Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 501168 times)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #400 on: March 31, 2019, 08:28:07 AM »
Wench, in a year of weak films The Favourite was fun. I was astonished that it was nominated for an Academy award and then, didn’t it win? I was just very surprised, So many people didn’t think that much of it. I enjoyed it, and it will be something I watch again.

Nominated for 10 Academy Awards, won best actress.  It's the kind of movie you'd expect would score a bunch of technical noms, but it definitely was a little surprising that it got so many major nominations...they don't always reward odd duck movies. 

Interesting note: Needless to say, the costumes designer (Sandy Powell) was nominated.  A few days later, my husband and I were watching the recent live-action Cinderella movie, and again, the costumes were just amazing, but polar opposite in design and color palate from the incredible costumes in The Favourite. But it turned out to be the same costume designer!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #401 on: March 31, 2019, 11:54:44 AM »
Wench, in a year of weak films The Favourite was fun. I was astonished that it was nominated for an Academy award and then, didn’t it win? I was just very surprised, So many people didn’t think that much of it. I enjoyed it, and it will be something I watch again.

Nominated for 10 Academy Awards, won best actress.  It's the kind of movie you'd expect would score a bunch of technical noms, but it definitely was a little surprising that it got so many major nominations...they don't always reward odd duck movies. 

Interesting note: Needless to say, the costumes designer (Sandy Powell) was nominated.  A few days later, my husband and I were watching the recent live-action Cinderella movie, and again, the costumes were just amazing, but polar opposite in design and color palate from the incredible costumes in The Favourite. But it turned out to be the same costume designer!
I love that when a particular artist’s vision is so strong that it carries through from film to  film.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #402 on: March 31, 2019, 03:57:42 PM »
Movie lovers... do you watch all of the credits? Just wondering. It amazes me how many people take part in making these films, because the jobs are so very different from mine.  And sometimes there are those bits at the end the early leavers miss too...

I watch credits only because I want to see the very last piece of information which is shooting locations.Settings are very important to me and I always want to know where the things are shot.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: April 01, 2019, 05:15:45 AM »
I saw a couple of documentaries in theaters recently. I saw Free Solo which was cool. I loved seeing the quirks of Alex Honnold and the cinematography was great. Seeing how he was living in a van, he would probably make a good mistachian.

I also saw Apollo 11 which was mostly remastered 70mm footage from the 1960’s and some animations to help illustrate what the the vehicles were doing. All of the commentary was from that period too.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: April 09, 2019, 08:40:02 AM »
Disney's Descendants 2.

I loved it. No regrets.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #405 on: April 09, 2019, 08:48:24 AM »
Ooh, I watched two on a plane yesterday, both very good but for very different reasons:

VICE - about Dick Cheney, made me very angry

Sometimes Always Never - low key quirky British comedy had the people next to me commenting that whatever I was watching must be good, I loved it.

SwitchActiveDWG

• Stubble
« Reply #406 on: April 10, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
I saw a couple of documentaries in theaters recently. I saw Free Solo which was cool. I loved seeing the quirks of Alex Honnold and the cinematography was great. Seeing how he was living in a van, he would probably make a good mistachian.

I also saw Apollo 11 which was mostly remastered 70mm footage from the 1960’s and some animations to help illustrate what the the vehicles were doing. All of the commentary was from that period too.

Free Solo was interesting, makes me a bit anxious just watching it though.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #407 on: April 10, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »
In The Loop.  the guy who does Veep did this movie back in 2009 and it is epic for British cursing and funny insults.  i died laughing the whole way through it.

edited to correct:  wrong title.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:04:56 AM by MDfive21 »

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #408 on: April 10, 2019, 11:09:02 PM »
I saw Shazam. It was fun. Worth the Rotten Tomatoes 91%.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #409 on: April 11, 2019, 04:56:17 AM »

Free Solo was interesting, makes me a bit anxious just watching it though.

You’re not the first person that has told me that. I was telling some other people about it in real life and they also seemed to be freaked out about the idea of just watching someone climb like that.

It didn’t bother me at all. I guess I can compartmentalize that kind of stuff where it doesn’t bother me. I also used to work on forklifts that would lift me like 40ft. In the air and that never bothered me either.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #410 on: April 11, 2019, 05:01:04 AM »
I saw Shazam. It was fun. Worth the Rotten Tomatoes 91%.

I agree. I saw it over the weekend and it’s probably the best DC super hero movie I’ve scene recently. I like that it didn’t try to take itself too seriously.

The one criticism I thought was valid is that it seemed like Shazam and Billy didn’t seem like the same character. Shazam was goofy without getting dark but Billy was darker and never got as goofy as Shazam. It was still enjoyable.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: April 13, 2019, 05:55:15 AM »
I just saw "Us" by Jordan Peele. I liked "Get Out", also by Peele.

But I walked out of "Us". It was good for the first half hour, when it seemed like a Stephen King novel.  But when  the violence began, the movie went downhill for me. There was something too weird about it. 

I've seen violent movies before, like Pulp Fiction, and enjoyed them. But "Us" was just too weird for me, I guess.       

edit to add:  Most of the reviewers were raving about this movie, although they said it wasn't as good as 'Get Out'.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:58:49 AM by slackmax »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: April 13, 2019, 06:21:11 AM »
Movie lovers... do you watch all of the credits? Just wondering. It amazes me how many people take part in making these films, because the jobs are so very different from mine.  And sometimes there are those bits at the end the early leavers miss too...

Yes, I do.

Once, they shut off the movie before the credits finished so a local professor could launch into a discussion of the movie (supposedly an added bonus). I said "Hey, can't we see the whole movie?" and, to their credit, they rolled the credits to the end, then started the discussion.

Hey, you just gotta stand up for yourself sometimes. 

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #413 on: April 13, 2019, 06:44:53 AM »

Yep, especially if we're in a theater, but we usually watch the credits at home, too, even for movies with no expectation of an extra scene.

Last night we watched Paprika, which was very fun and thought-provoking.  What Inception could have been if they had treated the dreams like dreams, and not like slightly altered real life.  Dream logic abounds.

We did not watch the credits, because they hadn't subtitled them, and I can't read Japanese.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #414 on: April 15, 2019, 05:49:14 AM »
Watched Shutter Island on Hulu yesterday. It wasn't what I thought it would be and the ending was very twisted and unexpected. Pretty strange indeed!

I was expecting to be scared out of my wits but it wasn't that type of movie, it was more psychological.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #415 on: April 15, 2019, 08:37:36 AM »
Watched Free Solo last night and it was *stressful*. My husband wasn't as stressed as me, so I think it's right, as they say in the movie, that it may seem less stressful to non-climbers than to climbers.  People who know how it feels to put two or three fingers on a small hold or try to trust your feet on that slippery granite in Yosemite. During the final climb, my hands started sweating so much I needed some chalk myself.

That said, I felt like it spent a little too much time on the girlfriend relationship.  The parts about the relationship with family felt like they could use more time and I couldn't help wondering where his sister was.  But I really appreciated the discussions with the crew about their role and worry about how they might subconsciously influence his choices. Good to know how thoughtful they were about it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #416 on: April 15, 2019, 08:43:57 AM »

Yep, especially if we're in a theater, but we usually watch the credits at home, too, even for movies with no expectation of an extra scene.

Last night we watched Paprika, which was very fun and thought-provoking.  What Inception could have been if they had treated the dreams like dreams, and not like slightly altered real life.  Dream logic abounds.

We did not watch the credits, because they hadn't subtitled them, and I can't read Japanese.

Most of Satoshi Kon's stuff is worth giving a view.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #417 on: April 18, 2019, 03:46:21 AM »
Watched Mindscape on Roku last night and it was so twisted but not that scary and just so so. However, I had the worst nightmare in years because of it. I couldnt get out of my dream!

I also watched The Gift on Hulu and that was a very good movie from around 2000. Was a day off so hammered out a few movies.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: April 20, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »
I know "Darkest Hour" (the Winston Churchill movie) is fictionalized and way-oversimplified, but I still really enjoyed it. I tend to like WWII-set movies, especially ones set away from the battlefield. I did think it was a good reminder as to why there was division among the British leadership about how to react to Hitler, specifically that the memory of all the lives lost in WWI made many people wary about getting involved in an unwinnable war that would just end up wasting lives.

Rented the latest Fantastic Beasts movie from the Harry Potter universe. Those always look great, and it's interesting to see adult wizards and witches using their powers in contrast to the kid series where the students are just learning and things go wrong half the time (or there's a lot they aren't allowed to do at all).  I agreed with the reviews that said it was heavy on the plot and light on the character development, though...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #419 on: April 20, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »
I like to watch apocalyptic type movies where a virus, disease, bomb kills off most of humanity and the people that survive have to scrounge for food, hide from the bad guys and just try to survive and repopulate the earth. Anyone have any suggestions for some good movies? I am not really into zombies. I watched The Road recently and it is pretty bleak.

I wanted to watch I think we are alone now with Peter Dinklage but it is not on Hulu or Netflix which I subscribe to.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: April 20, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »
I like to watch apocalyptic type movies where a virus, disease, bomb kills off most of humanity and the people that survive have to scrounge for food, hide from the bad guys and just try to survive and repopulate the earth. Anyone have any suggestions for some good movies? I am not really into zombies. I watched The Road recently and it is pretty bleak.

I wanted to watch I think we are alone now with Peter Dinklage but it is not on Hulu or Netflix which I subscribe to.

Bird Box?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #421 on: April 21, 2019, 05:37:05 AM »
Anyone watch Hoarders? OMG, sometimes I think I am not organized but after watching these shows, I am a clean machine. Right now I have about 12 giant garbage bags ready to donate to Vietnam Vets.

Everytime I watch the show I want to run around the house and throw stuff out!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #422 on: April 21, 2019, 09:15:09 AM »
Anyone watch Hoarders? OMG, sometimes I think I am not organized but after watching these shows, I am a clean machine. Right now I have about 12 giant garbage bags ready to donate to Vietnam Vets.

Everytime I watch the show I want to run around the house and throw stuff out!

For me it's the tidying up shows like Maria Kodoma on Netflix.  I already keep the house pretty immaculate, but I do have a tendency toward accumulation creep certain areas.  Like pots/pans and jackets.  Just have to be extra ruthless with myself in those areas. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #423 on: April 24, 2019, 04:03:53 AM »
Started watching Traitor last night a Netflix original series. Very good but it takes an Episode or two to really get going and characters set up.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #424 on: April 24, 2019, 06:55:00 AM »
this thread is for movies.  TV thread is here.. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/what-tv-series-do-you-like/

:)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #425 on: April 24, 2019, 08:32:14 AM »
Saw The Favourite this weekend and was very intrigued. Great, great, fabulous acting. The camera work was... interesting. Frequent use of a fish eye lens, which I wasn't super sure about. But other design elements were rich and stunning. The story seems pretty fabricated and not particularly true to history in the details and the last minute was quite odd. So mixed overall, but I think the good outweighed the odd for me.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #426 on: April 24, 2019, 11:33:20 AM »

An oldie, Waterworld. People make fun of it but DH and
I thought it was decent.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #427 on: April 24, 2019, 12:34:58 PM »
Watched Day of Wrath and old Dreyer film.  Was better than his other big film Gertrud but not as good as The Passion of Joan of Arc.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #428 on: April 25, 2019, 02:40:24 PM »

An oldie, Waterworld. People make fun of it but DH and
I thought it was decent.

I like that movie too! as well as everyone in my home. I think with all the bad press when they were making it because of the time and over budget it was to make it just couldnt live up to all the hype.

I stumbled up Grudge Match on Roku last night with  Sylvester Stallone, Robert De Niro and Kevin Hart and thought it was kinda funny.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #429 on: April 26, 2019, 11:53:26 PM »
I watched It Comes At Night.  I love a good horror/thriller movie, but they are so hard to find and I generally don't have anyone to watch them with.  So I try to pick carefully.  I should have read more reviews, but it's so hard to tell with reviews.  You can't tell whose side you'll come out on unless you watch it yourself.

Anyway, this was in fact a pretty good film.  I would not call it a horror movie.  It was depressing and dramatic.  It was well-made and the actors were mostly strong.  The story was quite predictable (especially once I realized it was not going to be an actual horror movie).  So I continue my search. 

I'm going to try Hereditary next.  I love Toni Collette.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: April 27, 2019, 06:40:25 AM »
So nobody else had any interest in the horror movie 'Us'? 

I am currently working my way through an old Woody Allen movie on a VCR tape called 'September'.  About a half hour into it. Very 'interior'. Maybe a little like 'Ice Storm'.  A bunch of middle ages folks inside an apartment, talking about angst and futility and heartbreak and whether they should even be involved romantically. 

Mia Farrow is the Woody Allen type person here. 

So far, so good. It's keeping my interest for some reason. Maybe just because it's a Woody Allen movie I haven't seen yet. lol...     

And after I watch it,   I  can allow myself to donate it somewhere.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #431 on: April 27, 2019, 07:32:03 AM »
I have HBO at the moment for Game of Thrones, so rewatched "Crazy Rich Asians." Liked it just as much the second time!

Also watched "Mary Poppins Returns" which I did not care for much. There were definitely charming parts, but I wish they had gone a more original direction instead of recreating the original (visit Mary Poppins' odd relative, animated fantasy sequence, big dance number with working class guys with ladders,  etc.). Although I like Emily Blunt a lot, I also thought it was unfair to put an average singer in a position to be compared with Julie Andrews. There are a lot of actresses with really amazing voices out there they could have cast. My biggest issue, though, was the character of Michael. In this version, he's a recent widower who cannot manage his household and children at all because his wife used to do it. I thought the plot was going to be about Mary Poppins "fixing" things by helping him step up as a parent (similar to how the original Mary Poppins helped Mr. Banks be more comfortable and present in his children's lives) but other than Mary Poppins helping them grieve for their mother a bit, there's not much sign at the end of the movie that he's learned anything.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #432 on: April 27, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
I know "Darkest Hour" (the Winston Churchill movie) is fictionalized and way-oversimplified, but I still really enjoyed it. I tend to like WWII-set movies, especially ones set away from the battlefield. I did think it was a good reminder as to why there was division among the British leadership about how to react to Hitler, specifically that the memory of all the lives lost in WWI made many people wary about getting involved in an unwinnable war that would just end up wasting lives.

You might like 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day', which is set during that time period. It was very well written and clever.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #433 on: April 28, 2019, 12:48:33 PM »
We had an odd spring snow storm yest. evening - They said we'd get 2-6" (we got 1.5) so I rented 'Mule' w/ Clint Eastwood from Redbox.
Vauge, weak character development.
Slow story build.
A very anti-climatic AND UN-portrayed climax / ending.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: April 28, 2019, 03:47:09 PM »

Last night I watched Juggernaut, a 1974 movie about a bomb on a  ship. It's not a great movie. It's not  a bad movie. It is not apocalyptic so I don't commend it to you.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: April 28, 2019, 06:07:59 PM »
Watched Mortal Engines. It was visually very stylish. Other than that, it was a lot of plot and not a lot of character development. At least one character just totally disappeared during the last act of the movie and they never did say what happened to him.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: April 28, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »
Watched Rob Roy on VHS. Liam Neeson. I enjoyed it. Sex, violence,  deception, bad luck, betrayal, honor defended successfully. Decent acting.  A really sleazy, awful villain who gets sliced with a broadsword at the end of the movie, so that was good. Liam wins in the end, but he loses a few kinfolk in the struggle against the  villain.

Slow2FIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #437 on: April 28, 2019, 09:36:37 PM »

A Quiet Place
Bird box
Madmax movies
Planet of the apes movies
Elysium
Oblivion (maybe)

No zombies in these end of the world movies

I am legend has "vampires" but is an enjoyable post apocalyptic movie (don't water your time on either of the originals, Omega man especially fails to work in modem culture...)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #438 on: April 28, 2019, 09:57:40 PM »
We and a couple of friends splurged on movie tickets to see Avengers: Endgame. Husband is a big Marvel-verse fan, so he really enjoyed it. I'm less of a superhero fan but still enjoyed it.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: April 29, 2019, 03:45:08 PM »

A Quiet Place
Bird box
Madmax movies
Planet of the apes movies
Elysium
Oblivion (maybe)

No zombies in these end of the world movies

I am legend has "vampires" but is an enjoyable post apocalyptic movie (don't water your time on either of the originals, Omega man especially fails to work in modem culture...)

Years ago I watched Omega Man.

I like the Mad Max movies too.

Their costuming and punk hair is cool.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:48:04 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #440 on: April 29, 2019, 05:52:10 PM »
I really liked the recent Mary Queen of Scots. I guess it was criticized for not being very historical, but other than the ethnicity of actors and the fact that she and Elizabeth never met, it seemed largely accurate and not out of bounds at all for a movie. Excellent acting and plotting. I was totally engaged throughout and had to read up on the real monarchs afterwards... Very fascinating

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #441 on: April 30, 2019, 04:24:55 AM »
Started Watching the series the Americans on Prime. Great series. Lover spy movies.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #442 on: May 01, 2019, 08:14:46 AM »
Watched Mr and Mrs Bridge on VHS tape. Starring Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. About a successful but emotionally repressed lawyer, who means well,  and his relationships with wife and 2 daughters.

Takes place in the U.S. and Europe, during WW 2.   

Classic good stuff. Happy ending.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #443 on: May 01, 2019, 12:34:53 PM »
So I watched Avengers: Endgame yesterday with a friend (Tuesday $5 at AMC).  It really incorporated all the Avengers before it.  So there was a debate online with the order you are supposed to watch them before checking out the last one.

Captain America: The First Avenger (1943 – 1945)
Captain Marvel (1995)
Iron Man (2010)
Iron Man 2 (2011)
The Incredible Hulk (2011)
Thor (2011)
Avengers (2012)
Iron Man 3 (2012)
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2014)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Ant-Man (2015)
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2016)
Doctor Strange (2016 – 2017)
Black Panther (2017)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Ant-Man and The Wasp (2017)
Avengers Infinity War (2017)
Avengers: Endgame (2019)

If you were to watch all 22 movies, along with every spin-off and Marvel Netflix series, you’ll watch over nine full days of Marvel films.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #444 on: May 01, 2019, 12:50:21 PM »
So I watched Avengers: Endgame yesterday with a friend (Tuesday $5 at AMC).  It really incorporated all the Avengers before it.  So there was a debate online with the order you are supposed to watch them before checking out the last one.

Captain Marvel (1995)
Iron Man (2010)
Iron Man 2 (2011)
Thor (2011)
Avengers (2012)
Iron Man 3 (2012)
Ant-Man (2015)
Black Panther (2017)

If you were to watch all 22 movies, along with every spin-off and Marvel Netflix series, you’ll watch over nine full days of Marvel films.

The ones on Netflix have almost nothing to do with the movies (ie, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, etc...).  However Agents of Shield has tons of tie ins to the movies and pretty much follows along the main plot lines.  Agent Carter is also directly connected to the movies and I don't believe it was a Netflix show either. 

BTW, Agents of Shield was terrible the first season.  To it's credit, it got better every season.  The last season was pretty darn good.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #445 on: May 01, 2019, 02:31:57 PM »

Captain Marvel (1995)
Iron Man (2010)
Iron Man 2 (2011)
Thor (2011)
Avengers (2012)
Iron Man 3 (2012)
Ant-Man (2015)
Black Panther (2017)

Somehow I've seen more of those movies than I realized (half). I'm not showing this list to my husband because it might turn into our next staycation. I like Marvel movies but in discrete measures.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: May 12, 2019, 08:43:42 AM »
Also went to see the new Avengers movie. I thought it was fine, but I was less excited about it than some of the other MCU movies I have seen lately--I think that's because I've found some of the newer characters to be more interesting than the original Avengers. The film-makers did a good job of managing a lot of moving pieces, and the ending featured my very favorite character in the MCU so I was pretty pleased about that. Anyway, I am now fully caught up with major pop culture franchises and can quit making conversations with me a spoiler-free zone.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #447 on: May 12, 2019, 10:23:27 PM »
I recently rewatched the Austin Powers movies with my kids.

It was weird.  Those movies are very much a product of the 90s and my generation's pop culture, but they're about the 60s and my parents' generation, and I was watching them with my kids who view the 90s the same way that I viewed the 60s when I was their age. 

The characters time travel back and forth between the 90s and the 60s as if they are two entirely different worlds separated by a bleak gulf of lost decades, but my brain does not think 2019 is all that different from 1994.  At least not in the same way that 1994 is different from 1969, even though they are literally the same number of years apart.

Plus, the movies are full of crude humor that has held up pretty well.  Fart jokes are always funny to 13 year olds, no matter what generation you're from.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #448 on: May 12, 2019, 11:50:57 PM »
On a plane, watched Glass, the third in the M. Night Shyamalan trilogy that started with Unbreakable. I never saw the second one, but it was pretty much unnecessary. Which I think is probably a bad sign generally. The movie was just ok. I wouldn't bother.

Also watched On the Basis of Sex, which was nicely done and interesting. It didn't dwell on activity in the court or Justice Ginsburg's long and storied career. It was just the beginning, and that felt just right.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #449 on: May 15, 2019, 05:33:31 AM »
"I Am Dragon" free on Amazon Prime. In Russian with English subtitles, but don't let that stop you. OMG--beautiful cinematography, heartfelt, gripping story--and despite cliffhanger moments (literally)--a lovely, satisfying ending. Sort of a Beauty and the Beast story--only better. Not really a children's movie--probably around age 11 or 12 and up. No sex, but some of the dragon scenes would probably be too scary for little ones--and of course you have to be old enough to read the subtitles. Highly recommended.