Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 766422 times)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1750 on: July 15, 2022, 09:46:42 AM »
'Power and Thrones' by Dan Jones. It's a history of the middle ages and I'm loving it. It's pretty clearly designed for sad Game of Thrones fans, but it's still a ton of fun.

I read one of his other books and thought it was lackluster, but I'm really glad I gave him another shot.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #1751 on: July 15, 2022, 11:49:17 AM »
"The Lost Family, How DNA Testing is Upending Who we Are" by Libby Copeland.  Non-fiction look at the explosion in the use of genetic genealogy home test kits and the family mysteries that are now being uncovered. 

The author outlines the history of genealogy searching pre-internet to present day, interspersed with stories of several "seekers" who originally wanted more info on their family tree.  Predictably, the results can vary from disappointment and rejection all the way to newly discovered family members welcoming them with open arms.
Also includes the tricky issue of law enforcement using these databases to solve crimes, and the potential for insurance companies to discriminate based on genetic health issues. 
Well written, very engrossing, lots to ponder in this brave new world.

As someone who has helped several distantly related DNA relatives solve family mysteries, this book sounds really interesting. 

Thank you!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1752 on: July 16, 2022, 09:58:03 AM »
Currently reading Biased for a book club. Finding it both equal parts horrifying, & super interesting.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1753 on: July 17, 2022, 03:35:54 PM »
World War Z   I have always heard that the novel bore no resemblance to the movie and I can confirm that rumor.   

I'm 2/3rds though and it is an entertaining read, though it isn't the sort of book you can't wait to pick back up or hesitate to put down so you can go to sleep.  Because of its format as a collection of interviews there is no character to follow and to pull you forward.  Each chapter is still quite entertaining and some are kind of chilling in fact.

Still working my way through the Grant bio. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1754 on: July 25, 2022, 03:28:05 PM »
Just started Johann Hari's Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention- and How to Think Deeply Again and it seems like it's going to be great.  I think I added it to my to-read list a while ago based on something I read here (maybe in this thread, but maybe in another) and I do think this community would be very interested. 

I should wait to say anything until I've finished, but I wonder how Hari feels about the subtitle, since he states pretty clearly up front that while there are some techniques he's going to discuss that an individual can use, the problem is really a collective one.  That we really can't get our focus back completely on our own.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1755 on: July 25, 2022, 03:38:20 PM »
World War Z   I have always heard that the novel bore no resemblance to the movie and I can confirm that rumor.   

I'm 2/3rds though and it is an entertaining read, though it isn't the sort of book you can't wait to pick back up or hesitate to put down so you can go to sleep.  Because of its format as a collection of interviews there is no character to follow and to pull you forward.  Each chapter is still quite entertaining and some are kind of chilling in fact.

Still working my way through the Grant bio.

Fun fact: just today I learned that World War Z was written by Mel Brooks’s son.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1756 on: July 25, 2022, 03:51:34 PM »
Finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera.  It did a great job of showing how our internal narratives for our lives sometimes intersect, but never really, truly enmesh with another person. 

Started reading The Complete Short Stories of Hemingway.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1757 on: August 05, 2022, 07:02:13 PM »
I'm reading (audio book) Circe by Madeline Miller.  I finished The Song of Achilles by the same author earlier this year and love them both so much.

These different takes on greek mythological figures are absolutely wonderful.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1758 on: August 06, 2022, 03:54:24 PM »
I'm reading (audio book) Circe by Madeline Miller.  I finished The Song of Achilles by the same author earlier this year and love them both so much.

These different takes on greek mythological figures are absolutely wonderful.

Loved these, too!

I'm reading The Power of Fun: How to Feel Alive Again, which is....not fun.  Maybe I'm just not in the mood for a super didactic book where there are lots of exercises and journaling to be done.  But also, this should just be a magazine article.  80% of it feels like filler.  I think it's a great idea and would literally make our world better if everyone took her (simplified) advice on having more fun, but man I'll be lucky if I can get anything out of it.

I'm also reading Middlemarch, which I've never read and for some reason got the idea I would really like.  I'm only at 4% so I am making no judgments yet, but I hope I don't spend a month reading yet another classic and feel like I don't "get it".

For some comfort food, I'm reading (audio) If It Bleeds by Stephen King.  Novellas.  I'm not the most objective when it comes to this author.  I don't remember a time before I read him.  When I was in elementary school it was Nancy Drew, Sweet Valley Twins and Stephen King.  But these are great, and I'm having a hard time not just sitting still all day listening.  I already feel a headache coming on from lack of activity, so I at least need to get out and walk while I keep listening and then I can tell myself I'm not lazy.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1759 on: September 30, 2022, 02:18:18 PM »
I'm currently reading Escaping Gravity: My Quest to Transform NASA and Launch a New Space Age by Lori Garver. I think it's pretty interesting to hear the inside perspective about how Spaceflight has changed in the United States, how the commercialization of the industry has occurred, and her outlook overall.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1760 on: October 01, 2022, 09:12:40 AM »
Just finished Mary Pipher's newly-published memoir "A Life in Light, Meditations on Impermanence."     She's a retired psychologist and the NY Times best-selling author.  Her books include Women Rowing North and Reviving Ophelia.

Since I'm a senior citizen now myself I found her thoughts and frank descriptions of her childhood and key life events very interesting.  To me one of the big advantages of aging is gaining perspective and insights that were impossible to realize while you're in the midst of things and trying to understand it all based on your own limited experience.

It's an easy read because she's a gifted writer but it's an engaging book describing how conscious enjoyment of even the smallest things can bring much joy during all of life's ups and downs.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1761 on: October 01, 2022, 11:18:51 PM »
"The Evening and the Morning" by Ken Follett. It's a prequel to his classic, "The Pillars of the Earth". I love these kinds of historical epics.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1762 on: October 02, 2022, 09:13:33 AM »
"The Evening and the Morning" by Ken Follett. It's a prequel to his classic, "The Pillars of the Earth". I love these kinds of historical epics.

Oh man, I really liked Pillars of the Earth, but read it when it first came out and barely remember it anymore.  Do I need to re-read it before reading this one to really enjoy?  Maybe I could just read a recap of Pillars...

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1763 on: October 02, 2022, 10:51:17 PM »

Oh man, I really liked Pillars of the Earth, but read it when it first came out and barely remember it anymore.  Do I need to re-read it before reading this one to really enjoy?  Maybe I could just read a recap of Pillars...

Nope, the prequel is set more than a century before the events of "Pillars" so you won't need to remember any of the original's plot to enjoy it.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1764 on: October 04, 2022, 02:28:56 PM »
Since my last update I finished these books:

The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway (good stuff, I think he's a better short story writer than novelist)
My Year of Rest and Relaxation - Moshfegh (my friend describes this book as 'punk rock'.  I agree)
Fight Club - Palahniuk (meh)
Kafka on the Shore - Murakami (my favorite book so far this year)

And I've started on The Recognitions by Gaddis. 

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1765 on: October 22, 2022, 01:03:35 PM »
This interesting book was just published:

The Self Delusion: The New Neuroscience of How We Invent—and Reinvent—Our Identities

Gregory Berns
ASIN ‏ : ‎ B09RWPLK3X

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09RWPLK3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The author´s field is computational neuroscience but he is also a psychiatrist and professor in neuroeconomics.
Extremely well written and (relatively) easily understandable - which is quite an achievement given the subject.
Highly recommended.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1766 on: October 22, 2022, 03:03:30 PM »
Currently working through How to Be Perfect: The Correct Answer to Every Moral Question by Michael Schur, creator of the show The Good Place.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/58484901-how-to-be-perfect

Very interesting, informative, and quite funny.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1767 on: October 23, 2022, 11:25:00 PM »
Currently working through How to Be Perfect: The Correct Answer to Every Moral Question by Michael Schur, creator of the show The Good Place.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/58484901-how-to-be-perfect

Very interesting, informative, and quite funny.

This one is on my waitlist, I'm super excited for it! The Good Place is one of my favorite shows.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1768 on: November 17, 2022, 11:53:48 AM »
I'm reading SPQR, about the history of Rome.  It's a pretty renowned book, as is the historian, I believe, and I can see why.  It's very accessible and not at all dry.  I'm really enjoying it so far, though still in the first third.

As I'm reviewing my to-read list, I'm finding a lot of old non-fiction, particularly then-current hot topics or recent-history type stuff, that I never got around to back in the day and now I wonder if it's too late or if it will be extra interesting to read what the perspective on that was back then vs. now.  A good example is "The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century" by Thomas Friedman.  It was published in 2006 and I can only imagine how anachornistic it will seem to read it so many eventful years later.  It could be a good laugh.  Maybe it could have some insights, but I'm a little skeptical.  Ultimately I think I missed the window for this book and others like it and should clean out my reading list.  But would be interested if anyone here has another perspective.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1769 on: November 18, 2022, 06:49:02 AM »
"Mary Coin" - historical fiction depicting the life of Dorothea Lange and the woman in Lange's iconic photo taken of her and her 2 young children by the side of the road during the Great Depression.

Next up, "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan.  Non fiction, NY Times book award winner of the American Dust Bowl in the Great Depression.  Follows a dozen families in this terrible natural and man-made disaster. 

Yep, not a cheery topic for our book club but it's tied into an exhibit at our local museum which makes it very interesting!  :-)   

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1770 on: November 18, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »
Finished The Recognitions by Gaddis.

Started Pale Fire by Nabokov.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1771 on: December 06, 2022, 04:40:19 PM »
Reading Tom Wolfe’s “A Man in Full.”   They are filming a Netflix series based on the novel, which should be interesting.

I like Wolfe’s writing style.   “The Right Stuff” is of course a classic.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1772 on: December 06, 2022, 05:08:24 PM »
Finished Pale Fire by Nabokov.

Started and finished Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro.

Started The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 05:10:07 PM by Tyson »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1773 on: December 06, 2022, 06:14:49 PM »
I am in the very early pages of two classics that I'm afraid I'm gonna hate.  I'm super bad at giving up on books but I'm not sure I have the wherewithal to grit my teeth and hang in with both of them, which might be for the best.  But, for anyone that knows....do these two books get better once you get into them further?

Walden by Henry David Thoreau.  So far, the flowery language, extensive use of the passive voice and way too many interjections resulting in sentences a half a page long is dragging me down and also giving me flashbacks to law school and legal research.  His writing is very similar to how our statutes across the country are written which is just not very engrossing!  But I feel bad I've never read this when I was younger and am trying to make up for it now.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.  I read The Road and liked it pretty well, but this one feels so impersonal and vague so far.  I haven't gotten attached at all to this kid that I guess is the protagonist?  I don't even have the slightest picture of him in my head.  I heard it was quite violent and I think I can hang with that, but I just hope it builds some more initimacy with or knowledge of the characters?

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1774 on: December 07, 2022, 06:43:38 AM »
I am in the very early pages of two classics that I'm afraid I'm gonna hate.  I'm super bad at giving up on books but I'm not sure I have the wherewithal to grit my teeth and hang in with both of them, which might be for the best.  But, for anyone that knows....do these two books get better once you get into them further?

Walden by Henry David Thoreau.  So far, the flowery language, extensive use of the passive voice and way too many interjections resulting in sentences a half a page long is dragging me down and also giving me flashbacks to law school and legal research.  His writing is very similar to how our statutes across the country are written which is just not very engrossing!  But I feel bad I've never read this when I was younger and am trying to make up for it now.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.  I read The Road and liked it pretty well, but this one feels so impersonal and vague so far.  I haven't gotten attached at all to this kid that I guess is the protagonist?  I don't even have the slightest picture of him in my head.  I heard it was quite violent and I think I can hang with that, but I just hope it builds some more initimacy with or knowledge of the characters?

It took me three tries to get through Blood Meridian. It was good but I don't think I need to read it again. Cormac McCarthy has two new books out that I might try to read.

I recently tried to reread Prince of Tides. I remembered it being good but I couldn't make myself finish it.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1775 on: December 07, 2022, 07:43:03 AM »
I started reading "The Complete Wheel of Time" ebook. 20 yeara go I read the first 3 parts but never got aroudn collecting it, and I don't like collecting series that are not finished (for a reason as this series proves).

But I got the ebook quite some time ago and finally I started it. Average reading time 254 hours. Let's see if I manage it in a year lol.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1776 on: December 07, 2022, 10:27:00 AM »

My opinion is that they both stay what they are at the beginning. If you don't like them so far I doubt you will enjoy reading the whole thing. My advice would be to put them aside and try again in a few years, you might be in a different frame then.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1777 on: December 07, 2022, 11:55:25 AM »
I started reading "The Complete Wheel of Time" ebook. 20 yeara go I read the first 3 parts but never got aroudn collecting it, and I don't like collecting series that are not finished (for a reason as this series proves).

But I got the ebook quite some time ago and finally I started it. Average reading time 254 hours. Let's see if I manage it in a year lol.

I'm a big Wheel of Time fan. I started the series after book 7, so I had a while to get caught up before the remainder of the books were published. Have you checked out the Amazon Prime show?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1778 on: December 07, 2022, 11:58:38 AM »
No, and won't do, even if I had that ;)

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1779 on: December 08, 2022, 09:32:11 AM »
Whenever my kids read a good book, they know to pass it on to me. And so, I am reading "Fashion Kitty."

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1780 on: December 10, 2022, 05:59:07 PM »

So I ended up sticking with Blood Meridian and....having a certain appreciation for it, even though I would not say I enjoyed it.  I'm back at Walden and just finished the first chapter (which is something like 30% of the entire book) and so will probably go on in hopes that the nature part is more interesting than the preachy economics part.  I guess it's ironic that I'm saying that on this forum and I did appreciate some of the mustachianism, but it was a bit over the top.  Particularly the parts about how it's better to burn stuff after someone dies or periodically, rather than reuse stuff, which definitely isn't mustachian.  I have heard some of the controversies over what he wrote vs. what he was actually doing, so will probably read up and remind myself of that after I finish the book, but suffice to say that if it is true that he was just given food and all kinds of unpaid labor then it's not just contradictions and preachiness, it's outright lies....though I thought there was more nuance than that to the controversy.

I somewhat enjoyed Dani Shapiro's new book, Signal Fires, which was well-written even though I'm always a little unsure how to feel about books where the plot is just basic human existence, the kind of small and large tragedies that happen to all of us.  Is it beautiful to examine that in detail or just aggrandizing and boring?  I'm not honestly sure, but in the end that's why I like thrillers and sci-fi and stuff like that better, I think.  I like to read books about things that do NOT happen in my own life.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1781 on: December 10, 2022, 06:44:43 PM »
If you're hoping for good nature writing out of Walden, you might really like Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1782 on: December 10, 2022, 06:54:58 PM »
If you're hoping for good nature writing out of Walden, you might really like Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey.

Read it many years ago, and did like it.  It's also a bit more up my alley since I'm from the desert southwest and feel much more comfortable in that environment than the green tunnels back east.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1783 on: December 13, 2022, 02:28:26 PM »
Desert Solitaire was a great book. Super curmudgeonly and interesting.

I'm reading The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean and Proust and The Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain by Maryanne Wolf--both very interesting

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #1784 on: December 14, 2022, 01:53:01 AM »
Reading Tom Wolfe’s “A Man in Full.”

It's a good book.

I'm reading the Expanse novels and working my way through all the Darktower books (the extended list). I'm reading IT now. I'm really struggling getting through it.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #1785 on: January 09, 2023, 08:10:24 PM »
Just finished "The Maze" by Nelson Demille. Typical John Corey novel. I liked it because of all the ties back to "Plum Island" the first Corey novel (which is excellent).

You do have to read John Corey novels with the understand Demille wanted to create " the most non-politically correct character imaginable." :)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1786 on: January 09, 2023, 09:21:52 PM »
Finished The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood (this book kind of fucked me up).

Started reading The Faerie Queene by Spenser.  A thousand pages of iambic pentameter written in the Middle English style.  Ugh, this one might take me a while to get through!

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1787 on: January 10, 2023, 07:43:06 AM »
Just finished The Algebra of Happiness by Scott Galloway.

A personal memoir of sorts with advice sprinkled into bite sized chapters. The book was certainly interesting a quick read, but I often found Mr. Galloway's life lessons to diverge from the research (which to be fair, he warned me about at the beginning of the book).

I found it interesting enough that I plan on checking out his latest book, Adrift: America in 100 charts, but I'll have to get around to get a dead tree copy (I get the sense the book won't translate well to the Kindle).

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1788 on: January 11, 2023, 08:32:39 AM »
The Passenger and Stella Maris

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1789 on: January 12, 2023, 04:09:16 PM »
Anyone here familiar with the term “living books”?  If so, would love your recommendations for junior high age students.  Thank you!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1790 on: January 13, 2023, 10:09:52 AM »
Fight Night by Miriam Toews

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1791 on: January 14, 2023, 05:53:30 AM »
Starting "The Grapes of Wrath" - a good read for a rainy weekend.  I've only ever seen the movie with Henry Fonda so I'm interested to see how the movie tracks with the book.

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #1792 on: January 16, 2023, 09:58:44 PM »
I'm reading through Ann Cleeves Inspector Ramsay series. I'm onto my 3rd book. I really like it as well. They are shortish and I suppose blandish but it's good.

Just finished Insomnia from Stephen King and I thought it was great. I'm reading The Mist from him now and it's good.

I'm also onto Cibola Burn in The Expanse series. This is a good series although I'm going slow on this one and reading the other books listed above.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1793 on: January 16, 2023, 11:07:05 PM »
Just started Project Hail Mary which seemed like it was on everyone's nightstands like a year or two ago.  Reall enjoying the beginning!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1794 on: January 20, 2023, 06:33:56 AM »
Just started Project Hail Mary which seemed like it was on everyone's nightstands like a year or two ago.  Reall enjoying the beginning!

Fantastic book. I read it again recently.

Andy Weir is my new favorite sci-fi author.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1795 on: January 28, 2023, 11:58:23 AM »

It is great, isn’t it?  His second book was also good but first and third are better.  Artemis?  I think the second.  Definitely worth reading, just not as entertaining as The Martian and Project Hail Mary. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1796 on: January 28, 2023, 01:56:23 PM »
I’m half way through Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver.  I‘be read all her books and in my opinion, this is the best one yet.  It’s a “redo” of David Copperfield, set in today’s Appalachia, written in the first person of the protagonist, an 11 year old boy, who grows up with an unstable mother, then ends up in foster care, which he runs away from.  That’s as far as I’ve gotten.  The writing is believable as coming from a kid that age, albeit a pretty smart and resourceful one, and the pace is fairly quick, with very interesting experiences.  I found it a little dull and hard to read at the beginning, but that improved (don’t know if it was me or the book), and now I’m reading deep into the night.
It’s one of those books where you want to keep reading to see what happens next, but at the same time don’t want to get to the end.
I recommend this book.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1797 on: January 28, 2023, 02:37:59 PM »

It is great, isn’t it?  His second book was also good but first and third are better.  Artemis?  I think the second.  Definitely worth reading, just not as entertaining as The Martian and Project Hail Mary.

Finished it yesterday and had a lot of fun with it.  It was a great story on its own and the science writing was, as advertised, robust.  I mean, maybe just a smidge over the top at a few points?  I guess that seemed consistent with Grace's character, though.  Sometimes a little overenthusiastic. 

Probably at least my fourth favorite sci fi of all time.  I don't think anything could ever really dethrone the place I have in my heart for the Hitchiker's Guide and then The Three Body Problem (books 2 & 3 in particular) were magnificent.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1798 on: January 28, 2023, 09:23:04 PM »
@SunnyDays  Demon Copperhead is an upcoming pick for my book group too, and I'm greatly looking forward. Like you I've read most of Kingsolver's books and find her a thoughtful and interesting writer. The Poisonwood Bible might be her opus, but have liked most of her work.

I'm currently reading Less is Lost by Andrew Sean Greer. It's breezy, deep, funny and sharp all at once. I read the original (also book group) but so happy to have gotten my hands on this one. There was a months-long waitlist at my local library. For some reason, I want to meet all the people in my funky small-town area who read this; I think we could be friends.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1799 on: February 19, 2023, 10:40:13 AM »
Worn: A People’s History of Clothing by Sofi Thanhauser —interesting historical perspective on clothing: linen, cotton, industrialization, slavery, development, colonialism etc. I’m only 1/3 of the way in and it’s not an easy read but well-written. I’m interested in how skills such as cloth-making and clothing construction used to be done in most households and how differently clothing is used (consumed often without any regard to material or waste) these days and how rarified these skills have become.