Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 764843 times)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #500 on: October 01, 2015, 12:32:52 AM »
So two days ago I read Sabriel, yesterday I read Lireal and Abhorsen, and today I think I have enough free time to read Clariel. They're certainly page-turners!

The Old Kingdom/Ancelstierre border, the dead,  the bells, and the origins of the charter are certainly unique and set it apart from other fantasy. I haven't been amazed by the character development but the pacing has been spot-on. These have made a really compelling vacation read.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #501 on: October 01, 2015, 12:36:05 AM »
After that I'm on to Shadows in Flight, the only Enderverse book I haven't read yet. I love things about the Ender books but I feel like this might be the thing that finally turns me off Card if it's as bad as reviewers seem to think. Then again, I liked the unloved shadow quintet and Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind didn't do it for me.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #502 on: October 01, 2015, 05:02:57 AM »
After that I'm on to Shadows in Flight, the only Enderverse book I haven't read yet. I love things about the Ender books but I feel like this might be the thing that finally turns me off Card if it's as bad as reviewers seem to think. Then again, I liked the unloved shadow quintet and Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind didn't do it for me.

My thoughts inexactly. I thought the Bean books were much better than Xenocide, Speaker, and Children, but I don't know what could turn me off Card at this point.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #503 on: October 01, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
The Earth Awakens trilogy isn't bad. Have you read things from his other universes?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #504 on: October 01, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »
The Maze Runner.

I saw a commercial on TV for the movie and thought "wow, that looks like it would be a really good book."
I was wrong. It really isn't...

At least it was cheap on Amazon. (Cost less to get a real book than a Kindle edition. And new was cheaper than used...)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #505 on: October 01, 2015, 02:33:15 PM »
The Maze Runner.

I saw a commercial on TV for the movie and thought "wow, that looks like it would be a really good book."
I was wrong. It really isn't...

At least it was cheap on Amazon. (Cost less to get a real book than a Kindle edition. And new was cheaper than used...)

Interesting, I enjoyed the books. Not great character writing, but I didn't find the developments and "reveals" in the series to be predictable, which was a nice change.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #506 on: October 01, 2015, 02:56:30 PM »

Interesting, I enjoyed the books. Not great character writing, but I didn't find the developments and "reveals" in the series to be predictable, which was a nice change.

I'm about 80% done with the first book, the world building hasn't really done it for me.  Maybe I need to give the second a try to see if the series is worth it as a whole.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #507 on: October 01, 2015, 04:39:27 PM »
The Earth Awakens trilogy isn't bad. Have you read things from his other universes?

I've read Lovelock, Empire, Pathfinder, Enchantment, Magic Street, Invasive Procedures, The Lost Gate, and The Gate Thief. Looks like I need to get cracking on finishing some of his other series...

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #508 on: October 01, 2015, 05:19:58 PM »
Reading Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  I first read the paperbacks in HS, I re-read them every couple years.  Great fun.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #509 on: October 23, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
Been reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

They're quite silly.

Since Card is being discussed, I recently read the Pathfinder trilogy (within the last month or so).  It was decent, the premise reminded me of one of my favorite OSC books, one of his very early ones, Treason.

Wish he wasn't such a terrible person re: politics (anti-feminism and anti-homosexuality), but what can you do?  Entertaining author.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #510 on: October 23, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »
I read "Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale and LOVED it. Now I'm reading the sequel, Enna Burning. It's not quite as good so far, not hooking me as hard, but it's still worth reading I think. Goose Girl would certainly stand on its own, though.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #511 on: October 23, 2015, 10:58:24 AM »
I've decided to reread Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin series set in the British Navy of the Napoleonic Wars. Read most of them twenty years ago or so but petered out as Aubrey rose in the service and became less of a single-ship captain having adventures. Normally I am agnostic as to format, but I am loving reading these on my tablet so I can easily look up the terminology and references (I also have an e-book that is a lexicon for these books.) Most of the time I discover that I made correct guesses about meaning based on context, but I am off often enough that it is worth doing. I have also read a couple of short books about the British navy of this period which have been really helpful understanding what is going on.

I seem to remember that the original recommendation to read the series came from a guy I had a crush on at the time. The guy is long gone, but the book recommendation stuck with me!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #512 on: October 23, 2015, 11:47:32 AM »

They're quite silly.
Huh? You sure you read all? The first ones are a bit silly, but it gets a lot darker and more human later on.

Speaking of series, next I will probably read the book girl series again.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #513 on: October 23, 2015, 12:26:26 PM »
Ernie Zeleski's How to retire wild happy and free....

Honestly the whole thing reads like shameless self promotion; I'm almost disappointed I paid for my digital copy :(

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #514 on: October 24, 2015, 12:54:50 AM »

They're quite silly.
Huh? You sure you read all? The first ones are a bit silly, but it gets a lot darker and more human later on.

No, I didn't say I've read them all, but that I've been reading them.

I read the first three over the last week.  There are 40 or something like that.

My wife read the first 8 so far over the past two or three weeks, and said they're all still pretty silly up to that point at least.

IDK if I'll make it far enough to get to the darker ones, if they're quite deep into a 40-series set.  Too many books to read, too little time.  For now, quick reads that are silly are fine with me.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #515 on: October 24, 2015, 02:53:34 AM »
I've been reading "Lucky Dog" by Dr Sarah Boston. She's a vet who treats animal for various cancers and... then finds a tumour in herself. I'm only halfway through the book but it's essentially contrasting how good the system is for animals vs for humans.

They're quite silly.

+1 Some of his Discworld ones are quite dark and have fairly heavy themes. The Nightwatchmen series in particular. The silliness helps the medicine go down. Or something. I'm on a lot of sedatives today.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: October 24, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »
I've been reading "Lucky Dog" by Dr Sarah Boston. She's a vet who treats animal for various cancers and... then finds a tumour in herself. I'm only halfway through the book but it's essentially contrasting how good the system is for animals vs for humans.

How would you rate that in terms of suitability for being emotionally triggering re: cancer? Is it a pretty good "approach with humor and insight" or is it an "emotionally wrenching, totally draining to read" type of cancer book?

The premise sounds great, but I'm always so wary of this subject in media.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #517 on: October 24, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »
I read the Ta Nehisi Coates book Between The World and Me a couple of months ago. It is still bouncing in the back of my brain and I'm still making sense of it and relating back to it. I can't recommend it highly enough. Note that it qualifies as an important read rather than an enjoyable read.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #518 on: October 24, 2015, 03:51:40 PM »

How would you rate that in terms of suitability for being emotionally triggering re: cancer? Is it a pretty good "approach with humor and insight" or is it an "emotionally wrenching, totally draining to read" type of cancer book?

The premise sounds great, but I'm always so wary of this subject in media.

I'm only halfway through reading it, so I don't know how wrenching it will get. I was actually reading it in the oncology ward while the nurse was giving me chemo, so not too wrenching for me at the moment (caveat - I was on benzos for nausea at the time so YMMV). When the author writes about her animal patients and how she came to be a vet, it's reasonably humourous. 

I did have to stop reading it while in the oncology ward, though, because the author started ranting about how her doctors hadn't listened to her, and my last appt with my oncologist was a bit shit, so I didn't want to get het up while the nurse was giving me chemo. Wouldn't have helped me or her. I'll probably finish the book in the next few days.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #519 on: October 25, 2015, 06:10:11 PM »
The Great Beanie Baby Bubble: Mass Delusion and the Dark Side of Cute

I'm 1/3 of the way through and it's very well-written, a real page-turner. Especially if you remember how crazy those days were. Ty Warner's eccentricities are really interesting.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #520 on: October 28, 2015, 05:10:50 AM »

Just started Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson.   

I loved that book, the one he wrote about Dr Crippen was great too.

love his books, especially the descriptions of Frederick Olmsted's parks in White City (pretty sure it was in White City, if not, read the book that intersperces Olmsted's parks into the story.  Bad memory, sorry) .  We have a partial one here but the city ran out of money to pay him. 

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #521 on: October 28, 2015, 05:22:48 AM »

I'm 1/3 of the way through and it's very well-written, a real page-turner. Especially if you remember how crazy those days were. Ty Warner's eccentricities are really interesting.

ooh, thanks, just ordered from library. What a weird time that was.  I got Beanie babies in lucite boxes, instructed to never open at my baby shower! We opened them all and gasp, when the kids were toddlers, let them play with them and I cut the tags off.  I'd be retired had I not been so.............reasonable.  I want to hear about people who actually made a killing with BBs.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #522 on: October 28, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »
Choose the LIfe You Want by Tal Ben-Shahar

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #523 on: October 29, 2015, 11:23:06 AM »

ooh, thanks, just ordered from library. What a weird time that was.  I got Beanie babies in lucite boxes, instructed to never open at my baby shower! We opened them all and gasp, when the kids were toddlers, let them play with them and I cut the tags off.  I'd be retired had I not been so.............reasonable.  I want to hear about people who actually made a killing with BBs.

It was definitely a weird time! I like learning about bubbles so that during the next craze I can find a way to profit from it (realizing it's a bubble all the while). Most people lose all their gains during the crash phase. If you can siphon off your profits into real investments, bubbles are great :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #524 on: October 29, 2015, 01:29:38 PM »

ooh, thanks, just ordered from library.

x2!  :)

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #525 on: October 30, 2015, 07:03:55 AM »
Third of the way through Pillars of Earth and already had 2 people stop to tell me it's a great book.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #526 on: October 30, 2015, 07:18:48 PM »
I'm reading Furies of Calderon at the moment. At the recommendation of the Goblin Chief and compadres I just flew through the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

As soon as I fall back into nonfiction mode it'll be Thinking, Fast and Slow, though it sucks trying to read anything of substance within the 14 days the library gives me for ebooks.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #527 on: October 31, 2015, 02:52:32 PM »
OMG too many books. Recently completed:

Currently consuming:

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #528 on: October 31, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »
Grant I'm bringing you Animal Vegetable Miracle if I don't forget. You'll like it more than you'll dislike it

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #529 on: October 31, 2015, 03:45:01 PM »
Grant I'm bringing you Animal Vegetable Miracle if I don't forget. You'll like it more than you'll dislike it

A ringing endorsement.

Nancy

« Reply #530 on: November 02, 2015, 04:31:34 AM »
Finally received the Martian from the library.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
    • Financial Literacy Conversations
« Reply #531 on: November 02, 2015, 04:33:42 AM »
The Dream Giver, by Bruce Wilkinson.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: November 02, 2015, 04:39:56 AM »
^ The Ethical Slut, hmm, I might read that as I have met a few polyamorous people but don't really know much about the subject.

MicroSpice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #533 on: November 02, 2015, 08:58:06 AM »
Like I need a bigger reading list! So many interesting reviews on this thread.

I just started reading Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office in order to help me navigate this bureaucratic world I find myself in after having previously only worked at small shops. It's been very enlightening so far, and I've already recommended it to several friends, male and female.

Next on the list is Essentialism, which I picked up from the library this weekend, and hope to devour on a business trip next week.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #534 on: November 02, 2015, 09:28:41 AM »

A ringing endorsement.
Or insightful commentary on a friend's personality...? The world may never know ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #535 on: November 02, 2015, 09:32:11 AM »
Hah.  Touche.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #536 on: November 02, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »
^ The Ethical Slut, hmm, I might read that as I have met a few polyamorous people but don't really know much about the subject.
I'd highly recommend it for everybody. Nearly every idea presented in the book applies to monogamous folks just as well.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #537 on: November 02, 2015, 10:33:29 AM »
I'd highly recommend it for everybody. Nearly every idea presented in the book applies to monogamous folks just as well.

This is probably the 4th time I've seen this book recommended. Guess it's time to add it to my reading list!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #538 on: November 03, 2015, 04:01:58 AM »
I'm reading How to be Idle - Tom Hodgkinson.

Like I need a bigger reading list! So many interesting reviews on this thread.

I agree.:)

I will read it then.:)

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #540 on: November 04, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3302768/The-TRAUMATIC-life-change-s-not-menopause-nest-lonely-agony-suddenly-finding-retired-women-reveal.html

Darn it, I took the bait.  So the lesson I get from this article is that many of these women don't seem to have any interests, hobbies, or passions outside of their work.  I know many men with the same problem. 

So its a cautionary tale to make sure I cultivate not only my 'stache, but my LIFE. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #541 on: November 04, 2015, 03:52:28 PM »
Shadow and Claw, by Gene Wolfe.

Hard work to read. Lots of misogyny. Not sure I'll finish the series.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #542 on: November 05, 2015, 04:39:54 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3302768/The-TRAUMATIC-life-change-s-not-menopause-nest-lonely-agony-suddenly-finding-retired-women-reveal.html

Darn it, I took the bait.  So the lesson I get from this article is that many of these women don't seem to have any interests, hobbies, or passions outside of their work.  I know many men with the same problem. 

So its a cautionary tale to make sure I cultivate not only my 'stache, but my LIFE.

Yes, that is how I took it too. :)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #543 on: November 06, 2015, 04:33:49 AM »
Gonzo Girl- I thought is was a true story about Hunter S. Thompson, written by his assistant. I could not wait for it to come in at the library. Turns out it's fictionalized about a man who sounds much like Hunter Thompson but I could care less about that.  I wanted the real deal!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #544 on: November 06, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »

Seconded!

Just finished The Longest Road - Philip Caputo. Started slowly, but I enjoyed it.
Just started Better Than Before - Gretchen Rubin

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #545 on: November 06, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »
Just read "The Fur Person" by May Sarton. It is a very charming short book, written from the point of view of Sarton's cat. Any friends of felines would, I think, enjoy it (keeping in mind that it was written in 1957, so some of the attitudes about pets and their treatment are from a different era).

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #546 on: November 10, 2015, 02:02:18 PM »
Whale Done by Ken Blanchard

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #547 on: November 11, 2015, 01:52:24 PM »
I'm reading Furies of Calderon at the moment. At the recommendation of the Goblin Chief and compadres I just flew through the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.
My fantasy kick is chugging along. Yesterday I finished the third book of the Codex Alera. I've also got Branderson's Warbreaker on loan but ugggh I can't keep up with three worlds at once so I won't even try.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #548 on: November 13, 2015, 12:38:46 PM »
Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin

Dartwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #549 on: November 13, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Probably the best fantasy series I've read in a decade.