Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 601971 times)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1750 on: July 15, 2022, 09:46:42 AM »
'Power and Thrones' by Dan Jones. It's a history of the middle ages and I'm loving it. It's pretty clearly designed for sad Game of Thrones fans, but it's still a ton of fun.

I read one of his other books and thought it was lackluster, but I'm really glad I gave him another shot.

Turtle

• Stubble
« Reply #1751 on: July 15, 2022, 11:49:17 AM »
"The Lost Family, How DNA Testing is Upending Who we Are" by Libby Copeland.  Non-fiction look at the explosion in the use of genetic genealogy home test kits and the family mysteries that are now being uncovered. 

The author outlines the history of genealogy searching pre-internet to present day, interspersed with stories of several "seekers" who originally wanted more info on their family tree.  Predictably, the results can vary from disappointment and rejection all the way to newly discovered family members welcoming them with open arms.
Also includes the tricky issue of law enforcement using these databases to solve crimes, and the potential for insurance companies to discriminate based on genetic health issues. 
Well written, very engrossing, lots to ponder in this brave new world.

As someone who has helped several distantly related DNA relatives solve family mysteries, this book sounds really interesting. 

Thank you!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1752 on: July 16, 2022, 09:58:03 AM »
Currently reading Biased for a book club. Finding it both equal parts horrifying, & super interesting.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1753 on: July 17, 2022, 03:35:54 PM »
World War Z   I have always heard that the novel bore no resemblance to the movie and I can confirm that rumor.   

I'm 2/3rds though and it is an entertaining read, though it isn't the sort of book you can't wait to pick back up or hesitate to put down so you can go to sleep.  Because of its format as a collection of interviews there is no character to follow and to pull you forward.  Each chapter is still quite entertaining and some are kind of chilling in fact.

Still working my way through the Grant bio. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1754 on: July 25, 2022, 03:28:05 PM »
Just started Johann Hari's Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention- and How to Think Deeply Again and it seems like it's going to be great.  I think I added it to my to-read list a while ago based on something I read here (maybe in this thread, but maybe in another) and I do think this community would be very interested. 

I should wait to say anything until I've finished, but I wonder how Hari feels about the subtitle, since he states pretty clearly up front that while there are some techniques he's going to discuss that an individual can use, the problem is really a collective one.  That we really can't get our focus back completely on our own.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1755 on: July 25, 2022, 03:38:20 PM »
World War Z   I have always heard that the novel bore no resemblance to the movie and I can confirm that rumor.   

I'm 2/3rds though and it is an entertaining read, though it isn't the sort of book you can't wait to pick back up or hesitate to put down so you can go to sleep.  Because of its format as a collection of interviews there is no character to follow and to pull you forward.  Each chapter is still quite entertaining and some are kind of chilling in fact.

Still working my way through the Grant bio.

Fun fact: just today I learned that World War Z was written by Mel Brooks’s son.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1756 on: July 25, 2022, 03:51:34 PM »
Finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera.  It did a great job of showing how our internal narratives for our lives sometimes intersect, but never really, truly enmesh with another person. 

Started reading The Complete Short Stories of Hemingway.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1757 on: August 05, 2022, 07:02:13 PM »
I'm reading (audio book) Circe by Madeline Miller.  I finished The Song of Achilles by the same author earlier this year and love them both so much.

These different takes on greek mythological figures are absolutely wonderful.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1758 on: August 06, 2022, 03:54:24 PM »
I'm reading (audio book) Circe by Madeline Miller.  I finished The Song of Achilles by the same author earlier this year and love them both so much.

These different takes on greek mythological figures are absolutely wonderful.

Loved these, too!

I'm reading The Power of Fun: How to Feel Alive Again, which is....not fun.  Maybe I'm just not in the mood for a super didactic book where there are lots of exercises and journaling to be done.  But also, this should just be a magazine article.  80% of it feels like filler.  I think it's a great idea and would literally make our world better if everyone took her (simplified) advice on having more fun, but man I'll be lucky if I can get anything out of it.

I'm also reading Middlemarch, which I've never read and for some reason got the idea I would really like.  I'm only at 4% so I am making no judgments yet, but I hope I don't spend a month reading yet another classic and feel like I don't "get it".

For some comfort food, I'm reading (audio) If It Bleeds by Stephen King.  Novellas.  I'm not the most objective when it comes to this author.  I don't remember a time before I read him.  When I was in elementary school it was Nancy Drew, Sweet Valley Twins and Stephen King.  But these are great, and I'm having a hard time not just sitting still all day listening.  I already feel a headache coming on from lack of activity, so I at least need to get out and walk while I keep listening and then I can tell myself I'm not lazy.