Author Topic: What Happens When You Delete a Post?  (Read 4317 times)

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
What Happens When You Delete a Post?
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:59:04 PM »
Let us see...

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Re: What Happens When You Delete a Post?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 01:00:23 PM »
Good luck!

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »
Let us see...

Okay, here is what happens.

You get an error message telling you you cannot remove the first post in a thread.  You have to ask a moderator to do it.

However, removing replies to the original post are snap-bang.

Now... what happens if you try to remove a reply that has been replied to?

Let us see...

Well, let us see now.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »
Let us see...

Okay, here is what happens.

You get an error message telling you you cannot remove the first post in a thread.  You have to ask a moderator to do it.

However, removing replies to the original post are snap-bang.

Now... what happens if you try to remove a reply that has been replied to?

Let us see...

Well, let us see now.

That works fine too.  As we can see from above, nothing was lost.

Okay... end of test.  We now return you to regular blog operations. :O

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »
Please try not to delete posts people. It disrupts the natural order. Many times I've gone back to look for something I've posted and people deleted entire threads.

I've also been in threads and things were very confusing because of a deleted post. Don't post if you don't plan to leave it up.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »
Please try not to delete posts people. It disrupts the natural order. Many times I've gone back to look for something I've posted and people deleted entire threads.

I've also been in threads and things were very confusing because of a deleted post. Don't post if you don't plan to leave it up.

That's why I quote everything now.  At one point I didn't, because I thought it made the thread too messy, but people started deleting posts and now.... everything gets quoted. 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »

That's why I quote everything now.  At one point I didn't, because I thought it made the thread too messy, but people started deleting posts and now.... everything gets quoted.

Yeah. Always quote whoever you're responding to. Bonus points if you can get a quote-within-a-quote.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »

Yeah. Always quote whoever you're responding to. Bonus points if you can get a quote-within-a-quote.

What like this?

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 06:11:16 PM »
I'd hate to recommend something that derails conversations, takes away others' post counts, and disrupts the natural order, but it's worked for me.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »

What like this?

Well S.O.B. I think I just deleted a post tonight for the first time ever. Someone asked me a question on another thread, but I didn't understand the question. So I quoted them (since dragoncar demanded it) and responded saying I didn't understand. Then they sent me a PM saying they confused me with someone else and they deleted their post. Now their missing post is quoted inside my post and the continuity is gone. I didn't want everyone else confused, so I edited the post and basically removed it.

Dammit, I broke my own rule 1 day after posting it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 11:31:12 PM »

What like this?

Well S.O.B. I think I just deleted a post tonight for the first time ever. Someone asked me a question on another thread, but I didn't understand the question. So I quoted them (since dragoncar demanded it) and responded saying I didn't understand. Then they sent me a PM saying they confused me with someone else and they deleted their post. Now their missing post is quoted inside my post and the continuity is gone. I didn't want everyone else confused, so I edited the post and basically removed it.

Dammit, I broke my own rule 1 day after posting it.

I do delete post sometimes.  I give myself like a 1-minute window if I said something stupid or confused, and only if nobody already quoted me.