doubt it will enter our normal Christmas line-up along with "Christmas Vacation", "Elf", "Christmas with the Kranks", or "White Christmas" though.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1955 on: November 21, 2022, 08:54:13 AM »
Enola Holmes 2. We really enjoyed the first and now second movie. I thought the second one was a little slow to get rolling but loved the ending. Hopeful for a third installment.

Watch both the Enola Homes movies this weekend after reading the above they were both quite good with the whole family enjoying them. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1956 on: November 21, 2022, 01:15:58 PM »
After seeing and enjoying Stoker early this year, I thought I'd check out the movie that inspired it: Shadow of a Doubt. Really good, great cast, fantastic and unexpected moment of fourth wall breaking that was a scary/exciting shock, esp for a movie that old. (Also interesting to see young Hume Cronyn playing an autistic-coded character in a little supporting role. There was no particular reason to play that character as autistic that I could tell, so I wonder whose idea that was.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1957 on: November 22, 2022, 08:58:12 AM »
I went with a friend and she and I saw The Chosen in theaters. I loved it. It's the first two episodes of the third season of the show about Christ, and it is beautifully written, produced, and acted.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1958 on: November 22, 2022, 12:38:18 PM »
After seeing and enjoying Stoker early this year, I thought I'd check out the movie that inspired it: Shadow of a Doubt. Really good, great cast, fantastic and unexpected moment of fourth wall breaking that was a scary/exciting shock, esp for a movie that old. (Also interesting to see young Hume Cronyn playing an autistic-coded character in a little supporting role. There was no particular reason to play that character as autistic that I could tell, so I wonder whose idea that was.
I will look into these. I like vampire films.

If you years ago we went on the “Dracula”  tour of Transylvania.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1959 on: November 22, 2022, 06:24:13 PM »
I will look into these. I like vampire films.

If you years ago we went on the “Dracula”  tour of Transylvania.

Neither of these are vampire films, just psychological thrillers.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1960 on: November 26, 2022, 11:15:10 AM »
Finishing up Noirvember with the new version of Nightmare Alley (I wanted to see the original, but it isn't available on disk apparently); and Gilda.

NA was very good, maybe not quite great. Bradley Cooper was too old for the role, but skeezy, self-destructive charmer seems to be his sweet spot. Lots of amazing production design.  I'd read the book (YIKES!) but my husband had not, so I was really looking forward to the gut punch ending. He figured it out about 15 minutes before it happened, though, so I didn't quite get the reaction I was hoping. Still pretty effective.

Gilda had a really great script and production design, quite 'modern' type performance from the leading man, Glenn Ford.  Stylish direction, too.  We got lucky with the print we saw, which was a beautiful restored version.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 11:19:49 AM by wenchsenior »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1961 on: November 26, 2022, 11:00:22 PM »
We saw an excellent Australian documentary last night - MAMIL - Middle Aged Men in Lycra, which is available to rent on various on demand services. Pretty good write-up in The Guardian when it came out https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/31/mamil-documentary-men-middle-age-cycling-lycra-health. It was really balanced, both what they get out of it and also how it affects their relationships. Really charming.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1962 on: November 27, 2022, 08:38:31 AM »
The Noel Diary  a Christmas movie on Netflix starring Justin Hartley and Barrett Doss.  A better than average Christmas movie and Doss was a standout. 
I'd like to see more of her work.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1963 on: November 28, 2022, 01:15:46 AM »
The Noel Diary  a Christmas movie on Netflix starring Justin Hartley and Barrett Doss.  A better than average Christmas movie and Doss was a standout. 
I'd like to see more of her work.
I've got that on the list for next weekend. This weekend, I went for two other not-better-than-average ones, Christmas with You (this was sweet and I liked both Aimee Garcia and Freddie Prinz Jr. in it) and Falling for Christmas. As noise fillers in the background as I sorted mountains of paper trying to find everything tax-related to send to the accountant, both perfectly fine.

I also watched Long Story Short, a time-travel film where a serial procrastinator travels forward a year to his next wedding anniversary just a few minutes after the last. A bit frenetic at times but I liked it, and cried at the appropriate emotional bits. Nice film.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1964 on: November 28, 2022, 01:27:47 PM »
Banshees of Inisherin

I was very excited to see this since In Bruges is one of my favourite movies of all time and this movie had incredible reviews. I had no idea what it was about going in, DH said "it's about friends who stop being friends" and I was like "uh, okay, cool."

Anyhoo, it...is...um...about friends who stop being friends. That is basically the plot. It's absolutely nothing like In Bruges, and it's EXTREMELY Irish. If you have old school Irish grand parents, you will understand exactly what this movie is about. If you don't??? Oof, um...yeah...it's something.

DH is Irish Catholic from a family in a remote, rural mining town on the ocean, so he was lit up by the end just saying "That was the most Irish thing I've ever seen. That was amazing."

I am NOT Irish. I come from cheerful, aristocratic Danish city folk, and I came away from it thinking "WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK WAS THAT????"

Like all fucking highly rated fucking movies these days, this movie is slow as fuck. There's a whole lot of beautiful shots of Ireland and moody, stilted conversations.

Then there's a key turning point where the movie continues with the same panoramic shots, the same moody, stilted conversations, but the plot just goes past the point of no return where you're just like "welp, I guess this is the kind of movie I'm watching and I just have to accept that"

Anyhoo, is it good? I don't know. It might be. Maybe it's absolutely genius. The acting is superb, it's very original, the scenery is beautiful, and I believed every second of it, which is saying a lot of you know what the key plot elements are.

Would I recommend it? ABSOLUTELY NOT! It was one of the more unpleasant cinematic experiences I've ever had.

So if you're into The Power of The Dog type movies where you like things being slow and uncomfortable, then this movie is aces for you.

If you're thinking "Fuck yeah! I loved In Bruges! I love Brendan Gleeson movies! This should be fun!"

It is not. It is not fun. It is brilliant. It is a cinematic experience. It has some VERY funny moments. But it is not fun.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1965 on: November 28, 2022, 01:30:52 PM »
Lol, that sounds like exactly my kind of movie, but sounds like one I'll watch on my own.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1966 on: November 28, 2022, 01:40:52 PM »
Banshees of Inisherin

I was very excited to see this since In Bruges is one of my favourite movies of all time and this movie had incredible reviews. I had no idea what it was about going in, DH said "it's about friends who stop being friends" and I was like "uh, okay, cool."

Anyhoo, it...is...um...about friends who stop being friends. That is basically the plot. It's absolutely nothing like In Bruges, and it's EXTREMELY Irish. If you have old school Irish grand parents, you will understand exactly what this movie is about. If you don't??? Oof, um...yeah...it's something.

DH is Irish Catholic from a family in a remote, rural mining town on the ocean, so he was lit up by the end just saying "That was the most Irish thing I've ever seen. That was amazing."

I am NOT Irish. I come from cheerful, aristocratic Danish city folk, and I came away from it thinking "WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK WAS THAT????"

Like all fucking highly rated fucking movies these days, this movie is slow as fuck. There's a whole lot of beautiful shots of Ireland and moody, stilted conversations.

Then there's a key turning point where the movie continues with the same panoramic shots, the same moody, stilted conversations, but the plot just goes past the point of no return where you're just like "welp, I guess this is the kind of movie I'm watching and I just have to accept that"

Anyhoo, is it good? I don't know. It might be. Maybe it's absolutely genius. The acting is superb, it's very original, the scenery is beautiful, and I believed every second of it, which is saying a lot of you know what the key plot elements are.

Would I recommend it? ABSOLUTELY NOT! It was one of the more unpleasant cinematic experiences I've ever had.

So if you're into The Power of The Dog type movies where you like things being slow and uncomfortable, then this movie is aces for you.

If you're thinking "Fuck yeah! I loved In Bruges! I love Brendan Gleeson movies! This should be fun!"

It is not. It is not fun. It is brilliant. It is a cinematic experience. It has some VERY funny moments. But it is not fun.

Good to know the tone is not like In Bruges (dammit).  I will definitely watch this at some point (I don't mind slow uncomfortable movies) and I really hope Colin Farrell gets an Oscar nod this year after many years of great work, but I will definitely need to discuss prior to inflicting it on my husband, who was also hoping for something like In Bruges.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1967 on: November 28, 2022, 01:42:25 PM »
Thanks for the warning @Malcat !  :P

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1968 on: November 28, 2022, 01:52:57 PM »
Banshees of Inisherin

Definitely stay away from any Terrence Malick movies.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1969 on: November 28, 2022, 02:06:12 PM »
Banshees of Inisherin

I can't wait to see this movie, but I've read enough about it to realize it is probably going to be deeply unpleasant. I definitely expect to come away from it thinking: A) That was amazing; and B) God, that was just awful and horrifying.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1970 on: November 29, 2022, 01:26:30 PM »
I can't wait to see this movie, but I've read enough about it to realize it is probably going to be deeply unpleasant. I definitely expect to come away from it thinking: A) That was amazing; and B) God, that was just awful and horrifying.

If you're prepared for it to be awful, then you will probably come away from it thinking "that was a lot funnier than I expected it to be."

I was going in expecting classic Brendan Gleeson: In Bruges, Calvary, The Guard, The Grand Seduction (which is good, but utter shite compared to the original French version), that kind of thing.

Brendan Gleeson excels in these absurd, charming movies that have a distinctly dark tongue-in-cheek humour. This movie isn't that.

Tonally, I would say it's nearly identical to Colin Ferrell's "The Lobster," which is not only absurd, but intentionally heinously uncomfortable. Occasionally funny, but almost as a vehicle for making the discomfort worse, not better.

For example, I loved the Gleeson show "Mr..Mercedes" and found it eminently watchable, and the horror and violence of that show was much darker than this movie. But the humour and charm within it makes the immersion into that world feel more real.

In this movie, you're never supposed to feel included into their world, the same way you're never supposed to feel welcomed into the world of "The Lobster."

You are supposed to be a helpless spectator just watching what happens and wondering where on earth this is going until you realize it's just going bad, and there's nothing you can do but uncomfortably watch it go bad.

So yeah, if you love Brendan Gleeson movies, this ain't one of those. But if you loved "The Lobster" this might be right up your alley. Colin Ferrell's character is even quite similar.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1971 on: November 29, 2022, 02:46:26 PM »

If you're prepared for it to be awful, then you will probably come away from it thinking "that was a lot funnier than I expected it to be."

I was going in expecting classic Brendan Gleeson: In Bruges, Calvary, The Guard, The Grand Seduction (which is good, but utter shite compared to the original French version), that kind of thing.

Brendan Gleeson excels in these absurd, charming movies that have a distinctly dark tongue-in-cheek humour. This movie isn't that.

Tonally, I would say it's nearly identical to Colin Ferrell's "The Lobster," which is not only absurd, but intentionally heinously uncomfortable. Occasionally funny, but almost as a vehicle for making the discomfort worse, not better.

For example, I loved the Gleeson show "Mr..Mercedes" and found it eminently watchable, and the horror and violence of that show was much darker than this movie. But the humour and charm within it makes the immersion into that world feel more real.

In this movie, you're never supposed to feel included into their world, the same way you're never supposed to feel welcomed into the world of "The Lobster."

You are supposed to be a helpless spectator just watching what happens and wondering where on earth this is going until you realize it's just going bad, and there's nothing you can do but uncomfortably watch it go bad.

So yeah, if you love Brendan Gleeson movies, this ain't one of those. But if you loved "The Lobster" this might be right up your alley. Colin Ferrell's character is even quite similar.

That makes sense. I do love In Bruges, and was expecting something like that until I read a spoiler-y review (I don’t really mind spoilers, generally). I have seen and liked The Lobster, so that does give me a sense of how it will feel.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1972 on: November 29, 2022, 04:15:47 PM »
The ads I saw for Banshees of Inisherin made in seem like a sappy maudlin thing, and I was happy to ignore it, but apparently it isn't.

I'm going to take my girl friend to it, just for the Irishness. Psyched.  Thanks, Malcat.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1973 on: November 29, 2022, 05:44:11 PM »

That makes sense. I do love In Bruges, and was expecting something like that until I read a spoiler-y review (I don’t really mind spoilers, generally). I have seen and liked The Lobster, so that does give me a sense of how it will feel.

Ah, ok. The Lobster. So it will be my cup of tea (now that I'm prepared) but most definitely not my husband's.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1974 on: November 30, 2022, 07:37:04 AM »
Saw the Black Panther 2 over the weekend, and was very disappointed.  Odd pacing, predictable plot, soundtrack was obtrusive and distracting, much longer than it needed to be, and the villain didn't become interesting until the very end (and even that was a big let down from Killmonger).  Basically worse than the first one in every way.

Wouldn't have bothered to see it in theaters, but my MIL wanted to take us, so we didn't turn it down.  In retrospect, I'd rather have stayed home.

@Malcat, what did you think of Mrs. Harris goes to Paris?  I think you said you were going to see it a few pages back, but I didn't see if you liked it.  We thought it was a cute, fluffy bit of fun.

Agreed with everyone that Everything Everywhere All at Once was the best (new) film I've seen in years.  I've been recommending it to everyone I know.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1975 on: November 30, 2022, 07:48:26 AM »
Saw the Black Panther 2 over the weekend, and was very disappointed.  Odd pacing, predictable plot, soundtrack was obtrusive and distracting, much longer than it needed to be, and the villain didn't become interesting until the very end (and even that was a big let down from Killmonger).  Basically worse than the first one in every way.

Wouldn't have bothered to see it in theaters, but my MIL wanted to take us, so we didn't turn it down.  In retrospect, I'd rather have stayed home.

@Malcat, what did you think of Mrs. Harris goes to Paris?  I think you said you were going to see it a few pages back, but I didn't see if you liked it.  We thought it was a cute, fluffy bit of fun.

Agreed with everyone that Everything Everywhere All at Once was the best (new) film I've seen in years.  I've been recommending it to everyone I know.

I never ended up watching it. It's on my list though, but I mostly watch movies with DH and he has no interest in it. I will over the holidays though since I'll be isolating for a few weeks before surgery. So thanks for the reminder!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1976 on: November 30, 2022, 10:08:57 AM »
My wife and I started watching the old tv show Reno 911 a couple of months ago (seasons 1-6 on Amazon). It was made in the mid-late 2000s so there's a lot of actors/comedians who went on to be in other shows (Community, Parks and Recreation, Key & Peele, etc.) that had recurring roles so it's interesting seeing them before they became more famous (Keegan-Michael Key, Paul Rudd, Jim Rash, Patton Oswalt, Zach Galifianakis, etc.)

They brought everyone back last year to make a movie - Reno 911: The Hunt for QAnon. It was ok overall. They recaptured a lot of the feel of the show despite it being over a decade later.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1977 on: November 30, 2022, 06:34:29 PM »
In Bruges is on my Top Ten list of films. I don’t know what the others are, but I know that one is. I also loved Power of the Dog although I will confess that someone had to explain an important plot point to me. I can’t say that I loved The Lobster  but it was… Interesting. I didn’t hate it.

So I was looking forward to this new Brendon Gleeson  film,. I need to make sure I am in the mood for it. I’d better see it in a theater with no other distractions from home.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:23:55 AM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1978 on: November 30, 2022, 06:42:04 PM »
Speaking of Irish films, does anyone know the film The Secret of Roan Innish? That one is one of my all-time favorite films too.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1979 on: November 30, 2022, 06:59:28 PM »
We just watched Knives Out (DVD rental from the library) since the new one Glass Onion : A Knives Out Mystery is coming soon. It's funny that I haven't heard of it before but I suppose murder mystery isn't usually my genre.. enjoyed it.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1980 on: December 01, 2022, 11:02:20 AM »
Speaking of Irish films, does anyone know the film The Secret of Roan Innish? That one is one of my all-time favorite films too.

I remember watching it back when it came out, and liking it. But I have no memory of what actually happened in it. Getting old.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1981 on: December 01, 2022, 11:08:28 AM »
Just watched the indie from Australia, The Stranger, now streaming on Netflix.

Really good low-key procedural based on a true story; terrific co-lead performances. I did need subtitles on to decipher the mostly grunted or mumbled dialogue through the Aussie accents, though.  I've definitely become a fan of Joel Edgerton over the years :makes mental note to look for more of his movies:

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1982 on: December 01, 2022, 08:26:19 PM »

I remember watching it back when it came out, and liking it. But I have no memory of what actually happened in it. Getting old.

Isn't that the one with islands and a mermaid ?

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1983 on: December 01, 2022, 08:46:52 PM »
Watched Bullet Train with the family over the Thanksgiving holiday - surprisingly funny if you can handle gratuitous violence. (Definitely not always my cup of tea.)

Think "Ready or Not"'s humor meets "Kill Bill"'s violence and stylization meets over-the-top, neon-esque visuals of something like "Gunpowder Milkshake".

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1984 on: December 03, 2022, 08:03:04 AM »

Yes I think so.  Children are the main characters and they discover a magical being off their shore. Funny, I can’t remember if it’s a mermaid or what exactly.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1985 on: December 03, 2022, 09:04:03 AM »
"Emily the Criminal "  Aubrey Plaza gets into some dicey situations.  Liked the movie.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1986 on: December 03, 2022, 09:43:06 AM »

Yes I think so.  Children are the main characters and they discover a magical being off their shore. Funny, I can’t remember if it’s a mermaid or what exactly.

Selkies!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1987 on: December 03, 2022, 02:44:17 PM »
Just got back from Violent Night.

Not my kind of movie, but DH's nephew loves violent movies and we're trying to give him some extra attention because he's having a rough time.

It's a very, very silly movie. It has some decently funny moments. For Stranger Things fans, it's basically Hopper in a Santa Suit kicking ass. We just finished season 4 the other day, so it was just like a continuation of the character.

It attempts to be self aware by leaning into a cheesy, sentimental Christmas movie vibe with the little girl, but it's not smart enough to really make that self awareness clever. So instead it just ends up seeming legitimately schmaltzy instead of ironically, which makes it kind of tedious. Basically the little girl is supposed to be hilarious in her earnestness, but just ends up being excessively earnest.

There are many references to other Christmas, action, and horror movies, and some of the violence setups are pretty creative.

All in all, if you have someone you love who really wants to see this movie, it's a painless fun time to make someone else happy. But would I recommend seeing it for yourself?

N'ah

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1988 on: December 03, 2022, 07:08:37 PM »
OH!

I almost forgot the best part of the movie! It wasn't anything to do with the movie, it was the preview beforehand for the new movie Cocaine Bear!

I think this is already my favourite movie and I've only seen the preview. It's inspired by the true story from the 80s of cocaine bricks that fell from a plane and were ingested by a black bear. The rest of the movie is entirely fiction and looks absolutely ridiculous, but if the ad is true to the tone of the movie, then it's exactly the right kind of ridiculous.

It's directed by Elizabeth Banks, and her most recent directorial effort was the latest disastrous Charlie's Angels (I haven't seen it, but the reviews are awful), so perhaps Cocaine Bear won't live up to my expectations, but I sure hope it does.

I could really use a gonzo comedy about a bear on cocaine on a killing rampage.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1989 on: December 04, 2022, 08:33:57 AM »
I was surprised at how enjoyable 'Nope' turned out to be.  It's billed as a horror movie, but wasn't really - more in the vein of Tremors but a little less campy.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1990 on: December 04, 2022, 10:34:28 AM »

Selkies!
Thank you, yes, selkies!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1991 on: December 04, 2022, 03:28:09 PM »
I was surprised at how enjoyable 'Nope' turned out to be.  It's billed as a horror movie, but wasn't really - more in the vein of Tremors but a little less campy.

Oh good to know. I also had low expectations but could go for a campy "horror" movie.

We watched The Forgiven with Ralph Fiennes and Jessica Chastain, from last year.  I thought it was pretty heavy-handed and predictable, but actually might have been the best of the at-least-3 movies I've seen Matt Smith in this year.  But that's not saying a lot.  Very meh.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1992 on: December 05, 2022, 09:26:01 AM »

There is a new TV series based on the movie, so we watched the original movie this weekend. The special effects are very dated, but we found the movie still holds up. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1993 on: December 05, 2022, 09:44:54 AM »
The original Willow had brownies as characters.  They of course have nothing to do with race (seemed like they were depicted as white French-Canadian woodsmen in the movie), but the fact that this involves a people and the colour brown makes me wonder if the outrage divas of the internet will tolerate it.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1994 on: December 07, 2022, 09:12:25 PM »
Burn After Reading (on HBO Max).  Just watched 'Amsterdam' (meh) which made me want to watch this...  so frickin good!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1995 on: December 08, 2022, 12:53:35 PM »
Baby Assassins as part of the Japan Film Festival. Super fun and not really much like the synopsis. Want to watch two teens try to learn how to live together and blow interviews at convenience stores while balancing the demands of their main job [killing people]? Then hunt this one down.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 02:33:27 PM by mspym »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1996 on: December 08, 2022, 02:32:16 PM »
Baby Assassins as part of the Japan Film Festival. Super fun and not really much like the synopsis. Want to watch two teens try to learn how to live together and blow interviews at convenience stores while balancing the demands of their main jobs? Then hunt this one down.

Pass.  I was holding out hope for a show about people assassinating babies.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1997 on: December 08, 2022, 02:32:56 PM »
Baby Assassins as part of the Japan Film Festival. Super fun and not really much like the synopsis. Want to watch two teens try to learn how to live together and blow interviews at convenience stores while balancing the demands of their main jobs? Then hunt this one down.

To be clear, their main job is killing people.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1998 on: December 08, 2022, 03:14:45 PM »

To be clear, their main job is killing people.

Is it just regular people, or babies though?

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1999 on: December 08, 2022, 03:43:46 PM »
I want to see "The Fablemans" but apparently it's already come and gone from US theaters?!