Author Topic: What made your day?  (Read 263955 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What made your day?
« Reply #550 on: September 08, 2016, 12:28:58 AM »
Getting everything done on my to-do list!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #551 on: October 01, 2016, 03:31:01 AM »
A gift of fertiliser for my fruit trees. I love it when someone knows me well enough to give me exactly what I need.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #552 on: October 03, 2016, 07:22:24 AM »
A gift of fertiliser for my fruit trees. I love it when someone knows me well enough to give me exactly what I need.

I love this post.  Few people take a flaming paper bag of poop on their doorstep as something to be grateful for.  :P

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #553 on: October 03, 2016, 06:39:20 PM »

I love this post.  Few people take a flaming paper bag of poop on their doorstep as something to be grateful for.  :P

I laughed! Well done.

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #554 on: October 03, 2016, 10:07:43 PM »
Sliding down a waterside over and over with my four year old son. It took me back to summer holidays with my brothers when I was a teenager.

And later ... at the supermarket queue, I asked him to go and get me two apples. He ran back cuddling two BAGS of apples, beaming ... oh well, we'll use them somehow.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #555 on: October 03, 2016, 10:13:54 PM »
Went to the dentist today -- teeth are all in great shape, and the hygienist gave me extra samples of toothpaste and toothbrushes because she knows I appreciate them every time :-)

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #556 on: October 05, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #557 on: October 09, 2016, 01:16:57 AM »
$6 tickets to a college football game.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #558 on: October 09, 2016, 01:41:43 AM »

This literally made my day. :D Thank you!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #559 on: October 09, 2016, 04:21:31 AM »
Had four sets of neighbours over for a cuppa; lots of small children running around happily, good conversation and I was only asked three times if I'm pregnant. Once by a small child who looked at my chubby belly VERY suspiciously when I said no :-P

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #560 on: October 09, 2016, 07:19:38 AM »
Yesterday was Community Service Day in my city. One day, fifty projects, fifteen hundred volunteerrs, ten months of planning. Completely awesome to see people working together for the common good. So much accomplished in just one morning. Best part? Because I am FIRE,  I was able to be the co-chair of the event this year. That made more than just my day, but man, what a day!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #561 on: October 09, 2016, 01:41:36 PM »
Yesterday was Community Service Day in my city. One day, fifty projects, fifteen hundred volunteerrs, ten months of planning. Completely awesome to see people working together for the common good. So much accomplished in just one morning. Best part? Because I am FIRE,  I was able to be the co-chair of the event this year. That made more than just my day, but man, what a day!

Isn't that exciting! Good for you.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #562 on: November 04, 2016, 05:25:28 AM »
marty998 gave me a plant for my birthday. I've had custody of our plant for almost a week, and every morning I smile when I walk into the lounge room and see greenery.

It has made my week. :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #563 on: November 04, 2016, 05:30:53 AM »
A blueberry on one of my bushes is turning blue! It'll be the first harvest of the season.

marty998 gave me a plant for my birthday. I've had custody of our plant for almost a week, and every morning I smile when I walk into the lounge room and see greenery.

Aw! :-)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #564 on: November 04, 2016, 07:13:19 PM »
I looked out the window during mid morning caffeine infusion and I saw chickadees, cardinals,  doves, a blue jay, several squirrels and a chipmunk all feeding in the front garden I have been cultivating for attracting wildlife.  It is so rewarding to have all these making themselves at home.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #565 on: November 04, 2016, 11:31:42 PM »
I went to a dance tonight and one of my favorite dance partners (who doesn't usually go to this event) was there. :D

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #566 on: November 05, 2016, 07:02:17 AM »

You are most welcome. My efforts in the 3 weeks before to keep it alive and green have paid off! It even grew another leaf for good measure.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #567 on: November 05, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
Today we sold not one, not two, but three trucks that no longer run. Money in our pockets, the trucks will be rehabbed and put to good use again, and the woods around the house are nearly dead vehicle-free! Plus the buyer brought three (much younger than us) friends and hauled them all down off this mountain without us having to do more than help direct things.

The only (not serious) downside is I'm no longer in the running at all for oldest Mustachian vehicle - one of them was our '71 Dodge Power Wagon. But I think I was out once it quit running, anyway. The '81 Tercel (which does run) is now our resident antique.

$2,500 for all three , so not what we had in them, but then we got long years of use out of them all. We did, however, have under 10k in all of them put together (purchase price, not counting DIY maintenance and repairs), and we'd had the Dodge for over 20 years and ran it for more than half that, and one of the others for more than 10, ran it for about 8.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #568 on: November 05, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »
The Facebook group I got added to called Pantsuit Nation has been making my day all day.  Too much internet time but I can't stay away because it makes me so happy!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #569 on: November 06, 2016, 12:05:50 AM »
The Facebook group I got added to called Pantsuit Nation has been making my day all day.  Too much internet time but I can't stay away because it makes me so happy!

What on earth...?

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #570 on: November 06, 2016, 08:09:52 PM »
Got into Chicago early today and decided to head to Wrigleyville and see all the commotion. I don't think everyone really believes it happened. There were probably a couple thousand people milling around outside the stadium and they were all so happy.

Lots of people had brought chalk so they could write their names or a celebratory message on the brick facade of the stadium. Some had written the names of relatives that had been Cubs fans but passed away having never seen them win the title. Large crowds taking pictures in front of the famous Wrigley Field sign. Many taking pictures of the EAMUS CATULI! sign with all zeroes for the first time.

The Cubs aren't my team, but it was really great to see how happy everyone was and how much it meant to Cubs fans and the city of Chicago to win the Series.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #571 on: November 06, 2016, 09:49:05 PM »
This just happened:
Husband: Honey, our property taxes are due.
Me: How much do we owe?
Husband: $23,600*
Me: Do we have it?
Husband: Yes
Me: Okay

*This is for our house and three rentals, so not quite as insane as it might seem, but OMG! My first career job paid $13k per year. A very long time ago.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #572 on: November 07, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »
My 12 year old daughter said to me this morning: "I want to be like Mr. Money Mustache ".  I have no idea if she understands exactly MMM actually is.  But felt a burst of happiness that she has picked up a positive vibe that she wishes to emulate.  She is an environmentalist but not very frugal about savings yet.  What a kid I have...

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #573 on: November 07, 2016, 09:27:06 AM »
My microwave started sparking quite spectacularly.  My first thought was "Time to get a new one".  Then my MMM muscles kicked in and I googled it to find all I needed to do was scrape the singed marks off that little grey cover thingy on the inside.  So far so good!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #574 on: November 07, 2016, 11:35:35 AM »
A hummingbird showed up at my feeder for the first time today! Also transplanted my avocado tree (sprouted from a seed cast off and is now ~4 feet tall) and pomegranate bush...can't wait for fruit :)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #575 on: November 08, 2016, 06:22:27 PM »

What on earth...?

It's about our presidential election.  You know, the US has never had a female leader.  We're a little behind on that whole "equality" thing.  And Hillary Clinton, democratic nominee, is known for her pant suits. Which in the past were a bit of a feminist statement because women weren't supposed to wear pants. So anyway, this Facebook group is a place where people post their stories about why they are voting for Hillary and share their excitement over voting for our first female president, etc. etc. etc.  It's a very positive group, full of support for each other and love, amazingly, as it has over a million members. It's really kind of a movement.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/06/politics/pantsuit-nation-trnd/index.html

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #576 on: November 08, 2016, 07:00:29 PM »
A beautiful day today. I was able to leave my windows open for 9 hours! Unheard of for November. Went for two walks and a run.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #577 on: November 08, 2016, 10:32:35 PM »

What on earth...?

It's about our presidential election.  You know, the US has never had a female leader.  We're a little behind on that whole "equality" thing.  And Hillary Clinton, democratic nominee, is known for her pant suits. Which in the past were a bit of a feminist statement because women weren't supposed to wear pants. So anyway, this Facebook group is a place where people post their stories about why they are voting for Hillary and share their excitement over voting for our first female president, etc. etc. etc.  It's a very positive group, full of support for each other and love, amazingly, as it has over a million members. It's really kind of a movement.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/06/politics/pantsuit-nation-trnd/index.html

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm aware of the cultural significance of the pantsuit, I just thought the FB group sounded like a pisstake so glad to hear it's not.

(I was going to say the power of the pantsuit, but it's just not powerful enough apparently...)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #578 on: November 09, 2016, 01:24:52 AM »
What made my day?  Not this election.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #579 on: November 09, 2016, 01:28:27 AM »
What made my day?  Not this election.
AmenAmenAmen.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #580 on: November 09, 2016, 01:52:04 AM »
This election.
I am SO relieved. I'm actually amazed how stressed I was thinking Clinton would be president. Now I'm hoping Trump can pull it together and be a decent leader.

I hope this hope and change thing works out for you.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #581 on: November 09, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
Paying off a small medical debt after working my tail off. Bought a pack of Kaladesh to treat myself. Pulled a "Chandra, Torch of Defiance".

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/kaladesh/chandra-torch-of-defiance

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #582 on: November 09, 2016, 10:46:00 AM »
The election is over.....and the rumors at my kids HS over the results fighting are actually just rumors.

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #583 on: November 09, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
This election.
I am SO relieved. I'm actually amazed how stressed I was thinking Clinton would be president. Now I'm hoping Trump can pull it together and be a decent leader.

I second this

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #584 on: December 06, 2016, 02:04:18 PM »
Bf and I have had some very good money conversations the past couple days. I admire what he's accomplished the past few years and we are on the same page about our next-few-years goals. Feels good :)

He's even started reading some MMM while researching investment options. (I pushed too hard when I first discovered it and I think created some aversion so I backed off b/c our relationship is worth much more than MMM to me ;) )

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #585 on: December 06, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »
This election.

It's amazing how much stress one can carry around without realizing it.  Glad you feel better
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:06:38 AM by Metric Mouse »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #586 on: December 07, 2016, 06:44:27 PM »
I mentioned to DH last month that I'd like to donate to a charity because we don't do that very often, he got a bug up his butt about toys for tots and today went out after work to buy 2 bikes :-)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #587 on: December 08, 2016, 09:35:21 AM »

DW loves this group and tells me about them almost daily.

My day was made by replacing the dryer vent and my teenager helping me. The best part was watching at how capable he is of just doing what needs to be done.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #588 on: December 08, 2016, 11:58:23 AM »
Cup of Earl Grey tea is making my day atm

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #589 on: December 08, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »
A DVD set I ordered on Interlibrary Loan on Sunday has come in!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #590 on: December 09, 2016, 11:56:59 AM »
Received a care package fom the in-laws, no fancy salt this time but a real Sant James pull for me, one of those buy-it-for-10-years things I've been lusting after since a few years... I'm pretty impressed with my MIL gifting skills!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #591 on: December 09, 2016, 03:10:40 PM »
My favorite advisee hit all her deadlines yesterday and will graduate next week. Then, after catching up on sleep, today she came by my office to talk about the paper we're writing together.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:02:29 PM by Rural »

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #592 on: December 09, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »
Getting to stay home with my kids all day thanks to "snow."

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #593 on: December 09, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
Living in a very small village.

Doctor in the city couldn't see me before she leaves on holidays until sometime in January. I made an appointment with one of the local doctors to renew the prescription I needed.  He could see me in less than two hours.

Walked across my backyard in my snow boots, and between two buildings to the doctors' office. It took less than 5 minutes to get there. He saw me early.

Took the prescription next door to the pharmacy. He told me it would take 15 minutes. It took 5, including a call to the insurance company.

Went to the post office 3 doors away and picked up my week's mail, including Black Friday purchase from Landsend.

Went to the local bistro for lunch, next door to the post office. Was sitting with a menu 8 minutes after the time the doctor's appointment was scheduled for and 33 minutes after I left the back door of my house.

It was really cold (-22 F, -30 C), but I was really never out long enough to feel it. Never had to get in the cold, cold car.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #594 on: December 10, 2016, 08:06:22 PM »
Riding my bike today and an ocelot ran in front of me.

<edited to add: I was in southern Texas when this happened, not eastern Canada!>
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:57:45 PM by Gerard »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #595 on: December 10, 2016, 08:23:45 PM »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #596 on: December 11, 2016, 08:31:28 AM »
Puttin up Christmas lights. The house still isn't a beacon or destination, but it starting to look respectable.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #597 on: December 11, 2016, 12:09:40 PM »
This is a couple days late, but...Got a Christmas card from someone I met last summer, who I was sure had forgotten all about me.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #598 on: December 12, 2016, 08:04:49 AM »
A friend offered to make us a custom oil painting as our wedding present. I can't believe she wants to do that for us - they take months of work. So now I feel special. :)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #599 on: December 15, 2016, 03:30:02 PM »
I received the salt grinder I was lusting after... and then my cryptomustachian we-don't-need-no-salt-grinder husband ask me to fill it up right away because he missed having one. Double win!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!