Author Topic: What made your day?  (Read 263980 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: What made your day?
« Reply #900 on: February 09, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »
That DH finally could drive 5,5 hours in our car again all by himself. He hasn't been able to keep his leg in that position for a longer period of time, because of an injury. It looks like his injury has greatly improved since this spring.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #901 on: February 09, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »
I just got offered a promotion to Director and turned it down.  The pay rise was not life altering money for having to deal with more political BS in my public sector position.  I have had my turn around the management merry go round in the private sector, I be done with that.  Not to mention that my department has some long time running HR issues that previous Directors have not addressed. 

The Executive Director was surprised, but told me he understood when I explained that I didn't think my personality was a great match for internal politics and I, and my clients, are much better off having me out there doing the frontline work.  I am really good at my current job, the only time I am unhappy with it is when dealing with polital BS, which I am sheltered from when doing the actual value added work. 

He then went on to tell me that his next option is someone who isn't quite right for the job (our Director needs to be client facing), and to top it off, he is going to retire in 2-3 years so may not want to make such a big career switch.  I quietly sat there and giggled to myself....he has no clue of my life plans. 

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #902 on: February 09, 2018, 02:10:03 PM »
My three year old Delta kitchen faucet started leaking this morning... Called customer support, sent a few pics, and a new faucet is on the way! Went from $150 repair to free! I think I will be using delta faucets from now on!!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #903 on: February 10, 2018, 12:44:40 AM »
That DH finally could drive 5,5 hours in our car again all by himself. He hasn't been able to keep his leg in that position for a longer period of time, because of an injury. It looks like his injury has greatly improved since this spring.

Great news, @Linda_Norway.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #904 on: February 11, 2018, 12:12:46 AM »
My favourite running path takes me past the local fire brigade.

I ended up on that street this afternoon as the firies were finishing a training run, so I ran with them till they collapsed on the lawn outside the fire station and proceeded to bellow encouraging things at me. :D

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #905 on: February 11, 2018, 01:01:40 AM »
My favourite running path takes me past the local fire brigade.

I ended up on that street this afternoon as the firies were finishing a training run, so I ran with them till they collapsed on the lawn outside the fire station and proceeded to bellow encouraging things at me. :D

Did you hand in your CV as well?

I didn't know you had a thing for men in uniform hehehe >_<

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #906 on: February 15, 2018, 01:09:42 AM »
Had a great short run and hit a big NW milestone, both in the span of an hour.

@marty998 should make a living as a life coach. :D

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #907 on: February 15, 2018, 01:23:45 AM »
Precious baby-free time! Which I used to catch up on batch cooking.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #908 on: February 15, 2018, 02:31:17 AM »
Yesterday the surgeon said DH has healed up really well from a bad accident he had in the fall.  DH still has a few more months of PT in front of him, but things are looking great for a full recovery.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #909 on: February 15, 2018, 03:09:33 AM »

@mustachepungoeshere oh fuck lord no... I don't think I could do that at all!

Ok I might have texted "buy shares" several million times, but that is the extent of my coaching ability!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #910 on: February 15, 2018, 03:14:43 AM »

@mustachepungoeshere oh fuck lord no... I don't think I could do that at all!

Ok I might have texted "buy shares" several million times, but that is the extent of my coaching ability!

You don't give yourself nearly enough credit.

But ok, I'll just hog all your wisdom then. :P

Nancy

« Reply #911 on: February 15, 2018, 07:36:53 AM »
Yesterday, I was jazzed after my beautiful bike ride on a warmish sunny day. I basked in the sun for a few minutes before I went into work. When I left work, I realized that I had forgotten to lock my bike up. It was just leaning there on the rack on a busy urban street. How lucky am I? Thanks, universe!

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #912 on: February 15, 2018, 03:32:50 PM »
A student I work with gave me a small box of candy.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #913 on: February 15, 2018, 03:42:27 PM »
My three year old Delta kitchen faucet started leaking this morning... Called customer support, sent a few pics, and a new faucet is on the way! Went from $150 repair to free! I think I will be using delta faucets from now on!!!
They will do that even if it is in a house you purchase (i.e. you were not the direct faucet buyer). We use Delta in all our rentals for this very reason.

When I was dating DH, my mom asked him to look at the faucet in her new-ish house. It was a Delta, so DH knew what to do. Next trip, he installed the brand-new faucet that Delta had sent. He scored big points with his soon-to-be new MIL. It's the little things in life, lol!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #914 on: February 15, 2018, 03:45:36 PM »
Whoops! I forgot I came to post that what made our day is that our grandbaby and her mommy just flew in for a 6-day visit. Whoopee! We thought they were only coming for four days. Plus, she scored a heck of a deal on airfare. Crazy good deal. Love that girl!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:28:23 PM by Dicey »

Mrs. Rocker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Off Our Rocker RV
« Reply #915 on: February 15, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »
Met new friends today that share our love of travel and exploration. Being a nomad is great!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #916 on: February 16, 2018, 06:02:27 PM »
The dog we're dogsitting is WONDERFUL. I was getting gun shy about the whole endeavor- after a run of great dogs, I had some seriously crappy visits, and was considering dropping it as a side hustle. We're back to lovely dog visits though, which is both inspiring and good for my heart- I miss dog cuddles since our Old Miss Dog passed away.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #917 on: February 20, 2018, 03:04:38 AM »
It was my birthday yesterday. @mustachepungoeshere, ever the generous person that she is, got me cupcakes :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #918 on: February 20, 2018, 03:06:32 AM »
It was my birthday yesterday. @mustachepungoeshere, ever the generous person that she is, got me cupcakes :)

You’re sweet. :)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #919 on: February 20, 2018, 03:49:34 AM »
Forum friends practising possible new pronouns for me <3

You’re sweet. :)

Nawww. Also, happy birthday!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #920 on: February 20, 2018, 03:54:20 AM »
Happy birthday @marty998 !

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #921 on: February 20, 2018, 09:36:51 AM »
Progress on a engine replacement in the family car with the help of my son yesterday. FINALLY had time off, decent weather and son was available. Still more hours of work ahead but progress feels good. Organized some of the garage afterwards.

Also found a tree service to take down some tall trees for a reasonable price. One has rot at the base, the other two are huge and could come down on the house in a storm. Plenty of other trees remain. We love our trees - shade, privacy and all that. Hate to remove any at all.

We took another load of random stuff to Goodwill over the weekend. The "purge" continues. ;)

The house really got cluttered along the way. Sort of snuck up on us over the years.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #922 on: February 20, 2018, 06:22:05 PM »
Taught drawing outside today. Feb FL.. so nice!

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #923 on: February 23, 2018, 10:05:41 PM »
Was able to ride my bike to work today for the first time since early December (natural disasters and ensuing chaotic work schedule since then put the kibosh on that for a while).

It was a gorgeous day, a bit chilly but bright and clear and really lovely. The pink jasmine is blooming and it smells wonderful.

Happy family dinner, now curled up in my reading chair with tea and a cookie, about to indulge in my nightly reading.

So content.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #924 on: February 24, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »
The forecasted rain today held off, and I was able to work outside in my garden and orchard.  It was spring-warm and beautiful.  Going to bed tired after working outside all day at something you love = heaven.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #925 on: February 27, 2018, 10:20:54 AM »
Had a layover between ferry and flight in St Lucia and had about 4 hours to kill. Went to the beach to hang out, discovered kite surfing place, jumped at the chance to do the 'last' lesson I missed out on at the Cook Islands due to the wind dropping. Made for a VERY fun layover. Downside was that my sunscreen was not waterproof in the slightest, but I still don't regret it one bit!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #926 on: February 27, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »
That's it, Cookie78 wins. Thread over.  ;)

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #927 on: February 27, 2018, 02:13:49 PM »
I have spent this work day handing out annual raises and bonuses and everyone is happy (so far, I saved the Eeyore for last). 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #928 on: February 27, 2018, 11:47:36 PM »
Found out that I lost 1,5 kg (3 pounds) after a week of skiing several hours a day. That explains why I'm so hungry all the time this week.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #929 on: February 28, 2018, 03:55:46 AM »
Found out that I lost 1,5 kg (3 pounds) after a week of skiing several hours a day. That explains why I'm so hungry all the time this week.

So awesome Linda!  Cross country skiing for a week is my idea of absolute heaven -- my favorite thing to do on earth.  And the fitness/weight loss is of course an added bonus.  :)   

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #930 on: February 28, 2018, 05:21:53 PM »
Came home with a bag of perfectly ripened white peaches from a tree growing wild up a country road nearby. Ive been visiting this tree in early March for years. No one else ever seems to gather them.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #931 on: February 28, 2018, 10:24:05 PM »
Had a win at work, and got a really sweet message from a friend that put a smile on my face all day.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #932 on: March 01, 2018, 03:23:19 AM »
Came home with a bag of perfectly ripened white peaches from a tree growing wild up a country road nearby. Ive been visiting this tree in early March for years. No one else ever seems to gather them.

I know an old apple tree like this, kei te pai.  It is growing next to a grocery store near my work, and no one cares for it or even gathers its fruit.  Yesterday after work I did a little "guerilla gardening":  I took a few clippings of one year old wood from it, and I am going to try bench-grafting it to young rootstock.  I love that tree.  I would pick it up and take it home if I could.  Next best thing is to try to help it have some children in my orchard.  :)   

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #933 on: March 02, 2018, 01:10:13 AM »
Best wishes for your apple babies Trifele!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #934 on: March 03, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »
DH is down 120 pounds, he's now below the weight limit on all the slides at the indoor water park.  We spent a lovely day there last week and *I* couldn't keep up with HIM!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #935 on: March 03, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
Been walking a lot in husband's grad school city, and it's paying off. Hiked up our mountain once and took a rest partway up, but it was optional, not a mandatory, muscles shaking to point continuing was unsafe thing. Was thrilled about that already, but then I went back down to take him a drink and then hiked all the way back up again without stopping.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #936 on: March 03, 2018, 04:09:18 PM »
I've been sick for almost 2 months. Flu then bronchitis.  Better for a while. Then got hit hard again this week with a cold.  Think I'm just run down so getting sick with everything.  DH spent the day taking care of me, cooking, cleaning the house, walking the dog.  All so that I can rest.  He's a keeper.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #937 on: March 04, 2018, 01:03:31 AM »
Feel better soon, @BeautifulDay.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #938 on: March 04, 2018, 02:03:33 AM »
Best wishes for your apple babies Trifele!

Thanks @kei te pai !  The scion wood is sleeping in the fridge right now.  The rootstocks arrive next week, and we will graft immediately.   We should know by the beginning of April or so if it worked.  If it works, that will make my whole year. :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #939 on: March 04, 2018, 11:40:34 AM »
Norwegian speed skater won world championships sprint. It has been a long time since Norway has won a world championship in skating.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #940 on: March 05, 2018, 02:25:51 AM »
Autumn has officially arrived in Sydney but the AC in my building is still set like it's the middle of summer.

I froze last week even with the pashmina I keep in my desk, so today I took a blanket as well.

Boss: Gorgeous scarf!
Me: It's a blanket. Ikea. $6! :D
Boss: No!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #941 on: March 05, 2018, 03:43:12 PM »
Bike commuted home from work for the first time this year. So nice to be back on the bike!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #942 on: March 06, 2018, 09:29:35 AM »
We are done with a case about our house against the previous owner about humidity in the cellar. Today we had a meeting with people who are an instans you need to go to before court. Those people were not at all interested in deciding who was right and wrong. They just had as a goal to let both parties come to some financial agreement so you can skip going to court.

We got almost 75% of our claim, with is the price to hire someone to repair the damage. Yes, it hurts that we don't get 100% of what is caused by the previous owner who didn't inform us about doing it himself. But at least now we are finished with the case against him. Now we just need to decide what we are going to do with the humidity. We might be doing much more of the work ourselves. It includes taking apart a large part of the wooden deck, removing a load of heavy rocks (digging machine), changing plastic against the wall, putting smaller gravel in place, replacing a wooden plate with a stone wall, and rebuilding the terrace, bringing away some of the big rocks.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #943 on: March 09, 2018, 10:31:50 PM »
A lunch date with my husband and baby at a little bakery / cafe. We don't do that sort of thing often enough!

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #944 on: March 11, 2018, 08:04:46 AM »
A lunch date with my husband and baby at a little bakery / cafe. We don't do that sort of thing often enough!

This is an awesome boost to a day.

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #945 on: March 14, 2018, 04:04:14 AM »
This actually happened yesterday. But it still made my day.
The supermarket had a 50% discount on organic pumpkins. I bought 6 :D.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #946 on: March 14, 2018, 04:46:31 AM »

Six!

Are we talking butternut or are we talking Queensland blue? :D

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #947 on: March 14, 2018, 07:06:46 AM »

Six!

We are talking about Hokkaido.

Yes, six. It was awesome.

I'm planning to make my pumpkin pie for the first time ever this weekend and to look for other pumpkin recipes.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #948 on: March 15, 2018, 02:20:55 AM »

Six!

We are talking about Hokkaido.

Yes, six. It was awesome.

I'm planning to make my pumpkin pie for the first time ever this weekend and to look for other pumpkin recipes.

There is a nice Dutch podcast about spending your whole monthly income on a food that easily expires. We have it on a DVD. I hope you can play this somehow:

https://soundcloud.com/dirque/01-aubergine-hans-teeuwen

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #949 on: March 15, 2018, 02:31:20 AM »
This is for yesterday, not today: using my new scooter and loving every second of it. Freedom!!! (well, as much as I'm able to have with my various physical limitations)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!