Author Topic: What are your favorite board games?  (Read 75015 times)

birdman2003

• Bristles
Re: What are your favorite board games?
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2015, 10:30:57 AM »
Pandemic
Power Grid
Acquire > > > favorite
Catan (straight up Catan or the 5-6 player expansion. don't like the add on packs)
7 Wonders
Battleship (as long as your older brother doesn't cheat and move his ships around mid-game)
Monopoly (as long as your older brother doesn't cheat and steal $500 bills from the bank)

Card Games:
Canasta Caliente, Rook, 10 point Pitch, Up and Down the River (with lots of people)

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2015, 12:36:09 PM »
Good for 2: Netrunner, Mage Wars, Twilight Struggle, Catacombs
Good for 3+: Acquire, Dixit, King of New York, Tumblin' Dice, Thunderstone, Blokus, Settlers - Star Trek edition (with cool character properties!)
Party games: The Resistance (or The Resistance Avalon), Time's Up

(some of these cross over, I know, but it seemed easier to organize them into these 3 groups)

Keeps us pretty entertained :)

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »

Good for 2: Netrunner, Mage Wars, Twilight Struggle, Catacombs
Good for 3+: Acquire, Dixit, King of New York, Tumblin' Dice, Thunderstone, Blokus, Settlers - Star Trek edition (with cool character properties!)
Party games: The Resistance (or The Resistance Avalon), Time's Up

(some of these cross over, I know, but it seemed easier to organize them into these 3 groups)

Keeps us pretty entertained :)

Thanks for the 2 player suggestions. We've tried Twilight Struggle but haven't come up the learning curve yet, so it's not super fun yet.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2015, 12:04:02 PM »
Thanks for the 2 player suggestions. We've tried Twilight Struggle but haven't come up the learning curve yet, so it's not super fun yet.

Watch out, Netrunner has a crazy learning curve but has SO much replayability.

Some two player games with smaller curves but are still fun: Stratego, Mr. Jack Pocket, and Thunderstone are good ones. Catacombs (3rd edition) is my current fav dexterity game and plays as well with 2 players as 5 players.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »

Watch out, Netrunner has a crazy learning curve but has SO much replayability.

Some two player games with smaller curves but are still fun: Stratego, Mr. Jack Pocket, and Thunderstone are good ones. Catacombs (3rd edition) is my current fav dexterity game and plays as well with 2 players as 5 players.

Probably these have been mentioned in this thread before, but other good 2 player games:
- Lost Cities
- Splendor (can go up to 5...?)
- Battle Line (learning curve isn't bad, but can take a lot of brainpower)
- Star Realms

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2015, 12:35:24 PM »
For those who asked about purchasing games in the US: as has been mentioned above, Toys R Us has a big sale a few times a year. Usually at the same time, the Sunday paper has inserts with good coupons on the games that are on sale. If you check the manufacturer websites, you may also see rebates. When all these stars align, you can get games very inexpensively. Check websites like Money Saving Mom - they give all the details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

imaprogrammer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2015, 11:30:47 AM »
Agricola
Caverna
Ora et Labora
Power Grid
Eclipse
Dominion
Star Wars Imperial Assault

Just picked up Android Netrunner

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2016, 02:06:23 PM »

I don't lose at Settlers.

That's a bold statement. If you're ever in Fort Worth I'd be happy to prove it wrong.

Has anyone else played Splendor?

Relic is a lot of fun if you have 3-4 hours to kill. Very chance based.

Jappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2016, 07:12:32 AM »

Yes! Very good and quite quick game. Only played it with 2 so far though. It's one of those games everyone I've played it with wants to have a go at it again.

Another great game for 2 is patchwork. Also quick, quite unique and while the theme might not be appealing, it's good fun!

Besides that most of my games are a bit heavier though :-)

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2016, 05:48:55 PM »
Catan is the family favourite.  It's a great game.

The kids like Munchins, but I find it frustrating as rules are complicated and subjective, thus encouraging fighting. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2016, 06:19:37 AM »

We like it because it's an easy game to teach people and plays fast.

Kind of like Seven Wonders, you can teach/play in a short period of time.

Dmoneyzzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life's either a daring adventure or nothing at all
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2016, 10:09:42 AM »
My favorite board game at the moment has to be Cash Flow.  Honestly, I enjoyed playing Scrabble and Sorry too but something about Cash Flow.  It teaches me about money and negotiation and I can apply some of those ideas to managing my investments in real life.  The practical application of the game is really my favorite feature.

Sharon Richard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: October 05, 2017, 03:08:42 AM »
I like playing in UNO game with my friends. Every friday we play in my flat

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2017, 07:47:12 AM »
Has anybody played a game called "Secret Hitler" ?  An acquaintance recommended it to me but I haven't played it.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2017, 07:55:07 AM »
Has anybody played a game called "Secret Hitler" ?  An acquaintance recommended it to me but I haven't played it.

Yeah! It's a similar style to Resistance / Resistance Avalon if you've ever played those. It's a mafia/Werewolf-style game where you have to guess what side people are on.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
Super Stratego

Which is basically like regular stratego, except that (almost) all the pieces have special powers

1 and 2 are powerful enough already
3 (kamikaze) sacrifice it plus a bomb to take out any opponents piece on the board from anywhere
4 (air lift) can switch places with a bomb or flag (once per 4)
5 (marine) can walk over lake squares
6 (paratrooper) can jump over another piece (of either team)
7 (guerrilla) can move/attack diagonal
8 (bomb squad) can dismantle bombs (as in original rules)
9 (stealth scout) can move and strike on same turn
S (cia assassin) if it reaches last row (closest to opponent) beats all number pieces - but only if it strikes first. It loses to everyone when defending
Sounds cool with the exception of the kamikaze rule which seems too strong.  Does it apply to any opponent piece (humans, bombs, and flag)?  Which bomb gets removed from the attacker?  Does the attacker get to choose or is it randomly assigned (number your bombs 1 to 6, roll a die)?

What if you had to have a "runway" of three consecutive empty land spaces (and/or water spaces if they were occupied by marines and in the runway path) in any cardinal direction for the kamikaze pilot to have room to take off?

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »

It's a great larger group game and easy to learn/teach. It's a social deception & deduction game that is a lot of fun to play, as long as people don't take it to personally when others lie to their face. Overall, I like it better than the resistance as it adds some randomness mechanics that tend to make it more fair who actually wins the game.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »
I went through the thread and noticed that Keyflower was only mentioned once.  For those of you who like the Uwe-style Eurotrash econ engine games (my personal favorite along with 4X), Keyflower is pretty much on the top of my list. As for 4X, it's damned hard to beat Through the Ages, though Eclipse certainly does a great job as well. For lighter games that can be taught quickly, I really like Carcassone or 7 Wonders, but one that often gets overlooked is Endeavor.

Heavy Euro
Keyflower
Ora et Labora
Agricola
Le Havre
(all other Uwe Games)
Caylus
Puerto Rico
Age of Steam

4X
Through the Ages
Eclipse

Medium
Castles of Burgundy
Troyes
Pandemic
Five Tribes
Race for the Galaxy
Dominion
Endeavor
Stone Age

Lighter Euros / Intro Games
7 Wonders
Carcassonne
Love Letter
Ricochet Robots
Blockus
RoboRally

Area Control
Terra Mystica
El Grande
Wallenstein / Samurai
Small World
Tigris & Euphrates (kind of)

Big Boots Buddha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2017, 08:32:36 PM »
Will second Keyflower. But its a 3-5 player type game, sadly the auction mechanic doesn't work really at all with just 2 people. At least for me.

Also been playing so much Clans of Caledonia. Really excellent engine/economic/living market game. I highly recommend this. Its a mix between Brass and Terra Mystica, but faster than both and much easier to play. In the top 10, solidly. Plays really well with 2,3 and 4.

Another that has hit the table a lot has been Troyes and its a little weird for me, clawing out those points, each game is so different.

My job is a bit stale so I like thinking games. But nothing too long. 2 hours including setup is my limit.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: October 10, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »
Medieval Academy is a really good, quick to learn but has some strategy, fun game.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2017, 06:32:09 PM »
Super Stratego

Which is basically like regular stratego, except that (almost) all the pieces have special powers

1 and 2 are powerful enough already
3 (kamikaze) sacrifice it plus a bomb to take out any opponents piece on the board from anywhere
4 (air lift) can switch places with a bomb or flag (once per 4)
5 (marine) can walk over lake squares
6 (paratrooper) can jump over another piece (of either team)
7 (guerrilla) can move/attack diagonal
8 (bomb squad) can dismantle bombs (as in original rules)
9 (stealth scout) can move and strike on same turn
S (cia assassin) if it reaches last row (closest to opponent) beats all number pieces - but only if it strikes first. It loses to everyone when defending
Sounds cool with the exception of the kamikaze rule which seems too strong.  Does it apply to any opponent piece (humans, bombs, and flag)?  Which bomb gets removed from the attacker?  Does the attacker get to choose or is it randomly assigned (number your bombs 1 to 6, roll a die)?

What if you had to have a "runway" of three consecutive empty land spaces (and/or water spaces if they were occupied by marines and in the runway path) in any cardinal direction for the kamikaze pilot to have room to take off?

Thus far its been that attacker picks a bomb.  It seems like it would be too strong, but in practice it doesn't seem to have changed many games too significantly.  Often takes out a '1' as soon as it is revealed.  8 is immune to it.  Wasted them on guessing 8s more than once.  One time I successfully guessed the flag (out of maybe 5-10 pieces it could possibly have been) using a kamikaze when I was one move away from losing.

AnaAnka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #171 on: October 19, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »
I would recommend Dixit :)

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »
Nertz - It's competitive multi person solitaire where you can build up from the ace of a suit on from anyone of your opponents. You need one deck of cards per team. Rounds can go pretty quickly.

D&D 3.5 - During a family vacation my wife and I played it with her brother and his kids(Age 7-13). The kids really enjoyed the freedom within the game to do whatever they chose on their turn. Role playing was really a hit for one of the older kids, who played an extremely apathetic elf/wizard. I really liked the paper based element of it. The game seemed like it had aged well. I hear fifth edition is good, but I don't see a reason to buy it. Salespeople were also trying to pitch me Pathfinder, but it's easier to stick with the version the rest of your friends/family had. D&D doesn't require many accessories: Dice, paper, game board(optional), player's handbook... I would say it's pretty mustachian overall. Used 3.5e PHBs pop up on eBay regularly or you can find searchable PDFs online if you look hard enough.

JMoney777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2017, 09:58:36 PM »

It's a great larger group game and easy to learn/teach. It's a social deception & deduction game that is a lot of fun to play, as long as people don't take it to personally when others lie to their face. Overall, I like it better than the resistance as it adds some randomness mechanics that tend to make it more fair who actually wins the game.

I played this for the first time the other night with a group of 8 friends and it was a blast.  Only one person had played before, but the rest of us were able to immediately pick it up and have exciting, competitive games.

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2017, 02:53:47 PM »
Just started going through Knizia's games. Really digging "Ra" so far. We were already in  love with lost cities. From him I'm looking forward to test lotr: the confrontation (a better asymmetrical stratego with the fellowship vs sauron) and blue moon ( scratches the magic/ccg hitch wmwhile not being expensive at all)

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
Legendary : Marvel. (Cost a lot but I enjoy it.)
Warhammer 40k.

There are quite a few games I own but getting my friends together to play is like herding cats. Finally said "screw it" and started going to the hobby shop.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2017, 11:46:12 PM »
boardgamegeek.com has some fan made custom Legendary expansions you can download than lowers the cost of ownership.

Legendary starts to suffer from bloat after you get too many cards. I like the game, but the completionist in me is disappointed that I can't have it all... and then having all of them makes for way too many card boxes and penny sleeves.

It's a cool game though. I like the cooperative gameplay.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2017, 12:25:41 PM »
I just picked up power grid's card game version. Played it once with DW. Played okay. Not sure on the replay value at 2 players -- the trust makes it interesting but I wonder if there isn't enough position switch-ups happening (read: none).

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2017, 01:49:27 PM »
Dominion
Carcasonne
Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride

If we're going for a co-op game...

Pandemic
Flash Point

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2017, 08:27:29 AM »
I recently found this list https://trollitc.com/2017/11/08/lots-of-games-for-mostly-under-20/ from this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/7bta8o/listanother_year_another_curated_list_of_over_100/ which has a ton of game that are fairly inexpensive. Most under $20. I've played a few and enjoyed them. Figured this would help out those looking for some good games that are inexpensive.

DailyCream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2017, 12:00:03 AM »
My all time fave will be Scrabble.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2017, 01:23:36 AM »
Anti-Mustachian Confession:

My Pandemic Legacy Season 2 has just arrived. I am excited about this, loved the first season. This is not a mustachian game (you mark the board and tear up cards, so not replayable). I'm not sorry.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2017, 05:20:16 AM »

My Pandemic Legacy Season 2 has just arrived. I am excited about this, loved the first season. This is not a mustachian game (you mark the board and tear up cards, so not replayable). I'm not sorry.

I soooo want to do Pandemic Legacy. Not in a place long enough, with the right people, to be ad to do so.

The $/hour seems totally worth it.

Enjoy! :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2017, 06:14:10 AM »
We've been playing a new favorite game: Firefly The Game. It is surprisingly good.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2017, 06:36:17 AM »
D&D 3.5 - During a family vacation my wife and I played it with her brother and his kids(Age 7-13). The kids really enjoyed the freedom within the game to do whatever they chose on their turn. Role playing was really a hit for one of the older kids, who played an extremely apathetic elf/wizard. I really liked the paper based element of it. The game seemed like it had aged well. I hear fifth edition is good, but I don't see a reason to buy it. Salespeople were also trying to pitch me Pathfinder, but it's easier to stick with the version the rest of your friends/family had. D&D doesn't require many accessories: Dice, paper, game board(optional), player's handbook... I would say it's pretty mustachian overall. Used 3.5e PHBs pop up on eBay regularly or you can find searchable PDFs online if you look hard enough.

I have a weekly D&D game night and the game is very much Mustachian. After you own the rulebooks and dice, there is pretty much nothing else to buy ever again unless you choose to purchase some pre-made campaign settings/game modules. Every week, I get together with friends and we have a potluck and play the game for a few hours. A lot of fun and a lot of laughter. I recommend this game to everybody.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2017, 06:51:28 AM »
We've been playing a new favorite game: Firefly The Game. It is surprisingly good.

I found it disappointing. Not very complex, and very straightforward on the correct action to take at all times. And much longer than necessary for not much benefit to the length.

I've heard the expansion makes it quite a bit better though.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2017, 12:43:52 AM »

I soooo want to do Pandemic Legacy. Not in a place long enough, with the right people, to be ad to do so.

Just played the first game, it is very good. Totally impractical for a nomadic lifestyle. You know there is a pandemic app? Works better on a tablet sized screen.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2017, 03:12:45 AM »
Regular Pandemic is okay. The season though I've heard is where it's at. :)

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2017, 10:14:16 AM »

I found it disappointing. Not very complex, and very straightforward on the correct action to take at all times. And much longer than necessary for not much benefit to the length.

I've heard the expansion makes it quite a bit better though.

It is fairly new to us and we also have the expansion so we may be in the still fun phase of the game. Buying games is my husband's unmustachian habit but he buys them out of his allowance so all is well financially. (My unmustachian habit is ebooks.)

To me the game seems like a typical trading/railroad game and I don't mind the lack of complexity. It reminds me of Empire Builder, which is a game I enjoy.

Another game we've found to be a lot of fun but we can't get our friends to play with us is Sails of Glory, which is a tactical game using miniature ships.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »

I also want to do Pandemic Legacy!!! The kicker is that, of course, it's basically impossible to buy used due to the destruction being part of the gameplay. I did see Season 1 being on sale at $32 on Coolstuffinc.com last Christmas (but didn't pull the trigger), so I'm hoping it drops to $32 again this year!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2017, 12:40:44 AM »
Fingers crossed for a price drop. I noticed the regular price dropping just after the new season was released, so it could happen.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2017, 12:45:50 AM »
If someone notices a price drop, please post it here! :)

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2017, 12:28:15 PM »
Warhammer 40k.

There are quite a few games I own but getting my friends together to play is like herding cats. Finally said "screw it" and started going to the hobby shop.

WH40k seems like the most anti-mustachian game you could pick, hahahaha.

I still have a lot of figures from my teenage years, but I have no painting ability whatsoever.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »
Anyone get the new Betrayal at Baldur's Gate? It's like the original Betrayal at House on the Hill with a D&D twist. I haven't played the original but I heard this one is better.

It seems well worth the money, it's $50 but comes with a lot of pieces and cards. It has 50 different scenarios and each game is an hour so that's $1/hour before you even repeat a scenario. That's a lot more replay value than compared to say, Settlers of Catan (which I'm kinda bored with now to be honest even with 3 expansions). I started going to a couple board game meetups so hopefully I find some more good board games other than the standard Catan, Monopoly, etc.

I also got Seikatsu on a whim because I must have bird-themed everything but that may not be everyone's cup of tea. It's only really a 2-3 player game. Similar to Connect 4 but a lot more challenging.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »
Betrayal Haunted Hill is pretty fun. I imagine Baldur's Gate would be awesome if you are playing with a good D&D Crowd.

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2017, 07:36:07 AM »
Summoner Wars is my absolute favorite game. There's not a close second. Either master set is all you need, but you can go down the rabbit hole like me and want all the factions. Played countless hours with my wife and friends so it's been worth the money.
Kemet is an excellent area control war game. You buy powers from 3 different types of skillsets so over time everyone's army becomes unique. It's really cool.
Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition is just a monster of a game. I've heard the 4th is better, but I haven't played it. I was out of town when my friends gave it a shot.
Codenames is great for a party.
Arctic Scavengers is really fun for a small group.

I played season one of Pandemic Legacy. It was really good, but coop games aren't my thing.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2017, 01:21:25 PM »

BLOOD PACT MADE!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2017, 01:46:28 PM »

BLOOD PACT MADE!

Someone smarter/less lazy than us is just gonna use CamelCamelCamel to set up an email alert.

(On my phone, but if I remember later I will do so.)

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
I was just reading on /r/boardgames a post about Inis. I hadn't heard of it but it seemed intriguing. Further examination showed that people either refer to it as their all-time favorite board game _ever_ or a complete waste of time not worth the cardboard it's printed on. I was wondering if anyone here had a chance to play it yet and what their thoughts were.

Big Boots Buddha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2017, 10:56:07 PM »
I was just reading on /r/boardgames a post about Inis. I hadn't heard of it but it seemed intriguing. Further examination showed that people either refer to it as their all-time favorite board game _ever_ or a complete waste of time not worth the cardboard it's printed on. I was wondering if anyone here had a chance to play it yet and what their thoughts were.

Im a big fan of Inis. It really needs 4 people the play well. Its a dudes on a map game but there is a lot of intrigue as the round goes on, as players can pass on their turn, waiting to see what others do first. There are 3 winning conditions that allow for different types of victories. Will be lots of fighting but peace can always be asked for and arranged between parties.

There is a clear issue of king attacking. When a person has the winning conditions they say so, and pass on their turn, then get a marker. If they still hold onto the winning condition at the end of the round when all have passed they win, so everyone attacks that person. Its a clever game and I play it with my group.

My group has a list of games we play, only these:

Keyflower
Troyes
Clans of Caledonia
Tigris and Euphrates
The Great Zimbabwe
Inis

and two more that are in flux right now.

I really like Inis and will play it happily. Being the Brenn or leader at the beginning is a big advantage but it usually works itself out since they are attacked more at the beginning.

Its a dudes on a map game, but there is a lot of deception and tactics, not just Risk and dice rolling, In fact all combat is done in a different way, where attacking results in a hit or the person has to give up a card that round (cards are actions). Very clever game, well designed.

My favorite game now is Keyflower and then perhaps Inis is in a tie with many of the others above.