Author Topic: What made your day?  (Read 263937 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: What made your day?
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »
My $800 Appaloosa was wonderful at her first jumping show today.  We knocked one rail (my fault)  so didn't win, but had a great time despite getting soaked when the rain rolled in earlier than forecasted, then went for beers and pizza at our favorite place, which we don't frequent much now that we don't get over to this side of the valley as much. 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »
It's Pi day! 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2015, 05:37:30 PM »
The weather.
It's so nice out I want to get out the water barrels and garden hoses... but I know it's just another joke by Mother Nature and there is still more snow to come. I did take advantage of the warmth by finally building the steps to my deck extension today. The parts have been sitting in the garage all winter since it snowed just after I bought them.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2015, 08:56:15 PM »
Apple pie straight from the oven :-)  Also some good decluttering happened today and yesterday.

Happy Pi Day!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2015, 09:08:29 PM »
Great weather. Went to the C51 rally, nice long walk, 3 hours outside, getting to know a new friend.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2015, 09:34:54 PM »
Seeing my friend's daughter in Fiddler on the Roof.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2015, 09:54:11 PM »
Nephew's birthday party. Family, some interesting new people, and on a stormy day during a power outage. Light from the skylights and some candles, heat from the fireplace, and some music from a rechargeable speaker that I remembered to bring. Very cozy and nice.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2015, 12:20:08 AM »
Watching "Big Hero 6" (from the library, of course) with my kids and seeing my 17 year old crying, he was laughing so hard!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2015, 01:30:11 PM »
Pi day pie turned out really well Saturday, even though it took all day (we made a Pear Pie with Rosemary and Red Wine...it was a special Pi day after all! And we're at-home foodies.) :D

Pretty sure I unpacked my LAST box I intend to unpack from our move in August >_> It had office supplies and sentimental trinkets (gifts from friends & family, mainly).

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2015, 01:30:55 PM »
Mint's customer service told me a few weeks ago that they would never be able to connect to my HSA investment account because of how that company's website is set up, so I resigned myself to having to check two different sites to calculate my net worth (I know, life is hard). But today I logged into Mint and there it was! A tiny time-saving win.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »
Taking a deep breath outside in the sunshine!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2015, 06:16:01 AM »
I put the vet bill for a friend on my credit card. I expect she'll pay it back but it's a small enough amount and a good enough friend I'd be comfortable gifting it. For me it was such a small thing to do and for her it was a huge deal. She was so grateful and I was happy to be able to help.
Both our financial situations are somewhat luck related so I have no problem spreading my good luck around.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2015, 10:06:23 AM »
I put the vet bill for a friend on my credit card. I expect she'll pay it back but it's a small enough amount and a good enough friend I'd be comfortable gifting it. For me it was such a small thing to do and for her it was a huge deal. She was so grateful and I was happy to be able to help.
Both our financial situations are somewhat luck related so I have no problem spreading my good luck around.
This post made my morning. That's a wonderful thing to do. :)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2015, 06:25:46 PM »
Watched ducks on the pond. Had good discussions in my classes. Learned where to buy speculaas here in town.

The big one: I found out some of my old band's tunes have somehow become popular in the tougher barrios of Mexico City, so that songs I wrote decades ago are bringing some happy dancing time to people far away who have a rough life.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2015, 06:26:54 PM »
Making chocolate chip - craisin cookies with my 7 year old son. These days are fleeting, indeed!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »

GoldenGrove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2015, 06:18:59 PM »
This thread! Also: wonderful farmer's market this morning, getting on my bike today for the 6th day in a row, and absolutely glorious weather (sunny, 66F).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2015, 06:30:28 PM »
Watching my kids skate!

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2015, 06:48:25 PM »
My mom came over to help me bulk cook a bunch of healthy meals.  We talked about how we enjoy actually doing things -- like how she helped me and DH build a dog fence last fall, we all thought it was great fun to hang out outside all weekend and get some exercise.  I mentioned how on 'this personal finance forum I read on the internet' people complain about family members and friends who always insist on going out to eat or shopping as a way of socializing.  She agreed with me that our way is much better :) 

And she's coming back tomorrow!

Dmoneyzzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life's either a daring adventure or nothing at all
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »
One of my friends called so we could talk about the details of notes on Lending Club.  I thought it was pretty cool, didn't necessarily make my day but he made it a bit more interesting.  Thanks man.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2015, 10:35:45 AM »
Going to my friend's wedding on Sunday. :) Beautiful, fairly small affair (~50 people). While I've gotten used to my college friends getting married, it's strange to see someone you remember playing on the monkey bars with and having sleepovers with in a white dress taking her vows! But it's strange in a deeply touching, wonderful way. [/allthefeels]

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2015, 10:43:54 AM »
Leisurely 9 mile bike ride this morning before work! Nice sunny day, cool/crisp outside, no deadlines lurking once I did make it in.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2015, 04:57:12 PM »
Up much earlier than usual and got loads done before 10.  I love that feeling of accomplishment so early in the day.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2015, 11:09:37 PM »
Going to sleep on crisp white sheets that were line dried in the sun and breeze today!

anon-e-mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2015, 11:14:55 PM »
Planted strawberries and harvested radishes.

This is my first garden to actually produce something I could eat!
<mind blown>

The_Crustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2015, 01:10:07 AM »
getting away from my girlfriend's whining so i could go to the library to print off a rental application for an apartment in Minnesota.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2015, 05:59:07 AM »
Laying in bed with my wife listening to the year's first thunderstorm.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2015, 06:09:26 AM »
The spring peepers came out a few days ago!  One of my favorite signs of spring!

The_Crustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2015, 12:44:58 PM »
Laying in bed with my wife listening to the year's first thunderstorm.

I live in Milwaukee (riverwest) too, and I have to say, this thunderstorm at 5 am was less calming and more OMGSTFU IM TIRED.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2015, 01:30:47 PM »
Yesterday: meeting a guy in the gym parking lot with the same car I have (1st gen Honda Insight). He was super excited - "I haven't seen another one of these since I moved from California! Ooh, it's the CVT too, those are really rare! What mileage do you get?" - so we just talked about our cars for a little while. It was fun.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
Reading this thread.  The simplicity of what makes our days grand is beautiful to me.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: April 10, 2015, 11:49:27 AM »
Two pans of homemade buns in my oven. Smelled divine in here!

NYCWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: April 10, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »
1. Baked 2 fresh loaves of bread -- that smell of homemade goodness
2. Finished unpacking the LAST box from our move
3. Enjoying the peaceful solitude of my last day of a week-long vacation, curled up on the couch with a snuggle cat

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2015, 06:56:30 AM »
Using fantastically designed and built garden tools.

Investing $130 and 4 hours of my time to give us 650 square feet of rabbit proof garden space, unsure that the design would work, but having seedlings make it through multiple nights in a row now :)

Getting free water from the sky to keep my newly sowed carrot seeds nice and moist.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »
Not being stressed at work & being able to shop & do light cardio during lunch! I work in a mall.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »
My daffodils are blooming.

Also, it was warm enough out that I grilled out and we ate on the back deck, watching the hawks circle nearby.  DH even cracked open a bottle of super fancy wine!  (Okay, it was Arbor Mist, lol!)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2015, 08:44:59 AM »
My dog seems to be getting more healthy. No blood in stool for over a week now! (It's been an ongoing problem since December)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2015, 03:07:24 PM »
Kale, beets, spinach and peas emerging from garden soil!

Maybe I CAN do this!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2015, 08:11:16 PM »
A friend has won a writing competition :-) so excited for her. And proud that she's working hard to achieve her dream (on top of full time work, no less).

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2015, 08:36:05 PM »

Maybe I CAN do this!

Sounds great!
I hope you don't have bunnies or deer in your area, they can eat it all overnight.
What else are you going to plant?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »

Maybe I CAN do this!

Sounds great!
I hope you don't have bunnies or deer in your area, they can eat it all overnight.
What else are you going to plant?

My battles to keep the deer out of my garden are the stuff of LEGEND in my Journal. Check it out. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2015, 09:41:39 PM »
My $800 Appaloosa was wonderful at her first jumping show today.  We knocked one rail (my fault)  so didn't win, but had a great time despite getting soaked when the rain rolled in earlier than forecasted, then went for beers and pizza at our favorite place, which we don't frequent much now that we don't get over to this side of the valley as much.

Um, this phrasing did! I am laughing so hard with happiness at the imagining of you and your horse enjoying beers and pizza at your and the horse's favourite place!

OK, now I'm laughing.  The horse deserved some beers and pizza, but it was actually me and my husband enjoying them while she munched hay back at the barn!

Today - watching the awesomeness of a storm marching over the mountains.  Getting in a yoga session in the basement and feeling the tension drain from my muscles.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2015, 12:09:11 AM »
It makes me sad when I see this thread pop up and I don't have anything to add :-/

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2015, 09:44:13 AM »
The day is not over yet by any means, but a large portion of my investments (can you say ENERGY?) have EXPLODED higher today. And I'm looking at a 30k increase in my overall portfolio. Even though it's only "on paper" gains, the realization that my investiments are up in ONE DAY an amount more that what we spend in a year...stunning really.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2015, 12:11:47 PM »
Walking out the door, noticed my tomatoes came up today (hopping on that gardening-joy bandwagon, I think ;) ). Also, have plans to see a college friend for lunch; he's in for ~5 days from Korea!

It makes me sad when I see this thread pop up and I don't have anything to add :-/

I don't always have something worth adding, but I think it reminds me to find 3 things that are good or worth being grateful for. Yesterday, one of them was a warm shower (our water heater is out so I appreciated my shower at the gym much more than I usually appreciate any shower!) When a day is really *so* crummy (or I'm so crummy) that I can't find at least 3 things, I declare it time for ice cream and a foot soak (that's 2 right there!)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2015, 03:50:41 PM »
I saw a wild turkey taking a dust bath when I pulled into my driveway after work today.

Also, some of my seeds for my garden are sprouting nicely!  Which is way cool because they are all seeds for the 2013 and 2014 seasons that I got cheap or saved from last year.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2015, 05:39:30 PM »
Scared up seven deer from the driveway leaving this morning. Usually have some, but that was a record number.

Also the hummingbirds returned yesterday, or at least I saw them first yesterday.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2015, 09:14:06 PM »
Well, with the encouragement above (thank you!) I'd say that a few things that made my day were:

hanging laundry on the line and watching it blow in the FREE wind!

and

pulling 4 lovely loaves of whole wheat bread out of the oven!

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2015, 09:25:07 PM »
I finally dug the 25ft long, 18 inch deep, 8 inch wide trench from my diesel generator shed, to my house foundation. I'm installing a 1.5 inch pvc pipe, and pulling a permanent 50amp cable through it to go to my transfer switch. Then of course the trench gets filled back in.

I finally got tired of having to manually string a cable from the generator through the back doorway, and plug it into the transfer switch which is mounted above my service panel. Couldn't completely shut the door after that, and if having to do it in the winter it gets cold. Once I'm all finished, all I'll have to do for a power outage is crank up the generator, wait a few moments, then flip the switches over on the transfer switch.

I've been putting off doing all this for years, due to the work and mess it entails. My muscles are all screwed up tonight, but I'm glad I did it.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2015, 07:52:19 AM »
MikeBear - at least you didn't have to dig the trench in the winter as a character building exercise, then help your dad erect a canopy over it to keep a massive snowstorm from covering it all back in.

Took my second longest ride ever last night (36.5 miles), a simple out and back ride that got me to a trailhead I've never been to before. One section had so many frogs that it was LOUD even whizzing past on the bike.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!