Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762413 times)

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #400 on: April 01, 2015, 08:08:53 AM »
I just finished watching(reading?) Brian Herbert rape the legacy of his fathers Dune saga.

I literally burned the book. I've rarely read such unimaginative, poorly written crap. I bet Frank is rolling in his grave.

So, now I'm reading Dune again, in the hopes that reading the whole series start to finish will purge my mind.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #401 on: April 13, 2015, 02:44:53 AM »
This thread, obviously

Nancy

« Reply #402 on: April 15, 2015, 07:00:11 AM »
Lapham's Quarterly "Foreigners" issue. so good.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: April 15, 2015, 08:39:09 AM »
Nearly sprained my eyes from all the eye-rolling it induced.  It read like a smug 20-something's self-indulgent blog about how broken everyone else is, especially boring old people who obviously live small unimportant lives, and how he has amazingly unlocked the key to vibrant living  (which seemed to mostly involve having the means and opportunity to do whatever the hell he wanted with his time, with no obligations to anyone else, except those he chose to accept in the moment).  Then proceeds to patronise you with his generously shared knowledge.

Ha ha, captures many of my own feelings. Once I became aware of it (rather than just seeing it) I'm surprised how much our culture worships the lack of obligations to other people as the key to happiness.

I'm reading The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu, terrific Kim Stanley Robinson-esque sf that starts in China during the Cultural Revolution. Wish I could find the review that prompted me to read it, it was something like Engadget or Wired but I don't want to google too much and get spoilers.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #404 on: April 15, 2015, 10:00:18 AM »
Nearly sprained my eyes from all the eye-rolling it induced.  It read like a smug 20-something's self-indulgent blog about how broken everyone else is, especially boring old people who obviously live small unimportant lives, and how he has amazingly unlocked the key to vibrant living  (which seemed to mostly involve having the means and opportunity to do whatever the hell he wanted with his time, with no obligations to anyone else, except those he chose to accept in the moment).  Then proceeds to patronise you with his generously shared knowledge.

Ha ha, captures many of my own feelings. Once I became aware of it (rather than just seeing it) I'm surprised how much our culture worships the lack of obligations to other people as the key to happiness.

I'm reading The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu, terrific Kim Stanley Robinson-esque sf that starts in China during the Cultural Revolution. Wish I could find the review that prompted me to read it, it was something like Engadget or Wired but I don't want to google too much and get spoilers.

Likely the exact review you're referring to: http://gizmodo.com/if-you-love-computers-this-novel-should-be-next-on-you-1686656889

After skimming that I added the link to my Evernote "Books to Read" file, so I had it already handy.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #405 on: April 15, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »

Likely the exact review you're referring to: http://gizmodo.com/if-you-love-computers-this-novel-should-be-next-on-you-1686656889

After skimming that I added the link to my Evernote "Books to Read" file, so I had it already handy.  :)

Ah ha ha, indeed! How clever of you.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #406 on: April 15, 2015, 11:12:42 AM »
I just finished "Homeward Bound: Why Women Are Embracing the New Domesticity" by Emily Matchar.  (http://www.amazon.com/Homeward-Bound-Women-Embracing-Domesticity/dp/1451665458
It was really good, but in some ways I wish she had delved even more deeply into the economic problems that women still face in the workplace and how that can make staying home seem like the most liberal, enlightened thing to do.  She focused more on the social aspects of it, which is also important, but left me wanting a bit more about the other side.
She never touched on the concept of early retirement, though she mentions financial independence as being important for women in particular quite a few times.  I did like that message.

Now re-reading "Anne of Green Gables" (love those books!) and "Cooked" by Michael Pollan.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #407 on: April 18, 2015, 08:46:55 AM »
"Dad is Fat" by Jim Gaffigan

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #408 on: April 18, 2015, 09:09:54 AM »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #409 on: August 07, 2015, 09:42:25 PM »
I'm a little sad this thread got buried for a months here. Earlier today I finally finished Sustainable Energy Without the Hot Air by David Mackay, as recommended in this thread by velocistar and others. It was truly exceptional. I think back of the envelope math is very important, and so just as I had a reference for a million people or a billion dollars I now have references for a gigaton of CO2 and a gigawatt-hour. When it comes to generation it makes a very persuasive case for nuclear and solar power even with back-of-the-envelope math. On the usage side of the equation it gave me better background to understand where we can blithely wave our hands and say "efficiency improvements are coming down the pike" and where we have very real problems even in the long term.

Then I read Orson Scott Card's Ender's Shadow. I LOVED the Ender's Game movie and so I read the book shortly afterwards. I have some downtime right now so I was going to read Children of the Mind but the library didn't have it, so I got Shadow instead. Man, I'm glad I did - it's a brilliant book and I like it at least as much as I enjoyed Ender's Game. I think I'm going to read the rest of the Shadow quintet within a week or so!

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #410 on: August 07, 2015, 09:49:41 PM »
Then I read Orson Scott Card's Ender's Shadow. I LOVED the Ender's Game movie and so I read the book shortly afterwards. I have some downtime right now so I was going to read Children of the Mind but the library didn't have it, so I got Shadow instead. Man, I'm glad I did - it's a brilliant book and I like it at least as much as I enjoyed Ender's Game. I think I'm going to read the rest of the Shadow quintet within a week or so!

Maaaaan you haven't read that storyline? Personally, I think it's better than the Speaker/Xenocide/Children grouping.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: August 07, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »
@Grantmeaname,

Thanks for resurrecting this thread! It used to be one of my go-to threads for great book recommendations!

I'm currently dividing my time between:

"The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson (I've lost 11 lbs so far -- lots more to go)
and "Natural Christmas Crafts" by Ilona Butterer

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: August 08, 2015, 03:19:14 AM »
I finally read The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins, it was very readable although a very familiar storyline. I guessed the so-called twist early on.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: August 08, 2015, 07:12:18 AM »
Woo! Glad this thread came back.

I'm reading: The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luehrs (Luhers?)
and
"The Happiness of Pursuit" by Chris Guillabeau

(Bonus points: the top one I bought at a Goodwill for $3, the bottom I got for free from my local Buy Nothing Group).

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #414 on: August 08, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »
just finished The Rocks by Peter Nichols, very good

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #415 on: August 08, 2015, 05:08:28 PM »
The Mistborn trilogy! Writing is patchy in parts, but it's very enjoyable.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #416 on: August 10, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman

It's fascinating so far.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #417 on: August 10, 2015, 09:32:48 PM »
Lessons from the Mouse by Dennis Snow

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: August 11, 2015, 03:34:20 AM »
The Warren Buffet Portfolio via audiobook from library

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: August 11, 2015, 06:13:28 AM »
My friend's YA novel (draft only), which is SO GOOD. Which will make feedback easy :-)

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: August 11, 2015, 07:27:52 AM »
I just got a gig writing about 1970s stuff for a new website, so I'm re-reading a bunch of 70s-era YA novels that blew my fragile little mind at the time. Just finished Farmer Boy and am in the middle of My Side of the Mountain, where a kid runs away and lives on his own in the forest. Next up is From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler, where two kids run away and live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a time.

As a child, I guess I really got into the kids-running-away-from-home-and-having-adventures genre.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #421 on: August 11, 2015, 07:30:05 AM »
Two very different books: The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. I knew nothing about this book when I picked it up other than that it was recommended by a book blog I liked. It is about the fourth and neglected son of the Elvish Emperor who suddenly inherits the throne when his father and three older brothers die in an airship accident (yes, these are steampunk elves). Normally I am not a fan of court intrigue books (historical or fantasy) but I loved this and read it in one day. Maia, the protagonist, is one of the most likable and sympathetic characters I have read in recent memory.

Also, Dancers Among Us by Jordan Matter. This is a photography book in which the photographer worked with professional dancers to pose in street clothes and everyday settings, but using their bodies in ways that would be completely impossible for regular people. It's hard to explain but magical to see.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #422 on: August 11, 2015, 08:08:01 AM »
I just got a gig writing about 1970s stuff for a new website, so I'm re-reading a bunch of 70s-era YA novels that blew my fragile little mind at the time. Just finished Farmer Boy and am in the middle of My Side of the Mountain, where a kid runs away and lives on his own in the forest. Next up is From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler, where two kids run away and live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a time.

As a child, I guess I really got into the kids-running-away-from-home-and-having-adventures genre.

Oh man, me too! In some ways that's what my adult life feels like. I finally get to have adventures!

This came out in '66, not the 70s, but I read it several times as a kid. Not sure where I got the copy.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17451229-children-in-hiding?from_search=true&search_version=service

Oh here's another one I remember and it was published in '76 is The Toothpaste Millionaire. Not about run-aways but about children using the free market :) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3201426-the-toothpaste-millionaire

Except what I was trying to find was one from the same period where some kids had a treehouse that they got to fly. And then they kind of hold themselves hostage to get their demands met by their parents. By the end they ask for world peace.

Anyway, not relevant to the thread, or, probably, missmadge's work. As you were.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #423 on: August 11, 2015, 08:23:59 AM »

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #424 on: August 11, 2015, 08:47:20 AM »
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-book-club/the-martian/

Read it over the weekend. Enjoyed it a lot.

Great book. A little terrified of the film adaptation, though. I'm concerned they won't be able to carry the dark humor of the book, which seems to almost completely derive from the journal, first-person narrative.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #425 on: August 11, 2015, 08:54:23 AM »

Oh man, me too! In some ways that's what my adult life feels like. I finally get to have adventures!

This came out in '66, not the 70s, but I read it several times as a kid. Not sure where I got the copy.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17451229-children-in-hiding?from_search=true&search_version=service

Oh here's another one I remember and it was published in '76 is The Toothpaste Millionaire. Not about run-aways but about children using the free market :) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3201426-the-toothpaste-millionaire

Except what I was trying to find was one from the same period where some kids had a treehouse that they got to fly. And then they kind of hold themselves hostage to get their demands met by their parents. By the end they ask for world peace.

Anyway, not relevant to the thread, or, probably, missmadge's work. As you were.

Ooh! I'm going to look these up!

The books I'm writing about came out pre-1970, but my reading of them took place in the 70s, so I guess they are close enough :)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: August 12, 2015, 11:09:21 AM »

rad. author rigorously supports the idea that the human experience of conscious will is not causative of the actions we experience as willed

bad. author takes overly dramatic walks in some less forgiving environments while making unsubstantiated claims about how humanity could be ended by climate change (and I mean I agree with him, but come on dude appeal to authority doesn't get you anywhere). And it's all ok because extinction cycles are natural! Yeah no shit it's natural, that's not a useful conclusion.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #427 on: August 12, 2015, 11:24:03 AM »
The Art of Choosing by Sheena Iyangar

Too many choices can make you miserable. Great TED talk that covers some of the key points:
http://www.ted.com/talks/sheena_iyengar_on_the_art_of_choosing?language=en

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: August 12, 2015, 11:25:50 AM »
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

Good book and puts the history of scientific understanding into perspective.  Entertaining as well. 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #429 on: August 12, 2015, 03:44:49 PM »

Maaaaan you haven't read that storyline? Personally, I think it's better than the Speaker/Xenocide/Children grouping.
I've now read the first three of the Ender quintet, the first three of the Bean quintet, and the first two of the first Formic War trilogy. I agree, the Shadow quintet is the better one. I thought Speaker for the Dead was the worst book of the eight I've read - I have no idea how it deserved a Hugo and Nebula, and I say that as a HUGE card fan. But the Bean books, Ender's Exile, and Earth Unaware/Afire are all really nice science fiction.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: August 12, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »

Good book and puts the history of scientific understanding into perspective.  Entertaining as well.

That's such a great book! I read it several years ago and still use many of his analogies for teaching! Very good at putting extremely complex ideas into lay mans terms.

It is really good...the sad thing is that sometimes after his analogies I'm still like, "I don't get it."  Ha!  But yes, he does a great job of explaining the complex. 

freeedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #431 on: August 13, 2015, 08:22:29 AM »
The Moral Animal: Why We Are, The Way We Are

It's about evolutionary psychology. Very good.

FI40

• Stubble
« Reply #432 on: August 13, 2015, 09:23:04 AM »
Some recent ones:

Stephen King's Dark Tower series - on the 2nd one now, I'm not sure what genre it is, I'm listening to the audiobooks though and the narrator makes it awesome. I listen to it before I go to bed and it's like a wise old man telling you a kickass story. Like Deckard Cain but more badass.
Dave Duncan's Seventh Sword series - mindless entertainment, I really enjoyed this.
Ernest Cline: Ready Player One and Armada - more mindless entertainment, I enjoyed them.
Neal Stephenson: Snow Crash - I had heard he does a ton of research on topics he writes about (in this one, digital logic, hacking, linguistics and neurology I guess?) so that it's more realistic, but the plot still came across as extremely far fetched to me and the characters weren't believable so it was just a silly story and not super entertaining.
What to expect - the first year - haven't quite finished it yet, it's a bit of a slog since not everything applies (lots of details about specific problems you may encounter)
Healthy sleep habits, happy babies - just starting this, hopefully I can teach the little guy to sleep well!
Henry Hazlitt's Economics in one lesson - Austrian economics. Makes a lot of sense to me, it's somewhat repetitive though, the same principles applied to a bunch of different situations.
Jacob Lund Fisker - Early Retirement Extreme - enjoyed the first couple chapters the most, where he basically destroys the typical north american life of being a silly consumer. The book got very philosophical in the middle. I think he has an interesting mind, very pure in a way.
Steven Erikson - Malazan series - I got 2 books into this one, and can't handle it. Too much unexplained, things don't make much sense and it seems like there are very few rules to the magic system. I guess I don't have the patience for it.

About Ender's game, I noticed some folks mentioned those - yeah they're awesome! I have read most of the series except for the more recent "first formic war" series I think.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #433 on: August 17, 2015, 05:23:59 PM »
Radiant Angel..Nelson DeMille (Me)
Holes...Louis Sachar (Reding it to kid #1)
All Creatures Great and Small....James Herriot (Reading to kid #2)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #434 on: August 17, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »
Radical Homemakers by Shannon Hayes. Recommended by our very own The Goblin Chief. And borrowed from my library. MMM away!

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: August 17, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption, by Bryan Stevenson. It is straight-up depressing, but in a "we can still band together as a society and fix this" way, not a "there's no hope, let's cry ourselves to sleep" way (most of the time). Highly recommended.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #436 on: August 18, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »
Choose Yourself by James Altucher

Love Yourself Like Your LIfe Depends on It by Kamal Ravikant

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #437 on: August 18, 2015, 03:28:55 PM »

For a real mustachian thrill, check out the Audiobook from your library. Easier to enjoy in a car/bus/train than a bike, but it can be done. Cool to listen to the Author's own voice. I also really liked "At Home".

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #438 on: August 20, 2015, 11:18:19 PM »
+1 to the Bill Bryson "At Home" and "Short History..." recommendations.

Am going to have to check out Radical Homemakers

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #439 on: August 21, 2015, 10:58:26 AM »
+1 to the Bill Bryson "At Home" and "Short History..." recommendations.

Am going to have to check out Radical Homemakers

I'm halfway through now. It's set up in two sections- the first is the ideological implications and history. WAY more interesting than I thought it would be. I am NOT a social scientist, but I still really enjoy the content. Gearing up for reading part 2, which is the interviews with the Radical Homemakers.

I like the idea of thrift, home conservation efforts, and building an "urban tribe" (like the latest MMM post so perfectly put it) being radical social acts with major political implications.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #440 on: August 23, 2015, 09:42:31 PM »
Reading this (from the library, of course)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #441 on: August 24, 2015, 01:16:45 AM »
How is it?

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #442 on: August 24, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »
How is it?

So far, nothing I didn't already know. Some good ideas about a daily "hit sheet" to get stuff done, but mostly, it's Mustachianism. Covers budget, lifestyle, work/life balance, decluttering, time management, etc.

Pretty solid.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #443 on: August 24, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
Reading Wired for War by Peter Singer.  It is for my work, so provided for free!

brainfart

• Stubble
« Reply #444 on: August 24, 2015, 05:35:24 PM »
Ordered "Dual Momentum Investing" from Amazon yesterday. Hope it will arrive soon.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #445 on: August 25, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »
small is the new big, Seth Godin

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #446 on: August 25, 2015, 12:51:33 PM »
small is the new big, Seth Godin

ahoy

• Stubble
« Reply #447 on: August 26, 2015, 11:43:58 PM »
I have read this book probably 4 times in the past and am reading it again now.  Its an incredible, shocking and heart breaking story.   

"La Prisonniere" Twenty years in a desert Gaol.   By Malika Oufkir and Michele Fitoussi

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #448 on: August 27, 2015, 09:30:21 AM »
Sam Lustgarten's Frugaling: save more, live well, give generously

(Ironically, I accidentally bought this for $2.99 for my kindle, thinking amazon unlimited was included in prime- it is not)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #449 on: August 27, 2015, 11:00:47 PM »

Madeleine L'Engle- a Wrinkle in Time.  Bridge to Terebithia. Watership Down.  Can I have your job, please?  I hope it's awesome for you!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!