Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 501241 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #1300 on: March 29, 2021, 07:47:12 AM »

Good family movie, lives up to my expectations of a Disney movie. Cute characters some funny bits and wholesome story line with a happy ending.

Heh.  We watched this this weekend.  Not a bad movie, but it certainly had a few peculiarities to it.

Like - the whole underlying message of the movie is supposed to be how important it is to trust other people.  But then every time that anyone trusts another person in the whole movie, it results in tragedy (except at the very end).  So the message that I got out of it was, unless the stakes are literally the end of all human life you should never trust another person.  And the frickin' characters that DID learn to trust one another don't really matter.  All the various leaders of the world (two of which have shown themselves absolutely untrustworthy already) end up getting together and pretending to be able to work together happily at the end.  Y'know . . . just exactly the way they did before they betrayed one anther earlier on.  The darker message that I don't think they meant to get across to kids is "always pretend repentance, people will accept you back.  And then you can strike when their guard is down!  There will be no real repercussions in the end."

Also, it felt like Disney was trying to cram a whole RPG worth of story into a two hour runtime.  We start out with a 10+ minute summary of the current geopolitical situation and history, then we've got a quest to travel to five separate locations (starting out in idyllic land to gain XP on easy enemies, later we travel to your kinda India place, your basic watertown, your basic ice world, and finally your evil empire who doesn't care about other human life for the boss battle) in the world to collect bits of glowing macguffin.  This is a land so diverse that only variations of south and east Asian people exist( . . . I'm guessing due to expectations about selling this movie to the Chinese market?).  Of course, along the way we get the immediate introduction and inclusion into the party of five separate/diverse characters who have little to no time at all for a backstory.

Again - not a bad movie, the animation was great and the voice acting was fine (ugh, although I suspect that many of the prochronistic modern terminology used will not age well . . . "besties", " popin' and lockin' " and the like).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:57:27 AM by GuitarStv »

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #1301 on: March 29, 2021, 08:37:35 AM »
Since my last posting here, I've seen,

That Thing You Do (1996)
This was a nice popcorn flick.  If you read the credits, you learn that Tom Hanks has some nice musical skills as well as acting.  I would recommend this a nice feel-good movie for someone looking for some light watching.

Arachnophobia (1990)
I saw this when it first came out and didn't like it.  Thirty years later I still don't like it.  The best part was John Goodman's exterminator.

Jane Eyre (1997)
I went into this movie never having read the book nor seeing any other movie adaptation of it.  I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.  It had a good story with a couple of plot twists I didn't see coming, and the acting was superb.  I would definitely recommend this one.

10,000 B.C (2008)
This was a mediocre movie.  It wasn't particularly good, nor particularly bad.  There were two things I truly enjoyed about this movie: 1) trying to figure out just what the heck was going on, and 2) the respect shown to language.  I don't mean the strange English, but rather they didn't gloss over the fact that when you're faced with an unknown language, you don't understand, and you can't just magically learn it in no time.  It was amusing, because if that one guy who did all the translating were to disappear, the whole movie would have fallen apart.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1302 on: March 29, 2021, 10:56:38 AM »
Promising Young Woman

Not entirely successful, partly b/c I'm not sure exactly what message the filmmaker was aiming for with the ending; there was a bit of tonal conflict toward the end of the film.  Personally, I read it as pretty nihilistic from the early minutes of the movie, but my reaction is apparently not shared by some viewers. But it was a very entertaining film, with a terrific lead performance.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it freely, though. It's a movie that would generate a huge range of reactions, some of which I'm sure would be outright hatred.  The closest comparisons I can think of are American Psycho (movie, not book) and Heathers.  If you liked those movies, you'll probably like this one (pitch black comedy/social satire and very strong aesthetic sense that is important thematically).

It's quite surprising and delightful at all the Oscar attention this is getting as well...it is NOT the kind of movie that the Academy has traditionally gone for at all.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1303 on: March 29, 2021, 11:08:12 AM »
Promising Young Woman

Not entirely successful, partly b/c I'm not sure exactly what message the filmmaker was aiming for with the ending; there was a bit of tonal conflict toward the end of the film.  Personally, I read it as pretty nihilistic from the early minutes of the movie, but my reaction is apparently not shared by some viewers. But it was a very entertaining film, with a terrific lead performance.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it freely, though. It's a movie that would generate a huge range of reactions, some of which I'm sure would be outright hatred.  The closest comparisons I can think of are American Psycho (movie, not book) and Heathers.  If you liked those movies, you'll probably like this one (pitch black comedy/social satire and very strong aesthetic sense that is important thematically).

It's quite surprising and delightful at all the Oscar attention this is getting as well...it is NOT the kind of movie that the Academy has traditionally gone for at all.

I don't recall being made to feel so uncomfortable so many times at any other movie I have seen.  Definitely not a date flick :)  If you know what you are getting yourself in to, it's really well done and certainly spurs thought and conversation.  My only complaint would have been just how extreme and black and white (or maybe black and blacker) the events are, which made it feel too fictional toward the end.  I think a bit more nuance and gray at times would have made it come across as being based on a real story, but that's just my opinion and a nitpick at that.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1304 on: March 30, 2021, 01:17:15 PM »
I am interested in Promising Young Woman - it seems like a cross between Ingrid Goes West and the American Psycho movie, in tone and visual styling.

Last night we watched The World's a Little Blurry and it was excellent.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1305 on: April 03, 2021, 08:01:20 PM »
I have been watching some kid-friendly documentaries with my son. A couple of our favorites - Paperclips, a 2004 film about a middle school in a rural town in Tennessee that decides to do a project about the Holocaust, and the students and staff learn more than they ever expected; and On the Way to School, a 2013 film that documents the stories of 4 students from different parts of the world who have to travel long distances to attend school.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1306 on: April 03, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »
Watched mid90s tonight. It's Jonah Hill's first movie.

It's all about a tween kid who falls in with a sketchy skateboard crew of older teenage boys. It's all mid90s skate culture.

It's so Jonah Hill, he just oozes through the entire film despite not being in it, which is great, I quite like him.
I wouldn't recommend this to a lot of people because it's not necessarily the most entertaining movie, but damn if it isn't a great film. By that, I mean if you look at it as art, the purpose of art is to make you feel, and this movie is all feel. It's a damn mood and it never once falters from it.

There's no one recognizable in it. The biggest actor is the kid from Manchester By The Sea, and he has a minor role as the kid's asshole brother. Three of the most prominent characters have only this film credit, so they're total unknowns. They're all skateboarders though, so they must have been recruited from that world. They are amazing. The guy who plays "FuckShit" is a gem. Yes, the character's name is FuckShit, and it's great, and the actor is magnetic.

It's not a nice story, and things do not go well for the main kid, but it's about a kid with issues finding others with issues and connecting with them over skateboarding and they're all a bunch of degenerates with issues together forming those kinds of intense bonds and fixations that teens form.

Back to the mood though, music obviously plays a huge role, but not in that overdone nostalgic way. In fact, this movie is not nostalgic. You might become nostalgic if you were a 90s skater kid, but the movie evokes that time in earnest, not in nostalgic retrospect. So the music isn't ham fisted either, it's appropriate to the era, but it blends into the background. This is a product of my beloved Trent Reznor. Speaking of the 90s...
I loved NIN back in the day, and I've loved Reznor's movie music work for decades, and in this movie, the music is so key to the mood, which is what it's all about.

I have one HUGE problem with it though. This fucking 80lb tween has several scenes where he has no experience with drugs or alcohol and manages to consume enough substances to fuck up a well seasoned adult partier, and he manages to get only a bit tipsy and stumbly. It so broke the otherwise perfect immersion for me and that really pissed me off. There were multiple scenes where I was like "How is that tiny child still standing? This is stupid."

So yeah, I'm not necessarily recommending the movie, I'm not sure how many people would really enjoy it, but certain people will absolutely vibe with the mood of it. DH and I both did, but we both have memories of hanging out with degenerate 90s skater punks and getting chased by police because there was no greater social menace at the time than skateboarding youths!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1307 on: April 04, 2021, 01:04:58 AM »
Watched mid90s tonight. It's Jonah Hill's first movie.

I've seen this movie, all the way through.  I don't know where, I don't know why.  I vaguely remember parts of it.  I had a lot of skater friends in the 90s, so maybe that's why...

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1308 on: April 06, 2021, 06:13:17 AM »
Malcat,

I just watched Mid90s. It did have a vibe to it, didn't it?

I liked the kid. He had a nice smile. He played his role well, as the new kid wanting to be accepted into the socially acceptable group. To be 'cool'. Jonah got that part right. Social dynamics. Hierarchy.

I was  a skateboarder as a kid in Tarzana, California in the 60's. We had a huge long hill I rode down.  I rode crazyfoot, like the kid in the movie. Left foot on the back of the board. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1309 on: April 07, 2021, 07:46:15 AM »
Halfway through Tesla, starring Ethan Hawke as Tesla, the inventor.

Interesting so far. But Hawke so far only has two expressions. Stunned, and worried. Maybe Tesla was always self-absorbed with his genius, and therefore was not concerned about his facial expressions? 

It's interesting to see the financial and legal wrangling that went on with new technology. 

The relationships are believable.  And no vomit scene yet, which is a plus.   

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1310 on: April 07, 2021, 09:17:59 PM »
We watched the original Coming to America last night with E, who is roughly the same age as we were when it came out. Certain bits have Not Dated Well but overall? Stood up pretty well.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1311 on: April 08, 2021, 02:16:51 PM »
Just saw 'Adverse' starring Mickey Rourke. I liked Rourke in his early days better, but I still like him now. 

This is what they call a "B" movie, I think. It's kind of schlocky, with brutal editing here and there. Like a Japanese monster movie.

But............  I liked it. 

Rourke plays a bad loan shark guy, who has people killed. He has a bunch of sleazy degenerate criminals working for him.

The hero of the story is a poor working stiff trying to do right, who has his sister end up dead, from her being involved with the loan shark. Hero goes postal on the bad guys. Not with a gun, but with a crobar from his car. Convenient, and free!  Hero kills a dozen bad creeps with a crobar bash to the skull. The secret is finding the bad guys zoned out looking at ipad, with headset on, then just walk up to them, and bash! Easy! And on to the next one...

I won't tell you how it ends, but Rourke has a big part in the ending.

Not for everyone, but I found it to be a fun quick movie that made sense, and had a classic good ending, in my humble opinion.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #1312 on: April 08, 2021, 02:23:43 PM »
The last movie I saw was

"All of me" (1984) with Steve Martin and Lilly Tomlin
This was a decent comedy.  I loved Steve Martin in my youth, and it was fun being reminded why.  The only beef I have with this film is how they portrayed the Nepali guru.  I kept telling the screen, "C'mon, he's a foreigner, not an idiot!"

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1313 on: April 08, 2021, 02:49:21 PM »
The last movie I saw was

"All of me" (1984) with Steve Martin and Lilly Tomlin
This was a decent comedy.  I loved Steve Martin in my youth, and it was fun being reminded why.  The only beef I have with this film is how they portrayed the Nepali guru.  I kept telling the screen, "C'mon, he's a foreigner, not an idiot!"

Aww the good old 80s and Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin.  I was just thinking about "Big Business" an absolutely silly movie I loved when I was like 10 where Bette and Lily each had twins and one of each was swapped at birth.  So many great Bette Midler movies in this vein, like Outrageous Fortune, also with Shelley Long.  And I have fond memories of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Martin and Michael Caine.  Feels like I should have an 80s marathon soon.

I saw Easy A a few days ago with Emma Stone.  From like 2011 but feels simultaneously much older and much more recent somehow.  I felt like it overplayed the whole thing about it being self-conscious just a tiny bit but was not bad overall.  Stone's character also had some serious nostaliga for 80s flicks.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1314 on: April 08, 2021, 02:55:22 PM »
@sui generis I like Easy A, mostly for the onscreen dynamic between Emma Stone and her parents. (Tucci!)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1315 on: April 08, 2021, 03:52:57 PM »
@sui generis I like Easy A, mostly for the onscreen dynamic between Emma Stone and her parents. (Tucci!)

I really dislike Emma Stone, but I so enjoyed the parents.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1316 on: April 09, 2021, 05:17:56 PM »
I watched About Time on Netflix. It was a movie about a guy who all the males in his family can travel back in time and sort of replace themselves to do something different and come back. Most of the characters were British, and I enjoyed the humor a great deal. I like British banter when done well (like Dr. Who), and this one had me laugh out loud multiple times at just the back and forth dialogue. At times serious, most of the time humorous. I liked the ending (no spoilers and all that) but feel like many people probably wouldn't.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1317 on: April 09, 2021, 06:24:07 PM »
I watched About Time on Netflix. It was a movie about a guy who all the males in his family can travel back in time and sort of replace themselves to do something different and come back. Most of the characters were British, and I enjoyed the humor a great deal. I like British banter when done well (like Dr. Who), and this one had me laugh out loud multiple times at just the back and forth dialogue. At times serious, most of the time humorous. I liked the ending (no spoilers and all that) but feel like many people probably wouldn't.

DH and I both loved that movie. I think it unfortunately got mis-marketed as a Nicholas Sparks type romantic flick, but it really isn't. It's more of a father-son movie than a romance, and different in such a creative and charming way.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1318 on: April 09, 2021, 08:22:57 PM »
I was just reminded on another thread of a movie called "Finding Forrester" with Sean Connery. Definitely a good one.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1319 on: April 10, 2021, 05:20:13 AM »
I watched Unhinged last night on Amazon Prime with Russel Crowe. Was good but very disturbing and violent. He really put the weight on either for the movie or? but in any case he became Unhinged and looked the part. Not for the feint at heart.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1320 on: April 23, 2021, 08:12:45 PM »
Husband chose Wonder Woman 1984 for tonight's viewing. Gal Gadot certainly looks the part, and there are a few funny moments. Still, most of the movie isn't great.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1321 on: April 23, 2021, 08:39:25 PM »
My wife and I watched Evolution the other night. It's hard to believe it's 20 years old, but it was a nice funny movie.

We enjoyed it overall. I'd seen it before but probably around the time it came out so I only remembered the general plot. One nice thing was the main characters weren't idiots. So often in a comedy they make the characters do stupid things to get a laugh but in this case the main characters are community college science teachers and actually portrayed as fairly intelligent.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1322 on: April 23, 2021, 09:25:44 PM »
We recently watched Paris, TX which is a rather odd movies from the 80s, good for people with a bit of nostalgia and a hankering for melancholy.

Also watched Juliet, Naked.  Actually rather enjoyed this although I enjoyed Ethan Hawke *much* less than I usually do.  But the movie overall was a nice diversion. Just a couple years old, but never heard much about it at the time...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1323 on: April 23, 2021, 09:40:19 PM »
We recently watched Paris, TX which is a rather odd movies from the 80s, good for people with a bit of nostalgia and a hankering for melancholy.

Also watched Juliet, Naked.  Actually rather enjoyed this although I enjoyed Ethan Hawke *much* less than I usually do.  But the movie overall was a nice diversion. Just a couple years old, but never heard much about it at the time...

I also saw Juliet, Naked recently and I'm still undecided whether I think it was good or crap. There's a lot good in the movie, I'm just not sure it ever really found its own tone, so it's a lot of great parts, but the sum of them is just kind of odd.

Like all 3 main actors are fantastic, and they all have some great scenes and even some really good chemistry...but...I don't know, it's good, but also crap.

I would say for anyone looking for a lazy Sunday afternoon movie to watch while folding the laundry, if you go in with "sounds watchable" expectations, you will be pleasantly surprised by the many quite good aspects of this movie. Just don't expect irreverence.

As for Ethan Hawke, I thought you were supposed to not overly like him. Like that's part of what makes the tone of the movie so odd.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1324 on: April 24, 2021, 08:43:35 AM »

I also saw Juliet, Naked recently and I'm still undecided whether I think it was good or crap. There's a lot good in the movie, I'm just not sure it ever really found its own tone, so it's a lot of great parts, but the sum of them is just kind of odd.

Like all 3 main actors are fantastic, and they all have some great scenes and even some really good chemistry...but...I don't know, it's good, but also crap.

I would say for anyone looking for a lazy Sunday afternoon movie to watch while folding the laundry, if you go in with "sounds watchable" expectations, you will be pleasantly surprised by the many quite good aspects of this movie. Just don't expect irreverence.

As for Ethan Hawke, I thought you were supposed to not overly like him. Like that's part of what makes the tone of the movie so odd.

I was interested in seeing that movie, but then I decided to read the book first and I ended up despising all three main characters, so I skipped the movie. Which is sort of a bummer b/c I like all three actors.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1325 on: April 24, 2021, 10:15:16 AM »

I was interested in seeing that movie, but then I decided to read the book first and I ended up despising all three main characters, so I skipped the movie. Which is sort of a bummer b/c I like all three actors.

And all 3 actors do a great job, they really do...at being unlikable characters with weird dynamics.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1326 on: April 24, 2021, 04:10:24 PM »

You never know.  I thought the book A Simple Favor was bad, but the movie with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively was great. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1327 on: April 24, 2021, 04:55:47 PM »

You never know.  I thought the book A Simple Favor was bad, but the movie with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively was great.

Agree. Well, maybe I wouldn't call the movie great, exactly. But 1000x better than the book for sure.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1328 on: April 24, 2021, 05:06:08 PM »

Agree. Well, maybe I wouldn't call the movie great, exactly. But 1000x better than the book for sure.

Definitely not a great movie, but a fantastic first half of a movie. So fun to watch I didn't even care that the end was dumb. In fact, I have no memory of how it ended.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1329 on: April 26, 2021, 08:27:11 AM »

Re-watched this 2003 movie with stars like Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walken directed by Steven Spielberg how can it not be a great movie. I had forgotten many parts from watching it years ago and still enjoyed the movie.  The concept of cheque fraud, maybe be lost on many who never use cheques and only know of electronic fund transfers. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1330 on: April 26, 2021, 08:55:39 AM »
We watched the Photograph, with Issa Rae and LaKeith Stanfield and enjoyed it.  It did have the "Friends" problem of leaving you wondering how the characters are able to have such stunning homes in NYC.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1331 on: April 26, 2021, 12:15:17 PM »

Re-watched this 2003 movie with stars like Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walken directed by Steven Spielberg how can it not be a great movie. I had forgotten many parts from watching it years ago and still enjoyed the movie.  The concept of cheque fraud, maybe be lost on many who never use cheques and only know of electronic fund transfers.

Didn’t we talk about this film on this thread sometime ago? I’m too lazy to go back and check.

Frank Abnagle’s book, Catch Me If You Can, was such a fun romp  40 some years ago when it came out. I have no doubt he exaggerated parts of his life, because he is after all a ConMan, but it was pretty damn entertaining.

How they managed to take that book and turn it into a dull film is beyond me, but that’s what they did in my opinion of course. Not a Leo fan here.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1332 on: April 26, 2021, 12:29:05 PM »

Didn’t we talk about this film on this thread sometime ago? I’m too lazy to go back and check.

Frank Abnagle’s book, Catch Me If You Can, was such a fun romp  40 some years ago when it came out. I have no doubt he exaggerated parts of his life, because he is after all a ConMan, but it was pretty damn entertaining.

How they managed to take that book and turn it into a dull film is beyond me, but that’s what they did in my opinion of course. Not a Leo fan here.

I too found the movie painfully dull, and actually turned it off out of boredom.

However, that may have been because I tried to watch it after watching "Second Hand Lions", which is a tough act to follow. I love that movie so, so much.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1333 on: April 26, 2021, 01:25:04 PM »
Did anyone watch Mortal Kombat over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but the game was huge when I was growing up.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1334 on: April 26, 2021, 01:58:12 PM »
Did anyone watch Mortal Kombat over the weekend? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but the game was huge when I was growing up.

I've already watched a Mortal Kombat movie in theaters.  Fool me once . . .

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1335 on: April 26, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »

I've already watched a Mortal Kombat movie in theaters.  Fool me once . . .

Hahaha! Same. Still upset about it.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1336 on: April 26, 2021, 04:10:52 PM »

However, that may have been because I tried to watch it after watching "Second Hand Lions", which is a tough act to follow. I love that movie so, so much.

Just wanted to echo I really, really enjoyed Second Hand Lions. I don't think I've ever really heard anyone else give an opinion on it, so it's nice to hear that I wasn't the only one.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #1337 on: April 26, 2021, 05:57:36 PM »
I also adore Secondhand Lions and the fact that Berkley Breathed (of Bloom County) did the cartoons for it just made it all the more wonderful for me. It is one of those films I just came across and took a chance on since I love Michael Caine.

I just watched:

Mr. Holmes, with Ian McKellan - saddish but good, and apparently deviated significantly from the book to tie it all up in a nice neat bow. 

Lured, with Lucille Ball (1947) - really nice old noir. She still manages to have some funny lines, but she's very underrated for her dramatic chops.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1338 on: April 27, 2021, 07:00:33 AM »

Just wanted to echo I really, really enjoyed Second Hand Lions. I don't think I've ever really heard anyone else give an opinion on it, so it's nice to hear that I wasn't the only one.

I honestly have no idea why people don't know about this movie. I've made dozens of people watch it and everyone who does loves it. I really can't imagine many people who wouldn't enjoy it.

That said, if you were to describe it to me, I probably wouldn't voluntarily watch it either. So I think it's just a matter of it being very hard to market.

But yeah, folks reading this thread, go watch Second Hand Lions, I'm smiling just thinking about it.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1339 on: May 01, 2021, 08:22:02 PM »

I watched this movie last night and really enjoyed it. The ending got me in the feels.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1340 on: May 01, 2021, 10:08:39 PM »
Love And Monsters

It's fun, it's a fresh take on post-apocalyptic, it's not predictable, one of the main characters is a really cool dog who is probably the best actor in the movie, and that's not an insult to the other actors, the dog is just really, really good. It's got a lot of snappy dialogue, and it's visually cool.

It's not at all mind blowing, it's not amazing, it's just a solid, fun, fresh movie that I think most people would enjoy. Especially people who love awesome dogs.

FYI, the trailer that Netflix shows for it is literally just the first minutes of the movie, and is just exposition, it's not what the movie is about. It's an adventure movie, not a bunker movie.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1341 on: May 02, 2021, 11:28:02 AM »
Love And Monsters

It's fun, it's a fresh take on post-apocalyptic, it's not predictable, one of the main characters is a really cool dog who is probably the best actor in the movie, and that's not an insult to the other actors, the dog is just really, really good. It's got a lot of snappy dialogue, and it's visually cool.

It's not at all mind blowing, it's not amazing, it's just a solid, fun, fresh movie that I think most people would enjoy. Especially people who love awesome dogs.

FYI, the trailer that Netflix shows for it is literally just the first minutes of the movie, and is just exposition, it's not what the movie is about. It's an adventure movie, not a bunker movie.

That was a charming 'monster' movie, for sure.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1342 on: May 02, 2021, 06:40:37 PM »
I liked 'Save Yourselves!' as another recent, fun end of the world kinda movie.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1343 on: May 02, 2021, 10:03:54 PM »
Watched "Liar, Liar" for my "legal movies podcast." Jim Carrey plays a lawyer who lies constantly, in and out of work, until his son makes a birthday wish that he can't lie for 24 hours. I had never seen it (I wasn't a big fan of Jim Carrey in his heyday--his humor was too high-energy for me) but my brother said he thought I might like it. It was OK but I just don't think it was for me. I am looking forward to hearing what the podcasts hosts have to say about lawyers and the ethical obligations around lying.

Saw "Raya and the Last Dragon" which I really liked, although it was not one of the Disney/Pixar movies I think will stay with me long-term. The animation is just gorgeous.

Over the weekend, saw "The Opposite Sex" which was a 1950s musical remake of the classic "The Women." Apparently it's considered terrible but I kind of liked it--I enjoyed seeing a parade of Hollywood stars in great costumes and it was fun, for instance, to see a very young Joan Collins doing a "New York" accent and a very young Leslie Nielsen playing a classic Hollywood role.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1344 on: May 04, 2021, 08:21:07 AM »

Guilty as charged.  The movie itself was as expected, but this 'what the pitch might have sounded like' is a whole lot of fun to watch after having seen the flick - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=157_gef0P10

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1345 on: May 04, 2021, 08:37:10 AM »

May the 4th be with you!

Good night to watch your favourite Star Wars movie.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1346 on: May 04, 2021, 12:47:19 PM »

May the 4th be with you!

Good night to watch your favourite Star Wars movie.

Blasphemer!  There have only been three Star Wars movies.  Just as there was only one Matrix movie.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1347 on: May 22, 2021, 06:51:17 AM »
'Alone'.  Thriller about a young woman who is kidnapped while driving through the Northwest.     

I liked it, mainly because of the competent acting, and also because it has a happy ending. Spoiler? Sorry. 

I though for sure that the actor playing the villain was Jason Sudekis, but it isn't. He does a good job playing the super creepy kidnapper.

Has lots of 'hard to believe' moments, like lots of thriller movies, lol. But still a fun movie.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1348 on: May 22, 2021, 07:42:03 AM »
Galaxy Quest - probably the 5th or 6th time my wife and I have watched it but it's a great movie. Lots of great one-liners and a great cast including a bunch of people in minor roles that are a lot more famous now (first role for the actor that played Dwight on the Office).

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1349 on: May 22, 2021, 08:55:19 AM »
Galaxy Quest - probably the 5th or 6th time my wife and I have watched it but it's a great movie. Lots of great one-liners and a great cast including a bunch of people in minor roles that are a lot more famous now (first role for the actor that played Dwight on the Office).

One of my favorite movies. We watch it at least once a year.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!