Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762437 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #600 on: December 08, 2015, 03:09:06 PM »
"Uprooted" by Naomi Novik. I am in love with this book so far. It's a level of quality I don't find in a lot of fantasy writing. Highly recommend.

Just ordered the first 3 Temeraire novels for my kindle. Because $9.99 for 3, vs 11.99 for one. Yeah, yeah, should have come from the library, but the waitlist for any popular book at the Seattle Public Library is always in the hundreds. I was literally number 999 on the waitlist for the KonMarie book. And come to think of it, it's possible the system just capped out at 3 digits. Sheesh.

On the upside, can't wait to get home! I'm smirking around, imagining the underlings looks if the knew the LT wants to squirrel home early to read dragon books.   

Those are next on my to read list!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #601 on: December 09, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »

"Uprooted" by Naomi Novik. I am in love with this book so far. It's a level of quality I don't find in a lot of fantasy writing. Highly recommend.

Well, I read ~275 pages yesterday afternoon to finish out the book. Needless to say, it continued to be enjoyable. Again: recommended.

You sold me!

That was pretty good.

I don't think I'll be reading her other stuff, as alternative history isn't really my thing, but I did enjoy that.

Thanks for the recommendation!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #602 on: December 09, 2015, 04:06:07 PM »
I'm reading "Princess Academy" by Shannon Hale. I'm only 3 chapters in, but I'm not totally sold yet. We'll see how it shapes up. Very much feels like "preteen fiction" rather than "YA fiction".

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #603 on: December 10, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »
I just finished The First Bad Man, by Miranda July (her first novel!), which I really enjoyed. Weird little piece of fiction. Now I'm reading Hillary Clinton's memoir from a dozen years ago - interesting to know more about her story, though she's not a particularly compelling writer. Bracken_Joy, I'm going to check the library for Uprooted!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #604 on: December 11, 2015, 11:39:11 PM »
Finished Temerarie last night.
Spoiler: show
What the fuckit, the abused dragon died?
. I still have 2 more books in the universe, but I like to space these things out. Fine things should not be rushed.

I'm off to re-read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Because love exists in my heart for this book. It opens on Godfrey Waterhouse IV, which the whole forum should love, because he is 'by birthright a stupendeous badass.'

I need you people to get up to speed on reading this book, so we can squee together. Don't wanna be alone here guys. Guys?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #605 on: December 12, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »
Finished Temerarie last night.
Spoiler: show
What the fuckit, the abused dragon died?
. I still have 2 more books in the universe, but I like to space these things out. Fine things should not be rushed.

Do you want a hug?
PS there's more than two! There are 8 published and the 9th is forthcoming. So binge away! There is lots more. :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #606 on: December 13, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »
I think we need a list or thread on nice books to be read that are out of copyright and up on e.g. project gutenberg.
Just thought about it and thought about mentioning it ;)

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #607 on: December 14, 2015, 04:35:31 PM »
Musashi- Eiji Yoshikawa
Tao te Ching- Lao Tzu

Both of these books are fascinating, and at the same time I am making this Mustachian journey, I can see the main characters and their similarities to different people's attitudes toward financial situations (and life in general really).

I won't spoil anything, but I will cite two of the main characters as examples. The story takes place during the Sengoku Period (1467-c.1615?). There are many ronin trying to make a name for themselves, not only for honor but in order to make a living. There is Miyamoto Musashi, who goes on a spiritual quest to master the Way of the Sword. He blames any shortcomings on himself and learns from his mistakes. When he senses trouble ahead, he prepares for it. When offered ways for a quick buck, he declines in pursuit of the greater goal he has dedicated himself to.

Then we have Hon'iden Matahachi. He is clueless, and wants desperately to prove himself in the world. He constantly dreams of being "somebody" in a world where many men with a sword and some training are attempting the same thing. Matahachi doesn't train his skills, and he blunders into trouble. When he sense trouble ahead, he panics. When he makes mistake after mistake, he blames the people around him. Nothing is ever his own fault. He knows he needs to do better, but it is just too hard. If he were born like Musashi, he wouldn't be so bad off. If it wasn't for (insert something here), he would already be famous.

I know it is silly to compare two people from the Sengoku Period of Japan to people in the modern day, but I can't help but find some willpower in Musashi to keep going with this Mustachian thing. I see many around me all the time with Matahachi's attitude. "If only this" "If only that". I can't fall into that line of thinking. I can't afford to make excuses for not bettering myself physically, mentally and financially.

And now I made a long post. Sorry.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #608 on: December 17, 2015, 10:43:23 PM »
A daily blog called The Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/

When the documentary came out "Going Clear" about Scientology I couldn't believe something like that could be allowed to exist in the United States. Then I started to read all I could find about the cult.

The Underground Bunker is a daily blog written in a no nonsense, here's the facts style on the goings on of Scientology. Many of the comments after the daily article are written by former members of the cult, and believe me, can be enlightening.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #609 on: December 18, 2015, 01:04:45 AM »
I just finished a couple of free books about Scott's Terra Nova expedition to the South Pole.

Grim stuff.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #610 on: December 18, 2015, 01:16:05 AM »
I only seem to read non-fiction these days.

I've just started "The Tale of Duelling Neuorsurgenons - The history of the human brain as revealed by true stories of trauma, madness and recovery" by Sam Kean.

It's great so far. Very entertaining and well written, plus I suspect I'll have memorised the brain structure by the end of it.

I found it by accident in the library catalogue searching for something entirely different but I ordered it anyway because it sounded interesting.

Musashi- Eiji Yoshikawa
Tao te Ching- Lao Tzu

<snip>

I know it is silly to compare two people from the Sengoku Period of Japan to people in the modern day, but I can't help but find some willpower in Musashi to keep going with this Mustachian thing. I see many around me all the time with Matahachi's attitude. "If only this" "If only that". I can't fall into that line of thinking. I can't afford to make excuses for not bettering myself physically, mentally and financially.

And now I made a long post. Sorry.

That was really interesting, thank you. I enjoyed your comparison to modern day life.

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #611 on: December 18, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »
Just finished reading two books: How to be Victorian and March.  The first is a social historian's account of Victorian life from dawn to dusk.  I found it full of fascinating details (for instance, the prevalence of dry brushing instead of bathing in the early Victorian era- which the author has tried and found an effective cleaning/odor controlling strategy).  The second is a novel based on the character of Mr. March from Little Women.  I thought it was well written and thought provoking (I don't read many books set during the American Civil War).

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #612 on: December 18, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »
The Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil, just finished Kill Chain The Rise of the High-tech Assassins by the delightfully named Andrew Cockburn.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #613 on: December 18, 2015, 08:10:34 PM »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #614 on: December 18, 2015, 08:15:30 PM »
I'm now on book 15 of the Aubreyad ("The Truelove" by Patrick O'Brian) and it's great! I'm shocked by how I'm maintaining momentum on this series, despite the (no seriously) epic length.
Highly recommend. Great writing and great adventures. And unexpected dry humor.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #615 on: December 19, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »
I'm now on book 15 of the Aubreyad ("The Truelove" by Patrick O'Brian) and it's great! I'm shocked by how I'm maintaining momentum on this series, despite the (no seriously) epic length.

That series is one of my favourite to read and re-read. And the humour is fantastic, very subtle.

One of the most fascinating things is the change from the first to the second novel - the first was very heavy and a bit boring and then O'Brian suddenly found his footing in the second one and it became plain sailing from there.

I see what you did there!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #616 on: December 19, 2015, 12:48:34 PM »

That series is one of my favourite to read and re-read. And the humour is fantastic, very subtle.

One of the most fascinating things is the change from the first to the second novel - the first was very heavy and a bit boring and then O'Brian suddenly found his footing in the second one and it became plain sailing from there.

I see what you did there!

*SNICKERS*
See, I love this forum. A+ punage.

And I agree. I think book 1 was meant to be a one-off, and then he was like 'nah fuck it let's write 20 more,' and so changed his approach.

And no seriously. My urge to repeat horrible and outdated nautical puns is now exceptionally high. Send help. (In sum, everyone should read this series, however I admit it is a commitment being 21 books long).

Conjou

• Stubble
« Reply #617 on: December 22, 2015, 10:39:46 AM »
Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

chweezzy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #618 on: December 22, 2015, 01:27:26 PM »
Focal point - Brian Tracey

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #619 on: December 23, 2015, 03:54:40 AM »
I think we need a list or thread on nice books to be read that are out of copyright and up on e.g. project gutenberg.

Over 50,000 on Project Gutenberg. But here, check this out: http://ebookfriendly.com/free-public-domain-books-sources/

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #620 on: December 23, 2015, 05:37:18 AM »

Over 50,000 on Project Gutenberg. But here, check this out: http://ebookfriendly.com/free-public-domain-books-sources/
Thats why I said we need a thread for those books - because there are so many

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #621 on: December 23, 2015, 06:28:19 AM »

I understand now. :) I started a thread called great books list in off topic for it. http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/great-books-list/

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #622 on: December 27, 2015, 07:33:08 PM »
Just finished War of the Worlds, by H.G. Wells. Not at all what I expected.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #623 on: December 27, 2015, 07:53:45 PM »
Started Temeraire by Naomi Novik (aka His Majesty's Dragon). It's... confusing. I feel very "dropped in the middle" of it.  I think Im about 1/3 of the way in? (Kindle, so I don't remember). I'm hoping this improves with time. I feel like the author is purposely hiding information in heavily stilted writing to give an air of mystery, and that annoys me. Everyone seemed to like it, though, and I enjoyed Uprooted, so I'm keeping with it. (To be fair, Uprooted had a similar "you don't get to know yet" feel, but I enjoyed it more for some reason).

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #624 on: December 27, 2015, 08:03:47 PM »
Just finished War of the Worlds, by H.G. Wells. Not at all what I expected.
I said the same when I finished it recently!
Radiolab does a cool podcast on the radio show if your interested.

I understand now. :) I started a thread called great books list in off topic for it. http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/great-books-list/
I have been freaking devouring free classics on kindle.  I've learned a lot, like I really don't like Charles Dickens. Jules Verne is my man though, can't get enough. Right now I'm on Journey to the Center of the Earth. My favorite of his so far is The Mysterious Island. How had I never read him before?

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #625 on: December 27, 2015, 09:55:36 PM »
Just finished Out of Sorts by Aurelie Valognes. Quick read, free for Kindle. It was predictable, but still entertaining. I think I might tackle Don Quixote next. I bought a beautifully bound used hardcover some months ago and haven't gotten around to reading it quite yet.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: December 28, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »
Just finished reading "Super Sad True Love Story" by Gary Shteyngart - was ok, but didnt love it.

Its set in the not to distant future, and the USA is on the brink of economic crash with a totalitarian government who promotes consumerism

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #627 on: December 28, 2015, 09:31:42 PM »
Finished Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight, but Dan Bucatinsky. It was surprisingly good! Going from happily irreverent, to surprisingly perceptive. Bucatinsky is a good author. Recommended.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #628 on: December 28, 2015, 09:41:39 PM »
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. Not sure where it's heading so far, and I have no idea what to expect.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #629 on: December 29, 2015, 12:40:55 AM »
I have to stop myself from starting books and then stopping halfway through! That will be a 2016 resolution.

I bought Do No Harm : Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery by Henry Marsh yesterday.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #630 on: December 29, 2015, 01:21:23 PM »
Just finished reading "Super Sad True Love Story" by Gary Shteyngart - was ok, but didnt love it.

Its set in the not to distant future, and the USA is on the brink of economic crash with a totalitarian government who promotes consumerism
And that is still considered future and fiction? lol

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #631 on: December 30, 2015, 03:42:35 PM »
Year of Yes Shonda Rhimes

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #632 on: December 30, 2015, 05:31:10 PM »
Breakthrough by Michael C. Grumley

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #633 on: January 02, 2016, 03:34:57 AM »
The Matrix - Jonathan Aycliffe.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #634 on: January 03, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »
Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #635 on: January 03, 2016, 10:34:58 AM »
This week I finished The Wine Dark Sea (Patrick O'Brian, book 16? I think.) as well as The Tropic of Serpents (2nd in the Lady Trent series by Marie Brennan)
Just started Leviathan Wakes by James S A Corey (I admit it, after watching the first ep of The Expanse. Sue me ;P )

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: January 03, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
The Tiger - a true story about vengeance and survival.
John Vaillant

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #637 on: January 03, 2016, 01:45:36 PM »
This week I finished The Wine Dark Sea (Patrick O'Brian, book 16? I think.) as well as The Tropic of Serpents (2nd in the Lady Trent series by Marie Brennan)
Just started Leviathan Wakes by James S A Corey (I admit it, after watching the first ep of The Expanse. Sue me ;P )

Me too! I watched the first few episodes of The Expanse and loved it, so I checked Leviathan Wakes out from the library last week Monday, and read 350 pages the first day! I had finished it by Tuesday evening, but it helps that I was on PTO and didn't have to work those days. I have the next 2 on hold at the library, and should be available in the next day or two. I'm pumped! Haven't found a series that I've been this sucked into since I first read ASOIAF.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: January 03, 2016, 03:09:37 PM »

Me too! I watched the first few episodes of The Expanse and loved it, so I checked Leviathan Wakes out from the library last week Monday, and read 350 pages the first day! I had finished it by Tuesday evening, but it helps that I was on PTO and didn't have to work those days. I have the next 2 on hold at the library, and should be available in the next day or two. I'm pumped! Haven't found a series that I've been this sucked into since I first read ASOIAF.

Ugh. Sounds right up my alley! But the first book has 25 holds on 2 copies! The second book has 5 holds on 2 copies and the third book is available. I guess everyone had the same idea after watching The Expanse. :p

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #639 on: January 03, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »

Ha! Apparently we're on the same wavelength as well as being practically neighbors!
Yeah I'm only like 30 pages in (been busy ://) but I enjoyed it a lot! The writing style is captivating, despite a terseness that doesn't always appeal to me.

joninnyc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #640 on: January 03, 2016, 07:29:32 PM »
The Honest Truth About Dishonesty by Dan Ariely

Such a good book! Everybody lies all the time, but just a little bit, to hold together the mental image we have of ourselves as generally good people. Great read though.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #641 on: January 04, 2016, 04:25:55 AM »
I hope I'm not derailing but I need to ask you... Do you ever feel like you HAVE to finish a book you bought or someone gave you? 

I never not finished a book until I got sick, I read 2-3 a week and it was just a thing, I always finished.   Now memory and comprehension have slowed my roll to a few books a month even though I am on disability and have the time to read more, it takes me forever now.  Anyway, after the neuro stuff made reading harder, I now freely allow myself to not finish something and find something better.  But I don't buy books, I'm a library fiend so this costs me nothing. 

I rarely if ever, don't complete a movie in a theater.  But I walked out of Boyhood, a movie I should've loved (director, premise, actors) because I hated it. I may try that one again, though. 

I just finished Black Out: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget.  meh but the author wrote well and it left me glad I do not deal with addiction

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #642 on: January 08, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »
Gourmet Magazine Nov 2007.  There are some good vegan recipes in this one.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #643 on: January 09, 2016, 09:33:11 PM »
Finally finished both Musashi and Tao te Ching.

I am now rereading The Tao of Pooh. by Benjamin Hoff.

It's a very light hearted but insightful book that one can get through in one sitting, and being a childhood fan of Winnie the Pooh, I could not resist.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #644 on: January 10, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »
Sorry I am coming late to these.  Is that the Anne Bishop one?  The third in the series gets really dark.

Third of the way through Pillars of Earth and already had 2 people stop to tell me it's a great book.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #645 on: January 10, 2016, 06:57:13 PM »
The Year of Living Danishly.  I was gong to take my time, and I read the whole thing in one go.  Interesting take on going from London to Legoland.  I was also surprised at how Denmark and Canada share a fair number of similarities, for countries that are superficially quite different. 

I've been reading mostly nonfiction lately, think I'll go hang out with Poddy next.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #646 on: January 15, 2016, 03:55:18 PM »
Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner

Ferrisbueller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #647 on: January 15, 2016, 04:33:57 PM »
American Sniper by Chris Kyle
Really admire the Seals, the training, discipline, Kyle's skills etc but Kyle himself on a personal level is a bit of a dick.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #648 on: January 15, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »
Cat Sense ("How the New Feline Sciene Can Make You a Better Friend To Your Pet") by John Bradshaw. I've only just started reading it and the first chapter at least is a history of feline domestication and what archeological evidence there is to support the various theories. I assume it will get into pet cat behaviour later on in the book.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #649 on: January 16, 2016, 03:51:47 PM »
Harmony Black by Craig Schaefer. Really quick read thus far.