Author Topic: What made your day?  (Read 263957 times)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
Re: What made your day?
« Reply #350 on: September 30, 2015, 04:25:25 PM »
I went to physical therapy for my arm today, and found out that I won't owe anything out of pocket because we are all maxed out for the year.  It's been a rough year medically, so it's nice that for this it is all covered.

for the first time ever, I reached the max so unless it's something out of network, everything is free.  Isn't it weird to react that this is a good thing, when what it really means is I spent a hella lot on medical care this year?  I got a 4k bill for one measly test and it said my insurance would only pay $600 towards it.  Opened the letter from my insurance next, I was so happy to get that letter, I had no idea I was even in the ball park.  So I have to pay $400 for that test, then no more. Now to get everyone to hurry up and order anything expensive before Jan1!
Well we haven't paid for the latest emergency, but I know that 2 ER visits, a hospitalization, and emergency surgery will take us to our OOP max.  We were already well above our deductible.  I'm extremely thankful for the insurance, and even more thankful that we went with the higher coverage available through DH's new job!

I'm saving every penny (above investing and extra to debt, lol) for when these bills start coming in, should be soon!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #351 on: September 30, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
Good luck! It is crazy the out of pocket costs for a year. 

what made my day today is my dad has to drive me to a zillion appts. My dad is not mushy or gushy at all.  But all the car time we talk, I have never, even as a child, spent so much alone time with him. So took him to his favorite fish fry place and we had time to waste.  Somehow my mom having an end stage disease and her being gone sometime came up. He never talks about this. I said, "Oh God, we're stuck with each other."  He said no, he'll be moving his GF in. (totally a joke, he's not that much of an ass) He looked sad, so out popped the former hospice nurse who I thought was long gone and I asked him to tell me the story of how they met, when he knew she was the one (after first date, he told my grandmother, "you met the woman I am going to marry.") Shocked at this story, he really is the least sentimental person I know, he was even smiling! He broke up with her when he got drafted, he could be killed, he wanted her to have someone in case he never came back. She wrote him letters in bootcamp and he never opened them!  His mother wrote to him that he was horrible that he never wrote back, she cries (turns out my grandmother was giving her cooking lessons!) Then he got sent to code school and found out he would be stationed a few hrs away from her for a year, he could see her every weekend. "And that's all remember."  The proposal? "I think she asked me." What did he feel like on his wedding day?  "sheesh, that's enough, didn't Obama do anything today? How's Bernie?"  My dad is Archie Bunker minus the bigot parts, that he talked this much about my mom and love, is a miracle! He didn't make my day, he made my year!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #352 on: September 30, 2015, 06:43:21 PM »
Good luck! It is crazy the out of pocket costs for a year. 

what made my day today is my dad has to drive me to a zillion appts. My dad is not mushy or gushy at all.  But all the car time we talk, I have never, even as a child, spent so much alone time with him. So took him to his favorite fish fry place and we had time to waste.  Somehow my mom having an end stage disease and her being gone sometime came up. He never talks about this. I said, "Oh God, we're stuck with each other."  He said no, he'll be moving his GF in. (totally a joke, he's not that much of an ass) He looked sad, so out popped the former hospice nurse who I thought was long gone and I asked him to tell me the story of how they met, when he knew she was the one (after first date, he told my grandmother, "you met the woman I am going to marry.") Shocked at this story, he really is the least sentimental person I know, he was even smiling! He broke up with her when he got drafted, he could be killed, he wanted her to have someone in case he never came back. She wrote him letters in bootcamp and he never opened them!  His mother wrote to him that he was horrible that he never wrote back, she cries (turns out my grandmother was giving her cooking lessons!) Then he got sent to code school and found out he would be stationed a few hrs away from her for a year, he could see her every weekend. "And that's all remember."  The proposal? "I think she asked me." What did he feel like on his wedding day?  "sheesh, that's enough, didn't Obama do anything today? How's Bernie?"  My dad is Archie Bunker minus the bigot parts, that he talked this much about my mom and love, is a miracle! He didn't make my day, he made my year!

I'm copying this post and sending it to you in a pm. I know you've been having memory problems, and you are going. To want to read this again - it should help in locating it to have it there.

How wonderful for both you and your dad!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #353 on: September 30, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »

I'm copying this post and sending it to you in a pm. I know you've been having memory problems, and you are going. To want to read this again - it should help in locating it to have it there.

How wonderful for both you and your dad!

that is the sweetest thing to do for me, I thank you very much

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #354 on: October 05, 2015, 12:56:11 PM »
NW up almost 100k today. Some seeds I have planted in the past six months are starting to bear HUGE fruit. It's funny, on crappy market days I can tune things out pretty well. On days like this I am glued to CNBC/BNN (Canuck version of CNBC). Funny how that works. :)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #355 on: October 05, 2015, 08:05:37 PM »
I met my mm's OT today. She fosters abused animals, up to 12 at a time for a private dog rescue.  Then she said, "two of them are on Fospice (hospice for dogs).

I had read about this and when better totally planned on doing that, it would not be too physical, you bring a dying dog to your home so her end of life is not in some crate with not enough staff.  With my hospice skills, I know (eventually) I can do this and it will fulfill my need to serve but I'm also ready for a break from sick humans.  None of our area shelters do this, my long range plan was to research it and offer to do it for them.  The programs I read about, the shelter pays for the medical care.  This fits me so well, I am so glad it showed up in FB feed one day.

I have no idea how this woman cares for 12 dogs and works FT, wow.  So she told me the name of the private rescue that needs Fospice volunteers.  BUT they do not pay for their medical needs.  Since I am likely to be pretty low income on SSDI, this would be a problem.  I am hoping when the timing is right I can do this and convince a shelter they are paying medical care anyways, continue to pay for it and I will make sure the dog never suffers and is loved up until her passing.  Fingers crossed for down the road

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #356 on: October 06, 2015, 05:37:12 AM »
Friend gave me a lift home from work today and we sat in the driveway chatting for half an hour because we just had SO MUCH to talk about :D love it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #357 on: October 06, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »
Took my son for a hike yesterday.  He's two years old, so spent most of his time staring at things and trying to eat them.  At one point he finally quieted down and walked along for a bit.  Eventually he came upon a stick that was stuck in the mud.  He couldn't pick it up, but it was clear to me that he wanted a walking stick to take on his exploration of nature.  I freed the stick for him and continued down the path . . . Only to turn around just in time to see the stick go:

WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM

Into some nearby foliage.  It turns out that he didn't want a walking stick, he just really doesn't like flowers.

:P

jordanread

« Reply #358 on: October 06, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »
Friend gave me a lift home from work today and we sat in the driveway chatting for half an hour because we just had SO MUCH to talk about :D love it.

That's awesome. It reminds me of the Traffic Test from from this Wait But Why article.

Quote from: Wait But Why
I enjoy spending time with most of my friends—that’s why they’re my friends. But with certain friends, the time is so high-quality, so interesting, and so fun that they pass the Traffic Test.

The Traffic Test is passed when I’m finishing up a hangout with someone and one of us is driving the other back home or back to their car, and I find myself rooting for traffic. That’s how much I’m enjoying the time with them.

Passing the Traffic Test says a lot. It means I’m lost in the interaction, invigorated by it, and that I’m the complete opposite of bored.

Took my son for a hike yesterday.  He's two years old, so spent most of his time staring at things and trying to eat them.  At one point he finally quieted down and walked along for a bit.  Eventually he came upon a stick that was stuck in the mud.  He couldn't pick it up, but it was clear to me that he wanted a walking stick to take on his exploration of nature.  I freed the stick for him and continued down the path . . . Only to turn around just in time to see the stick go:

WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM

Into some nearby foliage.  It turns out that he didn't want a walking stick, he just really doesn't like flowers.

:P

I was really hoping for some epic Arthur and the sword in the stone (or mud) story. But that was a great story. Gotta love awesome hikes!!

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #359 on: October 15, 2015, 12:15:06 AM »
The doorbell rang at 8:15 a.m. this morning and when I opened it I met a very  nice, polite process server who had a court summons for someone else (a former owner of our home, whom we do not know and do not have contact information for. Apparently nobody else does, either).

Happily turned the process server away with honesty and truth, then skipped out the door to teach knowing that whatever else may happen to me today, at least I'm not being summoned to court. 

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #360 on: October 15, 2015, 05:25:05 PM »
I got paid today! Time to make another payment on that CC. Freedom is coming :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: October 15, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »
Sent a birthday card to a started-out-as-a-work-colleague-but-rapidly-becoming-a-good-friend of my husband.

They have travelled together for work and he's a really good guy, much better established in the industry, who always looks out for my husband.

So I sent him a card from the two of us.

He called my husband and raved about it. :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #362 on: October 15, 2015, 06:32:16 PM »
Last (half) day of work before three weeks of leave!

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #363 on: October 16, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
It's Friday! And my IRA gains topped $3 today! Every little bit helps right?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #364 on: October 16, 2015, 03:02:08 PM »
Beautiful fall day! Spent some time cleaning out the gardens and harvesting what I can before our first frost. And the dogs got to hang out in the yard.  It is the little things that bring peace and joy.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: October 16, 2015, 03:08:48 PM »
I'll second that! Except the weather's a bit gloomy here :( Still a good day though

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #366 on: October 16, 2015, 03:10:47 PM »
I'll second that! Except the weather's a bit gloomy here :( Still a good day though

Sunny, windy, and in the 50s-60s today! Warm in the sun, I didn't need a jacket, but definitely did not have to worry about sweating.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #367 on: October 19, 2015, 02:17:07 AM »
Got my new computer set up. After years of frustration at my slow 8-year-old beast, I finally bought a new computer.  Oh what a difference!  For mustachian reasons, I'm kind of glad I held out as long as I did, but now I see I pushed it too far.  Having a computer that works is pretty nice. And being able to still save 3x the cost of the computer this month even after buying it?  Even nicer.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #368 on: October 19, 2015, 05:55:05 AM »
This isn't a one day thing, but I finally went to the doctor for my wrist and arm pain and was sent to physical therapy.  While I may not be thrilled with all the stretches and exercises, I am absolutely loving the fact that my arms are hurting so much less!  Tendinitis does not heal fast, but it will heal if treated right, that's what I've learned :-)

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: October 19, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
I got approved for a personal loan that will pay off my CCs at only 10.98% interest. My cards were 20% and 25% interest so this will definitely help as more goes towards principal than that damn interest.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #370 on: October 19, 2015, 10:12:33 AM »
We got retirement orders!!!!!!!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #371 on: October 20, 2015, 08:43:31 PM »
Just got the OK from my boss for a Melbourne Cup party at work. Something to look forward to.

(And the Mustachian in me knows there will be leftovers looking for a home.)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: October 21, 2015, 11:23:10 PM »
Just finished Day 14 of the Whole30 -- feeling terrific!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #373 on: October 22, 2015, 07:42:03 AM »
Went to the supermarket, bought some cheese on sale. At the checkout I realize they're charging me full price, I point it out, and after a short discussion and 2 employées checking, I got full refund of my cheese, got to keep the cheese, AND I get a free one 'for the inconvenience'! Politely protesting for that 1.50$ really paid off :-D

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #374 on: October 22, 2015, 08:46:52 PM »
Made a joke with a friend.  I said, "Our friendship wouldn't be half as good without you in it."  We both thought it was (and still think it is) hilarious.  Nobody else gets it.  Engineer humor...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #375 on: October 23, 2015, 06:26:07 AM »
This amazing tuba riff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myNJceDodc0

Yes, 'amazing tuba riff' was just used unironically.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #376 on: October 23, 2015, 12:22:31 PM »
Leaves are turning, so the whole mountain is glowing in the sunlight. Oh, and enough of the leaves came down in the wind that I'm just beginning to see the outlines of the next ridge in the distance.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #377 on: October 23, 2015, 01:32:59 PM »
A co-participant in a meeting some weeks ago approached me yesterday to say that something I said immediately and easily resolved her childrens' lifelong sleep problem!! I was thrilled, for the kids and parents alike! It was also nice that someone believed me long enough to give one of my whacky strategies a go :)

Yo, now we want the trick! Do share!

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #378 on: October 23, 2015, 02:30:37 PM »
1) I finished 2-days at work refining a script so that each iteration of my Monte Carlo based analysis takes 7 minutes to run instead of 60. Expecting 3000 iterations to get the full view of my probabilities, that means 15 days to run instead of 125. Score.
2) Got rejected applying for a new job in a different dept at work. But, accepted a new job elsewhere today in that same dept. Expect a nice pay raise. Score.
3) Old boss called me up to ask if I could take on 5 new contracts with my consulting biz.  Score.
4) Ate pizza for lunch today. mmm

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #379 on: October 23, 2015, 02:37:04 PM »
Being -$1000 in VTIAX investment, but seeing our portfolio come back to almost ±0 today. Buy the dips people.

Oh, and free pizza.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: October 25, 2015, 04:56:46 PM »
Walking on a trail with the crisp, fall air swirling the leaves around me. Smelled so good!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #381 on: October 25, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
We bottled 44 bottles of homebrew mead today.  Half Chai Mead, the other half Berry Nice (mixed berry) Mead.  Our kitchen is a complete mess, but it smells amazing!

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #382 on: October 25, 2015, 07:13:39 PM »
Rode my bike today. Beautiful fall day on a greenway trail. Saw lots of other bicyclists - everyone was smiling.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #383 on: October 30, 2015, 08:38:16 AM »
Last week I lost a garnet ring that my DH gave me on the 4th anniversary of our first meeting. It was just silver and garnet, nothing really expensive, but I liked a lot and it was a dear present, so I was really sad about it, and I had a few anxious dreams about losing it.
Well yesterday I found it in the fifth pocket of the jeans that I was wearing the day I lost it! I was so happy I started dancing around the bedroom! Totally made my day!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: October 30, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
This video (a dancing spider): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_yYC5r8xMI   The original puppet show!

I prefer it without the music. I watched it alone first and was so delighted, especially at the opening when he dabs his little furry mitts up and down, ohmygoodnesssocute, and then a second time with my kid, the two of us laughing uproariously.

That was hilarious.  I did not know there was such a spider!

pompera_firpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #385 on: October 30, 2015, 11:37:28 AM »
About a month ago, my daughter chose a particular Ikea bed out of the catalog for her "big girl bed" that we'd be getting for her fifth birthday.  We proceeded to start saving up for it, and I set up some Craigslist alerts in case it could be found on the cheap.

Found one yesterday for FREE, as long as I could pick it up before 8 PM. Since we don't have a car, I put the word out in our neighborhood tribe that I needed someone to drive me on an adventure, and got two volunteers. Picked one and we had a madcap, Muppet-Movie-esque car trip (note: always bring more bungee cords than you think you need). It took three hours. The great thing is that not only do we now have a FREE bed in great shape (still need a mattress, but the bed itself would have been $200), but I got to spend three hours having a whale of a great time and bonding with our neighborhood friend.

The benefits of having a neighborhood tribe are AMAZING.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #386 on: November 01, 2015, 05:02:02 PM »
About a month ago, my daughter chose a particular Ikea bed out of the catalog for her "big girl bed" that we'd be getting for her fifth birthday.  We proceeded to start saving up for it, and I set up some Craigslist alerts in case it could be found on the cheap.

Found one yesterday for FREE, as long as I could pick it up before 8 PM. Since we don't have a car, I put the word out in our neighborhood tribe that I needed someone to drive me on an adventure, and got two volunteers. Picked one and we had a madcap, Muppet-Movie-esque car trip (note: always bring more bungee cords than you think you need). It took three hours. The great thing is that not only do we now have a FREE bed in great shape (still need a mattress, but the bed itself would have been $200), but I got to spend three hours having a whale of a great time and bonding with our neighborhood friend.

The benefits of having a neighborhood tribe are AMAZING.

That sounds like something right out of a movie! What a beautiful story. And awesome score on the free bed.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #387 on: November 02, 2015, 12:48:58 AM »

and I set up some Craigslist alerts in case it could be found on the cheap.

Yay on the bed! Thanks for telling me about Craigslist alerts, never heard of them.

pompera_firpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #388 on: November 02, 2015, 07:49:45 AM »
Yay on the bed! Thanks for telling me about Craigslist alerts, never heard of them.

Hooray! Craigslist alerts are AMAZING.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #389 on: November 02, 2015, 08:38:11 AM »
It will be a summery 75 today - in Iowa - in November! Fall colors plus summer temps!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #390 on: November 08, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »
Went to a house party last night (yay Newfoundland), and a klezmer jam broke out. At one point a visiting Turkish-jazz player sat in. I don't like jazz and I'm ambivalent about klezmer, but for a few minutes it turned into some of the most beautiful music I'd heard in ages. What made it sweeter is that the players were my colleagues and students and friends-of-friends.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #391 on: November 08, 2015, 03:13:23 PM »
+100000000000

Come join us on 42nd Parliament if you are feeling like politics.  ;-)

Canadian scientists have been given freedom of speech again :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: November 13, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »
Another quintessential Canadian answer:

Watching my boys play hockey this afternoon!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #393 on: November 14, 2015, 12:30:30 AM »
Walked to the local shops in a light drizzle, bought stamps for Christmas cards and some beautiful cuts of meat, and walked home.

We opened up the windows while the rain came down, I started writing Christmas cards and just chatted to my husband, who has been away all week.

So. Completely. Content.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #394 on: November 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM »
Just found Dick Proenneke who lived in the Alaska wilderness alone for 30 years in a cabin that he made. He says he found comfort in the simple things of life.

http://www.nps.gov/lacl/learn/historyculture/richard-l-proenneke.htm

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: November 19, 2015, 03:26:36 PM »
I've fallen behind on this thread but really enjoyed catching up on the past few months today :) So many people happy for such good reasons! (Though those of you with medical issues: I hope next year is better!!!)

In the past couple weeks, I've convinced bf to take dance lessons with me, so now he's making my week every Monday (and he LIKES it), I've also started decluttering our bedroom, inspired by some of the "small house" threads/stories.

But I think the biggest source of happiness lately was getting my US citizenship this week! It's been a loooooong journey of paperwork (though most of it was done for me while I was a kid, I still got a significant portion on my own shoulders...)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #396 on: November 19, 2015, 03:31:52 PM »
I've fallen behind on this thread but really enjoyed catching up on the past few months today :) So many people happy for such good reasons! (Though those of you with medical issues: I hope next year is better!!!)

In the past couple weeks, I've convinced bf to take dance lessons with me, so now he's making my week every Monday (and he LIKES it), I've also started decluttering our bedroom, inspired by some of the "small house" threads/stories.

But I think the biggest source of happiness lately was getting my US citizenship this week! It's been a loooooong journey of paperwork (though most of it was done for me while I was a kid, I still got a significant portion on my own shoulders...)

Congrats!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #397 on: November 19, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »

Congrats!
Thanks, Cookie!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: November 19, 2015, 10:38:30 PM »

Congrats, that's awesome!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #399 on: November 19, 2015, 10:39:34 PM »
It's Friday, and once I'm done with work today I have a lovely weekend ahead of me with plenty of rest, time with my gorgeous partner and even morning tea with awesome friends. What more could anyone want?