Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762409 times)

basd

• Stubble
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #200 on: July 16, 2014, 11:49:50 PM »
Thirded. Does anyone know whether McMurtry's other books with the same protagonists are just as good? I know Lonesome Dove is a classic (and I loved reading it) but would like to know whether his other books are worth loading onto my ereader for the summer holidays.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #201 on: July 17, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
I'm currently reading 600 hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster.  It is a quirky story about Edward, a 39 year old man who suffers from Asperger's and OCD.  Details below, I am really enjoying the book in part because my middle son has Autism.

"A thirty-nine-year-old with Asperger’s syndrome and obsessive-compulsive disorder, Edward Stanton lives alone on a rigid schedule in the Montana town where he grew up. His carefully constructed routine includes tracking his most common waking time (7:38 a.m.), refusing to start his therapy sessions even a minute before the appointed hour (10:00 a.m.), and watching one episode of the 1960s cop show Dragnet each night (10:00 p.m.).

But when a single mother and her nine-year-old son move in across the street, Edward’s timetable comes undone. Over the course of a momentous 600 hours, he opens up to his new neighbors and confronts old grievances with his estranged parents. Exposed to both the joys and heartaches of friendship, Edward must ultimately decide whether to embrace the world outside his door or retreat to his solitary ways.

Heartfelt and hilarious, this moving novel will appeal to fans of Daniel Keyes’s classic Flowers for Algernon and to any reader who loves an underdog."

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »
Thirded. Does anyone know whether McMurtry's other books with the same protagonists are just as good? I know Lonesome Dove is a classic (and I loved reading it) but would like to know whether his other books are worth loading onto my ereader for the summer holidays.

I'd like to hear the response to this too.  I'm only 10% into Lonesome Dove but I love it so much and I never ever want it to end.  That said, I don't want to read inferior sequels/prequels/whatever they are. 

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »

avonlea

« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2014, 11:59:59 AM »
I'm currently reading 600 hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster.  It is a quirky story about Edward, a 39 year old man who suffers from Asperger's and OCD.  Details below, I am really enjoying the book in part because my middle son has Autism.

"A thirty-nine-year-old with Asperger’s syndrome and obsessive-compulsive disorder, Edward Stanton lives alone on a rigid schedule in the Montana town where he grew up. His carefully constructed routine includes tracking his most common waking time (7:38 a.m.), refusing to start his therapy sessions even a minute before the appointed hour (10:00 a.m.), and watching one episode of the 1960s cop show Dragnet each night (10:00 p.m.).

But when a single mother and her nine-year-old son move in across the street, Edward’s timetable comes undone. Over the course of a momentous 600 hours, he opens up to his new neighbors and confronts old grievances with his estranged parents. Exposed to both the joys and heartaches of friendship, Edward must ultimately decide whether to embrace the world outside his door or retreat to his solitary ways.

Heartfelt and hilarious, this moving novel will appeal to fans of Daniel Keyes’s classic Flowers for Algernon and to any reader who loves an underdog."

That sounds really good.  I've added it to my book list.

Have you read Born On A Blue Day by Daniel Tammet?  He's an autistic savant.  The book is a lovely memoir in and of itself, but I personally appreciated his recounting of how he perceived events during his childhood and adolescence.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2014, 01:13:17 PM »
I am most of the way through reading a hilarious book called "Enjoy the Decline" written by Aaron Clarey, who I have to guess is some kind of political satirist like on The Daily Show.  The book suggests that America is in decline and everyone needs to load up on guns and supplies for when society breaks down so we can fight off the roving gangs of marauders like "Mad Max".  Clarey suggests that people should earn as little money as possible so they can live the good life on welfare, because nothing is more fun than eating canned chili every night in section 8 housing in the middle of gangland where you can risk getting shot every night on your way to the free clothing bin at Catholic Charities, right?  Clarey also says that you shouldn't invest money or save for retirement, because a better solution is to commit suicide.

I'm about two thirds of the way through the book right now, but I'm hoping there are some more funny gags coming up.  I haven't read something this hilarious since I read Sarah Palin's latest book.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2014, 03:02:52 PM »
Just finished Adam Carolla's 'President Me'. A very entertaining read from one of my favourite American comedians. It's basically a description of what he would do if he were president of the US. Very funny, even for a non-US citizen such as myself.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »

Is this the first time you're reading it?

Admittedly I read it very young... But it had a huge impact on me. It's a classic for a reason.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »
Is this the first time you're reading it?

yup

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »
"What the Dog Saw" by Malcolm Gladwell...won it at the library!

My name was drawn this week in the Adult Summer Reading Club that runs concurrently with the kids and teens Summer Reading Clubs.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2014, 07:29:06 PM »

I'd like to hear the response to this too.  I'm only 10% into Lonesome Dove but I love it so much and I never ever want it to end.  That said, I don't want to read inferior sequels/prequels/whatever they are.

They are not as good. I was perfectly entertained by them, and they don't make Lonesome Dove any worse in retrospect (there's a pretty awful plot twist right at the beginning of Streets of Laredo, though) but I'm not sure they were needed. That's my opinion. I read them in the order they were written (so chronologically, story 4 then 1 then 2).

The Hamster

• Stubble
  • Vivere intus vestri mediis
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2014, 07:49:59 PM »
"Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella

Its aptly about a 20something London financial journalist who has no interest in finance and can't stop spending money she doesn't have on designer clothes, shoes, handbags etc etc and has to avoid her creditors.  I've just gotten to the part where she lands a job on a morning TV show helping other people with their debt and finance issues.

Very light and fluffy and the lead character makes my blood boil and deserves all the facepunches but it's a fun read very typical of Sophie Kinsella's books.

(And no, I didn't spend any money to buy it - copied it off someones computer hard drive)

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2014, 12:13:01 AM »

They are not as good. I was perfectly entertained by them, and they don't make Lonesome Dove any worse in retrospect (there's a pretty awful plot twist right at the beginning of Streets of Laredo, though) but I'm not sure they were needed. That's my opinion. I read them in the order they were written (so chronologically, story 4 then 1 then 2).
Thank you for that. I'll probably not read them then (I've read similar comments elsewhere). I'd rather keep the memories from Lonesome Dove (and reread it a couple times more).

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2014, 05:43:54 AM »
Currently, I am reading the Allan Quatermain adventure stories by H. Rider Haggard. The most famous of the Quatermain stories is “King Solomon’s Mines”. These stories can’t be beat for pure action with a touch of the supernatural sprinkled in here and there. I read these source of stories when I was in high school and figured it was time I revisited them.
If you haven't read them yet, the Tarzan series by Edgar Rice Burroughs is fun adventure too. 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #214 on: July 19, 2014, 02:14:11 PM »
I just finished the last 3/4ths of The Big Short, by Michael Lewis. 200 pages in one sitting, good day...

I don't know what I'll read next though. I love this genre so it probably won't be anything too far afield.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: July 19, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
Shadows on the Rock, by Willa Cather. Also, (reading two books at once, kind of alternating from one to the other) Redcoats: The British soldier and War in the Americas, 1755-1763, by Stephen Brumwell.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #216 on: July 19, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
Took a break from a book on plant genetics and breeding to start re-reading A Guide to the Good Life. Then, for something completely different, I started The Windup Girl - pretty great so far.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #217 on: July 19, 2014, 08:39:18 PM »
Reading John McPhee's the Founding Fish. It's about the American Shad, a fish that comes up river to spawn, primarily in the East. Half memoir, half ecology, half history. Really great so far.

Also, just got from the library:

* Flour, water, salt, yeast
* Eliot Coleman's New Organic Gardener
* Edible Wild Mushrooms of Illinois
* The Ashley Book of Knots

My reading-eyes were probably bigger than my reading-stomach.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: July 21, 2014, 04:47:13 PM »
Half way through "Paris Letters: One woman's journey from the fast lane to a slow stroll in Paris." Loving it! Recommended on a summer reading forum here on MMM. Its by Janice MacLeod and was carried by my local library. Three cheers for the library!!!

Edited to add: Just finished this book today and can't say enough about it! So enjoyable. At the end, she lists 2 pages of mustachian things she did to save money (though she didn't call them mustachian things! haha) A nice book for those who don't like fiction .. its more of a meandering biography.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:50:12 PM by 1967mama »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2014, 11:51:15 PM »
Just started "Made From Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life" which I read about on one of the forums here. First chapter was on chicken husbandry. So far, so good.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #220 on: July 28, 2014, 12:07:26 AM »
A Memory of Light (final Wheel of Time book).

Almost there... can't wait to finally finish this series a decade and a half after starting it!

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: July 28, 2014, 12:46:46 AM »

Almost there... can't wait to finally finish this series a decade and a half after starting it!

I feel so guilty about stopping at book 6 and declaring I wouldn't read any more until the author finished it or died!

Speaking of which, I am reading The Islands of Chaldea by Diana Wynne Jones (author of Howl's Moving Castle, for any Studio Ghibli fans out there). Her sister Ursula finished it after Diana died.

And I'm also reading Caroline Grahame's The Killings at Badgers Drift, the first of the books Midsomer Murders is based on. The writing is beautiful, although the views and technology are occasionally jarring (1987 just keeps feeling further and further away).

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: July 28, 2014, 05:39:01 AM »
And I'm also reading Caroline Grahame's The Killings at Badgers Drift, the first of the books Midsomer Murders is based on. The writing is beautiful, although the views and technology are occasionally jarring (1987 just keeps feeling further and further away).
1987's closer to JFK's assassination than to present day. Did that make you feel older?

Love Midsomer Murders by the way, so I might pick up that book as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #223 on: July 28, 2014, 06:19:07 AM »
Read "The Windup Girl" by Paulo Bacigalupi. Highly recommend for sci-FI fans.

DW reminded me that she pre-ordered the new Magicians book by Lev Grossman, which comes out on my birthday, so I'll be rereading the first two books.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2014, 06:32:52 AM »
War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier, by John F. Ross.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: July 28, 2014, 06:41:29 AM »

Conjou

• Stubble
« Reply #226 on: July 28, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
Jaron Lanier's "Who Owns the Future?"

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #227 on: July 28, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »
1987's closer to JFK's assassination than to present day. Did that make you feel older?

Not as old as getting flirted at by someone who was born after Jurassic Park (the movie) came out. I... think that's my cutoff point.

EricL

« Reply #228 on: July 29, 2014, 01:55:33 PM »
Thanks to the iPad I can tag team several:
The Tigress of Forlí: Rennaissance Italy's Most Courageous and Notorious Countess Caterina Riano Sforsa de' Medici by Elizabeth Lev.  La Contessa rubbed shoulders and crossed swords with just about everyone who was anyone in Renaissance Italy.  She played the game of thrones for decades there with difference being she played for lower stakes while the deaths were more common and brutal.  She dished plenty out herself.  She met and out Machiavelli'd Machiavelli, was painted by Botticelli, hung out with Da Vinci, allegedly tried to poison the Pope (like offing a Renaissance Pope was all that bad), pumped out healthy children like crazy (a notable feat when infant mortality was 25%+), and generally irritated men all over Italy in a time when their macho posturing was inversely proportional to their actual manly virtues. 

The Life Plan Diet by Jeffry Life.  Yeah, I've been gaining maximum density.

Goddamned Freaky Monsters by Rick Gualtieri.  A fantasy series book about a nerd vampire.  Not destined for literary greatness (so far) but a pleasant diversion and each book gets a little funnier.  So no sparkling vampires or teen angst.

The $100 Startup by Chris Guilebeau.  A book on how to build a small side hustle business.  OK so far but I need to use it to offer a definitive review.

I'm starting The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker soon per a MMM board recommendation.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #229 on: July 29, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »
Goddamned Freaky Monsters by Rick Gualtieri.  A fantasy series book about a nerd vampire.  Not destined for literary greatness (so far) but a pleasant diversion and each book gets a little funnier.  So no sparkling vampires or teen angst.

I read the first one of that series, and it was really funny. But I was bothered by all the casual sexism in the book, so despite how much I enjoyed the first one, I never picked up any of the rest of the series. Do the later books get less sexist?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #230 on: July 29, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »
I'm reading url and bold tags for days as I update the blogroll. My eyes...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
How to retire the cheapskate way
by Jeff Yeager

EricL

« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »

I read the first one of that series, and it was really funny. But I was bothered by all the casual sexism in the book, so despite how much I enjoyed the first one, I never picked up any of the rest of the series. Do the later books get less sexist?

There is a lot of casual sexism because the main characters are all guys and they're all nerds.  So they're not going to give thoughtful commentary on The Vagina Monologues.  That said, Sally, the experienced vampire that helps the main character gets her own origins book Sunset Strip.  It's totally her POV as a ruthless bad ass vampire with nary a nerd (and damn few sympathetic guys) in sight.  If you like that I think you'll take a shine to the series which is getting better. 

If not, I highly recommend the book on Countess Sforsa.  She'd make a damn good vampire herself. (I forgot to mention she was also an alchemist) In my casual researches I found she's already incorporated into the video game Assassin's Creed as an NPC where they incorporate some of her historical exploits in the game plot. 

Also, have you ever read The Dresden Files?  It's a level above The Tome of Bill series and all the main characters (save a couple of the dimmer villains) are progressive.  Humor doesn't play as much a part but when it emerges from the tall grass it's damn good.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »

There is a lot of casual sexism because the main characters are all guys and they're all nerds.  So they're not going to give thoughtful commentary on The Vagina Monologues.  That said, Sally, the experienced vampire that helps the main character gets her own origins book Sunset Strip.  It's totally her POV as a ruthless bad ass vampire with nary a nerd (and damn few sympathetic guys) in sight.  If you like that I think you'll take a shine to the series which is getting better. 

If not, I highly recommend the book on Countess Sforsa.  She'd make a damn good vampire herself. (I forgot to mention she was also an alchemist) In my casual researches I found she's already incorporated into the video game Assassin's Creed as an NPC where they incorporate some of her historical exploits in the game plot. 

Also, have you ever read The Dresden Files?  It's a level above The Tome of Bill series and all the main characters (save a couple of the dimmer villains) are progressive.  Humor doesn't play as much a part but when it emerges from the tall grass it's damn good.

I'm a nerd (if you couldn't tell from my user id), but just the level and pervavisivness of it through the book put me off on reading anything else from that author. Despite what Rick seems to think, it is possible to be a group of guy nerds and not be to that level of dudebro-ism (ok, I know this isn't a word, but don't know how else to describe the 'boy's club' vibe going on with the group of main characters).

Yes, Dresden Files - love those books! I've been reading them for years and years. :D One of my favorite series.

EricL

« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »
Dudebro-ism is the perfect term.  I like it and the way it's done in the book.  It reminds me of my barracks days.  But it can be off putting to some girls, women, men over 35, and generally anyone in the top 25% IQ range.  Again, I recommend Sunset Strip which is Dudebro free.  It's at least the author's attempt to go beyond it. 

winstonsmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #235 on: August 01, 2014, 10:35:23 AM »

I love the Wheel of Time series.  I have restarted that series so many times, I ended up reading Eye of the World more times than I can count (but it gets better with each read).  I want to give it another try from start to finish.

Right now I'm reading Timeline by Michael Crichton.

-winston
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:37:14 AM by winstonsmith »

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2014, 03:56:22 PM »
Shadow Puppets - Orson Scott Card

Seems to be a love him or hate him author.  I think his writing is spectacular, however he also gets a lot of very negative reviews.  Although, the bulk of those negative reviews seem to contain vicious attacks on his religious beliefs, so I question those critiques of the writing since it may well just be venom spillover from the religious issue.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »
Just started reading Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash (after a brief post-Baroque Cycle recovery). It threw me at first, because the voice is very current, but the future seemed a bit... off. And then I realised it was published in 1992.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »
The Culture Code by Clotaire Rapaille

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2014, 08:38:41 PM »

I love the Wheel of Time series.  I have restarted that series so many times, I ended up reading Eye of the World more times than I can count (but it gets better with each read).  I want to give it another try from start to finish.

I have now officially finished the Wheel of Time!

Felt a little disappointed by the ending of a Memory of Light, but I had an inkling that it would end that way. Still really enjoyed the series.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #240 on: August 04, 2014, 09:26:29 PM »
Still really enjoyed the series.

So odd to hear anyone say that about Wheel of Time. End of an era. The first time I met my current housemate I was billeted at her house on a school choir tour: I was in year 11 and she was in primary school. We didn't make the connection until years later - the only thing I remembered of that visit was that her family had all the WoT books then published!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:51:23 PM by tanhanivar »

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #241 on: August 04, 2014, 09:54:37 PM »
Finally finished Rosehead. Odd book.

Now moved on to 'Games Creatures Play' anthology. I used to HATE anthologies, and now they are like 50% of what I read... strange.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »
Im closing in on the end of Hild.
http://asknicola.blogspot.com/p/hild.html

its enthralling! I cant stop! :)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2014, 10:59:03 AM »
Star Trek Enterprise: Kobayashi Maru, by Michael A. Martin and Andy Mangels.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2014, 10:57:45 AM »
Mortgage Free!, which I saw rec'd somewhere on these boards. So far, pretty radical, and has introduced some ideas and plans of attack to me.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2014, 11:20:04 AM »
Ringworld by Larry Niven

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2014, 11:22:22 AM »
I've been reading a lot of Octavia E. Butler lately -- an African American sci fi writer who put out a lot of great books starting in the 70s.

Just finished Kindred, in which a black woman from 1976 finds herself in Antebellum Maryland. It is so, so good.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »
Non-fiction - What bugged the Dinosaurs? Insects, Disease, and Death in the Cretaceous - and yes, it's about insects and other arthropods, and dinosaurs - what could be more interesting?

Fiction - revisiting Valdemar during Queen Selenay's reign

To come (in transit at the library) - Climate Wars by Gwynne Dyer; I heard him speak on this topic a few years ago, and the book should be very interesting

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »
Postcard Killers - James Patterson

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
I just finished Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick

Fascinating account of North Korea through people who grew up there and eventually left. I was alternating between being horrified and fascinated the entire time. Highly recommended!