Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762385 times)

surething22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #450 on: August 27, 2015, 11:55:53 PM »
Daring Greatly - Brene Brown

Nancy

« Reply #451 on: August 28, 2015, 07:13:05 AM »
Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier. I just picked up her fantasy book at the library on a lark, and I really enjoy her descriptions of nature.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #452 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:40 AM »
I finished Just Mercy (still incredibly highly recommended) and moved on to another crazy depressing current affairs book: Missoula - Rape and the Justice System in a College Town, by Jon Krakauer. I gotta stop reading this stuff before bed.

I also just wrapped up the first ten issues of the Miles Morales Spider-Man run - much lighter. :)

SK Joyous

• Stubble
« Reply #453 on: August 28, 2015, 03:08:47 PM »
"Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson - it has given my inner 'Grammar Police' a bit of a pause! I've now read everything by Bill Bryson; I love his writing.  I am thinking of tackling the Hitchhiker's Guide books again - it's been many years since I've read them, and I'm ready for some goofy material :)

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #454 on: August 29, 2015, 07:41:13 AM »
I re-read "Good Omens" (Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett) this past week--I forgot how funny that book is.

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #455 on: August 29, 2015, 08:53:48 AM »
Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert.  Good stuff.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: September 03, 2015, 11:06:47 AM »
I just got a gig writing about 1970s stuff for a new website, so I'm re-reading a bunch of 70s-era YA novels that blew my fragile little mind at the time. Just finished Farmer Boy and am in the middle of My Side of the Mountain, where a kid runs away and lives on his own in the forest. Next up is From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler, where two kids run away and live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a time.

As a child, I guess I really got into the kids-running-away-from-home-and-having-adventures genre.

Madeleine L'Engle- a Wrinkle in Time.  Bridge to Terebithia. Watership Down.  Can I have your job, please?  I hope it's awesome for you!

Okay, so I'm not the only one who was introduced to Watership Down as a kid's book?

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #457 on: September 03, 2015, 02:40:38 PM »
I read the first Harry Potter book and am going to start the 2nd one soon.  I've never read them and it was suggested by my wife and some friends.  My wife said the books get more "mature" and I've heard good things from others, otherwise I probably would've stopped after the first one.  Not to say the first one was bad; YA (particularly fantasy) is not usually my thing.

In between HP books I'm currently reading "Amusing Ourselves to Death" (20th anniversary edition, printed in 2005).  The references are from the 80's but overall it's pretty good and relevant.  Only about 170 pages.  It's basically about how/why television has lowered the level of discourse.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: September 04, 2015, 05:18:34 AM »
A historical book about the Highland Clearances by Eric Richards.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #459 on: September 04, 2015, 02:51:36 PM »
The Motivation Manifesto by Brendon Burchard

Daring Greatly by Brene Brown

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #460 on: September 04, 2015, 02:54:32 PM »
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #461 on: September 04, 2015, 03:04:15 PM »
Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert.  Good stuff.

I found it to be depressing. 

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #462 on: September 04, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
I just got a gig writing about 1970s stuff for a new website, so I'm re-reading a bunch of 70s-era YA novels that blew my fragile little mind at the time. Just finished Farmer Boy and am in the middle of My Side of the Mountain, where a kid runs away and lives on his own in the forest. Next up is From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler, where two kids run away and live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a time.

As a child, I guess I really got into the kids-running-away-from-home-and-having-adventures genre.

Madeleine L'Engle- a Wrinkle in Time.  Bridge to Terebithia. Watership Down.  Can I have your job, please?  I hope it's awesome for you!

Okay, so I'm not the only one who was introduced to Watership Down as a kid's book?

I read Wrinkle In Time, but I watched Watership Down as a tripped out LSD-dream 1970s animated film. JFC, that movie scarred me for life. Fuck rabbits.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #463 on: September 05, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »

Daring Greatly by Brene Brown

Would you recommend her? I read about her recently and was thinking about reading Rising Strong.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #464 on: September 08, 2015, 08:18:42 AM »
Foundation by Isaac Asimov. Catching up on my sci-fi classics.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #465 on: September 08, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
Heaven help me- i'm reading the Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I started it last night and kept thinking it will take me forever to do this because I move so slow, fall over when I bend, etc.  Woke up today and totally forgot what I read.  So starting over with the idea that I am just reading this book and if at the end I'm up for some life-changing magic, fine, I'll go on from there. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #466 on: September 10, 2015, 11:38:25 AM »
Currently reading: David Copperfield and The Sign of Four (short installments daily), a book of time-travel themed short stories, and The Odyssey. Just finished Reflections on the Psalms by C.S. Lewis. Loving David Copperfield! Somehow I made it to my 40s without having read much Dickens other than A Christmas Carol and, for some reason, Bleak House. David Copperfield is really showing me why he is/was such a beloved author. The Sign of Four is a reread--I went through a big Sherlock Holmes phase as a teenager, and the Odyssey is fine. At this point I have read so many retellings, riffs, etc. of the last that so far I am not getting a whole lot out of the original text other to conclude that for such a badass, Odysseus is kind of a whiny jerk.

abbot31

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #467 on: September 18, 2015, 02:24:13 AM »
Shakespear

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #468 on: September 18, 2015, 06:46:57 AM »
e

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #469 on: September 18, 2015, 07:50:41 AM »
... and the rest is silence.

"Crossfire" from Nancy Kress.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: September 18, 2015, 07:59:38 AM »
Right now I am about half way through "The Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs Speculation" by John Bogle.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #471 on: September 18, 2015, 09:29:04 PM »
Starting Affluenza by John de Graaf, David Wann and Thomas Naylor.

loved this, I need to read it again

I am somehow still in that stupid Konomari book, I feel like the absolute laziest person on the planet because all my friends have done it, their lives were forever changed, and I'm thinking, do I really care if my life is forever changed? I'm glad I stuck with it until closer to the end when she talks about how she came to be the way she is, because frankly, I thought she was nuts. "Socks in balls never get to rest" and even though some of her stuff is likely from Japanese culture, just too much busy work.  I am not going to completely take everything out of my purse, put the stuff in a special box and put the purse in the closet even though it's my everyday purse.  Why?  I get cleaning out your purse at the end of the day but why all those steps?  because the purse has to rest. Since I have not done the process, I can't be critical but I find it kind of amazing that such a strange little book has taken off like it has, and good for her. Because I truly kept saying, "I am done with this", every time things got strange, like applauding the discard clothes. I am so non-Konomari, the book is 2 weeks overdue! lol   

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #472 on: September 18, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »
In my library book bag from our trip today:

"Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day" ~Hertzberg & Francois

"How to Mulch" ~Campbell and Kujawski

"Bread Revolution" ~Reinhart

"The End of Absence: Reclaiming What We've Lost in a World of Constant Connection" ~Harris

"The Plain Choice: A True Story of Choosing to Live an Amish Life" ~Gore

DVD: Season 1 of "Poldark"

Thanks to all the Mustachians who recommended these books! Let the weekend read-a-thon begin. Oh wait, I have to be a mom.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #473 on: September 19, 2015, 01:29:15 AM »
Destiny Betrayed by Jim DiEugenio

FrugalWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Wad
« Reply #474 on: September 19, 2015, 06:53:53 AM »
I just finished In A Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson. It's always interesting, comparing travelogues to pre and post blogging. I always read through any traveling journal now going where are the pictures?

I'm halfway through Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It's an interesting read. Cyberpunk is a new genre for me, and this is silly and entertaining.

I also just re-read Heroes Die by Matthew Stover for the umpteenth time. It's the first successful blending of science fiction and fantasy I've ever read, and it's become one of those kind of books I reread once a year.

I'm also halfway through Christopher Moore's Bloodsucking Fiends, because who says you can only read one book at a time?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #475 on: September 19, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Currently re-reading Lirael by Garth Nix. I read Sabriel-Lirael-Abhorsen at least once a year. Gotta love YA fantasy.

Checked out up "Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace" by Tamar Adler from my library. Gonna read this next. I've seen it recommended several times around the forums.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: September 19, 2015, 09:31:47 AM »
About halfway through Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem (my first of his non-sci-fi books). Just picked up the first trade paperback of Ms. Marvel from the library too - looking forward to it.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #477 on: September 19, 2015, 10:04:53 AM »
I'm halfway through Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It's an interesting read. Cyberpunk is a new genre for me, and this is silly and entertaining.
If you liked it you could try Diamond Age by him, I loved the idea of the (trying to not spoilering here) "revolutionary" book. Its a bit hard to digest, though, as often with Stephenson.

FrugalWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Wad
« Reply #478 on: September 19, 2015, 01:32:19 PM »
Just picked up the first trade paperback of Ms. Marvel from the library too - looking forward to it.

Is that for the new teenage Ms. Marvel that replaced Captain Marvel Carol Danvers? I'm looking to pick up more trades and omnibuses from the library, I'll have to add that to my list if it's worth reading.

If you liked it you could try Diamond Age by him, I loved the idea of the (trying to not spoilering here) "revolutionary" book. Its a bit hard to digest, though, as often with Stephenson.

Diamond Age is on my list, along with Neuromancer by William Gibson.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #479 on: September 19, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »
"Decisive", by Chip and Dan Heath.  It was mentioned somewhere on the forum - I can't remember where.  Sounded interesting, and it is.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #480 on: September 19, 2015, 06:01:48 PM »
About halfway through Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem (

I loved this book!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #481 on: September 19, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »

[/quote]

I read Wrinkle In Time, but I watched Watership Down as a tripped out LSD-dream 1970s animated film. JFC, that movie scarred me for life. Fuck rabbits.
[/quote]

I have to find that movie!

Fuman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #482 on: September 20, 2015, 12:54:00 AM »
Just finished The Great Bridge, by David McCullough, all about the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge.  Great book.

Just started Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson.  All about Chicago in the 1890s, the World's Fair there...and one of the first well-documented cases of a psychopathic serial killer in America.  Very good so far!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #483 on: September 20, 2015, 01:19:26 AM »
Fuman,

I won The Great Bridge in the adult summer reading club at our library! Glad to hear it was a good read; I haven't gotten to it yet. Hubs wants to read it too! Will share your good report.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #484 on: September 20, 2015, 11:08:21 AM »

Just started Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson.  All about Chicago in the 1890s, the World's Fair there...and one of the first well-documented cases of a psychopathic serial killer in America.  Very good so far!

Loved that book, too.  I loved the setting of the World's Fair and the information about Olmsted (we have a park he started and then the city stopped funding it) juxtaposed with the killing. His others were good. 

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #485 on: September 20, 2015, 11:15:03 AM »

I didn't like it the first time I read it (was rolling my eyes at all the "greet the house when you come home, rolled socks are in pain" etc) but there is a lot of useful stuff in there and I appreciated it more on a second read. The main takeaway points for me:
  • keep only the stuff that brings joy
  • sort by category not by room starting with clothes
  • keep t-shirts, socks and undies in drawers folded vertically

There are a few videos on youtube that show how to fold and an interesting talk Marie Kondo gave at Google that's worth a look.
[/quote]

thanks! I wish she had put all the stuff at the end about how she thinks she ended up this extreme in the beginning, then I would have understood better and been more invested in what she has to say.  It's one I will need to re-read when I am ready to start.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #486 on: September 20, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
Just picked up the first trade paperback of Ms. Marvel from the library too - looking forward to it.

Is that for the new teenage Ms. Marvel that replaced Captain Marvel Carol Danvers? I'm looking to pick up more trades and omnibuses from the library, I'll have to add that to my list if it's worth reading.

I liked it a lot! Ms. Marvel in this incarnation is a teenager, so you have to be OK with teenage plotlines like boys, school and fooling the parents about curfew, but her portrayal as a Muslim is very interesting and I thought well-done. I enjoyed reading them and look forward to sharing with one of my nieces who is just about to age out of kids' graphic novels.

"Decisive", by Chip and Dan Heath.  It was mentioned somewhere on the forum - I can't remember where.  Sounded interesting, and it is.

That may have been me...I really like both Decisive and the previous Heath Brothers book about getting people to do things differently, "Switch." I often see people agonizing about this or that on the forums and wish I could mail a copy of Decisive to their house.

Still on David Copperfield, the Odyssey and the Sign of Four (I had forgotten how much of his time Arthur Conan Doyle was...in the first Holmes book there is a very negative, stereotyped view of the Mormons, and in this one, I was really taken aback by the depiction of a native of the Andaman Islands.) Currently reading An Assembly Such as This by Pamela Aidan (retelling of Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's point of view) and Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #487 on: September 21, 2015, 03:43:16 AM »

I loved that book, the one he wrote about Dr Crippen was great too.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: September 21, 2015, 08:34:39 AM »

I loved that book, the one he wrote about Dr Crippen was great too.

Devil is a great one - I'm wrapping up Isaac's Storm (by Larson) as my audiobook on runs. Pretty great way to learn all about hurricanes and 19th century meteorology.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #489 on: September 22, 2015, 05:08:21 AM »
^ I haven't read that one. I started Dead Wake which was about the ship Lusitania, but I couldn't get into it as much as the others by him.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #490 on: September 23, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »
Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling - I'm disappointed this didn't get more fanfare, I've really enjoyed it and love that Rowling is stretching her wings beyond Harry Potter

I tried reading that Konomari book, I do enjoy minimalism and order but I wanted to stab the writer in the face with a rusty spoon.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #491 on: September 23, 2015, 01:13:34 PM »
I want to play!

I'm (re)reading The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis.

Before that, I read Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel. I really enjoyed it. Recommended to anyone who likes character driven SF or post-collapse novels. Think Riddley Walker and Canticle for Leibowitz , not John Ringo.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: September 23, 2015, 03:16:06 PM »
Currently re-reading Lirael by Garth Nix. I read Sabriel-Lirael-Abhorsen at least once a year. Gotta love YA fantasy.

Checked out up "Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace" by Tamar Adler from my library. Gonna read this next. I've seen it recommended several times around the forums.

I'm struggling with Everlasting Meal. I've only gotten through "boiling water", but I'm not sure this book will be for me. 1- I don't eat pasta or bread, and it seems like all her recommendations for cooking are "take the trimmings, boil, mix with butter, spread on bread/toss with pasta and olive oil". And then 2- I don't like her writing voice. She comes off as a bit smug or self-aggrandizing to me. Not sure why, it's very subtle, but she just kind of annoys me.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #493 on: September 24, 2015, 03:29:42 AM »
Just finished "Learning to Breathe Fire:  The Rise of CrossFit and the Primal Future of Fitness".  I enjoyed learning the history of the Crossfit movement and it resolved some issues I had with the 'sport' (kipping pullups, all workouts being about time/speed, cost of membership). 

I read 50 Shades of Gray a few years ago, recently saw the movie, then decided I wanted to know what happens next so I got the second book.  Got partway through and returned it.  As soon as the relationship started to heal the main character I lost interest... problem solved, and I didn't want to stick around for more drama.

I'm reading Dragonfly in Amber right now.  I read Outlander awhile ago, and now that I'm more interested in the series.  I'm not sure if I'll go on after this book though.

The older I get/plus having young kids I'm more likely to quit a book if I don't really like where it's going.  I don't have the time to waste on a story I can't get into.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #494 on: September 24, 2015, 04:31:32 AM »
How To Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, by Scott Adams.  Funny stuff... cuz it's true!

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #495 on: September 26, 2015, 06:39:59 PM »
I'm finishing up reading Martha Well's "The Wizard Hunters" series.  I read it in highschool several time, and rereading it reminded me how much I love the series and the author.

This is next in line.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #496 on: September 27, 2015, 07:59:23 AM »
I'm finishing up reading Martha Well's "The Wizard Hunters" series.  I read it in highschool several time, and rereading it reminded me how much I love the series and the author.

This is next in line.

Have you read them before? Because otherwise, I am going to be so excited if I catalyzed someone reading those books. They are just so dang good.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #497 on: September 27, 2015, 10:23:38 AM »
Yeah, they are another highschool era favourite, though I didn't read Sabriel until the end.  I really loved the Accross the Wall short stories too, but Lirael is definitely the highlight for me.  Tremaine (The Wizard Hunters), and Lirael are both characters that start off semi suicidal, but not so much from depression but from... ambivalence?  Not really the right word, but the multifaceted and often conflicting nature of both characters really resonated with me then and still do.

I also need to reread Patrick Rothfuss' books.  I read the first book, but the 4 years between release dates, and the yet to be released final book makes me think I should put that off until it finally comes out.  I'm packing up my room in my parents' house and seeing all the books again makes me want to do so much reading.  Diane Duane is there and was an anchor of my elementary school days (and still has yet to finish the series 32 years after the first book!), as was Tanya Huff and Mercedes Lackey (until I realized every book she has written is pretty much the same with different characters).

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #498 on: September 27, 2015, 11:06:44 AM »
I'm actually reading the first Harry Potter book.  I haven't read them yet.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #499 on: September 27, 2015, 12:25:30 PM »
Have you read them before? Because otherwise, I am going to be so excited if I catalyzed someone reading those books. They are just so dang good.

Hey Bracken_Joy, I've never read this series before. Just picked up the first book from the library. I'm a SF nerd, and I like YA novels. I have no idea how I've missed this series so consistently, but I did. So you do have one new convert.

As for Mercedes Lackey, her's were the first books I realized were derivative. At 12 I loved the gryphon series. At 13 I couldn't stand Magic's Pawn. The tone was just so cheesy. The plot predictable. I know it sounds weird to be fond of a negative moment, but it's the first time I remember having any sort of discernment.

Eirene: I love all things Connie Willis. Except Passages. I just couldn't get into that. I did buy Blackout and Passages in hardcover, so I hope that makes up for my above sins ;)