Author Topic: What do you believe about climate change?  (Read 63308 times)

synonym

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What do you believe about climate change?
« Reply #300 on: September 17, 2015, 03:44:43 PM »
So I was trying to think of a different way to explain what I'm talking about.

You know that picture that always accompanies the latest "global warming" news piece.  You know, the one where the polar bear is looking forlornly at the water while his iceberg melts away.  Or the video of the "ice shelf collapsing" where a huge chunk of ice falls into the water?

These things are not science.  And the scientists are not condemning them for what they are. 

Icebergs are nothing new.  *ahem* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic

Ice shelves receding in the summertime is nothing new.

Polar bears were always on the icebergs hunting penguins (that's a softball, hoping someone takes the bait).

These are blatantly misleading media images being used to manipulate the conversation.  And people know when they are being manipulated.  As the data is on your side, you don't need to do this.  But it's done anyway, because it isn't about science, it's about an agenda.

And if anyone tries to point out the manipulation, they're a denier.

That is, in my opinion, where the problem is.

This is a nice summary of my thoughts as well.

This kind of media simplification plays to our need for 'Story' as a way of understanding the world, when clearly its all a lot more complex. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie-to-children

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: September 17, 2015, 04:00:28 PM »
This kind of media simplification plays to our need for 'Story' as a way of understanding the world, when clearly its all a lot more complex. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie-to-children

Yes, but the 'lie-to-children' thing contributes to the distrust.  It's counterproductive, and I'm not sure it's actually intentional most of the time.  It seems to me that it's difficult for a reporter to understand the subject within the time frame of an interview (if ever) and it's not the scientist that decides what happens in the editing room.  That's the kind of thing that leads to the images of a polar bear cub on an iceburg being used in the same article/news clip talking about global warming.  It tugs at the emotional side of the brain, while the rational side of the brain revolts (at the time, or later once the data is exposed) that polar bears are not only not dying out, but seem to be adapting nicely to global warming.  (They don't mind a little warmer weather, after all, since their food is more abundant as a result.  Captive polar bears in zoos do just fine in 65 degree water.)

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #302 on: September 17, 2015, 04:25:55 PM »
It's much easier to attack the establishment and raise your hands and say you're not anti-science, just questioning the credibility of the source than it is to outright go after the science which can be determined by facts.

That's probably to be expected if you're argung from a predetermined position. 

If you start with the opinion "we should continue to burn as much carbon as possible as fast as possible" then it makes sense to first attack the data, then if that fails attack the analysis of the data, then if that fails attack the people conducting the analysis of the data, then if that fails attack the implications and predictions of the people doing the analysis of the data, then if that fails attack the proposed solutions to the implications and predictions of the people doing the analysis of the data.  If you start with a particular answer in mind, it's easy to criticize a process designed to find the right answer when the right answer isn't your predetermined answer.

Having beliefs is a fundamental human right.  But it's also a fundamental human trait to quest for knowledge and truth.  We have internal conflicts when that truth conflicts with our existing beliefs, but the right way to resolve that conflict is to update your beliefs, not to deny truths in order to preserve the beliefs. 

Humans are really good at this process over long time scales, but it has always been a challenge within individual human lifetimes.  My grandfather died believing black people were biologically doomed to be intellectually inferior, and he never saw the irony in his beliefs about intellect betraying his own intellectual shortcomings.  Climate change denialism suffers from the analogous problem of hyperfocusing on scientific discrepancies to the detriment of scientific understanding.  If you really believe in finding the right answer, it is out there for you to see as soon as you are ready.  If preserving your predetermined answer is more important to you than learning and growing and finding the truth, then no amount if science will ever sway your opinion. 

That's the whole point of faith, it adheres blindly to existing beliefs even in the face of all contrary evidence, because it doesn't want the truth.

Can you see that you are also doing exactly what you accuse others of doing?

There have been several scientific links posted, and you have dismissed every single one of them. You have blamed big oil and the Koch brothers for all the evil in the world while ignoring Big Government and Big Green who have spent far more money. You seem completely oblivious to their agenda even though it's plainly obvious.

purple monkey

• Bristles
« Reply #303 on: September 17, 2015, 04:27:18 PM »
I am a half century aged person and can say that the extreme temperatures in all the cities I have lived in continue.

I definitely believe that climate change is happening in a big way.

TIA

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2015, 05:04:54 PM »
It's much easier to attack the establishment and raise your hands and say you're not anti-science, just questioning the credibility of the source than it is to outright go after the science which can be determined by facts.

I'm not attacking the credibility of the sources.  I'm just the observer of the fight.  You know it's true, but you still can't get your head wrapped around it.  The data isn't on your side, because data isn't on any side!  The facts don't support any particular policy.  Feel free to go back to my second post in this thread, and tell me what about what I stated was factually incorrect.  I never started this thread to come to any policy conclusions.  That would have been idiotic on any forum, but particularly on forum devoted to an early retirement strategy.  I started this thread because I was (mostly) trying to get a "feel" for how this forum "leaned", and the topic quickly got away from me.  You guys took it where it is, I had no control over where the thread wandered.

You wanted to talk about public perception rather than the science. You may be the one throwing your hands up to see where everyone else leans and then claim that data isn't on any side, but you brought up the idea of people attacking the perception rather than people discussing the facts. I think that's right in line with what you're saying. I didn't even mention policy, I stated that people go after the establishment and the perception of that establishment. That's right in line with what you're saying and with your general topic that you wanted started.

As I said it's way easier for people to do so, the harder part is when people try to rise above that shit and discuss actual facts, then use those facts for deciding what's best for the future. That's as far towards the policy side that you so apparently don't want covered or talked about (seriously have you participated in open forums much, this is how it goes, you don't get to dictate the conversation but work with it).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2015, 05:16:31 PM »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2015, 05:17:51 PM »
Can you see that you are also doing exactly what you accuse others of doing?

No, I can't.  I didn't come to this issue with any predetermined opinion. I came to it with a desire to see the facts and draw my own conclusions, and I have changed my views multiple times in response to new facts.  That's how science works.  You should try it.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: September 17, 2015, 05:28:07 PM »
<sigh>

If I could lock my own thread, I would.

EDIT: Wait, it looks like I can.