Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762460 times)

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #300 on: September 30, 2014, 06:08:42 AM »
In the middle of reading both Expected Returns on Major Asset Classes by Antti Ilmanen and These Are The Voyages: TOS Season One by Marc Cushman.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #301 on: September 30, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »
The Cabal Brothers by Jonathan Howard. Book 4 in the continueing adventures of Johannes Cabal, Necromancer. Love the series, it is very tongue in cheek with a loveable anti-hero who operates on a very strict moral compass, it just doesn't point quite the same direction as most peoples.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #302 on: October 01, 2014, 08:13:08 AM »
I read Influx by Daniel Suarez two days ago. It was quite good.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #303 on: October 01, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »
My stack of library books overfloweth...

The Story of Stuff - Annie Leonard
Excellent Sheep:  The Miseducation of the American Elite and the Way to a Meaningful Life - William Deresiewicz
The Gleaners and I (DVD)
Overdressed:  The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion - Elizabeth Cline
Learned Optimism - Martin Seligman

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #304 on: October 07, 2014, 09:57:44 AM »
I'm on to my third Gene Logsdon book now: The Contrary Farmer, You Can Go Home Again, and All Flesh is Grass.

Really, a fundamentally Mustachian dude, who left a well-paying job to live back home on 30 acres. The best writer I've discovered in the last year or two. Great if you are into the enviro stuff as well.

swallowtail

« Reply #305 on: October 07, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »
Just finished up "Wise Blood" by Flannery O'Conner.  Now reading "Dune" for the first time; a short story collection called "The Empathy Exams".

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #306 on: October 07, 2014, 08:00:03 PM »
The new Rick Riordan book, The Blood of Olympus! About halfway through and enjoying it.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: October 08, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »
Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell Esselstyn (the guy from the DVD "Forks over Knives" and Sanjay Gupta's CNN special "The Last Heart Attack")

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #308 on: October 09, 2014, 08:25:42 AM »
Finally finished the Jefferson monstrosity, moved on to A Walk In The Woods, by Bryson, it's super funny so far.

I'm reading Neither Here Nor There by Bryson.    He cracks me up.  Loved Walk in the Woods and The Lost Continent.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: October 13, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »
The Newgate Calendar or Malefactors' Bloody Register containing: Genuine and Circumstantial Narrative of the lives and transactions, various exploits and Dying Speeches of the Most Notorious Criminals of both sexes who suffered Death Punishment in Gt. Britain and Ireland for High Treason, Petty Treason, Murder, Piracy, Felony, Thieving, Highway Robberies, Forgery, Rapes, Bigamy, Burglaries, Riots, and various other horrid crimes and misdemeanours on a plan entirely new, wherein will be fully displayed the regular progress from virtue to vice interspersed with striking reflexions on the conduct of those unhappy wretches who have fallen a sacrifice to the laws of their country

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: October 13, 2014, 11:58:32 PM »
Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson.  Ties in nicely with MMM philosophy, minimalism, decluttering, consumerism.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: November 28, 2014, 12:01:19 AM »
I'm on to my third Gene Logsdon book now: The Contrary Farmer, You Can Go Home Again, and All Flesh is Grass.

I picked up A Sanctuary of Trees and enjoyed it, thanks for the rec!

Just started Zero to One by Peter Thiel, co-founder of Paypal. Really interesting so far.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #312 on: November 28, 2014, 01:17:30 AM »
Finished Bones Never Lie by Kathy Reichs this afternoon. Those books are surprisingly good.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #313 on: November 28, 2014, 01:55:11 AM »
Little Women

I need to figure out what classic to do next.

If you haven't read it yet, consider Les Miserable.  It's a real page-turner.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #314 on: November 28, 2014, 02:06:59 AM »
SEARCHING FOR MY FATHER, TYRONE POWER by Romina Power

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #315 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:04 AM »
I've been reading "Early Retirement Extreme" after getting a copy from the library.  So far, it has some interesting tidbits, but, wow, it is ever dry.  I guess not everyone has the writing skills of MMM.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #316 on: November 28, 2014, 09:49:24 AM »

I picked up A Sanctuary of Trees and enjoyed it, thanks for the rec!

Just started Zero to One by Peter Thiel, co-founder of Paypal. Really interesting so far.

Awesome. Glad you hear you liked it. I have that out from the library and haven't started it. Today is the day!

(Also, you might like "American Canopy" which is a history of trees in the (European) US. Really well written and fascinating.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:55:23 AM by senecando »

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #317 on: December 01, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
American Gods by Neil Gaiman

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #318 on: December 01, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »
American Gods by Neil Gaiman

That's a good one.

I''m currently reading The Red Winter, the final book of the Tapestry Series, as well as Write. Publish. Repeat.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #319 on: December 01, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »
I've been reading "Early Retirement Extreme" after getting a copy from the library.  So far, it has some interesting tidbits, but, wow, it is ever dry.  I guess not everyone has the writing skills of MMM.
Agree.  Jacob's a superb analyst -- better than MMM in many ways -- but I can't argue with your writing-quality observation, which is spot-on.  Sometimes the poor quality is so distracting that it takes something away from his points, whereas Pete appears much more accessible and friendly.

I'm going through the Kurt Wallander series by Henning Mankell.  It's Swedish Detective stuff, somehow managing to be both fun and bleak at the same time. 

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: December 01, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »
Just finished "Better Off" by Eric Bernde.  It's about a couple that live without electricity for about 18 months growing their own food, having a kid, ect.  They did have a car but got rid of it half way through.

The author wanted to explore humanities adoption and use of technology.  I thought it was very interesting and a lot of the concepts of MMM like muscle over motor converge with the main themes of the book.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: December 01, 2014, 12:38:59 PM »
Right now I'm reading The Gunslinger, the first book of the Dark Tower series, and so far I'm really uncomfortable with the descriptions of women - they're either Madonnas or whores.  I'd really like to lose myself in a fantasy series right now, but I guess this one isn't going to be it.  I'll finish this book but am pretty sure I'm not going to stick with the series unless this turns around dramatically.  Any other fantasy series suggestions? 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #322 on: December 02, 2014, 07:59:16 AM »
Lois McMaster Bujold, sharing knife series and Challion series

Right now I'm reading The Gunslinger, the first book of the Dark Tower series, and so far I'm really uncomfortable with the descriptions of women - they're either Madonnas or whores.  I'd really like to lose myself in a fantasy series right now, but I guess this one isn't going to be it.  I'll finish this book but am pretty sure I'm not going to stick with the series unless this turns around dramatically.  Any other fantasy series suggestions?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #323 on: December 02, 2014, 08:03:54 AM »
I'm listening to Chris Hadfield read his book (An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth).  It is like being in the room with him, listening to him reminisce.    Wonderful book (well, CD), highly recommend it, especially for the perspective of a high achiever looking at work/life balance and family relationships and all that.  I've only heard the first 2 CDs, am really looking forward to the next 5.

Too bad we don't have write in ballots, I would love to have him as PM.  But he probably wouldn't take the job.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #324 on: December 02, 2014, 08:37:37 PM »
"The World Until Yesterday" is Jared Diamond's third book in the trilogy that includes "Guns, Germs, and Steel" and "Collapse", both of which which I enjoyed slightly more than this latest one.

The TL;DR summary is that human civilization is only about 10,000 years old, but humanity itself was thriving nicely for several million years before that in a very different world, one without governments, without literacy, without obesity.  And he thinks modern humans can learn something from our former way of life, which he explains by looking at modern primitive societies like those of Papua New Guinea, whose people were still using stone tools and living in complete isolation from the rest of humanity in 1930 but today have internet and airports.

He acknowledges that the lifestyles of these tribes are in some ways brutal.  They are more vulnerable to sickness and violence than modern city dwellers, for example, but on the other hand they have never heard of diabetes or heart disease.  They just don't get fat.  I thought that the the MMM forum's strong paleo crowd might appreciate his discussion of why that is.  (Hint: you won't be surprised to learn that modern humans eat a lot of things our bodies don't want.)

He also talks about the way these societies treat their elderly, how they raise their children, how they settle disputes, and how they wage wars.  In most cases, he thinks primitive societies do these things better than modern societies.

The first book in the triology was about why European civilization grew to colonize the world, rather than Africans or Native Americans.  The second was about how major civilizations of the past have failed and disappeared.  This one is about how civilizations change over time, for better or worse, when they grow enough to support bureaucrats and politicians.  As such, I think it has slightly less sweeping conclusions.  The first two books say something important about humanity, and will change the way you see the world.  The third is an interesting afterthought, but not quite so life changing.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #325 on: December 03, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
Working my way through Octavia E. Butler's books. I've read six of them now and am trying to savor them rather than racing through because there are only six more I haven't read!

Over the weekend I read "Parable of the Sower" and "Parable of the Talents" and they are breathtaking in their depth, their brutality, and their clarity. Butler's teenage protagonist survives the slow-motion apocalypse of the early 2020s and creates a hard-ass religion that has exactly zero supernatural aspects, and you see how it all plays out in the chaos of the world around her.

I'm so inspired by Butler's work -- I haven't been this into an author in a very long time. It's really a tragedy that she died so young, without getting to finish the Parable series ...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: December 03, 2014, 01:50:53 PM »
About to start a few Bogle books that I ordered in at the library. Some good Christmas holiday reading here :-)

killingxspree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #327 on: December 03, 2014, 06:41:39 PM »
Written in Red by Anne Bishop.
hm. I'm having mixed feelings about it.

I tried to read influx a while ago but couldn't get past all the detail at the beginning ... i hope the tediousness wore off.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: December 22, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »
In the middle of "Underground History of American Education" by John Taylor Gatto.  The premise of the book discusses the true origin of formal Schooling and it's current format.  One of the author's main points is why schools were developed in the first place, according to him it was because of industrial titans such as Carnegie and Rockefeller that needed workers.  But not just any worker, the had no use for individuals that knew how to be self sufficient and be independent thinkers, they needed individuals that were trained to listen and do specialized/menial work for long periods of time, sound familiar?  So they funded the think thanks and universities to promote structured schooling in America and get politicians and families to support compulsory schooling.  Now children spent most of their time away from their parents and stop learning basic skills to be self-sufficient.  They would need jobs provided by the corporations to make a living.

I admit it goes down the conspiracy theorist path, but the evidence to his arguments are pretty strong.  Why do we still have an education problem after all the money that we spend in schools?  Why is our graduation rates so poor?  Why do so many students that enter college need remedial classes now?  Why are high school students on average only reading at a 5th grade level?  Makes one think.

Full disclosure:  We are unschooling our children because we don't agree with how our current school system works, like tracking, letting kids advance to the next grade even though they are clearly not ready to make room for the next batch of kids, and emphasis on teaching to the test.  But it never occurred to me that
 it was by design and not just systematic flaws of the schooling system.

MustachianAccountant

• Bristles
« Reply #329 on: December 23, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »
I'm reading Under The Dome by Stephen King, after my daughter got into the TV show.
Never read any Stephen King before, but (while a bit violent) it is quite good.
Certainly better than the TV show... :-)

MustachianAccountant

• Bristles
« Reply #330 on: December 23, 2014, 02:07:14 PM »

The Dresden Series by Jim Butcher is very good. The protagonist is a wizard, but he works as a private eye in modern day Chicago. So fantasy/hard boiled detective. The first book is Storm Front.

He also has a traditional fantasy series called The Codex Alera, which starts with The Furies of Calderon.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #331 on: December 23, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »
"All You Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan" by Elizabeth Warren and Amelia Warren Tyagi. Its quite good. Recommended here on the forum.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #332 on: December 23, 2014, 03:44:48 PM »
How To Win Friends and Influence People-Dale Carnegie.

A pretty interesting book, and very easy to pick up at any spot rather than read in order-good for my short attention span lately. A nice eye opener in that so much of the book halts one from the initial action or reaction to exmine what it is we really want and gives strategies to go about attaining that.  It feels more like a book that should be titled "How to get what you want without looking like an a-hole," which I have zero problem with. The only problem I have with the book is a the fact that none of these strategies work on unreasonable people. I guess the only solution in those cases is to waste less time on them and focus on the interactions with probable success.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #333 on: December 24, 2014, 07:55:05 AM »
Frozen Heat, by "Richard Castle". This is one in the series of mysteries that tie in to the "Castle" TV series. Great fun, total fluff. I get them at the library.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #334 on: December 24, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
How To Win Friends and Influence People-Dale Carnegie.

A pretty interesting book, and very easy to pick up at any spot rather than read in order-good for my short attention span lately. A nice eye opener in that so much of the book halts one from the initial action or reaction to exmine what it is we really want and gives strategies to go about attaining that.  It feels more like a book that should be titled "How to get what you want without looking like an a-hole," which I have zero problem with. The only problem I have with the book is a the fact that none of these strategies work on unreasonable people. I guess the only solution in those cases is to waste less time on them and focus on the interactions with probable success.
You can get it for one buck in a (used) book together with "how to stop worrying and start living".
I highly recommend that chance, got the bundle without knowing, wanted only the first because several mustachians were fans of it.

At the moment I read nothing, because I get the bungaku shoujo light novels in a short time :D
I just love Tohko. \\ (o.o) // I hope the books are as good as the anime.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #335 on: December 24, 2014, 09:35:43 AM »
My Kindle Unlimited Queue (for those without KU, it's 10 books) is basically made up of half Science Fiction and half Personal Finance/Investing/Retirement books. I am the weirdest reader ever.

hred17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #336 on: December 26, 2014, 05:35:43 AM »
I love this topic!  I am reading 'The Luminaries'  by Eleanor Catton. Very, very good so far.

I read very fast which many may think is a blessing but I find it to be a bit of a curse as I tend to finish books too quickly. This book is 832 pages of small print which has me very excited as it should take me some time to get through it. :-)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: December 26, 2014, 06:34:34 AM »
Death of a Policeman, the latest M.C. Beaton mystery in the long-running Hamish MacBeth series. Just fluff…light entertainment…I admire everyone who is reading "heavy" stuff, but I just want my fluff.

hred17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #338 on: December 26, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »
"I admire everyone who is reading "heavy" stuff, but I just want my fluff."

I completely understand! A friend once told me that books were not worth reading unless they were 'hard' as it made you a better person. Frankly, my job is hard and mentally taxing enough. I'll take fluff any day!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #339 on: December 26, 2014, 01:18:23 PM »
Both.
Thats the key. Fluff when you need, rows of numbers when you need, tears when you need.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: December 26, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »
Over the weekend I read "Parable of the Sower" and "Parable of the Talents" and they are breathtaking in their depth, their brutality, and their clarity. Butler's teenage protagonist survives the slow-motion apocalypse of the early 2020s and creates a hard-ass religion that has exactly zero supernatural aspects, and you see how it all plays out in the chaos of the world around her.

Thanks for the rec. A friend who died this summer was a big Octavia Butler fan so I meant to read some but wasn't sure where to jump in. I agree, Parable of the Sower seems terrific so far.

I'm also reading A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor about his walk across Europe in 1933.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #341 on: December 26, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »
I'm re (re-re-re) reading my copy of the Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn at the moment.

Brilliant.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: December 26, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »
I'm re (re-re-re) reading my copy of the Complete Tightwad Gazette

What a GREAT idea!

Many years ago, when I first acquired my copies (on a clearance table, no less -- after I'd taken them out from the library at least ten times) I used to read through all 3 of them once a year.  This was when the TWG came in 3 volumes.

I haven't read through them in about 5 years -- I'm always on the lookout for the next new book on frugality/pf. I need to get back to my frugal roots and the TWG is where its at! Thanks for the reminder @homehandymum!

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #343 on: December 27, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »
Adam Bradley & Andrew DuBois - the Anthology of Rap (slowly but surely)

various small/tiny house and modular home websites... thinking real hard about buying a small plot of land and building one next summer. Not being able to build or change anything in this apartment is killing me, plus it would have hella ROI

Really?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #344 on: December 28, 2014, 06:19:28 AM »
Since it's bowl season I'm doing some football reading. I just finished Friday Night Lights, which is brilliant. Before that I was reading The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football, which is kinda like Economics Explained in that it's a couple decades old but still the best book on its topic. Next up: The Blind Side. Michael Lewis is the freaking best.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #345 on: December 28, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
Since it's bowl season I'm doing some football reading. I just finished Friday Night Lights, which is brilliant. Before that I was reading The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football, which is kinda like Economics Explained in that it's a couple decades old but still the best book on its topic. Next up: The Blind Side. Michael Lewis is the freaking best.

Check out The Games that Changed the Game.

www.amazon.com/The-Games-That-Changed-Game/dp/0345517962

I have the ePub if you'd like to borrow it.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #346 on: December 28, 2014, 06:27:56 PM »
I am reading "The Maze Runner" because reading is fun.  When I am done with this, I might read the "Divergent" series, because why not?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #347 on: December 28, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »
I just finished Shaman Rises (C. E. Murphy, end of the Urban Shaman series) and Midnight Crossroad (Charlaine Harris), am in the middle of "The Everyday Squash Cook" (yes it is about the vegetable) and just started "Who We Are" (Elizabeth May).  I have "Irresponsible Government: The Decline of Parliamentary Democracy in Canada" (Brent Rathgeber) and "Party of One" (Michael Harris) on hold - after all, there will be an election in October and I need to be prepared.

I am an eclectic reader. Does it show?  And I read fast, which is a pain because it is so easy to run out of things to read.  I could easily post three new books here every week.

And I really have to reiterate that Chris Hadfield's book (or better yet the CDs) "The Astronaut's guide to Life on Earth" is a must read.  This guy is amazing, inspiring, etc.   Pieces of wisdom - aspire to be a zero. Sweat the small stuff.  And quiet humour: How do you get 30 rowdy drunk Canadians out of a swimming pool? He tells you how.

roxaneday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #348 on: December 28, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »
Widow for One Year by John Irving
Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve
The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
I love Kidd's writing style and ability to craft believable and memorable characters.  Shreve is always a good read. Irving, however, loves the sound of his own written voice a little too much.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #349 on: December 29, 2014, 07:20:40 AM »

Check out The Games that Changed the Game.

www.amazon.com/The-Games-That-Changed-Game/dp/0345517962

I have the ePub if you'd like to borrow it.
That's actually the next paper book I'm reading, I've got it right after the Blind Side!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!